Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Look back throught the thread, I think someone said they bought an after market adapter and it worked with executive spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

As far as I am aware, all trims have the capability for V2L, you just need to buy the adapter. Higher spec cars have the interior V2L socket in addition.

Cheaper than the Hyundai/Kia one... https://evcables.co.uk/collections/vehicle-to-load-cables/products/hyundai-kia-vehicle-to-load-v2l-discharge-cable

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Trip from Wexford to Cork today via Lehys Farm (started at 100% and finished at 58%). Very comfortable and relaxed journey with a well packed car (buggy, travel cot, mattress, three suitcases and two large sized shopping bags). Can't complain about that efficiency and I don't think I've ever seen similar on my ID3 even with just myself in the car (although I've not driven the ID3 in similar conditions).

I have to say I wasn't a fan of the built in sat nav, very poor in comparison to my ID3. Seemed to be very slow to update on upcoming turns and routed me down some roads that seemed to take much longer than my usual route. Back to Android Auto next time though.

Post edited by TitianGerm on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

58 is perfect for you.

I’ve the 52 ID4, have done 8k since April and have not had any regrets 95% home charging and charged on a public fast charger about 4 times.

the range should be about 300km, how often do you drive 300km without stopping for a few hours ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have about 7000km on my 58kWh, including one Dublin trip and a couple of Mullingar runs from Westport. Not once has it ever crossed my mind to wish I had a bigger battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭grennscreener

throwing my 2cents in on the smaller vs bigger battery. Just under 15k kms done with the 58kwh battery, I've had 1 occasion that I wished I'd the bigger battery and even then, to be honest it wouldn't have made a big difference I think. 99.9% of the rest of the time, the battery size has not been an issue what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes the missus is also very happy with the smaller battery, efficiency seems excellent in the warmer months when she is doing most of her longer runs. A recent trip from Co Wexford to Bantry was easy, quick top up each way at Cork. Amazed that such a big car can easily better 15kWh/100km on normal roads..

Yeah, I really need to hit motorways to average more than 20kWh/100km in mild to warm weather. I took a spin to Leenane at the weekend and returned to Westport via Louisburgh, averaging around 13.3 for the whole trip, and that's despite some hilly bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Just passed 15k on ours, a 58kw too and long term average since new is down to 18.4kwh. Definitely glad we didn't stretch to the larger battery.

In the colder weather around 19 seemed to be our average but in the mild weather it's mostly between 15 and 16. Even less if it's mostly backroad/shower urban driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭yer man!

Yeah you're right. I get generally stop off at the circle K near Athlone if I'm going to Galway from Dublin. That would be the most frequent long distance trip. I do hope those ionity charges don't get too full all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

how do u compare both cars? i have id3 1st and thinking about changing to ioniq 5 too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John arse

Anyone had a look at the upcoming ioniq 6?,beautiful imo-might look at one next year.

I am not TitianGerm 😊 but just a little on our experiences of owning the two cars. Often had the opportunity to take either car, but personally I usually preferred to take the ID.3 providing I didn't need the extra space. Preferred the eco assist and the general more sporty handling and performance, but our Ioniq 5 is the lower powered smaller battery version. Also not a great fan of all the buttons and paddles etc on the Hyundai.

But the wife would disagree with me😁.

Of course the Ioniq is a larger more substantial car, ride comfort being better as well. Efficiency wise, the VW is perhaps 10% better, but not much in it in reality.

Very similar to what Eagerv said above. Both cars have pros and cons but if it was a trip around locally (no long motorway run) I'd take the ID3 everyday, for a longer journey on motorway or N roads I'd take the Ioniq 5.

Things I prefer on the ID3 (58KW 1ST) are the extra power, faster acceleration, and tighter steering. I love the uncluttered instrument cluster, the single armrest and wireless android auto. I also love Eco Assist and of all the EVs I've driven this coupled with D mode on the ID cars just suits my driving style perfectly.

Things I prefer on the Ioniq 5 (73KW Executive Plus) are how stable it feels when driving at motorway speeds, the excellent seats, the ability to recline the rear seats, the extra space in the cabin and extra luggage space (we brought three suitcases, a buggy, a travel cot, mattress and two bags of supplies on a few days away and it all fit in the boot/frunk). The auto lane follow on the cruise control is nice to have on longer journeys. Being able to slide the centre console is a handy feature as well if you prefer space in the front of the car. Glove box is huge as well, it's like a filing cabinet.

Something that I think is great on the ID3 over the Ioniq 5 is how you turn on and off the car. In the ID3 you sit in and off you go, no need to press any button. When you get to your destination you just get off the seat and the car turns off. This is something you get very used to and it's often had me trying to drive off in the Ioniq without actually starting the car or getting out of the car and leaving it on only to hear the beeps that the car is still running!!

I'll have the ID3 two years in October and it's been pretty solid over that time. I'm very happy I bought it and I'll either keep it for another 5+ years or I'll sell it before the end of the year and trade down to something with small range as it Ioniq 5 is the family car now so we don't "need" two cars with loads of range.

On a separate note i couldn't figure out if the Ioniq 5 slows down to match the speed signs when using cruise control. With all the new speed traps in Dublin this is a feature I'll want to use heading that direction from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Cancelled order for platinum 77kwh, going to hold out for the Ioniq 6 which will probably be an 232 plate.

thanks! will need to get test drive for sure. surprising how many differences is there!

thanks - did i see somewhere that u got Model 3 also?

Yes, sold my ID.3 for the Model 3.

Now I never want to take the Ioniq 5.....😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20 outlyer

The cruise control, if in Highway Drive Assist “HDA” mode, will slow down to match the speed limit. This is limited though.

1.      You set the cruise control to the speed limit

2.      You must be on a motorway (as far as I can see). E.g. it won’t slow down on the Athlone Bypass as the motorway ends and the assist stops operating, instead of reducing the set speed.

3.      It sees or otherwise picks up adjacent speed limits and can adjust the set speed unexpectedly!

Great use on unfamiliar motorway networks but less so on Irish motorways with few online speed restrictions. 

So the tesla beats the hyundai hands down?(or were you joking?)🤔

• Advertisement

Very different cars, but for me I would prefer the Model 3.

The Ioniq is of course the more practical car if you need the room..

Yeah fair play,i thought you were dismissing the hyundai out of hand,i've been looking at the upcoming ioniq 6-seems impressive.we'll see👍

No, quite the opposite. The Ioniq 5 is a great car, we love it (belongs to the missus). And far more efficient than it should be for its' bulk and shape.

But personally I don't need such a big car, preferring a lower more performance oriented car. The efficiency of the Tesla is excellent, long journeys are so simple especially with Tesla Supercharging (Though I rarely need in this country). And software and updates are so much easier than other manufacturers.

Horses for courses, we all have different needs and preferences. I did consider an Ioniq 5 for myself, but wasn't for me. The Ioniq 6 should be a fine car, will definitely have a look in a few years.

Ah so it's performance v comfort(even though you don't realise it)but ultimately don't ever forget-the missus is always right!🙈

Thanks for that. I'll check my specs again but I think the Executive Plus does have HDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

Folks, I've few preferences and I why I didn't switch from the BMW i3 to the ID3.

1. I like one pedal driving and maximum regen where the car comes to a complete stop by regen.
    2. I like no creep and car moving off only when you hit the accelerator.
    3. I like automatic parking breaking disengage when you hit the accelerator.

Can Ioniq 5 do that?

The ID3 can do number two and number three on your list if you turn on auto hold.

How is regen in ioniq? I like the one in id3. Can ioniq Cruise as well as id3?

• Advertisement

Regen is fine in the Ioniq, the usual Hyundai paddles. The one strange thing if you like zero regen, which I do, then there is no regen on the brake pedal. So not the best to use. There is an auto regen, but not as good as the VW system IMO.

Both cars great on the open road, the Ioniq 5 perhaps a little more stable at speed.

Advertisement