Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2021 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Astro's Playroom is propaganda? I've heard it all now...

I prefer sony circle jerk. And it's so good I'm happy to be in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Yeah, I'll take circle-jerk over propaganda.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s a case to be made that Astro’s Playroom is the most overt exercise in corporate myth making in the video game space since the Pepsiman game, and that its artistic accomplishments are undermined somewhat by it doubling up as a glorified advert.

There’s also a strong case to be made that GGPPPPUUUUUUU TELLL MMEEE WHATTT TO DO.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Astro's Playroom is propaganda? I've heard it all now...

It hits all the same points anyway , not saying its going to influence the rise of a despot.

But it is a glorified advert for how great sony is don't get me wrong I highly enjoyed it and its not harmful, but that's just my take on it anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Game|Platform|Game|Platform
    Megaman X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||
    13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4||
    Broken Sword: Director's Cut|PC||
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert|PC||
    Mischief Makers|N64||
    Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (DLC)|PC||
    Deception 4: Blood Ties|PS4||
    Final Fantasy Adventure|Gameboy||
    Virtua Racing|Switch||
    Thief 2: The Metal Age|PC||

Thief 2: The Metal Age

Finished on Expert Difficulty. If you want to play the Thief games you have to play on Expert. It doesn't raise the difficulty and just adds extra objectives to stages.

Also installed a few mods. HD Textures that look fantastic even if the geometry is still really lofi. Also some odds to reinstate graphical effects like weather and fog that don't play nice with modern GPUs.

Thief 2's biggest flaw is that Thief 1 exists. While Thief 2 is one of the best games ever made I didn't find it as good as the first game. I miss the supernatural elements of the first game and the level variety. There's two pretty bad levels in the game, one in the Maw which is a confusing mess and another set in the lost city which seems interesting with a roving target you have to kidnap but it ultimately frustrating and a pain to get around. The rest of the levels however are solid gold with levels like Life of the Party being one of the greatest pieces of level design ever.

Thief 2 is pretty much a reminder of how great PC gaming was during that era. You just don't get the same type of genre experimentation you get now. There's nothing quite like Thief, other than maybe Dishonored or Deus Ex. It's sound propagation system has also never been bettered. You can tell where an enemy is just by their sound. Modern games use a line of sight method which isn't as complex or as accurate as Thief's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

#|Game|Platform
    1| Resident Evil 3| PlayStation 4|
    2| Resident Evil 4| PlayStation 4|
    3| Yakuza Kiwami| PlayStation 4|
    4| Yakuza Kiwami 2| PlayStation 4|
    5| Endless Fable 3: Dark Moor| PlayStation 4|
    6| Cube Escape: The Lake| Android|
    7| The Secret Order 7: Shadow Breach| PlayStation 4
    8| A Plague Tale: Innocence| PlayStation 4|
    9| Ghost Files: Memory of a Crime| PlayStation 4|
    10| Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka With Love| PlayStation 4|
    11| Anodyne| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    12| Dandara| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    13| Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    14| Dead Space 2| PlayStation 3|
    15| Dead Space 3| PlayStation 3

Dead Space 3

I finished Dead Space 3 and although I'm glad I finished the series it was definitely a step down from the previous entries. A lot of the claustrophobic setting is gone losing the horror elements and the weapon crafting system is quite simply terrible. It seems as if it was created purely to garner micro-transactions but it really didn't work at all as a game mechanic.

The set pieces are still good, the action fun and the story decent enough but the convoluted weapons system and lack of horror elements made this final entry a somewhat disappointing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Dead Space 3

I finished Dead Space 3 and although I'm glad I finished the series it was definitely a step down from the previous entries. A lot of the claustrophobic setting is gone losing the horror elements and the weapon crafting system is quite simply terrible. It seems as if it was created purely to garner micro-transactions but it really didn't work at all as a game mechanic.

The set pieces are still good, the action fun and the story decent enough but the convoluted weapons system and lack of horror elements made this final entry a somewhat disappointing one.

The DLC for Dead Space 3 - Awakened - was a lot more horror focused and a lot more interesting than the main game.

Megaman X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||
    Mischief Makers|N64||
    Virtua Racing|Switch||
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead|PC||

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead

I adored Medal of Honor Allied Assault on PC on release. I was looking forward to it being a big fan of the PS1 games and it didn't disappoint, it was the best FPS I had played since Half-Life. Allied Assault made a mockery of the later PS2 release MoH Frontline, which was kind of crap despite what reviews say. In case anyone doesn't know MoH AA is a very important game. It was the first game full game by 2015 (they had previously produced the expansion for SIN which was much better than the base game) who would later go on to become Infinity Ward. I decided I needed a quick comfort game and saw I had this on GoG and I never played the AA expansions and heard they were good if short. Spearhead is the first expansion.

You can see a lot of the trappings of the later CoD games are very much present in this game and it feels very like a proto CoD.... a very proto CoD. Graphically it doesn't really hold up. Where once the scripting looked amazing, the explosion effects were top class and I remember marveling at how the character models had animated fingers, time has not been kind. It's a little bit ropey. It's also evident in the gameplay where the missions are a little bit ropey with a lot of areas with bizarre enemy spawning locations. This would all be sorted with the first CoD but it isn't quite there yet. It's also very weird to play a FPS without iron sight aiming.

I'm not sure if the original game has these issues as well. Been a very long time since I played it and I did hear Spearhead's mission design was highly rated at the time. I had fun with this despite the flaws. The russian level (where you play an american sent to help the russians win the war.... :rolleyes:) is a little half baked. The vehicle levels as well are more annoying than fun as there is no way to regain health so you care your health pool for the entire level. One bad section can leave you screwed. It's pretty short as well, about 3 hours. Not an entirely bad trip down memory lane, but a bit of a shock to the rose tinted glasses. I'll probably give the second expansion, Breakthrough, a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jesus some of ye finish a fierce amount of games!

I finally finished Subnautica, excellent game and highly recommended for people who want a relaxing open world underwater sandbox crafting game that is actually good, has a story and an ending. You can plough through it, or take your sweet time. Visually amazing, controls really well, and doesn't put a grind in unless you want to grind. I think it's also one of the free games for everyone with Play, so everyone should get this and try it.

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2|Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(PS4 version)
    3| Remnant from the ashes | PS5(PS4)
    4| Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5| FFX HD remaster | Switch
    6| AC:Odyssey | PS5(PS4)
    7|Resident evil 3:remake | PS5(PS4)
    8|Halo 5: Guardians | Xbox Series X
    9| State of Decay 2 | Xbox Series X
    10| Nioh 2 remastered | PS5
    11|Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12| Crash 4 | PS5

Crash 4

Toys for bob did a great job on this game, the use of different masks is great but the last few levels are extremely tough, that require pinpoint jumping. Enjoyed it though and the artstyle is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Just finished System Shock 2 on PC (with graphic mods , otherwise vanilla).What a game. Can see why it's mentioned when Bioshock is discussed.

System shock 2 is bioshock but better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    System shock 2 is bioshock but better.
    Yeah I think so...the use of audio is excellent. Let me sit and digest the game and I'll get back :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

#|Game|Platform
    15| Dead Space 3| PlayStation 3|
    16| Medievil| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    17| Broken Age| PlayStation 4|
    18| Call of Duty Blacks Ops 3 (Campaign only)| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    19| Unmechanical Extended| PlayStation 4

Four short enough games to add to the list.

Medievil

I never played the original but if the camera is this bad in the remake I can only imagine what it was like in a original! This was a struggle to get through, combat is basically button mashing or spam long range attacks. The boss fights are good and some levels are well designed but the camera really shouldn't be this bad on a PS4 game.

Broken Age

i was really enjoying this game until about half way through when the puzzles became too obtuse to figure out without looking at a guide. This seems to happen to me with too many point and click games. Maybe I'm not logical enough for them. Irony Curtain is still best one I've played recently.

Call of Duty Black Ops 3

I played the campaign only, I've zero interest in online multiplayer and only played it as it's leaving PS Now soon. Fairly by the numbers stuff but the controls etc are so good that it's an enjoyable experience to play. Story is nonsense though. I'm sure the game has lots more to offer others outside the campaign but it's not for me.

Unmechanical Extended

This is a short but excellent puzzle game. I completed it in a single afternoon. Controls are good, puzzles are good and not too difficult to figure out. Really enjoyable short game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Kingp35 wrote: »
    #|Game|Platform
    19| Unmechanical Extended| PlayStation 4

Four short enough games to add to the list.

Medievil

I never played the original but if the camera is this bad in the remake I can only imagine what it was like in a original! This was a struggle to get through, combat is basically button mashing or spam long range attacks. The boss fights are good and some levels are well designed but the camera really shouldn't be this bad on a PS4 game.

Broken Age

i was really enjoying this game until about half way through when the puzzles became too obtuse to figure out without looking at a guide. This seems to happen to me with too many point and click games. Maybe I'm not logical enough for them. Irony Curtain is still best one I've played recently.

Call of Duty Black Ops 3

I played the campaign only, I've zero interest in online multiplayer and only played it as it's leaving PS Now soon. Fairly by the numbers stuff but the controls etc are so good that it's an enjoyable experience to play. Story is nonsense though. I'm sure the game has lots more to offer others outside the campaign but it's not for me.

Unmechanical Extended

This is a short but excellent puzzle game. I completed it in a single afternoon. Controls are good, puzzles are good and not too difficult to figure out. Really enjoyable short game.

Interesting you say that re the camera on medieval. I played the demo and it was awful, avoided the game since solely due to this but since it came to psnow I've been tempted to give it a go in the hope it might have been fixed since. Shame it hasn't been sorted

I just remember being thoroughly unimpressed with Medievil. It was never any good and the remake remaining faithful to the original was setting it up for a fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME Guitar Hero III
    PLATFORM Xbox 360

My fiancée bugged me and bugged me over and over for months to play Guitar Hero again, but I kept telling her the guitars were gone fair expensive nowadays, so we were holding off on the idea for a while.

I was visiting my mother last weekend and decided to go up into the loft to see if there was anything belonging to me. Lo and behold I found the proverbial jackpot; my two Guitar Hero guitars along with my wired Rock Band guitar and drum kit (dunno where the microphone went), so I brought them all home and ordered more GH games, one of them being Guitar Hero 3.

Just did a quick run of the career mode. Oh the memories came flooding back. I used to play these games to death back when they were at their peak of popularity. I'm surprised I was able to still pick it up and play almost as good as I used to, well at least on Medium mode. I'll never play those games on Hard or higher - not coordinated in the slightest for that one. The final "battle" at the end was ridiculous but I managed after the 3rd or 4th attempt. Don't even get me started on the end credits where you have to play 'Through the Fire and the Flames' (here it is being played on expert mode - fúck that)

Dying to play more of these again. I now have Guitar Hero II, III, Aerosmith, World Tour and Metallica. So we both have a lot to keep ourselves busy over the weekend.

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM

1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PS4|11|NEOGEO BATTLE COLISEUM|XBOX 360|21|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3|PC|31|JAK & DAXTER|PS3

2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PS4|12|FATAL FURY (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|22|STREET FIGHTER 3: NEW GENERATION|PC|32|LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA|PC

3|GRIS|PS4|13|STREET FIGHTER|PC|23|STREET FIGHTER 3: 2ND IMPACT|PC|33|GUITAR HERO III|XBOX 360

4|SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD|PS4|14|STREET FIGHTER 2: THE WORLD WARRIOR|PC|24|STREET FIGHTER 3: 3RD STRIKE|PC

5|STREETS OF RAGE 4|SWITCH|15|STREET FIGHTER 2: CHAMPION EDITION|PC|25|SHANK|PC

6|KING OF FIGHTERS '94 (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|16|STREET FIGHTER 2: HYPER FIGHTING|PC|26|SHANK 2|PC

7|KING OF FIGHTERS '95|PS4|17|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2: THE NEW CHALLENGERS|PC|27|BLACK MESA|PC

8|KING OF FIGHTERS '96|PS4|18|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2 TURBO|PC|28|HALF-LIFE 2|PC

9|KING OF FIGHTERS '97: GLOBAL MATCH|PS4|19|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA|PC|29|LITTLE NIGHTMARES 2|XBOX ONE

10|KING OF FIGHTERS '98: ULTIMATE MATCH|PS4|20|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2|PC|30|WARRIORS OF FATE|SWITCH

Megaman X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||
    Mischief Makers|N64||
    Virtua Racing|Switch||
    Crysis Remaster|PC||

Crysis Remaster

I wasn't that big a fan of Farcry. The AI is shonky and when the mutants arrive the game gets pretty bad. I always figured Crysis would be the same, a tech demo with slightly ropey gameplay. It definitely retains the shonky AI but Crysis is actually a pretty good game. It still looks gorgeous and the level of destruction you can cause is hilarious and impressive. However the nano-suits various functions make Crysis a lot of fun. Stealth is a little bit janky but even if you get caught the fire fights are wild and fun.

I heard a lot of complaints about how the game goes downhill with the introduction of the aliens but it's not as bad as I was lead to believe, these sections only last a couple of minutes.

The remasters graphics are a bit of a mixed bag. You get better lighting but then bafflingly they reduce the reaction of the vegetation to stuff like grenades. I really liked that attention to detail in the original. It's a strange in between meaning there's still no definitive edition of the game. The software ray tracing is nice despite the large performance cost. I noticed some flaws in it but it's impressive it works. I'm still however not convinced ray tracing adds anything to games that traditional rendering can't already do to give 'close enough' results. Maybe when we have full path traced games but we aren't close to that yet with current tech.

Not the best FPS ever but it's still a heap of fun.

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2|Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(PS4 version)
    3| Remnant from the ashes | PS5(PS4)
    4| Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5| FFX HD remaster | Switch
    6| AC:Odyssey | PS5(PS4)
    7|Resident evil 3:remake | PS5(PS4)
    8|Halo 5: Guardians | Xbox Series X
    9| State of Decay 2 | Xbox Series X
    10| Nioh 2 remastered | PS5
    11|Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12| Crash 4 | PS5
    13| Gears of War 4 | Xbox Series X
    14| Dex | Switch

Gears of wars 4

Was a great blast to play through this, but couldn't get over the short length and it seemed a tad rushed. I also found it didn't have much of its own identity it was all a throwback to the original trilogy.

Heard gears 5 is the business so will get round to it soon enough god bless game pass.

Dex

A nice short little nindie title I picked up for I think around a 5er. Best way to describe it is a 2d side scrolling action platformer with cyberpunk themes. It was good story wise and was only around 9 or so hours to finish. First appeared on the vita I believe?

The only major criticism would be that the hacking sections were an odd choice in comparison to the rest of the game, like a bad version of geometry wars.

Currently playing Valkyira chronicles 4 on ps5 and booted up outriders on series x last night, Enjoying the latter more as its brainless fun and there are not endless cutscenes in-between battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty cold war - PS4
    A plague tale innocence - Xbox one
    Fifa 20 - Xbox one
    Hotshot racing - Xbox one
    Mafia - PS4
    Resident evil 3 - PS4
    The walking dead a new frontier - Xbox one

Hitman 2 - PS4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME: Guitar Hero: Metallica
    PLATFORM: Xbox 360

Any Metallica fan will know how hard and/or fast and/or long their songs can be and this translated into a very challenging Guitar Hero title, and I loved every minute of it. A few more bands were added to it to fatten up the soundtrack but I would've preferred if it was nothing BUT Metallica on this. There are a few songs I would've preferred to have in here.

Nevertheless this was fun from start to finish.

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM

1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PS4|11|NEOGEO BATTLE COLISEUM|XBOX 360|21|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3|PC|31|JAK & DAXTER|PS3

2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PS4|12|FATAL FURY (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|22|STREET FIGHTER 3: NEW GENERATION|PC|32|LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA|PC

3|GRIS|PS4|13|STREET FIGHTER|PC|23|STREET FIGHTER 3: 2ND IMPACT|PC|33|GUITAR HERO III|XBOX 360

4|SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD|PS4|14|STREET FIGHTER 2: THE WORLD WARRIOR|PC|24|STREET FIGHTER 3: 3RD STRIKE|PC|34|GUITAR HERO: METALLICA|XBOX 360

5|STREETS OF RAGE 4|SWITCH|15|STREET FIGHTER 2: CHAMPION EDITION|PC|25|SHANK|PC

6|KING OF FIGHTERS '94 (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|16|STREET FIGHTER 2: HYPER FIGHTING|PC|26|SHANK 2|PC

7|KING OF FIGHTERS '95|PS4|17|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2: THE NEW CHALLENGERS|PC|27|BLACK MESA|PC

8|KING OF FIGHTERS '96|PS4|18|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2 TURBO|PC|28|HALF-LIFE 2|PC

9|KING OF FIGHTERS '97: GLOBAL MATCH|PS4|19|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA|PC|29|LITTLE NIGHTMARES 2|XBOX ONE

10|KING OF FIGHTERS '98: ULTIMATE MATCH|PS4|20|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2|PC|30|WARRIORS OF FATE|SWITCH

Megaman X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||
    Mischief Makers|N64||
    Virtua Racing|Switch||
    Crysis Remaster|PC||
    God of War: Chain of Olympus|PS3||

God of War: Chain of Olympus

This is a HD port of the PSP game. I liked this game a lot more than I expected. It's a nice condensed GoW experience for a handheld and doesn't translate too badly to the PS3. In fact I'd rate it above GoW3 which I didn't enjoy. It's a nice brisk game as well.

Graphically it's a bit rough. It's not quite the level of graphical polish as the PS2 games but for a PSP game it was stunning so not really the games fault it looks a little basic on the PS3. Performance on the PS3 can be iffy. It runs mostly at a stable 60 FPS but the PS3's ineptitude with transparencies means some busy scenes can chug and even some tearing can creep in although this is rare.

The game has a few flaws related to the handheld nature of the game. It tries to cram in too many controls into too few buttons meaning you can forget how to activate some moves when you return to the game. Also the game will present you with a mechanic then forget about it until much later when you have forgotten it (the last boss did this to me, thanks gamefaqs!).

The story is overwrought guff but then it's GoW. It's a prequel meaning Kratos isn't the completely unlikeable bellend from GoW2 and beyond. He has a shred of humanity. The gameplay is full of enough spectacle and fun to make it a quick compelling blast. It surprised me.

Even better is that I heard the sequel, Ghost of Sparta is a big improvement on an already pretty good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DanielGuigui

Just yesterday, I finished playing Detroit Become Human, and ... damn, what a fine story it was. I know I'm a bit late playing that one, but I wanted to make sure that my computer can run it in a somewhat decent setting before starting it.

Anyway, the other most recent games I finished are:
    - Disco Elysium (loved the whole isomorphic perspective and narrative story elements)
    - Return of the Obra Dinn (I kind of love detective stories :-P)
    - Resident Evil 2 (just for old times sake, and I find the 2019 version a great remake)
    - Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein the New Order (still super fun and well-paced solo shooter, in my opinion)

#|Game|Platform
    19| Unmechanical Extended| PlayStation 4|
    20| Marvels Avengers| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

Marvels Avengers

I'm not a Marvels fan, I don't watch all the movies so maybe that has something to do with it but I found this game incredibly dull. The story, gameplay, just everything was completely meh. The blandest AAA game I've played in some time.

The only other caveat is that I played the campaign only, I didn't touch anything else in the game, however I can't imagine doing multiple missions of the same type could be anymore exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[Xbox]

GTA V

First time playing on Xbox well apart from originally playing it back on the Xbox 360. It was on gamepass with xbox so I said I will replay it despite playing it numerous times on PC. PC version has way better graphics.

Advertisement