Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Yeah, hard to know after that. I'd like us to make offers for Billy Corrigan and Sean Edogbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Munster would be mad to let Sean Edogbo go anywhere else.

Pace and acceleration in a man that size is a rare commodity and can't be coached! Looks to have decent skills too and a great work ethic around the park. Would take him in Connacht in a heart beat!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Surely we have to sign Scott Penny in order to create a Penny-Farthing axis?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Eh why?

• Advertisement

Welcome, of course, but that's a very strange addition to our squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I was excited it might be some under the radar super 15 Australian outhalf until I saw the ear-taping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭testtech05

Thats a strange one or maybe I am missing something but thought we would be pretty set in 2nd/backrow even if Thornbury & Butler are not staying as has been mentioned we have Murphy due to come back aswell I think from his year out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I just don't get it. Murphy covers back row/lock Dowling covers backrow/lock and we have the Murray brothers and Joyce at lock. OK Thornbury is probably gone and Butler. Jansen could be off too I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Honestly the recruitment policy at Connacht is baffling at the moment. We'll see the full list of ins and outs over the coming weeks and its probably only fair to judge then but for a team with a tight budget and glaring inadequacies these last two signings look needless. They look like the type of signings I'd have said 12-15 years ago was decent business for a team down the bottom of the league.

Maybe the two lads signed might be better than what we have but its doubtful. Neither are proven at a high level. Even if they work out it still asks questions of management as to how we have over resourced ourselves in certain areas when we are so obviously short in others.

Wilkins can't dodge the blame for that because he should have been fundamental to these conversations for at least the last two seasons if not more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭kita99

To dear RonnieL

I to went to Derry on next morning of the v Zebre match for another my duty, and after several days later I went back to Tokyo. So regrettably I cannnot watch v Munster match at Thomond park. I'll watch it through URC tv. And I hope that the ref of that game is not Frank Murphy from the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I think O’Connor will come in as 5th choice lock, with one of Dowling or Murphy being a blindside exclusively. I’d nearly prefer Dowling to get that role, a back row of Dowling, SHL, Prendergast would be pretty abrasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

O'Connor is just depth. He's never been a mainstay wherever he's been.

Not really a position that’s needed strengthing

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Signing players for squad depth is a luxury we can't afford IMO. It would be better to use the money for a medical joker when you need it, or offer a development/full contract to turn the head of a prospect at Academy age as was done with Sam Illo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

That Sharks result from earlier today doesn't do us any favours. I'm sure they'll be confident in the final. 8th looked unlikely but 7th even more so

Pity for Ireland in the sevens but chay Mullins is surely someone we need to be getting a tune out of. Has the size to play 15s and good pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭kita99

I agree. Chay Mullins is superb. Absolutely his break down play was not penalty but legitimate jackal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭theVersatile

He was miles past the ball, elbows on the ground. Penalty all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭testtech05

JJ confirmed to have done his ACL in the Dragons game unfortunately…. Cian and Bucks also out this week.

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/news/squad-update/bp3026/

Terrible news for Jj :(

Deegan staying on with Leinster is great news for them, but for him you'd have to wonder what his motivation is; in the prime of his career, a player of his quality shouldn't be holding bags for big games and only getting runs against Zebre or babysitting on tours to South Africa. At this point you'd have to think more international honours won't coming his way and 2 caps is a paltry return.

Just goes to show how well run leinster is when they are an attractive enough place for him to stay there and not make the bench for the big occasions rather than start at any of the other provinces.

If a ten wasn’t an absolute must before JJ’s injured, then one surely is now.

Deegan despite his excellent youth profile isn't in the picture for international squads and it doesn't matter where he moves he's not got the physical game for it. Decent player but I think the game moved past his akillset to something more physical, he's not better than Coombes or Prendergast who can't get in.

Long past time to go shopping for a 10

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Harry Byrne would seem to make a lot of sense, whether he'd go for it or not though…

Makes the pathway for Sam Prendergast more linear at Leinster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Can't see Harry Byrne moving. He's getting plenty of game time (when fit) at Leinster and is in Irish teams. I just can't see what Connacht can offer him.

The promise of lots of first team rugby, and the chance to really nail down a 10 shirt, might appeal more to Sam Prendergast or Frawley, though the fact that both of them were in Irish teams/squads this year dilutes that appeal too a bit.

I would absolutely love if Frawley or Harry Byrne moved west but as said they both are getting good minutes at the moment. Would they get more in Connacht? Yes. I'd say Tector is realistic or maybe some southern hemisphere guy we have never heard of.

JUst read the squad update and Wilkins mentioned Tom Daly and Sean Naughton as possibilities to cover. Daly never really let the team down covering 10. He rates Naughton but is very inexperienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

• Advertisement

Aging terribly ;)

Advertisement