Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

I don't have any inside source in the Connacht camp but another bit of info I have leads me to believe that it is 99% certain that he won't be in Connacht next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Great servant. Had a lot of good times and his partnership in the back 3 with Niyi and Matt Healy during 2016 was a pleasure to see. Has taken a bit of flak the last few years but to me he's rarely let us down and any criticism of him being selected should be levelled at management for not sourcing suitable alternatives.

Wish him well in retirement. Down to just 3 of the 23 used in the final remaining now. Where do the years go. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

He is a 13… Can play other positions but his is a 13…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Thats the Dillane playing Kearney conkers one I think. Tiernan burned heaslip and r Kearney if memory serves.

Good an excuse as any to go watch those highlights again!

Post edited by freyners on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Just watched the highlights again! Goosebumps!

TOH got some bang in the head in the lead up to Cronin's try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

What a player TOH has been. He has had his own ups and downs like any normal person which can be seen on the field. You can clearly see he is in a good place at the moment with how has played in the last couple of years with the birth of a baby boy. I know he would be thrilled to get Connacht to top 8 this year and how pleasing would it be if it were points against Leinster in the last game that qualified Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Purist98

Any idea/inkling as to what the academy intake will look like?

Walsh and Flynn likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Who's Connacht's primary fullback next season?

If they need someone they could do a lot worse than signing Jack Kelly or Billy Dardis from the 7s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Cordero. Jennings as an understudy and McNulty if he is retained

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

This year we've also seen Mack there on three occasions, JJ, Smith, and Jennings.

We need to pray that Cordero stays fit and can manage it - he does not have many starts at 15, he's really a winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Wouldn’t mind if they took a chance on someone like Chris Cosgrave at Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Tiernan is a true Connacht great, and will rightfully be long remembered for his role in the 15/16 season. Probably could have had more caps as he was the form 15 in the country for a couple of years, and was very unlucky that he got injured in that game in South Africa. His performances dropped off a bit earlier than you'd typically expect, which is maybe a consequence of being exposed to senior rugby from 18 years old.

Heard very good things about him as a coach, from his time with Wegians.

Can Chay Mullins play fullback? Certainly has the right athletic profile and probably a higher ceiling in 15s than the two mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Don't have any inside information but I'd imagine so, probably Tomas Farthing also. Maybe we'd look at bringing Diarmuid O'Connell or Rory Gavin in, not unheard of for u19s to join but not sure if either of those will still be in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭testtech05

Taking McIlroys place I assume? I thought he had looked OK bar some questionable throwing which all our hookers seem capable of this year…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

That is a weird one. I thought McElroy, despite some bad days, was a significantly better performer this year than Dave Heffernan anyways and would've been kept on.

Almost certainly, 5 hookers would definitely be too many. Bit of an odd one, McElroy was given lots of minutes in the early to mid season, before being jettisoned after the Lions game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I thought he was a decent addition but who knows. Is de butilear contracted for next season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Hooker is a problem for us really. Heffernan seems first choice and he's great when on form like the last 3 games but when he's off he's pretty sub par. A little like Jack, kinda like Connacht as a whole really.

De Butler looks too small, DTM also struggling size wise but a very good player. I thought McElroy did a good job this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Came on here to ask about Farrell as I haven't seen as much of Connacht this season than in the past. Will he suit Munster's current attacking game plan do you think?

TOH has been a great servant, should have gotten a lot more international caps ahead of Kearney who seemed to get lauded for doing the bare basics while his tackling/attacking skills went seriously on the wane. If you're wearing the green of Connacht you seem to have to be absolutely exceptional to get the call-up

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kita99

I'm sorry for the matter of my small private thing, I came back to Galway (Dexcom) at the first time since beginning of CORONA from the far distance. I found the pint changing Murphy's from former Guinness. I like both. And before the K.O supportes sung Field of Athenry, so I sung it too. I watched Matthew Devine at v Zebre match.Although I knew the opponent was poor, but he looked very natural rugby player who could do all factors for rugby commonly including running, passing,kicking, tackling, kicked ball catching and back-up returning etc…Especially he was a player who can take the excellent defending positioning.He don't need any experisnce. So now I can predict that Connacht will win over Munster if they won't do wrong selection. 1.The pack weight should be above 900kg because heavy FWs and Devine will be the strongest combination. 2.In the back line, Connacht should use Hansen at 11 who put on the plaster cast covered his shoulder to arm. And Aki at 12 who is the treasure of Ireland, and Farrell at 13 who will go to Munster (if it's true). About Hansen, Munster may fear the retaliation, about Aki , if he get injury, IRFU will not be pleased before the summer tour. And Munster won't hope Farrell get injury who is a valuable new power. So these three will run freely in the field. The result will be apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbyf565

interesting listening to Molecast podcast, they were strongly of the opinion that Connacht should keep Hawkshaw at flyhalf and not have him moving around other positions. They argued he has good competitive qualities to him. I’d tend to agree, he’s not tall enough or big enough to be a centre but he has the talent to develop into a solid flyhalf; creative and ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭testtech05

I think the few times he has played outhalf haven't been too successful so far but maybe it is worth another look, his kicking from hand was poor too from what I recall a bit like JJ he struggled to get much distance on them.

Someone needs to step up there anyway as I dont expect we will be signing anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

In a word; yes, I think he can play munsters game as he has decent hands and some play making ability. But what I'd also say is that's not his best game; what you want is Farrell hitting gaps/soft shoulders and offloading as he's the best center in ireland at that. He runs really great lines and is deceptively fast, good defender too, main problem for us in the last number of years is he's had a good few injuries that have kept him out, particularly this year. I saw someone on a munster forum saying they needed someone "bigger" than Tom....that person wants their eyes checked as Farrell is a big, big man and will not be found wanting in the physical stakes. Know someone who knows him too and all reports are that he's a super nice guy too so will be good in the change room.

So if you're looking for a direct replacement for Frisch he's not that, but he's a significant step up from SOB, who I also rate but think Farrell is a level above.

IIn closing: quality signing for you, at one point he was the second best 13 in Ireland and how he's never got a cap is a point of much confusion for all connacht fans.

Max Flynn announced for the academy, seems to be an energetic all-action 7 from the bits I've seen of him. Was in and around the u20s this year but think he missed out through injury. Has another year of eligibility.

Corinthians have been uploading player highlights to their YouTube channel, if anyone is curious to see some of our academy players in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I'm delighted you got back over for a game. Did you travel from Japan especially to come and see Connacht? If so, you may be the most dedicated fan among us! Will you be going to Thomand for the Munster game next weekend or have you returned home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Bryan Walsh and Tom Farthing will surely join him.

Advertisement