Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why didn't the sister let him in the house and tell him drop the knife, did the family change their story after the event for investigation and to sue potentially?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,639 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ah. Speculating that she lied to GSOC in order to gain financially or otherwise? You are on your own there buddy, I won't be getting involved in that.

The extremely brief interaction is detailed in the post you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Augme

Yes, imagine using facts in a discussion. How outrageous.

Well the statistics confirm that the majority of people who carry knives don't actually use them. So I'll let you figure out why that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,238 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Maybe time for the cheerleaders to get an Nkencho profile pic? Or a knife?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Cordell

You're moving the goalposts, your initial claim was that carrying a knife doesn't imply intention to use it, I guess you realised how absurd that claim was. Yes, they don't use it until they do, that's why weapons are either illegal or heavily regulated.

I'm not moving any goalposts. The simple fact is that the vast majority of people who carry knives don't use them and the vast majority of situations where a person carries a knife doesn't led to then using it. Claiming that isn't the case is simply wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CarProblem

A bizarre thread in some respects but interestingly no surprises in who some of the deflectors posting utter rubbish are. One post only from me as no way am I getting ragged into a merry go round with people obviously trying to use this episode to push an agenda

Exhibit A. What's your point? Are you advocating for more lenient laws on carrying of weapons or merely deflecting and trying to sow seeds of "he was shot because he was black"? No doubt your response will be along the lines of "I'm just stating facts"

Well here's more facts

• It is also the case that the vast majority of interactions with guards do not end up with a dead suspect.
    • Stats appear to indicate ARU is incredibly disciplined and not trigger happy when deployed
    • This interaction only escalated to a shooting after a large knife was swung at a guards head.
    • They had already tried non lethal means to de-escalate and it didn't work
    • There was in no way the same level of examination by people after Mark Hennessy was shot. Strange that……

Interestingly statistics show a lot of things lefties ignore when trying to push an agenda (e.g. no evidence of a racial disparity when examining rates of killings by police but, hey, lets loot and riot, sorry protest, and support BLM)

Must be a very bittersweet week for some. On one hand wanting to vilify guards for shooting someone not because he posed an active threat to the lives of guards trying to subdue him, no, it was <Ali G voice> "cos he is black". <Mod snip - Off topic>

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I wouldn’t normally wouldn’t engage with you, but on this one Why do people carry knives in your head, I have a pen knife in my farm work coat and that’s the only for work use, when I go outside the farm gate I carry no knife and friends and family members carry no knife daily or on the weekends socially. So Why are people carrying knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry just me speculating, as I thought all in the house were afraid of him, wouldn't let him in, had order against him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Start waving a knife around at armed gardai and see how far you get with your bizarre line of logic. Oh I'm just showing you my new knife officer, not gonna use it though.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Your logic is outrageous.

I'm assuming you feel carrying a knife is a positive thing, which is a frankly insane stance.

The majority of people who carry knives aren't law abiding citizens. You'd do well to find a average person walking around with a machete "just in case" with no intention of using it.

The real issue here is that you're put out by the fact that a person of a certain ethnicity ended up being shot in this situation and you're contorting in any way possible to make your argument fit your narrative.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Honestly, what’s your point?

George Nkencho did use the knife he was carrying - that’s the only reason he ended up getting shot.
    If he’d been like all the other people who, you maintain, carry knives for no malevolent reason, and kept it in his pocket, he would still be alive today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'll caveat this with the fact that a lot of posters on this thread would, and probably have, dismiss much of what I say because of my "leftist" leanings, but seriously - the Gardai do not kill people on whim, we are not America, and secondly people who carry knives around as part of their normal day are generally not nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Back to the extreme left nonsense of 'carrying a knife but unarmed' and 'carrying a knife in public is normal behaviour'.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

He wasn't "carrying" a knife. He was wielding a knife. After attempting a robbery. After punching someone in the face. Attempting to gain entry into a house (whilst wielding a knife) that had a barring order on him.

Some (presumably child) on here even wondering why they didn't use tranq guns!?

Have people lost their marbles or is it all a laugh?

#shoottheknife.

Post edited by humberklog on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What a stupid post by her.

If he had a gun, would she say "brandishing a gun, but not armed otherwise?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think Ruth woke up and had a brain fart. Obviously she's pro knife carrying and stabbing and murdering. No wonder people become polarised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

That sounds like it's coming straight from Martin Nolan - 'brandishing a knife but otherwise unarmed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭mikethecop

people like ruth brid paul murphy, mick barry and their ilk would be critical of the garda if George had been carrying a AK and arrested using a baton, its just their nature to appeal to the childlike nature of some people to hate authority figures

• Advertisement

Despite only one post, I see you're aren't wasting anytime before you make it race issue.

Then don't engage with me. No one is forcing you too.

I never said it was a positve thing. Despite the fact that people keep claiming that people only carry knives because they intend to use them, not one person has been able to explain why the vast majority of people who do carry knives don't in fact use them. But feel free to jump in and answer that one yourself.

If you can find where I said the gardai do kill people.on whim or made on comment on the pleasantness or otherwise of people who carry knives I'd love to see it.

He was trying to enter the house he lived in. The house he went to sleep in the night before, the house in woke up in that morning and house he left hours before he was killed by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭MFPM

But there are also people perhaps including you who implacably defend AGS irrespective of what they do.

It's not about hate of 'authority' figures - guards are public servants, they have incredible power and have been known to abuse it, they need to be held to account but it's very difficult for people to get justice against cops - GSOC is toothless, the cops right up to senior management play them and laugh at them. Look at what happened to McCabe and he was one of their own - his colleagues nailed a rat to his door, charming or what? His representative organisation never opened their mouth on his behalf.

Ask Terrnce Wheelock's family how they go on with the cops or Brian Rossiter's father.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And then there's those that try to blame everything on gardai.

No dead rat was ever nailed to Maurice McCabe door.

Terence Wheelock died from suicide. Brian rossitier died from injuries sustained in an assault before he was arrested.

This particular shooting was investigated and found to be lawful. those are the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ah good old Coppinger, tying herself up in knots trying to justify his actions.

Now if it was a white Irishman the narrative would be a bit different I'd suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,238 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

While currently being a corpse otherwise Nkencho isn't dead. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ruth just looks at the Shop worker with the broken nose, the others threatened at knife pointz the Guard that was nearly stabbed, they are all just low level people to Ruth and secondary to her needs and agenda.

Same as the Nkencho family are useful to her, nothing more than that. They are looking for a monetary payday. Ruth has her own selfish requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭MFPM

Who blaming 'everything' on the cops - that's a trite response.

McCabe was lying? Maybe he made the whole saga up!

Terence Wheelock may have died from died from attempted suicide but there were shortcomings in the behaviour and approach of AGS.

There are many questions around what happened to Brian Rossiter and the AGS played an appalling role against his family. One wonders why the Commissioner and Justice minister agreed to a settlement in a case that had nothing to do with the cops!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hungry Burger

Seems common sense won out in this case. I don’t know the ins and outs of what happened after but I really hope the Garda wasn’t suspended all this time, regardless, the whole affair couldn’t have been good for his mental health.

What’s the point in even having an ARU if they can’t use lethal force without being dragged through the ringer. The lunatic was brandishing a knife and was given ample opportunity to desist in his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Never said McCabe was lying, there was never a dead rat nailed to his door.

Terrence Wheelock did commit suicide.

BrIan Rossiters family want to blame Gardai because they wouldn't pick him up from the garda station and they need someone to blame, to alleviate their guilt. That's understandable, but it doesn't mean gardai have anything to do with the death.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Back on topic which is not Maurice McCabe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement