Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The best pudding thread

Options
  • 28-12-2020 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭

If we’re talking about white pudding, the nicest ever is from the butcher in Rathfarnham, feckin unreal stuff - Wilson Brothers in Rathfarnham Shopping Centre.

Mod note: Discussion split from Superquinn Sausages thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Water John wrote: »
    Want some real black pudding, get someone to send you Sneem Black Pudding (PGI status). It's in the form of a cake slice.

Would love to know where to get this.

Clon black pudding is nonsense, all marketing hype.
    Isn't even made in Clon from what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The best type of black pudding, are the ones that taste just as good raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Clon production has moved back there from Little Island.
    Must get an in law to bring up some to me from Kerry, he can travel.
    I'd say Burns would send some to you if you ring them;
    http://www.sneemblackpudding.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Like the marketing of Donnellys sausages long ago. They were great because 'they sizzled in the pan'. The only reason they sizzled was because of the water in them.
    Grill a Clon sausage and it shrinks to half and a drip pan of fat.
    Want some real black pudding, get someone to send you Sneem Black Pudding (PGI status). It's in the form of a cake slice.

Never knew of sneem black pudding. Must have a look in some of the castleisland shops next time I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Just two families make Sneem Black Pudding, O'Sullivans and Burns. They make it similar to my mother, as a cake rather than in pudding casing and boiled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Annascaul are really good too, as is the black pudding.

Annascaul black pudding is the business. Never had the sausages, must look out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There's so many great black puddings out there, it's crazy to claim any one as "the best".

Despite the hate and overhyped, I think Clonakilty is good, tasty pudding.
    I like Sneem pudding, very soft, though.
    McCarthy's from kanturk is the business, very meaty, borderline too salty.
    Annascaul is good as I remember.
    Hanley's from Mitchelstown is a current favourite - firm and meaty.
    I remember Kelly's of Newport being good.
    I liked Inch House, soft and very expensive, iirc.
    I don't know if they still make it but I remember Lordan's butchers in Ballinspittle being one of the best I've had.
    Rosscarbery is very good - their white pudding is great - I'm not usually a fan, really.

I'm a bit of a black pudding tourist.!

Am I missing any good ones?
    My list is very Co. Cork centric.

I know this is a sausage thread, but....

While I'm here: overheard in The English Market :

Couple walking along and she points out some black puddings on a stall (it was McCarthy's award winning-the one chosen for QE2's banquet). Yer man makes a face of mild disgust and says, 'Clonakilty is the best.............. by far'.
    Now I like Clonakilty but what a tosser of the highest order who hadn't a notion what he was confidently talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

There's so many great black puddings out there, it's crazy to claim any one as "the best".

I don't know if they still make it but I remember Lordan's butchers in Ballinspittle being one of the best I've had.
    Rosscarbery is very good - their white pudding is great - I'm not usually a fan, really.

Couple walking along and she points out some black puddings on a stall (it was McCarthy's award winning-the one chosen for QE2's banquet). Yer man makes a face of mild disgust and says, 'Clonakilty is the best.............. by far'.
    Now I like Clonakilty but what a tosser of the highest order who hadn't a notion what he was confidently talking about!

Hicks of Dun Laoghaire make great pudding and sausages

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Sneem black pudding is amazing — if anybody knows how to get it in Dublin, let me know!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

When I was a kid we used to make a pilgrimage out to Clonakilty every summer for brown pudding from a specific butcher in Clon. It was unbelievable stuff. I grew up in Dublin but spent 2-3 weeks each summer in Cork.

When Clonakilty pudding became a brand, that was what I was expecting to get. I was sorely disappointed. Anyone else remember that brown pudding? Can it still be bought?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    When I was a kid we used to make a pilgrimage out to Clonakilty every summer for brown pudding from a specific butcher in Clon. It was unbelievable stuff. I grew up in Dublin but spent 2-3 weeks each summer in Cork.

When Clonakilty pudding became a brand, that was what I was expecting to get. I was sorely disappointed. Anyone else remember that brown pudding? Can it still be bought?

As I remember it, there were three different butchers doing pudding in Clonakilty - all claiming to be "Clonakilty pudding".
    I remember Staunton's, Twomey's and O'Sullivan's. Edit, Harrington's too. They were all quite different and I could never remember which one I liked.
    At one point Clonakilty pudding brand had a trio pack of black, brown and white pudding - the brown was identical to the black - same ingredients and all!

I don't think any of the pre branding exercise puddings exist anymore but you'd need some local knowledge to verify this - maybe one of the old butchers still exists and makes pudding but no longer markets it a "Clonakilty" due to whatever agreement was made. Anyone know more about this?

Twomeys is the one the current brand came from isn’t it?

Twomeys is the one the current brand came from isn’t it?

Twomey and Harrington appear to be names associated with it.
    They have, of course, written all the other producers out of the history.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

For a supermarket bought pudding - the Truly Irish brand is really nice!

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The best type of black pudding, are the ones that taste just as good raw.

All black pudding is cooked before purchase.
    You are only crisping and heating it up in the pan /grill.

If you were going to have black pudding raw then you’d need to drink it more than eat it, and I’d doubt the safety of consuming it.

I think Clon production has moved back there from Little Island.
    Must get an in law to bring up some to me from Kerry, he can travel.
    I'd say Burns would send some to you if you ring them;
    http://www.sneemblackpudding.com/

They’re back a couple of years now, brand new factory for the pudding across the road from Dunnes Stores.

Interestingly, Clonakilty has no pork products in it. It's made with dried beef blood.
    Some years ago when all Irish pork products were pulled from the shelf, that was able to remain!

Most puddings in Ireland are made from dried blood. Does anyone, reliably, know of any made with fresh blood?

I notice a lot of pudding has bacon as an ingredient, these days. I'm not too sure how I feel about that - seems a bit like cheating.
    I think the modern taste is far pudding with less blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Kelly’s in Newport, Co. Mayo, make lovely black & white pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Mammy loves Joes Pudding"

D'Telly

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't eat black pudding, but my all time favourite white pudding is Kelly's.

Doesn't count.
    Please ban yourself from this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

im a huge fan of the clonakilty white because of the coarse grain texture and flavour, not a fan of the few 'smooth' white puddings I've tried, but never ventured farther once I tried the clonakilty,

is there any other recommendations for a 'coarse' white pudding I can get handy enough in dub/kildare ?

Doesn't count.
    Please ban yourself from this thread!

im a huge fan of the clonakilty white because of the coarse grain texture and flavour, not a fan of the few 'smooth' white puddings I've tried, but never ventured farther once I tried the clonakilty,

is there any other recommendations for a 'coarse' white pudding I can get handy enough in dub/kildare ?

See above, you have no business in this thread!

However, Roscarberry white pudding is the best I've tried. Not mushy like most.

As I remember it, there were three different butchers doing pudding in Clonakilty - all claiming to be "Clonakilty pudding".
    I remember Staunton's, Twomey's and O'Sullivan's. Edit, Harrington's too. They were all quite different and I could never remember which one I liked.
    At one point Clonakilty pudding brand had a trio pack of black, brown and white pudding - the brown was identical to the black - same ingredients and all!

I don't think any of the pre branding exercise puddings exist anymore but you'd need some local knowledge to verify this - maybe one of the old butchers still exists and makes pudding but no longer markets it a "Clonakilty" due to whatever agreement was made. Anyone know more about this?

It's an awful shame if the commercial pudding has wiped out the best pudding in the country. That brown pudding was unreal.

I seem to recall getting a lot of brown pudding around West cork at the time.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

De Róiste pudding is unreal, both black and white.

Have had Kelly's usually as part of a starter in restaurants and never paid too much heed but had it with a fry up recently and I didn't like the black pudding at all. The white is lovely though.

De Róiste for me though. I'm not sure you'd get it everywhere but it was originally a Super Valu food academy product so it's a good bet to get it there. I've seen it in Dunnes as well. Apparently it's made using Elsie De Róiste's recipe from 1914. I don't care either way, it's just really class pudding.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kellys of Newport is my go-to for normal frys.

However, I also see a need for a looser texture one for heating up and mushing on heavily buttered toast from time to time - the Kellys stuff is too dense for that to work well. Weirdly the vegetarian/vegan ones are often much better at this than the blood based ones!

L1011 wrote: »
    Kellys of Newport is my go-to for normal frys.

However, I also see a need for a looser texture one for heating up and mushing on heavily buttered toast from time to time - the Kellys stuff is too dense for that to work well. Weirdly the vegetarian/vegan ones are often much better at this than the blood based ones!

Reported!!

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    De Róiste pudding is unreal, both black and white.

De Róiste for me though. I'm not sure you'd get it everywhere but it was originally a Super Valu food academy product so it's a good bet to get it there. I've seen it in Dunnes as well. Apparently it's made using Elsie De Róiste's recipe from 1914. I don't care either way, it's just really class pudding.

Picked up some of this today on your recommendation. Will report back tomorrow.

Advertisement