Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The best pudding thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Most puddings in Ireland are made from dried blood. Does anyone, reliably, know of any made with fresh blood?

Im surprised this distinction hasnt yet been talked about, fresh blood pudding is in a different league altogether and once you've had it any of the main brands like Clonakility that are dried blood pale into comparison.

For fresh blood pudding Id recommend Hugh Maguires black pudding. I first had it a couple of years ago as a starter in a fine dining restaurant and couldnt believe how superior it is to anything you can get in a supermarket so I've been buying it ever since. His main shop is in Ashbourne, Co.Meath but they do online sales. Its also stocked in Fallon & Byrne in Dublin and Selfridges in London.

https://hughmaguirebutchers.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtpVCYS1vws

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Faith wrote: »
    Picked up some of this today on your recommendation. Will report back tomorrow.

I liked it, but I found it a little lacking in flavour, personally. Would eat again but wouldn’t buy as a first preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I liked it, but I found it a little lacking in flavour, personally. Would eat again but wouldn’t buy as a first preference.

De Roiste has an unusual sort of musty flavour. It's fairly good and uses pigs blood. A lot use beef blood or beef suet. Black pudding should only be pig products.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Water John wrote: »
    Black pudding should only be pig products.

Why?

TMK historically all farm produced black pudding was from the pig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I'll have to try get my hands on the Annascaul one you've mentioned, is that your first choice?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I'll have to try get my hands on the Annascaul one you've mentioned, is that your first choice?

I haven’t had it in a few years (I’ve been living in a black pudding black hole for the last 6 years until recently!) but it was savage when I did have it. It’s got a very smooth texture, it’s a bit drier maybe. I had it first in a restaurant served with scallops and it was gorgeous. I’d be hesitant to commit to it being #1 because of lack of comparison options, but I’d definitely recommend giving it a whirl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have never had this or fancied it.

However I now have in the freezer a packet of sausages, rashers, and assorted slices of this.

PS I have six helpers f I don't eat it.. ;) Need to know more about it..

NB I opened the thread thinking PUDDING.. as in trifle etc

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have never had this or fancied it.

However I now have in the freezer a packet of sausages, rashers, and assorted slices of this.

PS I have six helpers f I don't eat it.. ;) Need to know more about it..

NB I opened the thread thinking PUDDING.. as in trifle etc

I wouldn't give any of the above to my cats.
    Too salty.

Black pudding is, essentially, a blood sausage but the Irish variants usually have quite a lot of grain and other fillers and often pork and bacon in them for a meatier texture.
    It is usually has some spices in but isn't hot spicy at all. If you like haggis, then you will probably like black pudding.
    However, black pudding is less challenging than haggis for the squeamish.

It is already cooked when you buy. Usual method is to slice it and crisp and warm in in the pan.

TMK historically all farm produced black pudding was from the pig.

Sneem pudding has Protected Geographical Indication. The current recipe dates from the 1950s and includes blood from pigs, cattle and lambs of South Kerry.

I get the impression that it is a fresh blood pudding.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't give any of the above to my cats.
    Too salty.

Black pudding is, essentially, a blood sausage but the Irish variants usually have quite a lot of grain and other fillers and often pork and bacon in them for a meatier texture.
    It is usually has some spices in but isn't hot spicy at all. If you like haggis, then you will probably like black pudding.
    However, black pudding is less challenging than haggis for the squeamish.

It is already cooked when you buy. Usual method is to slice it and crisp and warm in in the pan.

Meant the pudding not the bacon etc! I need those too much ...

I hated the mere thought of haggis ( lived in the land of " clapshot and haggis" for years, so reading the thread will donate that to my "obligate carnivore " cats. I never touch beef or lamb any more and rarely bacon. Never pork..

Thank you for the info! Fascinating. Up in rural Orkney . much like here, they raised a pig each year thus no leftover food wasted, then used every morsel " excpet the tail and the squeak.. One of the lads even made a whistle out of one small bone.

Meant the pudding not the bacon etc! I need those too much ...

I hated the mere thought of haggis ( lived in the land of " clapshot and haggis" for years, so reading the thread will donate that to my "obligate carnivore " cats. I never touch beef or lamb any more and rarely bacon. Never pork..

Thank you for the info! Fascinating. Up in rural Orkney . much like here, they raised a pig each year thus no leftover food wasted, then used every morsel " excpet the tail and the squeak.. One of the lads even made a whistle out of one small bone.

Black pudding isn't suitable for cats. It's too salty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Kellys back home

Fruit pig using fresh blood is nice over here.

Then the Spanish stuff is the king

RasTa wrote: »

Then the Spanish stuff is the king

+1 on this, the Spanish or Argentinian blood sausage called morcilla is delicious and on a par with the puddings we have here. I travelled around Argentina years ago and all the BBQ restaurants there would have it on the menu. The typical asado (mixed grill) served there comes with different cuts of steak, chicken, morcilla and chorizo. Have tried getting it in Fallon & Byrne and Dollard & Co here in the past but neither of them stock it or source it. Last time I had it was in an Argentinain restaurant in Camden Town, I would imagine there are speciality shops in the UK that sell it but Im not aware of anywhere here that does. Its popular in Basque country too where they stuff squid with it.

I've had some cracking blood sausage in Austria.
    For anyone who knows Tyroller Gröstl, it was a version of that served with house made sauerkraut. Truly fantastic meal!

https://i.imgur.com/bTG8NDD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah Kelly's is really nice. Our local butcher makes his own and also stocks Kelly's. He always assumes people want Kelly's when your so for "pudding" but I actually prefer his own stuff.
    I agree about it being a bit coarse though - very difficult to use as a spread on bread or toast.

I haven't had De Róiste in years. I remember it being promoted in Super Valu a few years ago and got some of it but I rarely see it in our local SV, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Picked up some of this today on your recommendation. Will report back tomorrow.

Go to Aldi for Ballyvourney pudding...it’s the same stuff at a lower price.

Go to Aldi for Ballyvourney pudding...it’s the same stuff at a lower price.

Thanks, didn't know that.

Black pudding isn't suitable for cats. It's too salty.

:rolleyes: depends on amount as with everything else..and common sense with amounts. Like us with sugar. balance....have a look at eg dreamies ingredients.. Not meant as a meal.. after over 40 years of cats... tiny amounts . :rolleyes:

The whole vacuum breakfast packet of four sausages. three rashers and three slices of this stuff is at the very back of the freezer as " emergency" food... six cats will get a small treat at some stage.

Very grateful to all in this thread as it has answered all my lurking ????? about this! … I am happier!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

:rolleyes: depends on amount as with everything else..and common sense with amounts. Like us with sugar. balance....have a look at eg dreamies ingredients.. Not meant as a meal.. after over 40 years of cats... tiny amounts . :rolleyes:

The whole vacuum breakfast packet of four sausages. three rashers and three slices of this stuff is at the very back of the freezer as " emergency" food... six cats will get a small treat at some stage.

Very grateful to all in this thread as it has answered all my lurking ????? about this! … I am happier!

Do at least try the pudding. You'll be pleasantly surprised if its decent make.

Fairly gobsmacked you've been here so long and not been introdced to one of our national dishes.

Its fantastic baked in a casserole dish with chopped apple for a supper or dinner as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Thanks, didn't know that.

I also did not know this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    De Róiste pudding is unreal, both black and white.

Have had Kelly's usually as part of a starter in restaurants and never paid too much heed but had it with a fry up recently and I didn't like the black pudding at all. The white is lovely though.

De Róiste for me though. I'm not sure you'd get it everywhere but it was originally a Super Valu food academy product so it's a good bet to get it there. I've seen it in Dunnes as well. Apparently it's made using Elsie De Róiste's recipe from 1914. I don't care either way, it's just really class pudding.

That De Róiste pudding is gorgeous, can't get it in my local Super Valu anymore which is very disappointing as I don't like Clonakilty black anymore. Every other time I get it I get a horrible lump of gristle in it and it's really put me off it now. Would love if they brought back the De Róiste stuff.

jiltloop wrote: »
    That De Róiste pudding is gorgeous, can't get it in my local Super Valu anymore which is very disappointing as I don't like Clonakilty black anymore. Every other time I get it I get a horrible lump of gristle in it and it's really put me off it now. Would love if they brought back the De Róiste stuff.

Think someone back up the thread said the Ballyvorney pudding that Aldi sell is the same as de Roiste

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bonina black pudding is epic. It’s as close to home made as I’ve ever got in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Think someone back up the thread said the Ballyvorney pudding that Aldi sell is the same as de Roiste

Nice one 👍 will check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

No mention of Granby white pudding?

Was rared on it by both my mother and grandmother.

JC's Supermarket in Swords use to have a savage white pudding with a little bit of spice to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Clonakilty pudding is pure marketing, it tastes cheap in not a good way and is sold at a premium price.

Meeres pudding is excellent, mainly sold in clare but have seen it in SuperValu in Dublin occasionally, comes in a square block shape that's also handier to cook, there is another brand that have had in a square that's also nice..

Fxb and some of the other Dublin butchers do very nice puddings , fxbs white is delicious spread across a toasted slice of bloomer but it's very soft so doesn't look neat.

The square ones are likely to be oven baked, whilst others are boiled.

Making black pudding, Sneem I think on Ear to the Ground RTE 1 19.00 Thursday next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

From the supermarket I like Kelly's for black and Rudds for white. Reading there about Hugh Maguires smoked black so will definitely try that out.

Advertisement