Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn sausages no longer taste as nice

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

killbillvol2 - uncivil, rude posts are not tolerated in this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

80% pork is far to high for a good sausage

A few years back a large deli provider was doing taste tests on new sausages for their standard breakfast roll sausage and I got to see the results (and taste some of the contenders) One of the big wigs wanted to advertise they had the highest pork content sausage so they started with really high pork content range and their original 50% pork product was in the tests as a control and the 50% was killing all those high pork content sausages.
    They then re did their spec and had a second session and settled on a 60% version , I was initially surprised but I agreed the 50-60% is the sweet spot and subsequently found most butcher shop sausages would be in this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

A few years back a large deli provider was doing taste tests on new sausages for their standard breakfast roll sausage and I got to see the results (and taste some of the contenders) One of the big wigs wanted to advertise they had the highest pork content sausage so they started with really high pork content range and their original 50% pork product was in the tests as a control and the 50% was killing all those high pork content sausages.
    They then re did their spec and had a second session and settled on a 60% version , I was initially surprised but I agreed the 50-60% is the sweet spot and subsequently found most butcher shop sausages would be in this category.

Im sure an unpopular opinion but absolutely agree, denny gold medal are 60% and the fats and other bits in there really make them a delicious all round sausage.

I find a lot of the ‘artisan’ or ‘luxury’ sausages are not as nice , theyre a comfort food , theyre supposed to be a bit trashy with a bit of fat

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's all about personal taste. I much prefer the sausages here in the Netherlands which have very little filler. But mates of mine go to an expat shop to buy Clonakilty sausages which are lower in pork content.

I have to admit for some reason they make a better sandwich.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

beachhead wrote: »
    What is all the fuss about these sausages.It is excellent hype going back to Fergal's days.A bit like Tayto and Cadbury's choclate(from Coolock not UK as now-choclate,that is).They did have a certain flavour but nothing to cross the planet for.Were crap b4 Musgrave's bought SQ

I've lived in 4 different countries now, in each one I've given the locals Tayto. They are universally preferred to the local crisps. Tayto are magnificent.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Also, the grind is important, some like Denny are made from pork gound to a paste whereas M&S sell basically UK sausages with a really tough skin and a very coarse grind.

Paste lacks good mouthfeel but gives the best flavour, is as if the sweetness is more available due to the pork been ground finer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The best saussies I ever had were Boswells Sausages. It was a long time ago, back in the 80's If I remember correctly and I think they were made in Blackrock, Co Dublin. They were gourmet class, before we know what that was, with weird and wonderful varieties like guinness and coarse mustard infused.

They were hard to get, not widely distributed, but I never tasted anything like them - they had an actual texture of eating real meat and not just pink sponge. I sometimes wonder if I dreamed them up, because no one else I know remembers them. I think I used to get them in a butcher shop on Moore Street.

An honourable mention to Cipriani butchers on the main street in Bray, now also lost in the mists of time, but they did a great banger in their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Acosta

O'Flynns sausages from Cork are my current favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Donnybrook Fair have the best sausages, they have the old O'Gormans recipe and they get Granby butchers to make them to that spec. You have to get them from behind the butcher counter, the prepacked ones are different.

The Granby shop in Parnell square will not sell them and their own sausages are just not as nice.

Sausages have to be eaten within 48 hours of being ground or they will lose the natural sweetness of the pork IMO.

Absolutely true re the freshness. The superquinn sausages if bought with a best before date of 8 days plus taste grand, anything less are rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

Im sure an unpopular opinion but absolutely agree, denny gold medal are 60% and the fats and other bits in there really make them a delicious all round sausage.

I find a lot of the ‘artisan’ or ‘luxury’ sausages are not as nice , theyre a comfort food , theyre supposed to be a bit trashy with a bit of fat

Are Denny gold medal 60%? That's nuts, I thought they would be about 30% , I wouldn't give them to the dog tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Goose81 wrote: »
    Are Denny gold medal 60%? That's nuts, I thought they would be about 30% , I wouldn't give them to the dog tbh.

They are really awful sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Great thread, i love them all, and if that makes me wrong i dont want to be right

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I can't believe a thread about sausages got so fractious at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Ger Roe wrote: »
    The best saussies I ever had were Boswells Sausages. It was a long time ago, back in the 80's If I remember correctly and I think they were made in Blackrock, Co Dublin. They were gourmet class, before we know what that was, with weird and wonderful varieties like guinness and coarse mustard infused.

They were hard to get, not widely distributed, but I never tasted anything like them - they had an actual texture of eating real meat and not just pink sponge. I sometimes wonder if I dreamed them up, because no one else I know remembers them. I think I used to get them in a butcher shop on Moore Street.

An honourable mention to Cipriani butchers on the main street in Bray, now also lost in the mists of time, but they did a great banger in their day.

Caprani sausages were the business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I would have always gone for SV sausages until a couple of years ago. Now I quite like Kearns, but for some reason I prefer the smaller pack to the larger packs. The bigger sausages dont seem to have the same pepper content, which probably sounds ridiculously stupid given they have an identical recipe. Supervalu also sell some nice ones by Derry Clarke.

I wouldnt eat Denny or Galtee sausages if they were the last ones on earth. Utter shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Is it wrong that I still love Superquinn sausages???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Zoot1530

so a league table would look something like
    1. Kearns
    2. Clonakility
    3.Tesco
    4. Aldi
    5.Olhausen
    6.FX Buckleys
    7.O'Flynns
    8.Buckleys
    9.Dennys
    10.Galtee
    11.Superquinn
    12 M&S

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Zoot1530

Tried Kearns and Clonalility Since and agree, they are way nicer than Superquinn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Is it wrong that I still love Superquinn sausages???!!!

Banned! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think it's a really interesting theory that an increase in meat content led to a drop in popularity!
    Could well be the case.

• Advertisement

I have to confess that I've come to prefer Denny's or the Aldi ones recently. Unless I'm making a sausage casserole, then I use the Cumberland sausages from Supervalu because they have more substance.

I have to confess that I've come to prefer Denny's or the Aldi ones recently. Unless I'm making a sausage casserole, then I use the Cumberland sausages from Supervalu because they have more substance.

Those SuperValu fancy sausages are the business. The ones with mustard are great with mash and gravy.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Which sausages have the less gristle/bone bits, I like sausages but once I hit a bit of gristle I literally have to spit it out. I find most sausages taste grand with a bit of added brown sauce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've literally never had a gristly sausage in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've literally never had a gristly sausage in my life.

I find that hard to believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

FXB's breakfast sausages are as good as what you remember from SQ

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I think it's a really interesting theory that an increase in meat content led to a drop in popularity!
    Could well be the case.

I think we have all been brought up on sausages that had a lot of rusk and the like, with white pepper, nutmeg etc, which is quite different to the more meaty type of sausage that is valued more these days. It made for a softer texture and less meaty flavour. Which I quite like!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,139 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Like the marketing of Donnellys sausages long ago. They were great because 'they sizzled in the pan'. The only reason they sizzled was because of the water in them.
    Grill a Clon sausage and it shrinks to half and a drip pan of fat.
    Want some real black pudding, get someone to send you Sneem Black Pudding (PGI status). It's in the form of a cake slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

Zoot1530 wrote: »
    so a league table would look something like
    1. Kearns
    2. Clonakility
    3.Tesco
    4. Aldi
    5.Olhausen
    6.FX Buckleys
    7.O'Flynns
    8.Buckleys
    9.Dennys
    10.Galtee
    11.Superquinn
    12 M&S

Annascaul are really good too, as is the black pudding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Kearns all the way

We never bought superquinn sausages growing up probably be cause my ma was a dunnes head but when i did eventually try them all i could think was BLAND BLAND BLAND

Gimme my Kearns any day!

Advertisement