Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Tray

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Cadbury customers here now are similar, just used to eating the new style crap.

Cadbury choc still tastes amazing though, if it didnt shops would put some other treat at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭AllForIt

As I grow up my palate has become more sophisticated.

If I'm going to eat luxury food I'd rather buy some expensive smoked salmon that buy some stuff in a box that ever goes off. Even bacteria won't go for it. Have you ever seen mouldy chocolate? No. Bacteria has more sense to be eating nutritionally void foodstuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Lynn Door

Y'all need a bit of Lindor.

AllForIt wrote: »
    As I grow up my palate has become more sophisticated.

If I'm going to eat luxury food I'd rather buy some expensive smoked salmon that buy some stuff in a box that ever goes off. Even bacteria won't go for it. Have you ever seen mouldy chocolate? No. Bacteria has more sense to be eating nutritionally void foodstuff.

Salmon is great when you fancy something sweet alright. Very sophisticated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Salmon is great when you fancy something sweet alright. Very sophisticated.

Okay, I was being a bit faux pretentious with the sophisticated language. I'm actually as common as muck in real life.

But as I get older I have lost my sweet tooth. I don't recall the last time I drank a bottle of 'pop'. Would make me feel sick now with such high concertation of sugar. Uggh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

We still eat a good bit of dairy milk, mainly down to to the good offers. But have avoided milk tray for a few years as they taste terrible and cheap. The go to box of chocolates would be Lindor.

Frankie19 wrote: »
    The smaller Cadbury bars are still made in ireland and taste better as they use Irish milk. The larger bars/slabs you get in supermarkets e.t.c are made in the uk and use different milk source and don't taste as good.

I thought all dairy milk were made in the UK?
    You reckon all small bars made here..... AFAIK crumb from rathmore is exported to the United States, Canada and the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I prefer them to Roses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Roses have definitely gone downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Ah I remember when tins of sweets came in an actual tin, made from metal. A big tin which would last a week in an average household.

Nowadays, it's a little wee plastic tub, the wrappers weighing more than the actual chocolates.

You can get the big tin of Roses in Tesco and Dunnes, it's twice as big as the plastic tub I think. It was €8 but not sure if that was a special offer or rrp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

But as I get older I have lost my sweet tooth.

I wish I could lose mine, sugary treats are so addictive these days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Ah I remember when tins of sweets came in an actual tin, made from metal. A big tin which would last a week in an average household.

Nowadays, it's a little wee plastic tub, the wrappers weighing more than the actual chocolates.

As for milk tray "all because the lady loves" do ye remember that slogan? (with the black-clothed perv breaking into houses) after that ad ran it's course - the quality went down.

Green and Blacks is where it's at - good stuff!
    Kraft bought them out too. They didn't change the recipes as fortunately there was a public campaign for them to leave it alone not ruin it like Cadburys.
    But they have made the bars smaller and increased the price :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Okay, I was being a bit faux pretentious with the sophisticated language. I'm actually as common as muck in real life.

But as I get older I have lost my sweet tooth. I don't recall the last time I drank a bottle of 'pop'. Would make me feel sick now with such high concertation of sugar. Uggh.

Speaking of smoked salmon and food standards - after I watched the French documentary on it I haven't touched it since. Worth a watch. Bit of aul neurotoxin on your toast in the morning.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7jq61s

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Frankie19

Please explain the differences in the pasteurization process and these vague 'chemicals' the Americans are adding to their chocolate.[/QUOTE]

The process is called lypolysis. It breaks down the fat in milk and turns it into an acid giving it a longer shelf life. Hersheys renowned for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Strumms wrote: »
    Hundreds of millions is spent combatting drug addiction and it’s affects.

Outpatient treatment, inpatient, respite, recovery, , methadone, counseling...

100% of the population know drug use or abuse is wrong but.... hundreds of millions on treating addicts over a decade.

The government still allows the sale of cigarettes, WHY ? despite the fact that its known that smoking is shortening your life or compromising your wellbeing from the get go... despite the huge tax on cigarettes, this tax isn’t freeing up hospital beds...

What has this got to do with the topic exactly? We're discussing chocolate, not cigarettes or illegal drugs. And the reason the Government doesn't ban cigarettes is because there's a thing called free trade. And in case you haven't noticed, the Government has spent years addressing cigarette addiction via price hikes and restrictions like the ban on smoking in pubs etc. There's been a consistent reduction in the number of smokers in recent years. All of which means less beds taken up by lung cancer and COPD victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Does the non-binary individual prefer to stick to the more traditional base-10?

For shame. Base 8 or bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

McGaggs wrote: »
    And the plastic tubs have managed to shrink in the short time they've been used.
    This image is from 2018. The leftmost tub is from 1998, and they get newer left to right.
    7201786-0-image-a-1_1544370345738.jpg

I presume the issue is that the manufacturers have a price point in mind, probably back up with some grotty psychological experiments on sales vs price, and so the only way to stick to it (mechanisation aside) is to reduce the quantity and quality over and over.

I've eaten loads of Quality Street over the holiday period and thought they were delicious …. no complaints at all. Haven't had any Roses.

Advertisement