Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Tray

Options
  • 28-12-2020 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Haven't had these in years but got a box in my workplace secret santa. Jeeze what's happened to them? They're vile. No soft and hard centres. Just artificial tasting sludgy fudgy centres surrounded by cheap crappy chocolate. Is nothing sacred?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Haven't had these in years but got a box in my workplace secret santa. Jeeze what's happened to them? They're vile. No soft and hard centres. Just artificial tasting sludgy fudgy centres surrounded by cheap crappy chocolate. Is nothing sacred?

That's Cadbury's innit.

Gone to sh1te the last few years, blame the Yanks - Kraft foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kraft/Mondelez have ruined Cadburys.
    It is made from the cheapest ingredients they can get now. Less milk and cocoa, more palm oil and sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

That's Cadbury's innit.

Gone to sh1te the last few years, blame the Yanks - Kraft foods.

It's actually Mondelez International and the butch who's running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It is made from the cheapest ingredients they can get now. Less milk and cocoa, more palm oil and sugar.

But on the plus side, it has sent alot of consumers in the direction of better quality, sometimes locally produced chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Not even palm oil it's fcuking soya and other nonsense chocolate used to be fun not no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You'd think with how awful cadbury tastes these days that people wouldn't be eating as much of it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

PsychoPete wrote: »
    You'd think with how awful cadbury tastes these days that people wouldn't be eating as much of it

Touche

I have a large box of Milk Tray awaiting my undivided attention at some stage.(not yet)But I eat Dairy Milk with considerable enjoyment so am not anticipating reacting as the Op has done.

Each to their own. Maybe that I do not have much contact with other chocolate. I loved Butlers but cannot get it where I am.

Happy to act as disposal for entire bars and boxes of Cadburys.. ;)

PsychoPete wrote: »

That’s because it’s not awful, it’s just fashionable to say it is because someone else said it. In reality, nobody would know the difference.\

The same people probably think Butlers and Lily O’Briens are hand made with love and care by some aul one or like the fake ‘master chocolatier’ in the Lindt ads :D

_

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

a sexual awakening of sorts you could say

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

And all because the gender neutral person loves...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭appledrop

Its the same with all cadburys stuff. Have you tasted roses lately?

I got a tub last year + dumped them all in bin they were disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It started well before kraft took over.

Everyone wants "chocolate" for next to nothing (have a look at the Christmas chocolate thread) and then they complain when it tastes like sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

But on the plus side, it has sent alot of consumers in the direction of better quality, sometimes locally produced chocolate.

True, I have a donated box of Cadburys and a box of Butler's. The Cadburys will never be opened but the Butlers will be gone in a day or so.

And Mondelez didn't kill Cadbury. Cadburys was always fcuking sh!te - chocolate flavoured snot.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭the14thwarrior

gone be the days when no one in the house, and I mean no one, aka a mortal sin, choose the carmel one and the twirly ones with the hazel nut in the middle. They belonged to Mammy.

the rest were up for grabs, and had actual centres i.e. organge, strawberry, turkish delight, fudge, carmel barrels, and the coffee ones that only Dad liked thank god.

and when I was all grown up, and got my own box, the childish delight of picking a carmel all for myself, without guilt..........

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Ah I remember when tins of sweets came in an actual tin, made from metal. A big tin which would last a week in an average household.

Nowadays, it's a little wee plastic tub, the wrappers weighing more than the actual chocolates.

As for milk tray "all because the lady loves" do ye remember that slogan? (with the black-clothed perv breaking into houses) after that ad ran it's course - the quality went down.

Green and Blacks is where it's at - good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That’s because it’s not awful, it’s just fashionable to say it is because someone else said it. In reality, nobody would know the difference.\

The same people probably think Butlers and Lily O’Briens are hand made with love and care by some aul one or like the fake ‘master chocolatier’ in the Lindt ads :D

_

It's pretty bad, does have an unpleasant taste to it except for a crunchie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I LOVE CADBURY

Some of Cadburys stuff has gone downhill like roses but most of the main bars still taste amazing. Nothing in the world tastes better than a dairy milk or a Boost. Cadbury bashing is extremely popular on boards but it still sells far better than that utterly vile high cocoa dark chocolate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

People tend to go through these idealization and devaluation phases with most products/brands. Starbucks was manna from heaven when it first opened in Dundrum in 2005; now every armchair coffee 'expert' who used to drink Maxwell House will tell you that their beans are burnt. Same types started moaning about Cadburys at roughly the same time that Lindt and Green & Black started showing up in the average Dunnes Stores. They'll tell you that Budweiser is 'piss' or that the food at a once favored restaurant is 'muck' but lack the understanding or the articulation to explain why. It's just an opinion they've come across, internalized and spout every time the topic comes up for fear of being seen as a rube.

Anyway, for what it's worth I've been buying a Cadbury Tiffin or Fruit & Nut once or twice a week for about 25 years now. Still tastes fine for what it is - pleasant but unremarkable milk chocolate that you can find in any newsagent across the country. It's not high-end chocolate but it's not trying to be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Frankie19

The smaller Cadbury bars are still made in ireland and taste better as they use Irish milk. The larger bars/slabs you get in supermarkets e.t.c are made in the uk and use different milk source and don't taste as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

Definitely agree Milk Tray has well and truly gone downhill taste wise the last few years. I see there was a new addition this year, Apple Crunch. Can’t see it being a popular one.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Touche

I have a large box of Milk Tray awaiting my undivided attention at some stage.(not yet)But I eat Dairy Milk with considerable enjoyment so am not anticipating reacting as the Op has done.

Each to their own. Maybe that I do not have much contact with other chocolate. I loved Butlers but cannot get it where I am.

Happy to act as disposal for entire bars and boxes of Cadburys.. ;)

Wait till you look for the delightful Turkish delight....

I hope that you had a good Christmas. Happy new year.

whiskeyman wrote: »

Bland, flavourless candy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

whiskeyman wrote: »

The milk tray non binary individual

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The milk tray non binary individual

Does the non-binary individual prefer to stick to the more traditional base-10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Frankie19 wrote: »
    The smaller Cadbury bars are still made in ireland and taste better as they use Irish milk. The larger bars/slabs you get in supermarkets e.t.c are made in the uk and use different milk source and don't taste as good.

Different terroir over there is it? Feckin' Protestant cows and their weird tasting milk?

I mean, most wine experts can't distinguish between red and white wines in a blindfolded test. But you - Paddy Chocolate Expert - can somehow tell the difference between the milk from Irish vs English cows even after it's been pasteurized and processed into newsagent grade chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Is Milk Tray man still sneaking into sexy womens bedrooms?

https://youtu.be/3DWt39zk00I

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

American took over.... Dirt it is....

Even the plant at coolock looks like it's shut....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I gave up hydrogenated fat years ago. And corn syrup as well. You should too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

AllForIt wrote: »
    I gave up hydrogenated fat years ago. And corn syrup as well. You should too.

Palm oil.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

American took over.... Dirt it is....

Even the plant at coolock looks like it's shut....

As of 18 months ago 380 people are employed at the facility which produces all the eight-square Dairy Milks as well as Flakes, Twirls and Star bars from what I’m reading ‘link below’.. apparently Mondelēz have and are spending cash to automate the production of their products so less human manpower will be required..

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/up-to-70-jobs-to-go-at-cadbury-plant-in-coolock-1.3886372

Advertisement