Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Tray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Strumms wrote: »
    As of 18 months ago 380 people are employed at the facility which produces all the eight-square Dairy Milks as well as Flakes, Twirls and Star bars from what I’m reading ‘link below’.. apparently Mondelēz have and are spending cash to automate the production of their products so less human manpower will be required..

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/up-to-70-jobs-to-go-at-cadbury-plant-in-coolock-1.3886372

Sorry forgot to mention, I know it ain't just how different it is now, passed by yesterday looked completely shut down.....

Such s pity as they were a good employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Chocolate should be heavily taxed and multi buys BOGOF offers banned. When this pandemic is over, the HSE needs to stop treating people with type 2 diabetes. It’s a reversible condition and costs us 100s of millions per year to treat because people are too ****ing lazy to go out and exercise, change their diets, portion sizes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sorry forgot to mention, I know it ain't just how different it is now, passed by yesterday looked completely shut down.....

Such s pity as they were a good employer.

I pass by there once a week myself, looks absolutely dead alright.

Looking overhead on google maps, I can count 17 cars parked there. You’d have to guess that is nothing for a site that size...would probably be at least in and around 5 or 6 security on site for a site that size so you are talking a handful of employees only.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Milk Tray, a product I will forever associate with those James Bond style 1980s TV adverts, had sadly been deteriorating in quality for well over a decade now.

But only yesterday my partner bought a box and we were shocked at how poor Milk Tray has become. Shame on Kraft/Mondelez for tarnishing a once great name in chocolate. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

It's not only Cadbury we opened a box of dairy box last night
    Horrible
    They all tasted the same

• Advertisement

It's all waxy and gross now. Although, controversially, the low sugar dairy milk I find much nicer than the original. Tastes a little more like old Cadbury's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Has anyone tasted Black Magic lately? They were the height of sophistication when I was growing up. Have they been ruined as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

That’s because it’s not awful, it’s just fashionable to say it is because someone else said it. In reality, nobody would know the difference.\

_

Even if you don't notice the difference in the chocolate, you have to have noticed the change in the fillings of roses and milk tray, as well as the substitution of some of the classics with poor replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

BuboBubo wrote: »

Nowadays, it's a little wee plastic tub, the wrappers weighing more than the actual chocolates.

And the plastic tubs have managed to shrink in the short time they've been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Bland, flavourless candy.

Candy? Fook off yank and take your puke flavoured chocolate with you. :)

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Frankie19

46 Long wrote: »
    Different terroir over there is it? Feckin' Protestant cows and their weird tasting milk?

I mean, most wine experts can't distinguish between red and white wines in a blindfolded test. But you - Paddy Chocolate Expert - can somehow tell the difference between the milk from Irish vs English cows even after it's been pasteurized and processed into newsagent grade chocolate.

There is a massive difference between the taste of milk from different countries which affects foods its in. Ever have US chocolate? Pure muck due to how they pasteurise their milk and add chemicals to it to keep the shelf life longer and avoid melting easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Chocolate should be heavily taxed and multi buys BOGOF offers banned. When this pandemic is over, the HSE needs to stop treating people with type 2 diabetes. It’s a reversible condition and costs us 100s of millions per year to treat because people are too ****ing lazy to go out and exercise, change their diets, portion sizes etc.

Plenty of action on all fronts going on here.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/sugar-sweetened-drinks-tax/liability.aspx

https://assets.gov.ie/10073/ccbd6325268b48da80b8a9e5421a9eae.pdf

https://www.gov.ie/en/policy-information/b60202-national-physical-activity/

https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/healthy-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Has anyone tasted Black Magic lately? They were the height of sophistication when I was growing up. Have they been ruined as well?

Yeah got a box at Christmas
    Didnt see any problems....tasted same as iv always tasted them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Hundreds of millions is spent combatting drug addiction and it’s affects.

Outpatient treatment, inpatient, respite, recovery, , methadone, counseling...

100% of the population know drug use or abuse is wrong but.... hundreds of millions on treating addicts over a decade.

The government still allows the sale of cigarettes, WHY ? despite the fact that its known that smoking is shortening your life or compromising your wellbeing from the get go... despite the huge tax on cigarettes, this tax isn’t freeing up hospital beds...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The tastiest chocolate out there at the minute is the galaxy or the ripple.it’s an a+ grade chocolate where the rest are all rated as c’s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I do think darkmilk is much better than the sh!te dairymilk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭AllForIt

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I do think darkmilk is much better than the sh!te dairymilk

It is, and 75%+ pure cocoa stops you from eating the whole bar in one go as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

AllForIt wrote: »
    It is, and 75%+ pure cocoa stops you from eating the whole bar in one go as well.

Does it fcuk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Palm oil.......
    Cheapest edible oil as evidenced by the existence of Palmolive soap.

And 120 years to become carbon neutral when they destroy habitat to make new fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Lynn Door

Haven't had these in years but got a box in my workplace secret santa. Jeeze what's happened to them? They're vile. No soft and hard centres. Just artificial tasting sludgy fudgy centres surrounded by cheap crappy chocolate. Is nothing sacred?

Its cos they are a fiver now. Was that your secret santa limit!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

gone be the days when no one in the house, and I mean no one, aka a mortal sin, choose the carmel one and the twirly ones with the hazel nut in the middle. They belonged to Mammy.

the rest were up for grabs, and had actual centres i.e. organge, strawberry, turkish delight, fudge, carmel barrels, and the coffee ones that only Dad liked thank god.

and when I was all grown up, and got my own box, the childish delight of picking a carmel all for myself, without guilt..........

She hogged all the carmel ones and the twirly ones with the hazel nut in the middle for herself and ye let her!!!!!The humanity!

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

Maybe your secret Santa does not like you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cheapest edible oil as evidenced by the existence of Palmolive soap.

And 120 years to become carbon neutral when they destroy habitat to make new fields.
    The heaviest most unhealthy oil as well.

46 Long wrote: »
    Different terroir over there is it? Feckin' Protestant cows and their weird tasting milk?

I mean, most wine experts can't distinguish between red and white wines in a blindfolded test. But you - Paddy Chocolate Expert - can somehow tell the difference between the milk from Irish vs English cows even after it's been pasteurized and processed into newsagent grade chocolate.

Wut??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That’s because it’s not awful, it’s just fashionable to say it is because someone else said it. In reality, nobody would know the difference.\

The same people probably think Butlers and Lily O’Briens are hand made with love and care by some aul one or like the fake ‘master chocolatier’ in the Lindt ads :D

_

I disagree.

You become conditioned to it.

I recall about 25 years ago bringing big Dairy Milk bars to the US, and they were disgusted by them, because they were conditioned to the American Soy based crap.

Cadbury customers here now are similar, just used to eating the new style crap.

Each to their own, but it's not Milk Chocolate as we know it.

AllForIt wrote: »

40%. 75% would be crazy dark chocolate lovers territory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Frankie19 wrote: »
    There is a massive difference between the taste of milk from different countries which affects foods its in.

You're deluding yourself if you think you can tell the difference between Irish vs English milk in a blind taste test, let alone after it's been processed into chocolate.
    Ever have US chocolate? Pure muck

Some of it is. Hersheys is notorious for a vomit like flavor caused by the presence of butyric acid. Not necessarily a bad thing - it's also found in things like Parmesan cheese. There are also plenty of craft/artisan chocolatiers there making products every bit as good as Swiss chocoolate.
    due to how they pasteurise their milk and add chemicals to it to keep the shelf life longer and avoid melting easily.

Please explain the differences in the pasteurization process and these vague 'chemicals' the Americans are adding to their chocolate.

It's all waxy and gross now. Although, controversially, the low sugar dairy milk I find much nicer than the original. Tastes a little more like old Cadbury's.

Is it full of those ****e sweeteners though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Does it fcuk.

Pig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Haven't had these in years but got a box in my workplace secret santa. Jeeze what's happened to them? They're vile. No soft and hard centres. Just artificial tasting sludgy fudgy centres surrounded by cheap crappy chocolate. Is nothing sacred?

Kraft foods. Quality at the expense of max profit. All products gone to fook.

Advertisement