Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partner moving into my house

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

dev_ire wrote: »
    But you could live just paying bills ie essentially for free in good conscience?

Yes. I would save my money and if we split great I can get my own mortgage instead of having paid a chunk of his, walk away with no entangled finances. If we don’t split then great - let’s buy a new house together 50/50 or I buy into his and my name goes on the deed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

YellowLead wrote: »
    Exactly she is right. Just don’t ask him to help pay the mortgage and there’s no worries. If she can’t afford to then what is she doing having one in the first place. She then gets to own her own house fully. If he is pausing his own chance to get his own place he should be able to continue to save for his own place so if she kicks him out 5/10 years down the line it’s not years of paying somebody else’s mortgage down the drain and having to start from scratch again. If somebody asked me to move in with them but looked for rent I’d tell them where to go, I’m not paying somebody else’s mortgage thank you very much I’ll pay for my own. If it looks like a forever situation and we have the chat and they agree to compensate me if things go south, then I’d do it. But I’d consider it ‘our’ home not his. And I would not look for ‘half’ should things go south, just an amount proportionate to my contribution for however long I’ve been paying off the mortgage.

But he isn't paying the mortgage. He is paying for a roof over his head. You wouldn't pay for a taxi home and then turn to the driver and say, now I'm entitled to a share in your car. Certainly wouldn't say, this money is paying your mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

But he isn't paying the mortgage. He is paying for a roof over his head. You wouldn't pay for a taxi home and then turn to the driver and say, now I'm entitled to a share in your car. Certainly wouldn't say, this money is paying your mortgage.

Haha I wouldn’t give my partner a lift home and be like - cough up, taxi fare!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

Yeah I don't really understand the whole "leaving them with nothing" argument. They got a roof over their head for x amount of time, is there any worth in that?

They are contributing to your mortgage, but you are providing them with cheap(er) accommodation to live in.

I'm renting now; why can't I turn around to my landlord and demand a share in the house I've been renting for years...?

I'm kinda baffled

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A taxi is a one night stand so you won't have any claim to their car, unless you didn't use protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭dublin49

I think the answer is ,longer term there is no scenario where you are not exposed to some kind of claim,while acknowledging all the reasonably valid arguments why this should not be the case.If this is on your mind now think how it could torment you when a 5 year milestone is approaching and you are not sure if this is going to last.I do think a fresh start with you pocketing the equity from your current property ,at least initially is probably the better option. Obviously over time that equity might be used jointly but it would easier to stay in control of an account than Bricks and mortar.Otherwise accept the risks like most do and put your faith in your judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

fincollins wrote: »
    Yeah I don't really understand the whole "leaving them with nothing" argument. They got a roof over their head for x amount of time, is there any worth in that?

They are contributing to your mortgage, but you are providing them with cheap(er) accommodation to live in.

I'm renting now; why can't I turn around to my landlord and demand a share in the house I've been renting for years...?

I'm kinda baffled

One is a business relationship and the other isn't. If you start sleeping with your landlord then you would have a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Del2005 wrote: »
    A taxi is a one night stand so you won't have any claim to their car, unless you didn't use protection.

So taxis are hookers now !

Advertisement