Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there was a world reset what would you keep and what would you get rid of

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Your Face wrote: »
    Get rid: about half the human population. Not by a general cull but by implementing progressive population controls over many years.

Keep: the earth for a bit longer.

Affluence would sort that; look at the size of families in the West versus poorer countries. There's enough to go around for everyone to have a comfortable life and still have enough surplus to incentivise progress but people would have to aim at being millionaires, not multi-billionaires, for it to work and too many people want to be the next Bezos with feck all regard for the cost to the rest of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Get rid of
    Wokeism
    Feminists

Replace with
    Meritocracy and Egalitarism

Wokeism seems to be a term used by people who don't like egalitarianism being sought after in practice. And many of the people advocating for meritocracy, seem to be branded as Feminists (either by themselves or others to be fair)

Can we get some clarification on these issues before I decide whether to get a poster or a pitchfork..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Entertaining people who have radical views of society and life as we have understood and lived it from the beginning of human existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Strumms wrote: »
    Problem with marriage, it’s about committing. It’s a life commitment. Otherwise just stay dating. If you end up breaking up after x years it’s usually acrimonious, property, cars, kids, cash and other assets need to be distributed fairly... courts would be overwhelmed.

I’d get rid of a 40 hour working week. Work to live and not live to work... I think a 32 hour week would be good. Four eight hour shifts... three days off... how many of us now just spend best part of a day / day and a half recovering on Saturday maybe into Sunday after finishing on a Friday... time off isn’t to be enjoying life it’s recovery from working life.... that shouldn’t be. Of course depending on your employer but that’s not an uncommon scenario.

I was really lucky once in my life for 3 years where I never worked more than 30 hours per week. It was just because of the nature of that particular business. Had the best time of my life then which I don't think is a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

greta thurnberg to go plus all the EU parliament salaries they should do the job for average wage then they might have people who care about their countries rather than the big salaries and the special perks to vote in certain ways !! If the jobs of politicians were for less wages we would get better folk who are not motivated by greed but by loyalty to the country

Are all these great politicians currently sitting around waiting for the wages to come down? They are super loyal to the country but only if they are paid minimum wage :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Wokeism seems to be a term used by people who don't like egalitarianism being sought after in practice. And many of the people advocating for meritocracy, seem to be branded as Feminists (either by themselves or others to be fair)

Can we get some clarification on these issues before I decide whether to get a poster or a pitchfork..

Meritocracy
    You achieve your position based on merrit. This could mean occupations dominated by men or asian or etc. The people best at the job do the job.

Eagilatarism
    Taking away the barriers that prevent the best from achieving the best.

Feminism,
    Even the name is sexist, how prioitising one sex over the other is not seen as discrimination is ridiculous, once upon a time it might have been about equal standing. Not any more, now it's a class war about plundering from the same assholeš who screw us all, trampling on everyone else in the process. --->> Animal Farm

Wokeism
    The superficial attack of differences in society without ever copping the fück on we are all different and those differences are important. A simple example, why is it that Asian students make up a dissproportionate amount of high achievers but we can't talk about that because it would be racist :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Get rid of social media, data tracking, "celebrities" who are famous despite having no real talent, all these woke c**ts who go around preaching to everyone about how we should live our lives and "cancel" anyone that disagrees with them. Murderers, rapists, paedophiles and violent criminals, bent politicians. Man United.

All good stuff but you won me over with Man U :D

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

get rid of selfie maniacs & bloody tiktok so much ****e !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

AllForIt wrote: »
    I was really lucky once in my life for 3 years where I never worked more than 30 hours per week. It was just because of the nature of that particular business. Had the best time of my life then which I don't think is a coincidence.

It’s surely not a coincidence.

168 hours in a week.

We sleep on average 56 hours a week.

Work 40.

Conservatively we commute about 3 hours to and from work.

.... 99 hours out of 168

Roughly 60% of our week, is spend outside of control or disposal to do what we want with... the rest, about 40% is to do what we like with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Working hours Should be scaled as you get older when you hit 50,30 hours a week and when you hit 60, 20 hours a week and retire at 70 if you want although I think they should be no retirement age. They should be no unemployment payment as every one should contribute to society if it's only brushing the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 FordPerfect

Corporal punishment for anti-social offences... a few lashes of the cat-o-nine-tails will soon change a skangers tune.

No permanent naturalization for non-EU citizens, a rolling 5 year renewable visa dependent on clean criminal records and an attempt to work.

Caps on personal wealth... no more than 1 Billion to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Corporal punishment for anti-social offences... a few lashes of the cat-o-nine-tails will soon change a skangers tune.

No permanent naturalization for non-EU citizens, a rolling 5 year renewable visa dependent on clean criminal records and an attempt to work.

Caps on personal wealth... no more than 1 Billion to start with.

Only one billion:eek:, what am I going to do with the rest of my money !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kerryjack wrote: »
    Working hours Should be scaled as you get older when you hit 50,30 hours a week and when you hit 60, 20 hours a week and retire at 70 if you want although I think they should be no retirement age. They should be no unemployment payment as every one should contribute to society if it's only brushing the streets.

If we have everybody not working out brushing streets we have less jobs, less council workers to do it.. more people looking for work, and relying on payments.

Plus you’ll just have thousands of medical card holders getting exemption letters from their GPs.

Scaling back hours might be a good idea. You hit 60.. you have the ‘option’ of a 32 hour week until 65... lots would take it, a good number probably would. I’ve just thought of it now but I’d be biting a hand off for that.

You have a greater opportunity to approach and enter retirement in a much more physical and psychological state of wellbeing.

Advertisement