Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there was a world reset what would you keep and what would you get rid of

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

kerryjack wrote: »
    I would get rid of marriage for life, should be a contract for say 5 years and after that you would be out of contract and free for a month or go back to partner after a month if you wish. Everyone would look after themselves better, stay in better shape and more action in the bedroom,personally I think the day a man gets married and gives up the chase he dies a little.I would get rid of 40 hour working weeks, 20 hour weeks sound about right and should be no unemployment if work was shared out more. What would you keep and get rid of.

Things would've been rough in the olden days, but they'd really pick up after the Bosman ruling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Farsebook and Titter

AMKC wrote: »
    All prostitution would be got rid of too. Monogamy get rid of it.why should a man not have 3 or 4 wifes or gfs and the same with a women have as many partners as you want or can afford.

No prostitution, but still talking about affording partners...

Get rid of cats. Too many birds and small mammals being hunted to extinction by domestic cats

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I am not on facebook, instagram, twiter etc so I am not annoyed by all the $hite people post. All you have to do is delete your accounts.

What little accounts I had, are deleted. But unless you decided to live with a polar bear in the Artic circle, you can't escape it.

Pick up a newspaper, the old media is obsessed with new (social) media and every opinion piece references it, especially with respect to younger reporters.

Turn on a TV. Every program is hashtag this and hashtag that. More and more airtime devoted to hearing what Malachy in Nobber thinks about the vaccine rollout on twitter. Have your say. Check the twitter machine! What does Nuala in Skibbereen think about molecular physics, it's crucial we know.

Politics - What has been said on social media? What's the latest earth shattering tweet? What incendiary remark has been made by which attention seeking bubblehead today?

Meet people in a pub or just go on public transport....... Conversations stifled by social media scrolling zombies. People becoming so unpracticed in human interaction that to disturb them from their Facebook account elicits a look of terror.

I haven't even started on how social media is undermining western democracy and is a key reason why follies like Trump and Brexit were vomited up.

Deleting my accounts don't really solve any of these!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Meet people in a pub or just go on public transport....... Conversations stifled by social media scrolling zombies. People becoming so unpracticed in human interaction that to disturb them from their Facebook account elicits a look of terror.

There is another thread where someone is always engaged in conversation by old women on the bus. If they don't come to you, sit beside one of them and spark up a conversation. The art of conversation at home and in pubs was killed off by television decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭pgj2015

What little accounts I had, are deleted. But unless you decided to live with a polar bear in the Artic circle, you can't escape it.

Pick up a newspaper, the old media is obsessed with new (social) media and every opinion piece references it, especially with respect to younger reporters.

Turn on a TV. Every program is hashtag this and hashtag that. More and more airtime devoted to hearing what Malachy in Nobber thinks about the vaccine rollout on twitter. Have your say. Check the twitter machine! What does Nuala in Skibbereen think about molecular physics, it's crucial we know.

Politics - What has been said on social media? What's the latest earth shattering tweet? What incendiary remark has been made by which attention seeking bubblehead today?

I haven't even started on how social media is undermining western democracy and is a key reason why follies like Trump and Brexit were vomited up.

Deleting my accounts don't really solve any of these!

You can choose to ignore most of that to be fair. I wouldn't stay in someone's company if they stared at their phones while im trying to talk to them, most people have enough manners not to do that.

id say facebook, twitter and the like are actually good for seeing what people are really like and avoiding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

greta thurnberg to go plus all the EU parliament salaries they should do the job for average wage then they might have people who care about their countries rather than the big salaries and the special perks to vote in certain ways !! If the jobs of politicians were for less wages we would get better folk who are not motivated by greed but by loyalty to the country

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

McGaggs wrote: »
    mormons had that suited the female aswell as if not bothered it was "go pester another today".
    4 or 5 "wives" limits disease spread and always one female seeks attention (sods law all "ON" at
    same time lol). politicians are the ones who put an end to that as patriachial fear of female having
    "support" of many males could alter their patriachial empires.
    humans born either male or female and my experience of life is the female of species is the most
    jealous and vindictive and unless as mormons"religion" driven, females dont like to share whilst males
    are by nature seed spreaders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

The ability to completely reset the world - anything possible! enlightenment, cosmos exploration, discovery of the cure for all diseases, eternal youth- and what ye want above all else is a small stable of women to ride :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Gruffalux wrote: »
    The ability to completely reset the world - anything possible! enlightenment, cosmos exploration, discovery of the cure for all diseases, eternal youth- and what ye want above all else is a small stable of women to ride :)

And probably a rake of cans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

McGaggs wrote: »

The difference here is they are partners not some poor girl that has been trafficked and is been forced to have sex against her will with a load of men by some kingpin so he can make money. Makes me sick.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Childhood illnesses.

At least give people a chance to get to their 20s.
    We kinda did that already in the 20th century. If you picture your class at school when you were a kid, well in 1800 about a third of them would have been dead before 18.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Booo boring. I think it's great and in my world it would be something that stays. The more the better I say.
    Nah, the gender pronoun stuff is today's mostly adolescents looking for self and group identity and belonging(and being different from the old). Instead of being mods, goths, rockers, punks whatever, they're Ze/Zir/non binary/two spirit etc. You'll have a few hang onto it like you see old rockers and punks from time to time, but it'll pass like all such social fashions do.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

frag420 wrote: »
    I’d keep a little needle or maybe some toothpicks in case we need to do another reset...

i'm grand with a Phase Tester screwdriver

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Keep: Nature, animals and fast cars

Get rid: social media nobodies like Vogue Williams, Una Healy and the Kardashians. Basically, anyone who thinks the world revolves around them and their massively over-rated and ignorant opinions.

If Covid 19 has one positive, its putting the likes of the above Z Listers at the absolute bottom (hopefully soon kicked off) the list of things people give an absolute fcuk about. In a year when people had to say goodbye to their dying relatives by Facetime without a final kiss, a year when people are losing their jobs, houses and mental health- reading about what Una Healy thinks of her body is pretty irrelevant by comparison.

The difference here is they are partners not some poor girl that has been trafficked and is been forced to have sex against her will with a load of men by some kingpin so he can make money. Makes me sick.
    in the case of females more open to activity and less using their power to be choosey -- there would be no
    need for prostitution,
    Go on give the fat ugly bald guy a shag 9 might be better than your chosen preference\partner and at the least
    its different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Tork

Religion. It has been misused for all sorts of nefarious purposes down through the centuries and has inflicted misery on many. As an added bonus, it'd get rid of radical atheists as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Your Face wrote: »
    Get rid: about half the human population. Not by a general cull but by implementing progressive population controls over many years.

Keep: the earth for a bit longer.
    They reckon we will reach peak population by 2050, some even say 2030. After that the Earth's population is going to fall off a cliff. There'll be no need for any intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I'd get rid of all languages except English.
    Instant death to all Dickheads who disagree with me.

• Advertisement

They reckon we will reach peak population by 2050, some even say 2030. After that the Earth's population is going to fall off a cliff. There'll be no need for any intervention.
    Again who says so --- vested interests whom are naught but for profit.
    the planet can support and feed far more than what is bandied about.
    there should be no hungry humans now but greed and profit with power grab is the way

Domestic prostitutes are OK. Got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Well if 'they' reckon that then that's fine.
    Glad that's sorted.

Social media. I'd love to live in a 2020 version of the internet world we knew circa 2005.

No facebook, no instragram, no obsession with recording every facet of our lives.

I think you and I would be good friends

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Hodger

A shorter work week a few years ago Sweden trialed a six hour work day I would strongly support a reset of the work week to a six hour work day for a better work/life balance.

Political reset implementation of direct democracy similar to the Swiss model of citizen initiated referendums.

The current model of most countries of just voting in elections every few years and getting no direct say on Important issues afterwards should be changed take the Ceta trade deal for example there is a lot of opposition to it if it goes through a dail vote remains to be seen as only time will tell if the green party do a complete a u turn but that aside a moment under a political model of direct democracy a referendum could be initiated by citizens on Ceta where the citizens get the final say on Ceta.

A complete ban on all hunting activities hunting deer or foxes or other animals for some peoples entertainment Id support a total ban on such activities with the ban strongly enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Swiss system run by men denied women the vote up until 1971. In some votes it was 1991, when the courts stepped in to overrule local decisions.

On 7 February 1971, 65.7% of male voters across the nation agreed women should be allowed to vote in federal elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Also:
    No camp gay men.
    No dungraree gay women.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Get rid of social media, data tracking, "celebrities" who are famous despite having no real talent, all these woke c**ts who go around preaching to everyone about how we should live our lives and "cancel" anyone that disagrees with them. Murderers, rapists, paedophiles and violent criminals, bent politicians. Man United.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Clothes. Why can't we all just strut around nude?

That's so weird. I went out to the shops this very evening and it was freezing. I was all wrapped up in a fur lined jacket and I wondered how humans ever survived without clothes. I mean we are not built for the elements are we. Then again pigs don't have a natural fur either and they live outdoors. Then again they hold a lot of fat. I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kerryjack wrote: »
    I would get rid of marriage for life, should be a contract for say 5 years and after that you would be out of contract and free for a month or go back to partner after a month if you wish. Everyone would look after themselves better, stay in better shape and more action in the bedroom,personally I think the day a man gets married and gives up the chase he dies a little.I would get rid of 40 hour working weeks, 20 hour weeks sound about right and should be no unemployment if work was shared out more. What would you keep and get rid of.

Problem with marriage, it’s about committing. It’s a life commitment. Otherwise just stay dating. If you end up breaking up after x years it’s usually acrimonious, property, cars, kids, cash and other assets need to be distributed fairly... courts would be overwhelmed.

I’d get rid of a 40 hour working week. Work to live and not live to work... I think a 32 hour week would be good. Four eight hour shifts... three days off... how many of us now just spend best part of a day / day and a half recovering on Saturday maybe into Sunday after finishing on a Friday... time off isn’t to be enjoying life it’s recovery from working life.... that shouldn’t be. Of course depending on your employer but that’s not an uncommon scenario.

Advertisement