Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you track your child's online activity?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

There’s something very wrong with you to take “I’ll track and monitor what they’re up to” as some sort of weird control measure.

Supervising kids does not = being Big Brother. We’re not following them around in ice cream vans that are really surveillance vans from the FBI.

Then why say you'll "track and monitor what they are up to"?

You said it, not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Yes. Up to 16. How much sense do you think teenagers have? Online grooming? Street smarts?

None, that's how much.

They are FAR more influenced by what their schoolmates are doing and thinking (or say they are) than by anything adults tell them.
    They are NOT grown-ups, even if they think they are. And it's a dark, dangerous world out there on the internet.

Well put.
    There's some dark places on the web. Sure take your average 12 year old. They'd be thinking about sex and looking at things online.

A lot of kinky and freaky stuff out there. No way would you want to expose a kid to all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Well put.
    There's some dark places on the web. Sure take your average 12 year old. They'd be thinking about sex and looking at things online.

A lot of kinky and freaky stuff out there. No way would you want to expose a kid to all that.
    yep osterich === in all matters hide the facts instead of educate and prepare.
    your mentality is what allows the government away with corruption\murder\theft etc. ,
    oh just hide it and all is well - the actual shock and the complete dissolving of confidence
    and trust in the "elders" parents\government\police force is what happens.
    the last 50 years has opened to adults alone what the corrupt have been upto and how
    the snouts in trough protect each other to the detriment of the citizens.
    (just look at the fake "green" agenda one of is dig up millions of tonnes (with damage to environment)
    of earth and use slave labour at pittance rates just to produce electric car batteries.
    this will be in other countries so YOU can excuse yourself.

Then why say you'll "track and monitor what they are up to"?

You said it, not me.

No, I didn’t, actually.

I disagreed with your assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

If I had a child, and he or she was underage, then yes I would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

branie2 wrote: »
    If I had a child, and he or she was underage, then yes I would.
    what is "underage" ? ---
    too young to be told FACT they can rob\tell lies and do but you cannot.
    That others with knowledge will use it to abuse them and take advantage.
    Better to be open and try to answer or get help to answer. otherwise you are reproducing a minime
    with your taint on Reality which by wanting to hide you are doing a disservice.
    Dont tell them the fire is hot and dont let them near it to experience the heat and form their own
    judgement.
    the politicians lies and failure with fake laws - "keep them ignorant then state they cannot consent".
    Did you know government continually breaks eu law in your name, you dont know and so you consent.
    just as politicians twist words and sentences to hide, citizens can unravel and reword them correctly.
    knowledge is power and powerful deny you knowledge - this being not just government but elders\parents\
    authorities and those responsible for the next generation being prepared for life (not your pretend world).

jelem wrote: »
    what is "underage" ? ---
    too young to be told FACT they can rob\tell lies and do but you cannot.
    That others with knowledge will use it to abuse them and take advantage.
    Better to be open and try to answer or get help to answer. otherwise you are reproducing a minime
    with your taint on Reality which by wanting to hide you are doing a disservice.
    Dont tell them the fire is hot and dont let them near it to experience the heat and form their own
    judgement.
    the politicians lies and failure with fake laws - "keep them ignorant then state they cannot consent".
    Did you know government continually breaks eu law in your name, you dont know and so you consent.
    just as politicians twist words and sentences to hide, citizens can unravel and reword them correctly.
    knowledge is power and powerful deny you knowledge - this being not just government but elders\parents\
    authorities and those responsible for the next generation being prepared for life (not your pretend world).

this has to be the longest paragraph of text I’ve ever seen, that literally says *nothing*

Absolutely. I've 4 boys one is 16. I don't track everything but I know what he's doing all the time!!! And if I suspect he's on the wrong path, we talk about it. He knows we keep tabs on him and his brothers, he knows why.
    There are some nut cases out there and its a parents role to protect and support young children and teens and show them how to navigate the world as good as possible. Breaking a child's trust isn't a valid excuse not to guide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭pah

this has to be the longest paragraph of text I’ve ever seen, that literally says *nothing*

I wouldn't worry about it, their other posts are all similarly vague/obscure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

jelem wrote: »
    yep osterich === in all matters hide the facts instead of educate and prepare.
    your mentality is what allows the government away with corruption\murder\theft etc. ,
    oh just hide it and all is well - the actual shock and the complete dissolving of confidence
    and trust in the "elders" parents\government\police force is what happens.
    the last 50 years has opened to adults alone what the corrupt have been upto and how
    the snouts in trough protect each other to the detriment of the citizens.
    (just look at the fake "green" agenda one of is dig up millions of tonnes (with damage to environment)
    of earth and use slave labour at pittance rates just to produce electric car batteries.
    this will be in other countries so YOU can excuse yourself.

What are you smoking dude? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'd definitely monitor up to about 15, possibly more with a girl as they seem to be persecuted more than boys by online trolls, bullies etc. Look at Coco's law that has just been passed. I'd rather my child be angry with me than winding up in some old man's bedroom or harming herself because she can no longer cope with online bullying.

We are parents first, friends second. If our kids are angry with us from time to time, it probably just means we are doing our job.

Antares35 wrote: »
    I'd definitely monitor up to about 15, possibly more with a girl as they seem to be persecuted more than boys by online trolls, bullies etc. Look at Coco's law that has just been passed. I'd rather my child be angry with me than winding up in some old man's bedroom or harming herself because she can no longer cope with online bullying.

We are parents first, friends second. If our kids are angry with us from time to time, it probably just means we are doing our job.

+100.

This whole post & especially the part at the bottom. It’s almost a daily occurrence one or (most likely) both of our kids get angry at us for one thing or another. Possibly multiple times!

Advertisement