Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Green&Red wrote: »
    £ARG - Argo Blockchain PLC

Mine Bitcoin, keep 50% of what they mine so essentially a bet on Bitcoin.
    Not yet on Nasdaq as they’re below $2 but RIOT and MARA trade for 4X, mine less and sell a bigger %

Risky stock but long term big upside

How wrong was I

Short term huge upside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

UK flying today, I just have the iShares Core FTSE 100 ETF which gives good exposure to the UK market. (Free to invest once every month with degiro)
    ftse 1000 at ~6700 which is still over a 1000 points off the ath of 7877 points, which was reached on 22 May 2018. The ftse is less tech based and has more Miners, healthcare, banking and Insurance compared to the likes of the S&P.
    I think this will do well over the next 18 months as brexit gets smoothed out

I'm hopeful my PRSA is covering this market for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

UK flying today, I just have the iShares Core FTSE 100 ETF which gives good exposure to the UK market. (Free to invest once every month with degiro)
    ftse 1000 at ~6700 which is still over a 1000 points off the ath of 7877 points, which was reached on 22 May 2018. The ftse is less tech based and has more Miners, healthcare, banking and Insurance compared to the likes of the S&P.
    I think this will do well over the next 18 months as brexit gets smoothed out

Does it fall under 41% ETF tax or 33% CGT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭borus22222

I have a quick question, I play US market mostly and looking to hedge my positions as i feel that market is quite volatile.

Not that comfortable with options so was looking for some shares which would follow the opposite direction then the market. I found ETF such as UVXY VXX but i can't buy them via interactive brokers. Would anyone have some eu registered ones which would follow SP500 or suggest different way to hedge the positions against potential market correction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

borus22222 wrote: »
    I have a quick question, I play US market mostly and looking to hedge my positions as i feel that market is quite volatile.

Not that comfortable with options so was looking for some shares which would follow the opposite direction then the market. I found ETF such as UVXY VXX but i can't buy them via interactive brokers. Would anyone have some eu registered ones which would follow SP500 or suggest different way to hedge the positions against potential market correction?

I'm open to correction but an ETF could expose you to greater problems depending on how versatile the portfolio is. If I remember correctly they've been linked to short crashes in the last decade so if you're going down that route then be very certain of what you're buying.

As for brokers, I don't know of any but I'm sure there are one or two that offer them. I guess the nature of reducing brokerage costs results in brokers not really bothering to offer them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

borus22222 wrote: »

You can buy S&P inverse ETFs. If it goes up you lose, if it goes down you win. They can be leveraged so you win or lose times two.

You can buy S&P inverse ETFs. If it goes up you lose, if it goes down you win. They can be leveraged so you win or lose times two.

It appears to me that I can only buy european registered ETFs. Some sort of regulation. I'm struggling to find inverse etf with european ticker.

circadian wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but an ETF could expose you to greater problems depending on how versatile the portfolio is. If I remember correctly they've been linked to short crashes in the last decade so if you're going down that route then be very certain of what you're buying.

As for brokers, I don't know of any but I'm sure there are one or two that offer them. I guess the nature of reducing brokerage costs results in brokers not really bothering to offer them.

Appreciate your opinion, therefore my second question. What other safety net can be established? I know that playing options you can buy "puts" but potential loss is unlimited. The reverse stock/ETF like the two i mentioned are@ all time low. Was thinks of 5-7% of my investment to put there. The price of them jumped 10x in March which would cover any potential losses. That was reason behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,327 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

bish76 wrote: »

41% I'd assume.

Investment Trusts a much better option.

Monthly ETF purchases are nuts, I've looked into it and it's a massive headache tax wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Dave1711 wrote: »
    Yeah i bought into Draftkings at 25 dollars and again at 33.

Probably get it on Fanduel once it goes public too.

FanDuel is public though. Flutter Entertainment is the stock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

41%,
    yeah I know it's severe but profit is profit, plus I have looses to write off against this year. In reality these etfs are only suited to US or UK investors, the Irish Govt has gone out of its way to make sure Irish people are not investing in etfs as this would not look good for the huge financial services market here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Geely is vailable in FRA. Well covered by analyst recently so I think price already reflects near future prospects. Happy to buy it around 2.3 current bid is 3.28.

Two Geely Automobiles available in Frankfurt

GEELY AUTOMOBILE HOLDINGS LTD. US36847Q1031 €65.00

Geely Automobile Holdings Ltd. HD -,02. 5KYG3777B1032 €3.29

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

Anybody know who makes syringes?

I'm thinking those manufacturers will make more money from vaccines as 2 needles needed for each person. Already shortages in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

daheff wrote: »
    Anybody know who makes syringes?

I'm thinking those manufacturers will make more money from vaccines as 2 needles needed for each person. Already shortages in Japan.

Looked at this early on - the big one in glass is Schott - its not on Degiro - maybe private.

Argo blasting off again today, well over £2 a share now. Problem with DeGiro is I can't set a stop loss on this for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Gamma1 wrote: »
    Looked at this early on - the big one in glass is Schott - its not on Degiro - maybe private.

Wholey owned by the Carl Zeiss Foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Two Geely Automobiles available in Frankfurt

GEELY AUTOMOBILE HOLDINGS LTD. US36847Q1031 €65.00

Geely Automobile Holdings Ltd. HD -,02. 5KYG3777B1032 €3.29

Did a bit of DD into this and from what I have read the €65 is approximately 20 shares of Geely.

On the HK market you can only buy in lots of 1000 (think Treppan mentioned this previously).

There are a lot of outstanding shares, hence I believe the low value price at the moment, but company is bullish on these being taken up.

I am in in this and will take up further positions anywhere sub 2.75

I see there's a lot of chatter about AMC on Reddit again, looks like there's going to be a pump today. If anyone's holding this might be worth watching to get out to break even or make a little profit.

I'll be staying clear however, it stinks to high heaven. An entirely new subreddit for WSB with pretty much lack of moderation and a post about millions of people "accidentally" buying AMC at open this morning.

If this takes off expect volatility elsewhere in the market like we've seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭cal naughton

circadian wrote: »
    I see there's a lot of chatter about AMC on Reddit again, looks like there's going to be a pump today. If anyone's holding this might be worth watching to get out to break even or make a little profit.

I'll be staying clear however, it stinks to high heaven. An entirely new subreddit for WSB with pretty much lack of moderation and a post about millions of people "accidentally" buying AMC at open this morning.

If this takes off expect volatility elsewhere in the market like we've seen before.

Stinks to high heaven you say!

I say it smells like a great opportunity to ride the wave and get a great swing trade going for today. And besides there is no way that AMC is fair value in the 5 dollar range. It's a squeeze play and a recovery play for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Topped up my Calnex Posiiton today. Doubled up already but still looking like good value.

10% SL as usual

Bytes up 10% already so SL moved up 5%

LUCE just hanging around a 6% loss atm so on a yellow card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,118 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Its been a good February, driven by Argo primarily

04f0f338d820006248d79b38ef922835.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Premarket looking tasty, wishing I had bought more of SOS last week, looking like a monster.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

So...
    ARGO ... Long hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

February certainly has been good so far! Mainly thanks to Argo and Ocugen - on another trajectory today! Most of my tech (mainly cyber security) stocks doing really well and also my SPACs getting ready to move me thinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭crushproof

Treppen wrote: »
    So...
    ARGO ... Long hold?

Missed the boat, didn't think it would climb higher since last week but its flipping doubled.

BTC is looking very stable so I'm tempted to jump in as they will surely reap the benefits of the current high values.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Another NNDM share offering. By now they basically are like a SPAC, with a huge amount of cash from all these offerings, which they are straight up planning on buying a company with. Terrible fundamentals, hugely negative revenue growth and dont even ask about P/E etc, but still a massive institution buy in and big fanbase. Offering price is 12.80, very unlikely to dip back to this, mid 13s half an hour after the market open would be my guess, and at that it will be under its 20day ma, which has provided extremely good support the last few months. I'd be tempted to add more for a swingtrade but I've too many already.

Gonna throw in on ESGC, increasing volume, looks like it's about to swing up. I reckon I could gain close to 50% on it, hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Timmaay wrote: »
    Another NNDM share offering. By now they basically are like a SPAC, with a huge amount of cash from all these offerings, which they are straight up planning on buying a company with. Terrible fundamentals, hugely negative revenue growth and dont even ask about P/E etc, but still a massive institution buy in and big fanbase. Offering price is 12.80, very unlikely to dip back to this, mid 13s half an hour after the market open would be my guess, and at that it will be under its 20day ma, which has provided extremely good support the last few months. I'd be tempted to add more for a swingtrade but I've too many already.

You'd have to wonder how much more Ark will buy, they must be close to 11% now.
    Ark have a huge amount of surplus cash from so many new investors buying into Ark funds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Treppen wrote: »
    So...
    ARGO ... Long hold?
    Definitely. ARGO and KR1 are my biggest 2 holdings now, and have no interest in trimming either. Doubled my KR1 position today. The more I read and listen to about these the more I like.

• Advertisement

Argo just keeps going up. I'll hold until there's a dip but the gains have been fantastic since last week.

Advertisement