Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Do people listen to Jim Cramer or is he a bit of a buy everything merchant? Only listened to one of his podcasts. Was plugging starpeak, dexcom and azek amongst many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,527 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yes for privacy.

I doubt the majority of people who buy iPhones do so for privacy reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

On Tuesday I'm planning on taking a position in DPW depending on what BTC does by then, hoping it doesn't totally dump if/when it hits $50k (likely by Tuesday).
    This is a EV and BTC play, so moves likely to be quite extreme.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

kippy wrote: »
    I doubt the majority of people who buy iPhones do so for privacy reasons.

No not yet but Apple are going down the road of “buy Apple and cause we don’t dredge your data with they view of selling it on”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

What do people use for looking at stock charts where you can put on indicators as overlays, etc? Want to try learn about charts and look at patterns and how things react, etc, etc.

I use a combination of the Webull desktop app and finviz.com to search for particular traits. I'm still learning charts and there are so many different variables and methods of interpreting the data. I agree that chart watching alone won't be sustainable long term, you'll always need to have a quick dig about the company too.

I bought shares in a company based purely on charts and it's been going up, with jumps every week or two. I'm talking small volume and small growth, but growth nonetheless.

I read an article last week about the top level execs buying up the shares with one of them buying a few thousand every two weeks. I don't know how true it is but I'm certainly interested to see what it does to the share prices over the next few months. It could possibly mean that they have some good IP coming or that they plan on selling the company off and trying to cash in as much as they can before it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Yes for privacy.

Apple refused to unlock an iPhone used by one of the San Bernadino shooters back in 2016, funny how the Defense Intelligence Agency was able to break the encryption. Makes you wonder how secure all this so called privacy really is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Supercell wrote: »
    On Tuesday I'm planning on taking a position in DPW depending on what BTC does by then, hoping it doesn't totally dump if/when it hits $50k (likely by Tuesday).
    This is a EV and BTC play, so moves likely to be quite extreme.

DPW was tipped here by Rigolo last year. It fell back about 33% since then and has hovered around the $5 mark, mostly below it, for nearly all that time. Yet BTC has gone up and up and up. Could be a good time to enter but may be a stagnant holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Apple refused to unlock an iPhone used by one of the San Bernadino shooters back in 2016, funny how the Defense Intelligence Agency was able to break the encryption. Makes you wonder how secure all this so called privacy really is

Apple seem to be making privacy a core feature of its ethos going forward. I don't own any Apple products so I am not some fanboy and I think their alignment in this direction has as much to do with commercial reasons as it does ethical concerns. There has been a groundswell against big tech and data collection which is growing louder all the time and I think positioning themselves as the white knight in this is extremely smart.

Guardian - Facebook v Apple: the looming showdown over data tracking and privacy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Do people listen to Jim Cramer or is he a bit of a buy everything merchant? Only listened to one of his podcasts. Was plugging starpeak, dexcom and azek amongst many others.

Yeah i like him, wouldn't be interested in many of the companies he advises to buy, but he usualy has intereviews with comapnies I wouldn't be familair with.

To be fair, he does tell people not to buy when it's warranted. In general tho it's a buy so long as he thinks it'll be up even 3/4% in a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

What are peoples thoughts on BNGO and HTBX?

Did a bit of reading on on these:

BNGO:
    They are unprofitable, has negative revenue growth and a crazy. Cash position is better than I expected, small biotech firms are usually drowning in debt. Price to Sales of 500+, and price to book over 200. But rumours of ARK investing in it also the fact it is a Genome play, it could be in for a ride.

As for HTBX. They have a history of share offerings and reverse splits, as do many pharma companies. They currently have an ATM offering which I suspect will close soon. It hey also have a few cash to sit on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

BNGO:
    They are unprofitable, has negative revenue growth and a crazy. Cash position is better than I expected, small biotech firms are usually drowning in debt. Price to Sales of 500+, and price to book over 200. But rumours of ARK investing in it also the fact it is a Genome play, it could be in for a ride.

As for HTBX. They have a history of share offerings and reverse splits, as do many pharma companies. They currently have an ATM offering which I suspect will close soon. It hey also have a few cash to sit on.

Very nice chart on BNGO, 20 50 and 100day moving averages all on uptrends, it recently consolidated towards the 20day ma and shot up again, the safer entry point is wait for it to drop back towards it again, now isn't a bad entry either, however it did shoot up to 14 after hours on Fri, so could be gapped up again come the nyse open Tue. And as you said, fundamentals are largely useless for this stock, your investing on hype and momentum so adjust your risk accordingly. I've small positions in it and Crispr since mid Jan, I'm 70% up on bngo but 11% down on crispr, despite Crispr having the much better entry point, its a very volatile sector.

That's a nice big curve, if you got on at the bottom you're flying for some pretty swift returns. Interesting to see where this levels out.

Also, someone here mentioned Argo Blockchain. Give yourself a pat on the back, I think it has gained around £1 a share since that was mentioned.

circadian wrote: »
    That's a nice big curve, if you got on at the bottom you're flying for some pretty swift returns. Interesting to see where this levels out.

Also, someone here mentioned Argo Blockchain. Give yourself a pat on the back, I think it has gained around £1 a share since that was mentioned.

That'd be Rigolo's handywork. Currently up 1800% in 2 months since he mentioned it

US markets closed today.

Presidents day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

BNGO:

I got in on BNGO at 1.97 and 2.6. I don't think you can really read anything into their past numbers this is obviously all about saphyr. Even if it only does half of what it's meant to I think it has a long way to go. If it is the real deal you would imagine a takeover will happen at some point from one of the big guns. Wouldn't be the first time we saw something like this that turned out to be an absolute dud though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Argo flying since it closed in LSE - up to $2.50

Trading halted because of volatility

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Treppen

Cute Hoor wrote: »

Where are you seeing that. I'm seeing it ticking away on Yahoo finance.

ARB.L yes?

EDIT: I see it's the US ARBKF . So why the breakaway from London?

Anyone come across EV manufacturer Geely ? Own Volvo and backed by Tencent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,165 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Coupang IPO on NYSE announced on Friday, going to be all over that.
    A company that actually beat Amazon at their own game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Treppen wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that. I'm seeing it ticking away on Yahoo finance.

ARB.L yes?

EDIT: I see it's the US ARBKF . So why the breakaway from London?

I'm seeing it on IB Trader Workstation (ARB.L), but like you say on Yahoo Finance it appears to be trading away merrily, an IB issue I suspect.

Edit: Just after I posted it is back on track on IB Trader Workstation, are they watching here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Yeah, I'm in on this myself. A lot more popular in China than Nio currently.

At a good price point as well at the moment so I will be adding more tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pitrn

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Only Argo block chain available on Digero is from LSE and it's priced at 180£..

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

pitrn wrote: »
    Only Argo block chain available on Digero is from LSE and it's priced at 180£..

That's 180p as opposed to £180.

Yeah, I'm in on this myself. A lot more popular in China than Nio currently.

At a good price point as well at the moment so I will be adding more tomorrow

Would like a small punt, but alas degiro are looking for min 1000 lot buys!

Are you buying from Hong Kong market?

They have a decent portfolio, the own Lotus and Proton too. They've also resurrected the Volvo Polestar brand and the Polestar 2 released a year or two ago is apparently every bit as good as a Tesla with presumably better build quality given the facilities available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pitrn

Considering Apple going into EV sector and discussing their tieup / plans with Car manufacturers, what is the view of getting into Apple stock..

pitrn wrote: »
    Considering Apple going into EV sector and discussing their tieup / plans with Car manufacturers, what is the view of getting into Apple stock..

I can't see Apple genuinely going into car manufacturing. I think what is really happening is they are trying to get themselves into a dominant OS position as more and more vehicles will require increasingly complex Operating Systems, especially if self driving vehicles become the norm.

As far as I remember their self driving capabilities are lagging far behind competitors including Google, requiring driver intervention much more regularly.

That's not to say that Apple could be successful in this sector, but as far as making cars goes. I don't really see it, it doesn't fit their business model at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Geely is vailable in FRA. Well covered by analyst recently so I think price already reflects near future prospects. Happy to buy it around 2.3 current bid is 3.28.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

All-time highs for my portfolio today. I have a lot of UK exposure, which I started into when the pound was very weak so making some capital gains as well as currency gains if I decide to convert back to euro.

Thanks to the ARB tipsters, up 160% since getting into it in the midst of the gamestop stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

UK flying today, I just have the iShares Core FTSE 100 ETF which gives good exposure to the UK market. (Free to invest once every month with degiro)
    ftse 1000 at ~6700 which is still over a 1000 points off the ath of 7877 points, which was reached on 22 May 2018. The ftse is less tech based and has more Miners, healthcare, banking and Insurance compared to the likes of the S&P.
    I think this will do well over the next 18 months as brexit gets smoothed out

Advertisement