Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Berty wrote: »
    It opened today for age group 40-45 but those 40 can still register online today anyway(meant to have been Sunday), I did anyway. I expect those ages 41-45 will be ahead of me in appointments but at least you can register today for entire age cohort.

Just registered there now also and was supposed to wait until friday. At least we are in the queue now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

HSE briefing going on at the minute, Limerick has seen 733 cases over the last 14 days, the equivalent of 376 per 100,000 of population.. We are the highest incidence in the country... Next is Donegal with 201 per 100,000, Offaly with 172 per 100,000 and Dublin with 155 per 100,000 of population and the national one is 122 per 100,000

The main blame, it seems, lies with social gatherings, infected kids going to school and workplace outbreaks, one office of which had 50 close contacts. The exact LEA data is unavailable

Source https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0602/1225601-watch-covid-19-briefing-from-the-department-of-health/

The good news is we are vaccinating 1200 a day in the Raddisson

• Registered Users Posts: 25,090 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

HSE briefing going on at the minute, Limerick has seen 733 cases over the last 14 days, the equivalent of 376 per 100,000 of population.. We are the highest incidence in the country... Next is Donegal with 201 per 100,000, Offaly with 172 per 100,000 and Dublin with 155 per 100,000 of population and the national one is 122 per 100,000

The main blame, it seems, lies with social gatherings, infected kids going to school and workplace outbreaks, one office of which had 50 close contacts. The exact LEA data is unavailable

Source https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0602/1225601-watch-covid-19-briefing-from-the-department-of-health/

The good news is we are vaccinating 1200 a day in the Raddisson

I know it's not 100% accurate but are schools and large workplaces doing temperature checks every morning ?

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I know it's not 100% accurate but are schools and large workplaces doing temperature checks every morning ?

It's worse than that, it's completely useless because most kids are asymptomatic

Lidl do antigen testing for their workers before every shift, I'm sure other employers do too

It's worse than that, it's completely useless because most kids are asymptomatic

Lidl do antigen testing for their workers before every shift, I'm sure other employers do too

I was thinking of the teachers too but seeing as it's practically free and non intrusive why not check the kids seeing as you say it's "most" not all

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I was thinking of the teachers too but seeing as it's practically free and non intrusive why not check the kids seeing as you say it's "most" not all

Maybe for teachers yeah, but you would need to have a temperature over 37.8 and even then it could be explained by other methods... I usually go for a walk before I start work so when I get in the door my temperature can't be scanned because my head is too cold, instead my wrist gets scanned as a box-ticking exercise

But for kids - it boils down to the time spent scanning all the kids Vs what benefit it gives if they will mostly scan with OK temperatures but plenty could still slip through the cracks

Maybe for teachers yeah, but you would need to have a temperature over 37.8 and even then it could be explained by other methods... I usually go for a walk before I start work so when I get in the door my temperature can't be scanned because my head is too cold, instead my wrist gets scanned as a box-ticking exercise

But for kids - it boils down to the time spent scanning all the kids Vs what benefit it gives if they will mostly scan with OK temperatures but plenty could still slip through the cracks

I used to have problems after getting to work on cold mornings would have to wait til my head cooled down before starting work. If you were over 38oC it was a 10 min wait and if it still was over after that you couldn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

RTE reporting large number associated with a hairdressers and one school closed. But locals know alot of schools at least partiallly hit. The schools not a surpirise but hairdressers I hadnt heard before

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Why are Limerick school worse than other schools though? Surely if schools are the problem then it would be bad all over the country? At least the majority of secondary school students are finished now and primary will be finished in less than a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

frank8211 wrote: »
    RTE reporting large number associated with a hairdressers and one school closed. But locals know alot of schools at least partiallly hit. The schools not a surpirise but hairdressers I hadnt heard before

Wonder what hairdressers that was, must be one of the big ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

One case had 50 close contacts from a hairdressers? Is there any hairdresser that big? Bellisimo is the only one of that size

Wonder what hairdressers that was, must be one of the big ones.

Me too... Must have a walk around later and investigate where is closed and where is open

Newstalk were reporting on the radio that a localised lockdown for limerick isn't on the cards but it can't be ruled out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Mc Love wrote: »
    One case had 50 close contacts from a hairdressers? Is there any hairdresser that big? Bellisimo is the only one of that size

But how could that even lead to 50 contacts?
    How many staff and customers would be present at any one time?

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mc Love wrote: »
    Probably staff members were positive, so everyone working there and all customers over a few days would have been deemed close contacts.

Its not actually a surprising number when you think about it. The question is how many of those 50 tested positive?

Probably staff members were positive, so everyone working there and all customers over a few days would have been deemed close contacts.

Its not actually a surprising number when you think about it. The question is how many of those 50 tested positive?

If 2 staff were positive then over 5 days I assume they could easily have cut 50 heads.

There was a lot of nonsense talk from the hairdressers about there never being a case from one (and it was a line I heard repeated often from people justifying their illegal visits) but it was inevitable really as no industry is immune

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The case in school is Scoil Pol in Kilfinane, apparently caused by a house party.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The case in school is Scoil Pol in Kilfinane, apparently caused by a house party.

what about the rake of cases in St munchins and Gaelscoil Luimni

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

frank8211 wrote: »

what about the rake of cases in St munchins and Gaelscoil Luimni

St Munchins is closed a week at this stage for summer holidays and there was no outbreak there before hand

JFK is closed all week due to an outbreak

And the hairdressers is in the city centre and is called after a little ball game we all played in the 80's

mitresize5 wrote: »
    St Munchins is closed a week at this stage for summer holidays and there was no outbreak there before hand

And the hairdressers is in the city centre and is called after a little ball game we all played in the 80's

There were rumours that that school had loads of cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

If they try keep us at level 5 and let the rest relax from Monday there will be absolute rage.
    Why is the whole county being blamed for the City and Kilfinane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

FutureGuy wrote: »

Fine the Lot, Parents Too

If they try keep us at level 5 and let the rest relax from Monday there will be absolute rage.

I can't see that happening, it failed miserably back in September when they tried to keep the pubs in Dublin shut every jackeen spread their wings and flew to other counties infecting the lot of us! Also we're still getting drops in hospital numbers thanks to our vaccine program so logic would say we should be fine

In saying that the logic of this govt is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result so realistically everything is up for grabs
    mitresize5 wrote: »

Nice clue, I nearly lost my marbles trying to think of a hair salon with that description but i think I got it in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Fine the Lot, Parents Too

Totally agreed but it ain't gonna happen...

Nice clue, I nearly lost my marbles displaced my dobbers trying to think of a hair salon with that description but i think I got it in the end

FYP (nice & subtle!)

FYP (nice & subtle!)

Ok now I'm completely lost

Ok now I'm completely lost

I thought that dobbers was slang for marbles in these parts? Or at least was back in the 90s when I first started visiting Limerick on a regular basis?

I thought that dobbers was slang for marbles in these parts? Or at least was back in the 90s when I first started visiting Limerick on a regular basis?

News to me but I think I'm back on track

• Advertisement

There will be no local lockdown because Clare and Tipp are low. The keep mentioning all 3 together and I bet if the 3 were high there would be a mid west lockdown but if they just do Limerick the city will clear out to west Clare and the east of the county would jump the border for pints

Advertisement