Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster vs Northampton match thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

The ref didn't see a contact with the head, that's why he awarded nothing.

How do you know he didn't see it? He referenced the attempted wrap which in the footage is the arm that hits VDF in the face. If he sees an attempt to wrap he seen the contact with the player he's attempting to grab. There's also no way he's missed VDF recoiling holding his face or Byrne shouting and pointing about VDF getting hit in the face and is somehow oblivious to the fact there was head contact.

Unless we're dealing with the most clueless ref that ever set foot on a pitch he was aware of the head contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    How do you know he didn't see it? He referenced the attempted wrap which in the footage is the arm that hits VDF in the face. If he sees an attempt to wrap he seen the contact with the player he's attempting to grab. There's also no way he's missed VDF recoiling holding his face or Byrne shouting and pointing about VDF getting hit in the face and is somehow oblivious to the fact there was head contact.

Unless we're dealing with the most clueless ref that ever set foot on a pitch he was aware of the head contact.

He called it a "good cleanout". You can't make contact with the head. Attempting to wrap doesn't excuse contact with the head.

If he saw the contact with the head and still thinks it's a good cleanout, then he definitely is the most clueless ref ever. His only excuse for not even awarding a penalty is that he saw it wrong.

He called it a "good cleanout". You can't make contact with the head. Attempting to wrap doesn't excuse contact with the head.

If he saw the contact with the head and still thinks it's a good cleanout, then he definitely is the most clueless ref ever. His only excuse for not even awarding a penalty is that he saw it wrong.

BOD and Hartley in the commentary clearly see the head contact yet still say its a good clean out as he can't get any lower and can't avoid the head. BOD says it's the only target he left for Wood so how can Wood avoid hitting it. Its a similar view with Quinlan and others. Clear head contact but can't be avoided, **** happens, Wood did everything right etc etc.

I just don't see how the ref is the only person on the planet who can't see head contact while getting a close enough look to determine Wood wrapped in the clear out while VDF goes flying holding his face.

I think he sees it as BOD does. Attempted wrap, inadvertently hits the face but its a "rugby incident" not foul play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Are people still trying to justify what happened to VDF yesterday and the end result were okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

BOD and Hartley in the commentary clearly see the head contact yet still say its a good clean out as he can't get any lower and can't avoid the head. BOD says it's the only target he left for Wood so how can Wood avoid hitting it. Its a similar view with Quinlan and others. Clear head contact but can't be avoided, **** happens, Wood did everything right etc etc.

I just don't see how the ref is the only person on the planet who can't see head contact while getting a close enough look to determine Wood wrapped in the clear out while VDF goes flying holding his face.

I think he sees it as BOD does. Attempted wrap, inadvertently hits the face but its a "rugby incident" not foul play.

If the only thing left for Wood to hit is the head, then he shouldn't make the hit. That's the bottom line.

I'm not sure it matters what BOD thinks. He never played a game of rugby under the current rules.

I'm genuinely amused that Dylan Hartley and Alan Quinlan, two of the dirtiest players of the last 20 years, are being held up as good judges of what constitutes foul play.

So long as the game tolerates this sort of dangerous hit, then it's opening itself up to more and more liability down the road.

I'd be shocked if Wood isn't cited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If the only thing left for Wood to hit is the head, then he shouldn't make the hit. That's the bottom line.

That’s it a nutshell.

Dr Bennet Omalu - the Medic credited with discovering CTE - was on Newstalk a few years ago and talked about how (in his opinion) rugby was inevitably going to have the same concussion issues as American Football. It looks like it’s here in a big way now. He also talked about the impact it was having on underage participation in the US, and how inevitably that would happen here with rugby too. Failure to punish incidents like yesterday’s will inevitably speed up that process.

The problem with many ex-players as pundits is they don’t appreciate how much the game has evolved and moved on - this is true of many sports, not just rugby. The comments mentioned are reflective of that., sadly.

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Are people still trying to justify what happened to VDF yesterday and the end result were okay?

From reading the thread it certainly appears so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Of course if the laws surrounding shoulders not dipping below hips were employed more strictly, situations like this would happen less often.

What law is this? The only time I have ever heard of shoulders below hips being penalised, is in the scrum. Is it illegal in rucks too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    What law is this? The only time I have ever heard of shoulders below hips being penalised, is in the scrum. Is it illegal in rucks too?

https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=15
    FORMING A RUCK

A ruck can take place only in the field of play.
    A ruck is formed when at least one player from each team are in contact, on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground.
    Players involved in all stages of the ruck must have their heads and shoulders no lower than their hips. Sanction: Free-kick.

i get why people feel the need to defend refs, they get a hard rub of it and it’s not an easy job, especially at pro level.

but yer man has clearly ****ed that decision. not everything has to be defended with paragraphs and paragraphs of ifs and buts. he has ****ed that call.

I'm not trying to defend the ref tbh. He made a couple of errors in the game that I'm more than happy to call (and did in earlier in the thread in relation to a turnover which Feris also thought was fine) - it's more that there has been a degree of dissent on the issue from informed commentators that makes me inclined to be cautious.

I thought it was a clear cut yellow with scope for red. I still think that - I'm just open to the possibility that I'm wrong for some reason outside of my window of perspective!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I'm not trying to defend the ref tbh. He made a couple of errors in the game that I'm more than happy to call (and did in earlier in the thread in relation to a turnover which Feris also thought was fine) - it's more that there has been a degree of dissent on the issue from informed commentators that makes me inclined to be cautious.

I thought it was a clear cut yellow with scope for red. I still think that - I'm just open to the possibility that I'm wrong for some reason outside of my window of perspective!

The only mitigation that can be offered would be if VDF moved in the last fraction of a Second. He didn't. It was direct contact to the head. The lack of mitigation means its not possible to drop from Red to Yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=15
    FORMING A RUCK

A ruck can take place only in the field of play.
    A ruck is formed when at least one player from each team are in contact, on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground.
    Players involved in all stages of the ruck must have their heads and shoulders no lower than their hips. Sanction: Free-kick.

What about jackling after the tackle? Are the shoulders allowed to be below the hips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What about jackling after the tackle? Are the shoulders allowed to be below the hips?

No. Very rarely enforced however

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Yes because the jackal takes place before the ruck is formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

What is your basis for saying jackaling is illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

It's a mistake that a ref thought a shoulder to the head wasn't foul play?
    No-one said that.

No-one said that.

Yes they did. They even answered that post with "yes its a mistake"...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You’ll need to show me your credentials for interpreting the rules.

From reading the thread it certainly appears so.

If that wasn’t a red card I’m done with this sport, Wood has to be cited and get a decent ban.

Yes they did. They even answered that post with "yes its a mistake"...

I think you are intent on arguing rather than trying to understand where people are coming from. If you are an expert, you are wasting your time on the internet. The game needs more coaches, refs and an assessors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What is your basis for saying jackaling is illegal?

Sorry, you're right that ONLY jackaling with your head below your hips is legal. And if no ruck comes out of that situation then of course it is because the law only applies to rucks.

However, the question is about the law for rucks. In theory, if you're jackaling with your head below your hips and a ruck is formed on you (which almost always is exactly what happens), you are illegal and it should be a penalty against you. I've never seen that given at any level, I think its pretty much unenforceable. They could really do with reviewing/rewording that law.

Under the law trials in 2017 jackaling with your head below your hips WAS actually illegal (I think? Can't remember if they kept that clause during that trial, I think they did), became inadvertently so when a single player was needed to form a ruck. It wasn't even pinged then. So its a dead letter law.

I think you are intent on arguing rather than trying to understand where people are coming from. If you are an expert, you are wasting your time on the internet. The game needs more coaches, refs and an assessors.

A poster literally said that, I asked them if that's what they meant and they said yes. Now you're here contradicting them on what they said, getting personal with me saying "if you're such an expert then go be a ref" and then accusing me of being the one that just wants to argue...

BOD still can’t admit he was wrong about the VDF hit...

No need to modify anything BOD, just don’t try take someone’s head off at a ruck just because you were late.

Apparently it should be brought down to a yellow because here was no target...**** me on a stick...

No need to modify anything BOD, just don’t try take someone’s head off at a ruck just because you were late.

Apparently it should be brought down to a yellow because here was no target...**** me on a stick...

BOD needs to go for a HIA.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    BOD needs to go for a HIA.

We seem to have found a loophole around getting a red for a shot to the head. Just claim there was no target.

BOD still can’t admit he was wrong about the VDF hit...

Any link?

I’m watching it live on BT sport right now in their highlight show, hopefully it will pop up later.

I’m watching it live on BT sport right now in their highlight show, hopefully it will pop up later.

Thought Eoin Reddan spoke very well yesterday and even Jim Hamilton called it red and tom wood is a friend of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Sorry, you're right that ONLY jackaling with your head below your hips is legal. And if no ruck comes out of that situation then of course it is because the law only applies to rucks.

However, the question is about the law for rucks. In theory, if you're jackaling with your head below your hips and a ruck is formed on you (which almost always is exactly what happens), you are illegal and it should be a penalty against you. I've never seen that given at any level, I think its pretty much unenforceable. They could really do with reviewing/rewording that law.

Under the law trials in 2017 jackaling with your head below your hips WAS actually illegal (I think? Can't remember if they kept that clause during that trial, I think they did), became inadvertently so when a single player was needed to form a ruck. It wasn't even pinged then. So its a dead letter law.

Nothing will change unless they make it illegal to jackal. Anything that leads to hands in the ruck creates dangerous circumstances nowadays. Ballistic clearouts, twisting and rolling, impacts on the head. Refs are useless most of the time, because there's just too much occuring to adjudicate effectively

Has the citing window passed?

48 hours IIRC. Expect a statement around 5pm tmrw if there is a citing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

50 hours from the start of kickoff, to be exact

A poster literally said that, I asked them if that's what they meant and they said yes. Now you're here contradicting them on what they said, getting personal with me saying "if you're such an expert then go be a ref" and then accusing me of being the one that just wants to argue...

People can misunderstand each other. You're coming across a bit argumentative in your posts that you just want to win rather than explore the issues.

The bottom line is for that Ref yesterday to get to that match yesterday, he has to be at a certain level that requires a lot of work and skill that not many make. Did he make a mistake? We nearly all think so. Did the pundits on the game make similar mistakes, a lot of them possibly did. So much experience and expertise making a mistake -- so let's explore the issues and try to respect each other along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Teams can refer incidents within 26 hours of the kickoff to the citing commisioner who has 50 hours from the kickoff time to make a decision but its never until monday/tuesday that you here if anyone actually has to go to discipline meeting

• Advertisement

People can misunderstand each other. You're coming across a bit argumentative in your posts that you just want to win rather than explore the issues.

The bottom line is for that Ref yesterday to get to that match yesterday, he has to be at a certain level that requires a lot of work and skill that not many make. Did he make a mistake? We nearly all think so. Did the pundits on the game make similar mistakes, a lot of them possibly did. So much experience and expertise making a mistake -- so let's explore the issues and try to respect each other along the way.

Again to restate what has happened here. You contradicted me on what another poster said and when I explained they said exactly what I had quoted you got personal with me saying if I'm such an expert I should go be a ref.

I'm not the argumentative person here trying to dismiss other people. You are. So stop with the taking the high road and let's all be respectful crap. I never said anything personal or disrespectful to you.

Again to restate what has happened here. You contradicted me on what another poster said and when I explained they said exactly what I had quoted you got personal with me saying if I'm such an expert I should go be a ref.

I'm not the argumentative person here trying to dismiss other people. You are. So stop with the taking the high road and let's all be respectful crap. I never said anything personal or disrespectful to you.

Fair enough. If you want me to reword any posts, I'll do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

199jlb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

A strange coincidence, but was watching some highlights on YT when a suggested video popped up 'Cian Healy, Rugby's Biggest Thugs'. Whether he qualifies for that is a different story, but in the video is the incident against Exeter where he gets a red card for a hit to the face.
    https://youtu.be/CBTSQHw64to?t=44

That was a few years back, before all this talk of increased player welfare, safety, etc. In my opinion, if it was red then, it was red now. Yes, there were other areas of the body he could have used to clean out the opposition player but I don't see how 'the only place he could hit him was the face' argument stands up.
    Are we going to start allow boots on faces in rucks because there is nowhere else to stand? Are we going to allow hands to faces and eyes because there is nowhere else to grab? Are we going to allow tackles in the air because that was the only time a tackle could be made? Yes, some of these are extreme, but they all fall into the category of 'if your only option is illegal, then don't do it'.

Any update on any citing?

• Advertisement

Listening to all the discussions about the Tom Wood hit im shock and genuinly quite worried how its still even a discussion, its the clearest definition of a red that you'll see on a rugby field, even those debating it are really reaching when trying to find an excuse...

We're 50 hours from kickoff now (well, 8 mins away) so presuming no citing. I can't really believe that but there we are.

We're 50 hours from kickoff now (well, 8 mins away) so presuming no citing. I can't really believe that but there we are.

Likewise, astonished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'm really really disappointed in this.

Just last week I was defending rugby to some of my non-rugby fan friends in the wake of the Steve Thompson story etc. My argument being, things have changed these days and matured. I cited how POC wouldn't get away with kicking Dave Kearney in the head for example.

But, if we were having the discussion this week, I'd have nothing. No doubt it was an accident, no doubt Tom Wood is a decent guy. But his shoulder hit the head with force. It needs to be punished so that everyone always makes maximal effort to protect every player from brain injury.

Part of me wishes it didn't happen in a Leinster game too, as then I wouldn't have the potential bias of it happening to "one of my own".

Doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Could be this evening or tomorrow before a press release is issued

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Because they don't announce it within 50 hours doesn't mean they haven't cited him within 50 hours.

The EPC didn't publish citings from Round 1 until lunch time on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I thought Wood did a text book clear out but he should be cited because this is the world we operate in now, you just can't make contact with the head area. Vdf should be annoyed because he should have had his head down jackling that ball first thing I was taught as a 7 was never look up when on the ball...your gonna be targeted by the cleaners... Also people must consider wood had alot of bodies and legs in his way and that effects the height at clear out. If those legs aren't there he can get closer to the ruck and lower his body height. He would have had to dive into the ruck to lower his height from my recollection of the event.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    I thought Wood did a text book clear out but he should be cited because this is the world we operate in now, you just can't make contact with the head area. Vdf should be annoyed because he should have had his head down jackling that ball first thing I was taught as a 7 was never look up when on the ball...your gonna be targeted by the cleaners... Also people must consider wood had alot of bodies and legs in his way and that effects the height at clear out. If those legs aren't there he can get closer to the ruck and lower his body height. He would have had to dive into the ruck to lower his height from my recollection of the event.

It can’t be a text book clear out and make contact with the head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

VDF had his head up because he was talking to the ref checking he was allowed make the Jackal.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

More blaming VDF. Nice

• Advertisement
Advertisement