Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Winter 2020/Spring 2021

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Energy totally gone from that Dungarvan storm. Here in Waterford City we just had a heavy rain shower. We need the sun out again to get that instability going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

pad199207 wrote: »
    Constant thunder in Kildare now with one flash seen

Nothing where I am in Kildare....?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Fairly bucketing down here in cork city for the last 10 mins. No sign of T/L here yet unfortunately

Thunder near Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

yea just had mad hail thunder lightning shower in Navan 20 mins ago. The place went sooo dark just before! Blue skies and full sun now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Active storm just south of Kilkenny now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very tame so far here in Dublin 16 with just a sprinkle of rain. Hoping little developing cell near Maynooth has my name on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This morning's ECM had the thunderstorm coverage very accurate, as shown by the K-Index. In general, values of 20-25 imply isolated thunderstorms while 26-30 imply more widely scattered. Some peak values of 26 in there, roughly corresponding with where the lightning is.

553453.png

Quite active west of Arklow,can hear it and see it,suns out here but is it closing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gamma Flash

That dungarvan one hardly anything of it showed up on BlitzortungLive or lightning alarm until CGs started coming down near us and then not all, noticed over last while that not as effective compared to last summer, luckily had abandoned work for the cars by time close ones hit ��⚡️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Very tame so far here in Dublin 16 with just a sprinkle of rain. Hoping little developing cell near Maynooth has my name on it!

Been looking at that. I think it's more for us in D15 coming up the M4 corridor than for D16!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Been looking at that. I think it's more for us in D15 coming up the M4 corridor than for D16!

No doubt! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

They are the detector locations and the lines show which detectors are picking up (and triangulating) the strike location.
    Thanks. Just noticed that there's a button to display them which I must have unknowingly toggled 'on' :o

A lot of rumbling still west of Arklow
    Suns out here SE wind feeding into the storm
    Convergence

Heres the storm near Arklow,quite loud,must be very loud underneath it
    We can see lots of lightning
    Its somewhere between Aughrim and Avoca Rathdrum Somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Thunder just heard in North Kildare, from a cell southwest of Trim, Meath.

A nice crackle of thunder just to my south there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Clap of thunder in Dublin 22 just there.

I think I hear distant thunder to my west in Dublin 16. Very dark to my west and looks like that shower might go to the south of me.

• Advertisement

I think I hear distant thunder to my west in Dublin 16. Very dark to my west and looks like that shower might go to the south of me.

Incoming...

Incoming...

All I am hearing at the moment is FR7156 to Madrid! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Purple grey clouds to my north towards Thomastown/Knocktopher area.

Nice blue sky to my south ..

im in South kilkenny.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Think I heard a very distant rumble in D24.. just had torrential rain and hail, brightened up a bit, now going dark again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Further thunder and torrential rain in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Absolutely chucking it down in Naas. Hailstones

pad199207 wrote: »
    Further thunder and torrential rain in Kildare now

I think Naas has to be the thunder capital of Ireland!

Just some light rain in Dublin 16 atm. Thought I heard another distant rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Big rumble there to the south of cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thunder and lightning at Dunboyne, precip increasing in intensity now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

amor3 wrote: »
    Think I heard a very distant rumble in D24.. just had torrential rain and hail, brightened up a bit, now going dark again!

Same, am I being too optimistic in seeing the maynooth and Naas cells combining on the radar? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement