Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Channels removed from Sky's EPG today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bronkobilly

more may follow in the coming weeks/months after brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

icdg wrote: »
    None of the channels concerned were part of a Sky package, were they? (Clue: they wouldn’t have been removed if they were). In other words, you weren’t paying for them in the first place, so why would Sky compensate you for their removal. This is just as much a hit for Sky as for you; they are losing the payment for an EPG listing in Ireland that these channels were paying. They are no longer licensed here as of 1st January 2021 and Sky can no longer give them a listing on its EPG.

Were they not part of the music and kids package or general package?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Vic_08 take a 48 hour ban, straight without warning, for accusing me of being a shill for Sky. I’ve been a mod on this forum for 19 years long before there was a “Sky Ireland”, when their entire operation here was run directly from the U.K. and it cost IR£450 just for the equipment for a service which didn’t include any terrestrial channels and the EPG started at 106. I don’t work in the pay TV industry at all. Any reading of my past posts will show I’m well able to criticise Sky and heavily when they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Just wondering ....... is there a published list of the Sky exclusive channels for their most basic subscription?

I am not a Sky customer so this is just out of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BrennyJPM

When querying this with Sky Ireland Help on Twitter, they responded by say that I could still manually tune in missing stations, is it OK to ask where to find a list of the frequencies of radio channels, particularly looking for Talksport Radio, Google search showed up nothing. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

My elderly neighbour rang me two days ago asking if I could still get the radio channels on Sky. She was raging as she was never informed of such changes. I actually cancelled mine in Sept as I was moving house, but did use this service up until then. Bad form not even to alert consumers imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

A very helpful change that Sky could make to its service is to allow us to record non-epg channels, ie: those we save in ‘other channels’.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

If your in subscription they should allow that alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

If they ever encrypt Freesat, it'll be a tad annoying.
    Some of the continental equivalent "FTA" packages have been encrypted for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

A very helpful change that Sky could make to its service is to allow us to record non-epg channels, ie: those we save in ‘other channels’.

I don't think they'll ever allow us to RECORD them but allowing us to save them as "Favourites" on the Sky Q boxes would be SO much handier.

I don't think they'll ever allow us to RECORD them but allowing us to save them as "Favourites" on the Sky Q boxes would be SO much handier.

I don’t see why not. If we can watch them, we should be able to record them.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭decor58

AutoTuning wrote: »
    If they ever encrypt Freesat, it'll be a tad annoying.
    Some of the continental equivalent "FTA" packages have been encrypted for years.

Been using FTA for about 18 years, at the time BBC was the only one of the main channels that was unencrypted, as the contracts with Sky came up for renewal the others choose the FTA option and then came Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

I have four sky drx595 box's with unsubscribed UK sky cards and still got the channels

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

LenWoods wrote: »
    I have four sky drx595 box's with unsubscribed UK sky cards and still got the channels

They were removed from Irish EPG only...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

All the channels are still broadcasting.
    None have been removed.

Sky has removed them from its Irish EPG listing, and thus they are not (easily) available on a Sky box.

https://youtu.be/wTP2RUD_cL0

If it ain't working, that's the way you do it,
    Log on to eBay UK and purchase an unsubscribed card for the UK sky TV .

Restore all lost channels for nothing including clubland TV.

Also available from adverts and sat planet
    http://sat-planet.ie/FREESAT-VIEWING-CARD?search=Viewing card

My newly extended list on 'Other Channels' on my Sky Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I will have to remove channels as I am running out of space in other channels. I might add the music channels but it is a lot of work to change the channel when a song I don't like comes on. I don't watch the box channels now because it is just work to switch between them. Will we loose any more channels?

Will we loose any more channels?

Tune in next week to find out lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

My newly extended list on 'Other Channels' on my Sky Box.

How do I add these on my Sky Q box?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Bring back the card trick!
    Actually, I must check it again as I haven't tried in a while.

Tune in next week to find out lol

There’s an EPG freeze over Christmas which is why this removal took place so early - don’t expect any further changes until the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I listened to Classic FM radio a lot and NOW 70s and 80s music channel a lot, all gone now . Seriously considering getting rid of my SKY altogether.

If those stations were your only reasons for getting Sky then you were getting seriously bad value for your sub. Get a free to air satellite receiver. Smart speakers are available for as little as €25 (have a look out for sales) and you can listen to radio from around the world.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    How do I add these on my Sky Q box?

The frequencies are all here: https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

LuasSimon wrote: »
    I listened to Classic FM radio a lot and NOW 70s and 80s music channel a lot, all gone now . Seriously considering getting rid of my SKY altogether.

They are all free to air channels. No need to pay for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Does anyone know if more channels will be removed when the no deal Brexit is confirmed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does anyone know if more channels will be removed when the no deal Brexit is confirmed.

This has nothing to do with no deal (or a deal for that matter); the UK is not looking for and hence not going to get a deal that includes cross-licencing of TV channels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

Any deal is likely to be very barebones stuff. It’s not likely to include many of the niceties of the EU. They’re still leaving the majority of the cooperative aspects of Europe.

Advertisement