Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Channels removed from Sky's EPG today

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We might leave the generalities of Brexit to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

The UK is not planning to leave the European Convention on Transfrontier Television 1989, which is Council of Europe, not EU. This covered 20 signatory EU countries and quite a few others but DOES NOT INCLUDE IRELAND. We neither ratified nor signed it, at least according to the online documents on the COE website.

https://www.coe.int/en/web/conventions/full-list/-/conventions/treaty/132

They will, however, be ditching the Audiovisual Media Services Directive (AVMSD)

Fairly good guidance on the British position:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/broadcasting-and-video-on-demand-from-1-january-2021

It's actually possible that our failure to sign and ratify the ECTT may mean issues for reception of UK TV here, rather than Brexit per se. That one is very much on us, either as an oversight or a deliberate decision. I'm not sure why we'd have decided not to ratify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Can i ask will this affect channels received through freesat?

Ive cancelled sky and going the freesat route in january.

They're just gone from the privately owned Sky Ireland EPG, not the satellite where they're free-to-air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Infoanon

deise08 wrote: »
    Wow!! Only 5 music channels left.
    That's a lot of radio gone too.

UCB Ireland is to close in the first week of January so another radio station gone and 2 discoveries to close as well.

• Advertisement

Some of those channels, whether they're free to air or not, add a lot of value to Sky. Others you wouldn't miss AT ALL and I'd wonder how they're even afloat anymore.

However, if there's a significant loss of channels, people will probably start leaving Sky.

Also I'd love to know what the details around why we didn't sign up to the ECTT. Was it something to do with not wanting to regulate cable re-transmission or what? I note Belgium was similar and would have a similar history with content being carried on cable in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

LuasSimon wrote: »
    I listened to Classic FM radio a lot and NOW 70s and 80s music channel a lot, all gone now . Seriously considering getting rid of my SKY altogether.
    icdg wrote: »
    If those stations were your only reasons for getting Sky then you were getting seriously bad value for your sub. Get a free to air satellite receiver. Smart speakers are available for as little as €25 (have a look out for sales) and you can listen to radio from around the world.

An Amazon Alexa is the best value smart speaker, listen to any radio station by just asking for it,

also add a hive heating controller to et temperature in your home,

i bought my mother whom lives alone an Amazon echo plus 2nd Gen
    around two years ago and she loves it, added her to my Spotify family account too,
    so it plays all radio stations and any song on request, also works with smart sockets, so if she says "Alexa its getting dark outside" then alexa will say "it surly is Pauline the evenings are getting shorter by the day" and it switches on a lam in the living room as well as the electric fire,

if she says "Alexa Goodnight" it switches off all sockets and tells her a random story followed by the option of rain sound effects or storm,

she has an Amazon Dot in the sitting room and bedroom aswell as an echo in the kitchen,

small investment for alot of company,
    tells her what hours the local shops are open and the local weather too, shes 71 this year and cant use a computer atall but alexa is just voice with a world of information,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Theres a dedicated forum elsewhere on Boards to discuss all the home automation stuff - I think at this point it’s suffice to say that there are much cheaper alternatives for listening to U.K. radio than an expensive Sky subscription and a smart speaker is just one of them

icdg wrote: »
    Theres a dedicated forum elsewhere on Boards to discuss all the home automation stuff - I think at this point it’s suffice to say that there are much cheaper alternatives for listening to U.K. radio than an expensive Sky subscription and a smart speaker is just one of them

+1
    I apologize for the lengthy off-topic post which I submitted above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

For anyone looking to add the missing channels back to their Sky box, I have a sticky thread HERE which gives you the latest frequencies along with a guide on how to add them to your particular Sky receiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Captain Lugger

I have had a Freesat box for a number of years now. Really couldn't be bothered with all the limitations on the Sky EPG in the Republic, even in FTA mode. If I want to pay for anything extra then Prime etc is the way I go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fade Into You

I had the same issue with sky on my sky dish. The EPG was a bit of a mess, but the box was so big it was not possible to get it to work properly.

I think I will give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Don't think I'll miss any of the channels but the other channel on sky q is such a pain in the arse I don't bother with it anyway unless there's something really specific on ITV or something for a one off. Think I went in to the other channels once last year. Having to go through the menu, in to settings, enter the pin etc , I just don't bother.

Not being able to remove the pin altogether is another pain in the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Don't think I'll miss any of the channels but the other channel on sky q is such a pain in the arse I don't bother with it anyway unless there's something really specific on ITV or something for a one off. Think I went in to the other channels once last year. Having to go through the menu, in to settings, enter the pin etc , I just don't bother.

Not being able to remove the pin altogether is another pain in the arse.

That’s one of the reasons why I haven’t switched to Sky Q. If I did switch, I would certainly be getting a separate Freesat box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bronkobilly

That’s one of the reasons why I haven’t switched to Sky Q. If I did switch, I would certainly be getting a separate Freesat box.

FREESAT ALL THE WAY

FREESAT ALL THE WAY
    +1
    Hybrid LNB and freesat
    link to LNB: https://www.freetv.ie/sky-q-hybrid-lnb/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Still waiting for my refund...

The channels haven’t gone away you know! Just not on the epg. They can still be viewed or listened to via Other Channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Widescreen

You can store them but you are limited to 50 and most people probably have a lot stored already so space is limited, so not the complete solution to have every missing channel stored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Another 3 channels close this coming Thursday (14th) on Sky Ireland only

585 LoveWorld HD
    673 Hochanda
    787 Ahlubayt TV

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/What-s-On/Changes-to-the-Sky-TV-guide-January-2021/td-p/3551634

Another 3 channels close this coming Thursday (14th) on Sky Ireland only

585 LoveWorld HD
    673 Hochanda
    787 Ahlubayt TV

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/What-s-On/Changes-to-the-Sky-TV-guide-January-2021/td-p/3551634

who would miss them channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

I wasn’t even aware of their existence. I’d say I’m unaware of probably 30% of the channels on the Sky EPG. Some are extremely obscure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

LenWoods wrote: »
    +1
    Hybrid LNB and freesat
    link to LNB: https://www.freetv.ie/sky-q-hybrid-lnb/

Is it possible to switch one of these in for the Sky Q LNB that I already have or does it need an engineer to call out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is it possible to switch one of these in for the Sky Q LNB that I already have or does it need an engineer to call out?

If you can access the dish it's fairly straightforward to replace them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Essentially it's a straight swap if you can safely access the dish. Just be very careful not to move the dish itself. Even a few MM can make a difference.

Forces Tv removed from the Sky epg.I will miss that one as it had a lot of great comedies on it from the 70s and 80s!

11.837H SR 37500 FEC 5/6 DVBS QPSK

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Forces Tv removed from the Sly epg.I will miss that one as it had a lot of great comedies on it from the 70s and 80s!

on free to air still sly is going down hill with all there channel changes

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

Forces Tv removed from the Sly epg.I will miss that one as it had a lot of great comedies on it from the 70s and 80s!

Shame I used to record those old comedies espically the ones I hadn't seen in a while. Will still watch via Other Channels but not as handy at all and no recording of course.

2 channels left Sky's ROI EPG today

181 Forces TV - 11836 H 27500 5/6
    0211 BFBS Radio - 11582 H 22000 5/6

That only leaves 8 Radio stations, RTÉ (4), Newstalk and 3 others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

2 channels left Sky's ROI EPG today

181 Forces TV - 11836 H 27500 5/6
    0211 BFBS Radio - 11582 H 22000 5/6

That only leaves 8 Radio stations, RTÉ (4), Newstalk and 3 others

Just out of curiosity, are all or some of the channels that have been removed from the Sky Ireland epg, still on the epg on Virgin Media , eir tv or Vodafone TV, or were they on those epg's to start with ?

• Advertisement

galtee boy wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, are all or some of the channels that have been removed from the Sky Ireland epg, still on the epg on Virgin Media , eir tv or Vodafone TV, or were they on those epg's to start with ?

All the channels that have been removed so far are Free-to-air on Sky/Satellite and none of them have been on the Virgin Media EPG here and as far as I know haven't been on Vodafone or eir either

Advertisement