Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channels removed from Sky's EPG today

Options
  • 14-12-2020 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Trace Xmas 364
    Trace Vault 365
    NOW 70s 368
    NOW XMAS 371
    NOW 80s 372
    Clubland TV 373

CGTN HD 509
    RT HD 511
    RT 879
    CGTN 891

JML Direct 661
    Cruise1st.tv 688

AAJ TAK 710
    British Muslim 752

Classic FM 0106
    Absolute 0107
    talkSPORT 0108
    Capital 0109
    Planet Rock 0110
    Heart 0111
    Heart 80s 0112
    Radio X 0113
    Capital XTRA 0114
    Gold 0121
    WRN Europe 0122
    LBC 0124
    Smooth 0128
    TWR 0138
    Heart Dance 0146
    Sukh Sagar 0150
    Desi Radio 0169
    Kiss 0178
    Magic 0180
    Hits Radio 0188
    Absolute 80s 0200
    Absolute 90s 0201
    Jazz FM 0202
    Classic Rock 0203
    Virgin Radio 0215
    Scala Radio 0216
    Heart 90s 0217
    LBC News 0221

No doubt it's Brexit releated

And without doubt Sky will be rising their prices soon enough

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What’s the story with sky music and sky radio channels? I seem to have lost a lot of the channels from sky Q package.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Thought it might be temporary with all the updates added today... Hopefully they come back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Wow!! Only 5 music channels left.
    That's a lot of radio gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

What’s the story with sky music and sky radio channels? I seem to have lost a lot of the channels from sky Q package.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058141118

deise08 wrote: »

Sorry started a thread on this also. Does anyone know what’s happened???

• Advertisement

Turns out it's due to licensing issues caused by brexit

smurf492 wrote: »
    Turns out it's due to licensing issues caused by brexit

Jesus that’s really disappointing.

Definitely should have been rolled out better... Adding amazon prime and a bunch of new hdr content was probably to soften the blow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Freesat for the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I take it they were only removed from the ROI EPG?

• Advertisement

I take it they were only removed from the ROI EPG?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Related, presumably Virgin media suffer likewise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Related, presumably Virgin media suffer likewise

None of the channels removed from Sky Ireland today are on the Virgin Media Ireland EPG, so no change to their service

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭mike2084

Confirmed by Sky here:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/What-s-On/Changes-to-the-Sky-TV-guide-December-2020/m-p/3543472/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufEtJT1IyMk8xUlNaWFRPfDM1NDM0NzJ8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M112488

I had guessed this would happen - just glad it wasn't more channels. I presume that it had to be done today for Jan 1st as the EPG is locked down over Christmas.

Of course any FTA can be still added to Other Channels.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged.

Actually surprised it wasn’t more to be honest but it’s an extra regulatory burden for some channels operating on a small budget - before a U.K. license would have done for Ireland also thanks to the EU AV Directive and now it doesn’t, so every broadcaster on the Irish EPG has had to take out a license elsewhere in the EU (most have I understand gone to the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, or Bavaria - Ireland isn’t really an option due to our heavy touch regulatory regime).

And yes, nothing can block a FTA signal.

If you have a smart speaker as a growing number of people do these days you should be able to listen to most U.K. radio stations through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I think those channels are all Free to Air.

All available on the Saorview Combo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I assume the notice about the reduced price of Irish subscriptions is in the post then.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,122 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

deise08 wrote: »

Yes many music channels gone :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Talksport there is the only one that might ever come back I'd expect - there already is a Talksport Ireland with Irish opt-outs (Irish punditry for football) and Irish ad substitution online; so an Irish version on satellite is not out of the question.

The rest are likely never to be seen again except if you add them to Other Channels.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    I assume the notice about the reduced price of Irish subscriptions is in the post then.

None of the channels concerned were part of a Sky package, were they? (Clue: they wouldn’t have been removed if they were). In other words, you weren’t paying for them in the first place, so why would Sky compensate you for their removal. This is just as much a hit for Sky as for you; they are losing the payment for an EPG listing in Ireland that these channels were paying. They are no longer licensed here as of 1st January 2021 and Sky can no longer give them a listing on its EPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I noticed this mon morning when I tried Planet Rock. When I checked the Radio page there was only one page rather than the usual two/three.

It's always been strange with Planet Rock. Can't install their android app cos it's only available in the UK. Can't listen through website cos I'm not in the UK (just put in my old Derry postcode and it works). But Sky were always great that it just worked.

Is there any way to add radio channels to Other Channels? First gen Sky+ box here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Yes there is. See my sticky thread for the walk through and also tuning details for the most popular channels/radio stations - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

Tuning details for Planet Rock are -

H
    5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Just wondering how come all those shopping, religious or international channels haven't been pulled as well? All of them are aiming for specific UK audiences.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GIMP wrote: »
    Just wondering how come all those shopping, religious or international channels haven't been pulled as well? All of them are aiming for specific UK audiences.

The international and religious channels often have European licences already as they're on multiple platforms. Shopping stuff could go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I just checked and most/all of the radio channels are still available when using Enigma2 in radio mode. However, only those channels that are on Freesat appear to be getting an EPG. This is despite the OpenTV guide being active.

It might be worth checking that the missing channels of interest are available on Freesat, before buying a Freesat box. (I have a 'Freesat Radio Bouquet' on my Enigma2 box, but many of the missing radio channels are not on it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Sky customers should be demanding a price reduction, if they are to receive a lesser service, going forward.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

garrettod wrote: »
    Sky customers should be demanding a price reduction, if they are to receive a lesser service, going forward.

See ICDG's post 6 above yours...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

dulpit wrote: »
    See ICDG's post 6 above yours...

Thanks.

I would have a different opinion to ICDG, regarding part of his / her post, above.

Services that are provided over time, become an implied part of the deal, even if not originally stated. Much as feature enhancements do.

ICDG is most likely correct about Sky loading some revenue, with these broadcasters being removed from the Irish EPG, I've no idea how much is involved, but given the level of profitability at Sky, it's not an issue.

I stand by my view that customers should be pushing back and pressing Sky for reduction - Sky are too quick to increase fees when they feel like it, and it shouldn't be all one way.

Thanks,

G.

To repeat, Sky was not responsible for providing these channels to you. You weren’t paying for them, so why you should be compensated. Sky provided these channels - for a payment - a listing on their EPG. Sky has now introduced a condition that to be listed on the Irish EPG channels need to have an EU license. Now whether Sky actually needed to do that (remembering that the EPG is actually provided from and regulated in the U.K.) is debatable. To an extent it doesn’t actually matter because that was the decision they decided to take, it is their EPG. Channels come and go from the Sky EPG on a very frequent basis and if Sky had to compensate customers for each change then they would be out of business because we wouldn’t be paying anything.

On a more general point - even if these channels were part of a Sky package, Sky and all other pay TV providers have a clause stating that they can vary line ups. They need to have this clause. They cannot be responsible for any scenario where a third party channel decides to leave the platform for any reason. Channels come and go. No more than there being a price increase every time a new channel launches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

God, poor Sky, must be terrible for them to be at the whim of these broadcasters while all they have is a monopoly on the DTH satellite tv market. :rolleyes:

The totality of the channels provided on the Sky boxes is the service they sell (at very high prices) to their customers.

Sky went to great lengths to ensure their service was the only one available in the UK/IRL market, they purposely locked down the encryption standard and engineered the boxes so any non-sky EPG channels were only available through a side menu with poor functionality.

If channels drop off their service for whatever reason that's a drop in value to their paying customers and definitely a legitimate reason to expect a reassessment of the subscription they are paying, no matter what Sky or their shills think.

Advertisement