Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭blue note

Ask in the pro shop. Corballis had a limit of +5 or something per hole, so people could pick up instead of playing out for ridiculous scores. Not every club does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

You can pick up.

Your round will be a nq/dq for the comp.

Just put in the all your scores.

Computer will take care of the rest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Craddockstown pro shop just went up in flames. Mental stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Ev carts?

Yeah, 1st cart went on fire as I was coming out of the pro shop. We tried to put it out with the extinguisher, but it spread to the others and the wind then whipped the flames back into the building. Place was gutted within a few mins. Heat was absolutely insane, and the speed it spread was crazy.

Thankfully no one was hurt, and hopefully all the gear was insured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Didn't realise you were actually on the scene when it happened Kiith, scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seen the fumes, looked serious. Hopefully gear and building are fully insured. Crazy how quick fire spreads.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Was chatting with playing partner last weekend and he mentioned about someone he noticed in the car park.

Occasionally I'll forget to return my sand bag leaving the course and it might end up in the boot, but he said the guy beside him had about 30 empty sand-bags in his boot.

He asked him how that happened and the guy said he had filled them all and brought the sand home to use in his own garden, and that his garden had never been better.

This was said without an iota of shame or guilt.

Do people really carry on like that and just assume that their entitled to take from their own club.

Sure, it's just some sand, but generally I believe, decent sand is a pretty big overhead for golf courses.

Just seems nuts to me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

what a sad man

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

On a similar note, how do clubs deal with stoney bunkers? Sieve, replace the sand?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bunkers should be rebuilt every few years but given the cost does not happen enough, mostly just on good links

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭spuddy4711

Anyone else get this repeated upgrade message days after accepting the upgrade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

In N America a sandbagger is a term for a player sporting too high a handicap. I guess this ^^ is a different sort of theft going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭big_drive

Sand is currently about €30 a tonne so not cheap. Thats poor behaviour from that guy

Castlewardens Lauren Walsh going well at the Aramco German Masters on the Ladies European Tour. Currently level par and in a tie for 16th, 3 off the lead

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Quick question if anyone can help....

I'm playing Druids Glen in a few days. Never been there before so not sure on the driving range / practice area situation. I'm assuming there's a range and practice area close to the first tee?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭zocklie

Theres a range next to the hotel, but I went up there 2 weeks ago and was shut (albeit this was after 7 on a weekday)

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think they are moving the range at Druids, so it's currently closed?

Closest other range is probably Greystones (it's not part of Greystones golf club, it's down by the sea front). Has TopTracer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Shameful behaviour, sand ain't cheap, if your man is a member he presumably isn't living on bread and water either

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

it’s called Criss Cross and unlike @bakerbhoy ive never seen it where someone had to pay in twice.

The lowest man plays with each of the other 2 guys

Some more major comps might not allow criss cross

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

When I played it before the re-model there was no range at Druids Glen. Just a chipping & putting green and a couple of nets. The range is down beside the first tee at Druids Heath. No idea if that has changed now or not.

I play with Ping G10s which I think are like 2007, so pretty old, and they also aren't fitted for me (they are very wrong).

Went for a fitting and it was eye opening, honestly like a proper wow moment for me. The difference was enormous, was hitting everything straight and far straight away!

Been putting a lot of effort into my golf this year, been for 4 or 5 lessons, changed my address, changed my grip, changed my swing and now that it finally seems to be settling in I got the fitting done for clubs that actually suit me. Ended up going for TaylorMade P790s.

If this doesn't help improve my golf I'll just have to take up chess or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

I made a similar change late last year going from 15+ year old second hand mizunos to TM 770s. Love the look and feel of the new clubs, and due to the stronger lofts I'm 10-15m per club longer. Unfortunately I'm playing sh*te golf currently due to lack of playing time, so it's not all about the clubs :D keep going with the practice and the improvement will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭coillcam

@awec @VW 1 - with bigger distances, you'll have different dispersion (longer putting and more variety of chips). Don't forget the short game practice.

I always find that when I focus on one thing, the rest of my game stagnates or regresses. Probably short game and putting that slips the fastest, the driver would be next.

Yeah, the clubs certainly don't make you better, but they make you feel better for a while 🤣

My game is in absolutely ****. Got to find myself a decent pro to go to in the Kildare region asap. I know Carton House do the clinics, so i might try there, though i suspect i'll need more than a 1 off clinic.

Also need to change my shoes, even after 8-10 rounds, they still give me blisters.

No doubt new clubs are not a magic bullet but my current clubs are both too long and have the wrong lie angle for me, and I am fairly convinced that they are at least part of my current problem.

Have been with Callum Slater in Carton Academy for a couple of lessons before and found him very good. Small changes, but effective and nice easy drills. Problem with the clinics can be getting enough time with the pro. You're usually sharing the session with a few others, so depending on numbers it can cut down on your time with the pro.

For other options both Brian O'Brien and Caolan Smith in Castlewarden are good. Again, simple, effective stuff. Driving range on site at the club so facilities to do the lesson on site.

What shoes are you wearing?

• Advertisement

I got some Calvin Klein shoes from Sports Direct, so no surprise they suck. Gonna pickup some Footjoy this weekend i think, spend a bit of money. Just not sure which ones.

And thanks for the lessons suggestions. My dad had a good 2 hour session in Carton, so i might try that. Want it soon though, so if they've no availability i'll try Castlewarden.

Advertisement