Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 4/128GB £129 Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

Got one of these phones prior to Christmas, very unimpressed with it; sh*tty connection to car - no other phone has ever had an issue, only way to order the apps alphabetically (ocd here) is to use a loader, the alarm hasn't worked in 2 months, and phone cannot cast to google chromecast.

I'll hang onto it a while longer but it'll be going to CEX soon after the re-opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Am thinking of getting this phone and have got a sim from 48 to give it a try. This is probably a really stupid question but when activating the sim, is there a time limit on activating it once received.
    Don't think so but it shouldn't matter as you'll need to use it before the offer ends which could be soon. The 48 SIM should still work in a few weeks if activated now. If it's not activated now then it should still be capable of being activated in a few weeks.
    Also if it is activated does it get deactivated after a certain period of time without credit bought for the sim?
    Thanks.
    Maybe after 6 months but it's possible that it could stay active for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Happy with the phone so far. I'm coming from another redmi, so everything is familiar. Hard to go wrong at the price.

Asus1 wrote: »
    Stick your SIM in and away you go, phone is completely unlocked.Great phone with fine big battery and is not at all fragile as I've dropped it a good few times and screen is still fine.

I just did exactly that, thanks.

Yes great phone do far. I had the smaller redmi 4a and it was hardy too. Dropped a good few times, only the screen protector cracked, which I changed a few times. No rear cover at all and it's still In good shape.

I've added the plastic/rubber rear cover that comes in the box with the phone and left the screen cover/film that was on it in place. I'm not sure if it's just a dust protection or an actual screen protector.

What are you doing for phone/screen protection?

I'd imagine you need to buy these products mostly online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Firblog wrote: »
    Got one of these phones prior to Christmas, very unimpressed with it; sh*tty connection to car - no other phone has ever had an issue, only way to order the apps alphabetically (ocd here) is to use a loader, the alarm hasn't worked in 2 months, and phone cannot cast to google chromecast.

I'll hang onto it a while longer but it'll be going to CEX soon after the re-opening.

Just to add to my own experience after having the phone around 4-5 months now.

I got the phone shortly after Xmas. I was always an iPhone user but I never got new iPhones, I would usually spend €300-400 getting an iPhone that came out 3-4 years ago so I said I'd chance this as I got it for £129 on Amazon and thought it was worth the risk for the spec at that price.

While the battery life, storage, screen size etc. are all fantastic there are other issues with the phone that have been disappointing:

- apps can be laggy and I have to restart the phone sometimes to get the phone to speeden up.
    - the internet on the browser does not seem fast at all.
    - the camera for what is a 48mp is not as good as I expected.

I was coming from an iPhone 6s and tbh some of the pictures from that camera have better colour, changing between apps on it seemed quicker, and the internet on the browser was way faster (I compared them as I still have the 6s).

Works fine with my car. I've an older car so I've a Bluetooth thing that sticks into the lighter port and works fine with that.

I'm not bothered changing back to an iPhone as I'm after getting used to this phone now and for £129 I still think it was worth the money as things like a great battery life (I get 2 full days), bigger screen and the big 128gb storage (I was used to 16gb or 32gb when I had iPhones) are keeping me with this phone as if I was to move back to a newer iPhone I'd be looking at over €500 at least and I don't want to spend that.

I will keep this phone for another year or so, then I will get another android, most likely next time I will get one for £200-300 and one with better RAM as I'd say it wouldn't be as laggy then.

Overall happy enough, but tbh I expected it to be a bit better with the spec advertised, however, in saying that, for the price, I suppose you can't go wrong.

I've read someone mention Mii debugging.

I never bothered removing anything on my old redmi 4a, just didn't sign up for any Mii services. Not sure if that suffices.

Did anyone clean up their redmi note 9 phone. If so how did you go about it and what did you do/use?

Was it done for speed or security?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭in2dark

gooner99 wrote: »
    I've added the plastic/rubber rear cover that comes in the box with the phone and left the screen cover/film that was on it in place. I'm not sure if it's just a dust protection or an actual screen protector.

What are you doing for phone/screen protection?

I'd imagine you need to buy these products mostly online.

AliExpress bis your friend for screen protector (i like the kafele ones) and phone cases

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Phone arrived and is on charge. Will play with it later

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

They gave me the order number as the tracking Id and shows on the Vodafone account as awaiting pickup anyone else the same?

• Advertisement

Topdolla wrote: »
    They gave me the order number as the tracking Id and shows on the Vodafone account as awaiting pickup anyone else the same?

Bang it into an post tracking tonight once it's collected from VF

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭tandcapply

Is anyone has order status as open for many days?
    Mine is at open since Monday.
    Haven't been to their chat yet.

Is there a decent camera app to work on this?

Can't get gcam to work

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

Bang it into an post tracking tonight once it's collected from VF

Thank you :) Hopefully I am enjoying the phone tomorrow.

Topdolla wrote: »
    Thank you :) Hopefully I am enjoying the phone tomorrow.

If you have it Sunday it will be a miracle 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

tandcapply wrote: »
    Is anyone has order status cas open for many days?
    Mine is at open since Monday.
    Haven't been to their chat yet.

Mine was open since Tuesday, money frozen in my a/c. Finally got a hold of VF yesterday to be told by a nice lady in Mumbai or some such, who spoke English with an unintelligible accent ( that's half an hour I'll never get back), that there was a glitch in the system early in the week and that my only option was to cancel and reorder when I was refunded, which could take seven working days.
    Nice to see VF have not let their standards slip, they are still No. 1 in sh1t CS.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Mine was open since Tuesday, money frozen in my a/c. Finally got a hold of VF yesterday to be told by a nice lady in Mumbai or some such, who spoke English with an unintelligible accent ( that's half an hour I'll never get back), that there was a glitch in the system early in the week and that my only option was to cancel and reorder when I was refunded, which could take seven working days.
    Nice to see VF have not let their standards slip, they are still No. 1 in sh1t CS.

I believe that it's actually Egypt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I believe that it's actually Egypt :)

Could well have been Outer Mongolia, no difference once you get past Rosslare, can't understand any of them. Come to think of it, I find it hard enough to understand the ones from Rosslare.

Rang them and was advised that it'll have to be cancelled.
    Was told there's a mismatch in details but can't tell me what exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

I've ordered two 48 SIMs over the passed few wks and neither arrived.
    Any idea where to pick up a SIM today so I can port them in to be able to buy this with the discount?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭in2dark

theShire wrote: »
    I've ordered two 48 SIMs over the passed few wks and neither arrived.
    Any idea where to pick up a SIM today so I can port them in to be able to buy this with the discount?

I bought my lyca in a spar.
    I called 5-6 stores before finding one that had them in stock

in2dark wrote: »
    I bought my lyca in a spar.
    I called 5-6 stores before finding one that had them in stock

I spent a tenner to get a gomo card. Delivered next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I spent a tenner to get a gomo card. Delivered next day.

Just to clarify...presume you mean Eir? Gomo is a subscription / bill network, they don't offer PAYG SIMs. It's not like Meteor, they had both PAYG and bill pay plans.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Just to clarify...presume you mean Eir? Gomo is a subscription / bill network, they don't offer PAYG SIMs. It's not like Meteor, they had both PAYG and bill pay plans.

It had gomo on the a post notification of delivery. Its a 10e eir payg sim.
    Ordered yesterday. Got it today and ordered a phone for the wife in 5 minutes flat.

I made all the mistakes on my order last week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

I have that phone awhile. If your living in the sticks the data is very very slow. I swop my sim into my old phone and its working fine. The N9 signal strength in a 3G areas in usually H for some reason.

Spoke too soon. They cancelled the order. Said they had an issue porting the number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Is there a case in the box? I have a redmi note 8 pro and it came with one.

I've gotten one for the wife for her birthday but haven't opened the box yet. Just need to get a case and screen protector for it.

Thanks

Is there a case in the box? I have a redmi note 8 pro and it came with one.

I've gotten one for the wife for her birthday but haven't opened the box yet. Just need to get a case and screen protector for it.

Thanks

It's one or those rubber ones

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

I notice that the Facebook app is preinstalled even though I don't do facebook and never downloaded it from the google app store.
    Does anyone know how do I uninstall it as it doesn't offer that facility in the app.
    TIA

• Advertisement

pcasso wrote: »
    I notice that the Facebook app is preinstalled even though I don't do facebook and never downloaded it from the google app store.
    Does anyone know how do I uninstall it as it doesn't offer that facility in the app.
    TIA
    Check out hidden settings for Xiaomi app on the play store.
    Be careful using it for anything else

Advertisement