Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 4/128GB £129 Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Mine is the same since last update. I see there is a newer global rom for the note 9 which I am going to try and flash over the weekend and see if that fixes the issue. It's a nuisance having to now bring a bank card with me to pay for stuff having relied on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gfaces

Daibheid wrote: »
    I noticed after a recent slew of updates that the phone is slow. Even moving the camera shows a delay in the onscreen image. So maybe it just needs a new up date. I'm on MIUI Global 12.0.2

I've emailed Xiaomi Ireland about it.

If it helps I followed https://devcondition.com/article/removing-unneeded-miui-applications/ and went through the various apps (mostly anything Xiaomi). It was a fairly large number of apps that I froze or removed totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Mine is still working fine and Google pay worked this afternoon for a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

An uninspiring response from Xiaomi Ireland. But it seems from feedback above NFC functionality and device approval isn't a consistent issue so maybe it'll get sorted with one of the many regular phone updates.

"From: Xiaomi Ireland <sales@xiaomi.ie>
    Sent: Monday 29 March 2021 14:23
    Re: 'Xiaomi Redmi Note 9'

Thank you for contacting us,

In regards with your concern, you would need to contact fonefix Xiaomi
    service centre in Ireland for the inspection and repair of your phone.

https://www.fonfix.com/pages/repairs-section

For further support and assistance please don’t hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,
    Adam"

An uninspiring response from Xiaomi Ireland. But it seems from feedback above NFC functionality and device approval isn't a consistent issue so maybe it'll get sorted with one of the many regular phone updates.

"From: Xiaomi Ireland <sales@xiaomi.ie>
    Sent: Monday 29 March 2021 14:23
    Re: 'Xiaomi Redmi Note 9'

Thank you for contacting us,

In regards with your concern, you would need to contact fonefix Xiaomi
    service centre in Ireland for the inspection and repair of your phone.

https://www.fonfix.com/pages/repairs-section

For further support and assistance please don’t hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,
    Adam"

Just on this - Xiaomi.ie is not an official Xiaomi store. Xiaomi have no official presence in Ireland - they just own the Xioami.ie domain address. Is that where you bought the phone?

• Advertisement

I bought the Note 9 from Vodafone after checking it had NFC. I got round to setting it up for Google Pay with no issues. However it was declined in store and further checking reveals this phone is not approved for Google Pay. I'll dig into it some more but just a heads-up for anyone else hoping to use it for NFC payments.

Instructions for how to check your phones Play Protect certification status:
    Open the Google Play Store app.
    Tap Menu Menu then Settings.
    Under "Play Protect certification," you'll find if your device is Play Protect certified.
    Asus1 wrote: »
    Mine was working with pay up until the last fortnight, something must of updated that upset NFC
    I noticed after a recent slew of updates that the phone is slow. Even moving the camera shows a delay in the onscreen image. So maybe it just needs a new up date. I'm on MIUI Global 12.0.2

I've emailed Xiaomi Ireland about it.

Those with the NFC issue - where did you buy the phone? Mine has the latest vendor rom from Vodafone. I'm just wondering is it the same for those who bought theirs from Amazon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

GBX wrote: »
    Those with the NFC issue - where did you buy the phone? Mine has the latest vendor rom from Vodafone. I'm just wondering is it the same for those who bought theirs from Amazon ?

Got mine around Christmas from Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

GBX wrote: »

Bought mine from Amazon last Dec. Had no issues with NFC but today (after the update) had to repeat the tap at the card reader before it worked. Don’t know if this is just a once off but glad it worked as I didn’t bring my debit card. Will watch developments with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Looking at getting the Vodafone offer,
    I have a 48 SIM, it's activated and using the free 1gb trial data, do I need to purchase membership to port the number to Vodafone.

Would need NFC, so is that a bit hit and miss depending on the phone or updates?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

rash wrote: »
    I have a 48 SIM, it's activated and using the free 1gb trial data, do I need to purchase membership to port the number to Vodafone.

Would need NFC, so is that a bit hit and miss depending on the phone or updates?

Thanks

Not sure about the NFC but you don't need the membership. You just need to be able to receive the text to confirm the number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

rash wrote: »

Thanks
    You might get lucky, but the t+c say sims from lyca, Tesco and 48 are excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

gerard2210 wrote: »
    You might get lucky, but the t+c say sims from lyca, Tesco and 48 are excluded.

Ported from a 48 worked SIM on Monday. Used click and collect to get it.

Just received my 48 sim today and the offer has been reduced to €50 off :(
    A Law wrote: »
    Ported from a 48 worked SIM on Monday. Used click and collect to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

Mines back as play protected and NFC is working fine.Must of came back between Tuesday and today as it wasn't working Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

I bought the Note 9 from Vodafone after checking it had NFC. I got round to setting it up for Google Pay with no issues. However it was declined in store and further checking reveals this phone is not approved for Google Pay. I'll dig into it some more but just a heads-up for anyone else hoping to use it for NFC payments.

Instructions for how to check your phones Play Protect certification status:
    Open the Google Play Store app.
    Tap Menu Menu then Settings.
    Under "Play Protect certification," you'll find if your device is Play Protect certified.

After a recent update, Hey Presto, the phone software is now classed as "Approved" by Google for Google Pay via NFC.
    Thanks to all who confirmed it worked for them.
    I won't be leaving the card at home and trusting NFC 100% for a while after that wobble.
    Probably something worth checking after any Xiaomi system updates -or you could have a red face at the front of a cashier's Q !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Also shame, got my Lyca sim today but offer only €50 now, shame. Will hang onto the sim and keep an eye out for other deals I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just tried the NFC for the first time there to top up my leap card and it doesn't work. Any ideas on how to get NFC working?

Just tried the NFC for the first time there to top up my leap card and it doesn't work. Any ideas on how to get NFC working?

Is the NFC switched on? Mine had stopped working but eventually worked again - no idea how it did so. I assumed it was because of the last update (Feb 2021) but I havent had any since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've probably missed it but are these Vodafone phones locked to the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I've probably missed it but are these Vodafone phones locked to the network?

Unlocked.

• Advertisement

Vodafone is back to 100 off but you need to spend 20 on a subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Vodafone is back to 100 off but you need to spend 20 on a subscription.

20 top-up not needed. €99 in total.

rizzee wrote: »
    20 top-up not needed. €99 in total.

Where is that option. I'm not seeing it

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

Same here, is the top up taken automatically every month?.

Just onto my local shop who are saying I can't avail of the offer with 48.

Has anyone else had this?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

The Mrs got 2 of these using 48sim cards about 3 months back(online and arrived in 3 days) What a cracker of a phone for 90 quid. 4/128gb, excellent camera, screen protector and also a rubber phone case. Just spend 20 mins debugging, Can't fault it and that's coming from a p20 pro that cost 3 times more

A previous poster said they got it recently, ordered online for store pickup with a 48 SIM.

I tried to order last week with a 48 SIM online but the price kept going back to 199 at checkout, so I gave up. Tried again last night seeing as it went back to 100 off and I managed to order at the 99 price, I've a open order but money not taken from my card yet, so not sure if it will be successful

Update.
    I chose a payg package but on checkout it wasn't charged for.
    I ported my 48 sim which was accepted by the online system and got an email to say my order was accepted at €99.

The porting and verification is part of the order process

Im getting it delivered to my address.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

Ordered earlier today, ported from Lycamobile, just got a order dispatched email and tracking number.

99 euro.

Thanks to you all for the info.

Vinnie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Choose the 20 but you don't need to top up when the phone arrives. You get charged 99 at the checkout.

Advertisement