Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirgrid warns of power outages

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

That pie chart is basically the master plans for how to destroy Ireland's security of supply.
    Coal/Moneypoint is gone in 2025 if not earlier.
    Other is partly peat.
    Greens are doing their level best to ensure that we can't keep the gas turbines running with domestically produced gas.
    The 4% renewables was mostly ArdNaCrusha and is only 4% because it continues to spin through the night. When it was needed during the day it would have been less than 2%.

I reckon this is why they are so gung-ho for the interconnect to France. The problems come with maintenance, over 500KM of cabling has a good change to develop faults and depending on conditions can take a long time to repair (e.g. the Basslink cable between Australia and Tasmania). There have also been previous faults with the East West Interconnector and the Moyle interconnect between Nothern Ireland and Scotland.

Maintenance issues are be a minor concern there is the economics of running these and how the market price will be set, the thinking is that when Ireland has surplus wind generation it can be exported to the UK or France, realistically that power cannot be supplied on demand, as a result Irish consumers could end up paying for below cost electricity that British or French consumers can avail of, while we have to pay high prices to import that power on demand.

I notice many sales of existing wind turbine installations over the past few years and I am wondering why? Then you have to consider every new onshore wind site that is opened up gives a lower return than the previous one, so costs keep going up. Offshore is a possibility, but in the Altantic it is more expensive to build and maintain. Secondly, you need to build more transmission to link generation to the cities and this is politically difficult, no one wants all the overhead transmission lines which is why you see the head of Eirgrid complaining about the planning process and how any blow in can object.

The Corrib gas field is probably only going to run for maybe 20 years, and don't dare mention fracking. Gas is what keeps the lights on today and will for a long time.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Where are all these wind turbines going to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

They will be visible from Dalkey.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Where the DC and the jobs are, other than the DC security and other guys, are not related so to claim that say 600 jobs in Ireland exist because of a DC is playing fast and loose with fake news

Thats utter horse crap.

I manage over 40 applications including some critical infrastructure. Where are they located? In the DC. How is that fake news?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ardnacrusha was built more or less on time and within budget. It's amazing how a thing like that could be costed accurately before desk calculators, let alone computers.

That's the Germans for you.
    That project was delivered by Siemens IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Put them on the hills overlooking Dublin, watch the greens then do a u-turn (ha)

Maybe, but theres been a big big fight round home over pylons for high voltage lines, but in Dublin Iv seen them go right by the end of some folks gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,008 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Blazer wrote: »
    While I agree we'd never get past planning permission for it.

Then change the stupid planning laws. None of these planners are answerable to the electorate, particularly An Taisce, who some daft government decided way back when to give too loud a voice to. These things should be decided by bodies answerable to the electorate, not answerable to no-one.

It's incredible in this country that people can see systems that are disfunctional out-of-date or plain stuffed and yet not have the simple solution occur to them to institute change and fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭beachhead

Vote Green

Yes,I need to pay more taxes on my island next to the Atlantic Ocean,Ireland.I have too much money as it is.Also.Dail allowances need to be covered somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

They will be visible from Dalkey.

something tells me it'll be a massive struggle to build them so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Near other people's houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Someone mentioned datacenters being wasteful, they are the 21st century industrial baseline, be happy that Ireland finally has some industry and hence jobs direct and indirect, this country cant spend centuries farming potatoes and meat (and badly at that)

heres what amazon are doing
    https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2020/1214/1184348-amazon-heating/

Having worked in the industry thats the bare minimum they should be doing anyway . There really aren't that many jobs in these data centres once they are up and running , there is nothing industrial about them except their appetite for power .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cnocbui wrote: »
    Then change the stupid planning laws. None of these planners are answerable to the electorate, particularly An Taisce, who some daft government decided way back when to give too loud a voice to. These things should be decided by bodies answerable to the electorate, not answerable to no-one.
    Why on earth would planners be answerable to the electorate?
    Should librarians be answerable to the electorate? What about government IT technicians? What other civil or public servants should be answerable to the electorate?

As for An Taisce, they are a prescribed organisation whose views are shought and considered in many areas of both the natural and built heritage.
    I'd also be wary of the thought of removing independent groups from the list of prescribed bodies for fear that we end up back in the of Fianna Fáil approach to planning.
    An Taisce provide a valuable service, even if you don't see it.

I'm also conscious that Michael Smith, former chair of An Taisce was key (along with Colm Mac Eochaidh) in the uncovering of the planning corruption in Ireland.

Why on earth would planners be answerable to the electorate?
    Should librarians be answerable to the electorate? What about government IT technicians? What other civil or public servants should be answerable to the electorate?

As for An Taisce, they are a prescribed organisation whose views are shought and considered in many areas of both the natural and built heritage.
    I'd also be wary of the thought of removing independent groups from the list of prescribed bodies for fear that we end up back in the of Fianna Fáil approach to planning.
    An Taisce provide a valuable service, even if you don't see it.

I'm also conscious that Michael Smith, former chair of An Taisce was key (along with Colm Mac Eochaidh) in the uncovering of the planning corruption in Ireland.

Because we are supposed to live in a democracy? No 'independent body' should be so independent they are answerable to no one, particularly the people of this country.

I know someone who spent at least €70 K over three or four years trying to get planning permisiion to build a house on land their family has owned for generations. They finally got it after three goes, then An Taisce stepped in and torpedoed it because in their view the house would have been too close to a SAC. Not in a SAC, mind you, but close. Absolutely disgusting bleed of jurisdiction and covenent there. It's bad enough the restrictions on land use the SAC of shíte foisted on landowners, but to then go and effectively extend that blight over other land thankfully not so encumbered is reprehensible.

Letting An Taisce stick their oar in on projects like the National Children's hospital is just ridiculous.

An Taisce should not have a government mandate to prevent vitally needed infrastrure for the country. A government stupidly gave them their say and a government should pull the plug on them when they get in the way of the national good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Having worked in the industry thats the bare minimum they should be doing anyway . There really aren't that many jobs in these data centres once they are up and running , there is nothing industrial about them except their appetite for power .

Power which they do pay for. Either way if Ireland wants to reduce its carbon footprint to make meaningful change then nuclear power is currently the only option. It's nice talking about Solar and other renewables but the same people don't want to talk about the horrible batteries and bonkers roi on the units.

Ireland and it's people are too weak for radical change.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Because we are supposed to live in a Democracy? No 'independent body' should be so independent they are answerable to no one, particularly the people of this country.
    Bird Failte have the same status but you're not complaining about them???
    I know someone who spent at least €70 K over three or four years trying to get planning permisiion to build a house on land their family has owned for generations. They finally got it after three goes, then An Taisce stepped in and torpedoed it because in their view the house would have been too close to a SAC. Not in a SAC, mind you, but close. Absolutely disgusting bleed of jurisdiction and covenent there. It's bad enough the restrictions on land use the SAC of shíte foisted on landowners, but to then go and effectively extend that blight over other land thankfully not so encumbered is reprehensible.
    Care to share the development application details with us so we can see that your view of it is the correct version of the truth?
    An Taisce should not have a government mandate to prevent vitally needed infrastrure for the country. A government stupidly gave them their say and a government should pull the plug on them when they get in the way of the national good.
    They provide an input into the planning process. They don't make the decision.
    They don't have the mandate you claim. They simply provide a voice.

If Apple's proposal for their one-off build in the countryside near Athenry had reached it's full projected size, it would have increased this country's total electricity requirements by 8%. You can bet Apple wouldn't have paid one cent towards the massive EU fines that would have played a significant part in causing because of not reaching stated energy reduction targets.
    Ireland faces fines of €600m a year from the EU for failing to meet renewable energy targets and cutting carbon emissions by 2020.

New, more ambitious targets for 2030 do not let Ireland off the hook for the 2020 measures, it has emerged.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ireland-faces-annual-eu-energy-fines-of-600m-36857141.html

Bird Failte have the same status but you're not complaining about them???

Care to share the development application details with us so we can see that your view of it is the correct version of the truth?

They provide an input into the planning process. They don't make the decision.
    They don't have the mandate you claim. They simply provide a voice.

I would have to ask the person for permission to share details which would lead to their identification and I may want to enter into a commercial arrangement with them over something else at some point, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thats utter horse crap.

I manage over 40 applications including some critical infrastructure. Where are they located? In the DC. How is that fake news?

bully for you :D
    Just reading a quotation from the great Paul Sarbanes (1933-2020) RIP.

I am not always out there blowing my own trumpet. You can get a lot done by letting others take some, maybe all, of the credit for it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement