Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirgrid warns of power outages

Options
  • 11-12-2020 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1211/1183760-eirgrid-warning-outages/

So we are shutting two Peat Power Stations in the next week, Brexit is looming and lo and behold now Eirgrid are projecting that power outages may happen if there is not enough wind to drive the turbines.
    Am I missing something here in regards to the future planning of electricity demand in our country, now that we have Electric Post office vans and Electric Bin trucks to come, how exactly are we going to cope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Build a nuclear plant and stop relying on dirty fossil fuels and unreliable renewables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I heard about this on the news this morning.
    So in order to implement these "Green" policies of carbon reduction, we may well end up with rolling black-outs where areas of the country will be without power. This may end up with people losing their lives at the very most and a lot of us very inconvenienced at the very least.

Apparently they cannot even keep these peat power stations on standby just in case. Talk about cutting off the nose to spite the face. Very bewildering. But you know ............. carbon footprint in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

We live on an island in the roughest sea in the world, why don't we generate power from waves? Very realiable. The big massive data centers here are a serious drain on our power supply for next to no economical gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

[....that power outages may happen if there is not enough wind to drive the turbines. ...

That article is a little vague. I got the impression it's that high level of technical faults with generators and with link to the north leave high risk of power failure.

It's there some thing else going on here. Was there there some plan to replace it repair equipment that hasn't happened for some reason. This is a means of raising this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭ongarite

The 2 gas power plants in Huntstown have had serious reliability issue for many years.
    Seems to be a very poorly run facility.

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »
    We live on an island in the roughest sea in the world, why don't we generate power from waves? Very realiable.
    Very expensive, the technology is still in its infancy relatively speaking and like wind there is a sweet spot - too much or too few waves impact power production - but yes on paper tidal looks like the answer for ireland long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Build a nuclear plant and stop relying on dirty fossil fuels and unreliable renewables

I'd tend to agree with this option.
    Rolls Royce are working on small modular reactor set ups that could well be ideal for covering our power gap and for providing peak load cover.
    https://www.rolls-royce.com/products-and-services/nuclear/small-modular-reactors.aspx#/

If this particular iteration of nuclear works, it will be the death knell of large nuclear plants as well as fossil fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Vote Green

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Kivaro wrote: »
    I heard about this on the news this morning.
    So in order to implement these "Green" policies of carbon reduction, we may well end up with rolling black-outs where areas of the country will be without power. This may end up with people losing their lives at the very most and a lot of us very inconvenienced at the very least.

Apparently they cannot even keep these peat power stations on standby just in case. Talk about cutting off the nose to spite the face. Very bewildering. But you know ............. carbon footprint in Ireland.

I wonder how many diesel and petrol generators are going to be bought by people to protect against losing power? Another not fully thought out "green" policy that will result in more pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭KildareP

Kivaro wrote: »
    The biggest problem with keeping them on standby is they're no good at reacting to sudden changes in demand.
    If you want to increase the power output to cope with a sudden increased demand, start feeding in more turf to the boilers and you might have enough steam output to drive the turbines after about 4 hours...
    (Or if you're starting the plant from a completely cold state, maybe 2-3 days...)

Likewise, if demand suddenly drops sharply, you end up venting all the now unnecessary steam into the atmosphere which is a complete waste of energy.

Compared to a gas turbine plant which I've seen reports can be online and generating from cold in about 15 minutes (although it sill takes several hours for the thermal side in a combined cycle plant to get going in order to reach maximum output and efficiency). However I can't imagine the Greens being happy to sanction us building more gas powered plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Vote Green

Exactly !!

Think like Eamonn .

Buy a couple of woolie jumpers , and a few candles for when the lights are out .

Sure y'all will be grand :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How is Eirgrids plan, that has been underway for a number of years, the fault of the greens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Total non story and look like a local Offaly political angle rather than anything else.

Huge amount of solar and wind power in development and plenty of backup. Only a few months ago it was being suggested that there was going to a huge amount of excess power. Huge battery farm also in planning.

Read the story carefully - If if if if.

So we need no wind, low solar and issues with the UK interconnector on top of peak demand for there to be a "risk".

I suspect there's a better chance of winning the lotto twice in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    Exactly !!

Think like Eamonn .

Buy a couple of woolie jumpers , and a few candles for when the lights are out .

Alternatively go very green and hug a sheep (not yourself btw) ;)

Or bit like the carbon neutral thing. Basically China can burn all the coal it wants as long as that is offset by loads of new shiny solar arrays in Mongolia or wherever. Doesn't mean there are any less emissions...

Or carbon zero - which basically means recycle everything you own then go live in a cave and survive off sustainable hand collected insects.

I just love greenthink ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Very expensive, the technology is still in its infancy relatively speaking and like wind there is a sweet spot - too much or too few waves impact power production - but yes on paper tidal looks like the answer for ireland long term.

Tidal != wave power.

Tidal needs specific sites - tide races - to work. Something like strangford narrows in North Down. Even then, it doesnt have a massive yield.

Wave power uses actual waves from big swells - but its not really commercially viable anywhere yet. There have been wave farms deployed, some in UK even, but theyre mostly a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Gas powered stations and nuclear power. That's what provides clean, reliable and on demand electricity. None of this nonsense that if we have a windless day we'll all be sitting in the dark.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Tidal != wave power.

Tidal needs specific sites - tide races - to work. Something like strangford narrows in North Down. Even then, it doesnt have a massive yield.

Wave power uses actual waves from big swells - but its not really commercially viable anywhere yet. There have been wave farms deployed, some in UK even, but theyre mostly a failure.

Correct, my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Greens means well (I hope) but without reliable high electricity production we are ****ed.
    Data centres, hospitals, banks, schools, my freezer - they all need uninterrupted power.

silver2020 wrote: »
    Total non story and look like a local Offaly political angle rather than anything else.

Huge amount of solar and wind power in development and plenty of backup. Only a few months ago it was being suggested that there was going to a huge amount of excess power. Huge battery farm also in planning.

So we need no wind, low solar and issues with the UK interconnector on top of peak demand for there to be a "risk".

"If if if if."???
    Are you living overseas. Are you not familiar with Ireland's geographical location and climate?
    We know there are days on end in the depths of winter when Ireland is under an area of Low pressure and there is no wind. That happens a couple of times ever winter.
    We know there is practically no Solar resource in the depths of Winter either.

Hydro and pumped Hydro can't bridge the gap therefore fossil fuels need to be burnt or Electricity imported. The alternative is blackouts or brownouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭timmyntc

biko wrote: »
    The Greens means well (I hope) but without reliable high electricity production we are ****ed.
    Data centres, hospitals, banks, schools, my freezer - they all need uninterrupted power.

It doesn't matter what the Greens intentions are - their dogmatic approach to climate & emissions will do far more harm than good.

The Shannon LNG is a good example - natural gas is probably the cleanest fossil fuel out there, and is a must for any grid with a lot of renewables. When the wind doesnt blow and the sun dont shine, you need gas in reserve. And as we decommission coal & peat plants, we will need more gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

silver2020 wrote: »

The word If appears once.

The maintenance/downtime issues with existing plant is a problem.

As noted earlier, low wind/low solar is a fact each winter, the low wind is not just here but goes as far as Poland, which takes out all the north sea stuff, including the much vaunted Danish collection.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Nuclear is the answer but the Green's want us all on bikes and wearing 3 jumpers.

Waste to Energy plants could potentially store up rubbish for burning in expectation of these days of low renewables production but the Greens hate Waste to Energy plants too and did their level best to prevent them being switched on even when not in Government.
    They're quite happy to throw out incentives for "Well to do" people to upgrade their homes from B to A+ and purchase EV cars but security of supply for the Nation means nothing to them and they look the other way when Datacentres are mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    Exactly !!

Think like Eamonn .

maybe the wolves could generate the additional power we need ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think we could all use far less power if we made an effort. Look at all the buildings in cities left on 24/7 and all the things in your house you probably don't need to have on. I think Ireland is considered too small for a nuclear power plant to be considered economically viable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

I think we could all use far less power if we made an effort. Look at all the buildings in cities left on 24/7 and all the things in your house you probably don't need to have on. I think Ireland is considered too small for a nuclear power plant to be considered economically viable.

It's hugely viable. We could defeat whatever carbon output penalties Brussels have waiting for us and become an exporter of power to the UK and beyond. It's win win but like usual we won't do feck all about it.

Lettuce boxes for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The hype and BS on this thread is scary and just proves how easily susceptible we are to social media crap. Blaming the greens and data centers is beyond a joke, next you will blaming us folk who drive EV’s for the drain of the grid.

Before you jump to conclusions you should qualify your statements, Eirgrid has a plan and has had for many years. Any shortfall of renewables will be met by nuclear power but not our own generated, it will be French nuclear power via the Celtic interconnector that is in planning right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The word If appears on
    ce.

The maintenance/downtime issues with existing plant is a problem.

As noted earlier, low wind/low solar is a fact each winter, the low wind is not just here but goes as far as Poland, which takes out all the north sea stuff, including the much vaunted Danish collection.

Key parts of that article.
    ...Eirgrid said the risks posed by the growing level of generator-forced outages in other stations remains high....

Is this not fixable?
    Political representatives in the Midlands say the two stations should be kept on standby,

What else would they say. I assume if we needed them, we wouldn't be closing them down.

Is this just a click bait to get people frothing at the mouth about the greens, or what's the point of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

timmyntc wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what the Greens intentions are - their dogmatic approach to climate & emissions will do far more harm than good.

The Shannon LNG is a good example - natural gas is probably the cleanest fossil fuel out there, and is a must for any grid with a lot of renewables. When the wind doesnt blow and the sun dont shine, you need gas in reserve. And as we decommission coal & peat plants, we will need more gas.

Its not just gas - New hydro-electric power is also now verboten according to the 'green new deal' bloxology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,940 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nothing to do with making data centers strategic infrastructure.

Gotta keep those cat gifs cold.

More carbon taxes for everyone else will solve it.

Advertisement