Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirgrid warns of power outages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Well building a society that isnt reliant on private cars might solve the lithium issue

that presents a whole load more issues, the private car market is extremely lucrative for the government coffers. If they really wanted to advocate for this, they'd be offering incentives for employers to provide working from home options for employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Well building a society that isnt reliant on private cars might solve the lithium issue

But private cars could solve the power issue?

If everyone had solar panels and an electric car they could charge the car and use the power to power the house.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Lithium mining is a lot less environmentally destructive than mining coal, tar sands oil and gas peat etc etc, and the lithium we mine today can be recycled to make the batteries on the future

I think the point is that we recycle said lithium rather than sticking it landfill.
    over 98% of lead acid batteries are recycled.
    They'll fix the process to recycle EV batteries because it is easier than using virgin material.
    I've glanced through the recycling documentation which I found online for a Twingo. Huge thought goes in to recyclability.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

screamer wrote: »
    dont want to be rude to you, but read the op, government policy making us vulnerable due to knock on impact of power outages. think of the impact of frequent power outages on our country and economy. two wrongs don't make a right in this instance, and for sure, change is needed, but that needs proper planning and implementation, not headless chicken turn it all off reactions....

i know the story, ive been interested in this since childhood, yes theres a possibility of future outages, particularly if we stand still, so the solution is, not to! theres no headlessness here, not only have Irish state bodies been concerned about this, but to has probably every state on the planet, so its a work in progress, we ll figure it out, because we have to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

But private cars could solve the power issue?

If everyone had solar panels and an electric car they could charge the car and use the power to power the house.

I just think we should be moving away from a society where everyone needs to have a car. Then we'll need more roads, more cars, there'll be more congestion, more parking etc.
    The current model is not sustainable.

I just think we should be moving away from a society where everyone needs to have a car. Then we'll need more roads, more cars, there'll be more congestion, more parking etc.

this definitely needs to be included, but it wont be easy to change, nearly every aspect of our lives requires the private vehicle, we ve designed our societies on it, so we re probably gonna need a major re-design

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    this definitely needs to be included, but it wont be easy to change, nearly every aspect of our lives requires the private vehicle, we ve designed our societies on it, so we re probably gonna need a major re-design

Ive managed 40 years without ever owning one but ive always lived in a way where i didnt need one.
    Most of the country seems to have been planned or not planned on the basis that you'll have a car however.

Ive managed 40 years without ever owning one but ive always lived in a way where i didnt need one.
    Most of the country seems to have been planned or not planned on the basis that you'll have a car however.

i only started driving later in life, but theres no way i could live without one now, there are alternatives available to me, but it would mean id require an extra couple of days a week of time, in order to survive, and a significant increase in income to boot, my hobbies and interests would effectively be impossible as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I'm fairly sure the power generators and ESB Networks know what circuits Hospitals are on and make sure they are the very last to go off.

Still happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That means more investment in actual public transport.

Considering it will take currently almost 23 years from the proposal of the Dublin Metro to the first train moving....at the moment

One fûcking metro line, about a third of the average lifetime... to get 16 stops, about 27 minutes of travel time over 19 kms.... 23 fûcking years... and a bill between 3 and 4 BILLION....!

If people had adequate, comfortable and efficient public transport that is planned, designed and built with the requirements of the citizens and visitors in mind... the numbers of cars would significantly diminish.

I’m a car guy, when I lived in Paris though, a city with the just best public transport ... metro, RER, trams, buses, funicular, suburban trains, TGV trains, river boats... not a fûcking chance would I dream about buying a car... because the French adequately invest in public transport... they think something of their citizens... provide for their needs and welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Build a nuclear plant and stop relying on dirty fossil fuels and unreliable renewables

I would not trust any Irish contractors to build it though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    Exactly !!

Think like Eamonn .

Buy a couple of woolie jumpers , and a few candles for when the lights are out .

Sure y'all will be grand :)

But they won't be able to work the Nespresso machine!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

ted kaczynski wrote a manifesto about that...his bombing campaign obviously not good, but his thoughts/opinions on technology have proven to be true...it's scary now accurate he was about where we find our relationship with technology today...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Give yourself a pat on the back.
    You can't connect every village or town in the country with Dublin style frequent public transport obvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No they don't.

Two hospitals I work in lost power this year.

Generators had to take over.

That wouldn’t have been a generation capacity issue.
    What hospital were they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Akrasia wrote: »
    Lithium mining is a lot less environmentally destructive than mining coal, tar sands oil and gas peat etc etc, and the lithium we mine today can be recycled to make the batteries on the future

Tell that to the children who do it. Something like two million liters of water is needed per ton of semi-refined lithium.

Give yourself a pat on the back.
    You can't connect every village or town in the country with Dublin style frequent public transport obvs.

No and it never will be but we could drastically reduce car reliance if we wanted.
    Don't worry we probably wont though and congestion will just get worse and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

No and it never will be but we could drastically reduce car reliance if we wanted.
    Don't worry we probably wont though and congestion will just get worse and worse.

Congestion has nothing to do with bad traffic management of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Build a nuclear plant and stop relying on dirty fossil fuels and unreliable renewables

While I agree we'd never get past planning permission for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

kravmaga wrote: »
    I would not trust any Irish contractors to build it though :D

There are Irish contractors building one if the most advanced nuclear plants in the world in France and one of the leading engineers is an Irish woman.

Put some lead in your pencil man and straighten up.

Danzy wrote: »
    There are Irish contractors building one if the most advanced nuclear plants in the world in France and one of the leading engineers is an Irish woman.

Put some lead in your pencil man and straighten up.

It is possible to believe in the competency of the engineers/tradespeople while still doubting an Irish Contracting company would bring the project in on time, on budget and according to specification.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It is possible to believe in the competency of the engineers/tradespeople while still doubting an Irish Contracting company would bring the project in on time, on budget and according to specification.

That's not by accident.

It's very profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

you hate cars , we get it. Cars are necessary and a modern convenience and lifeline for many. Thankfully they're not going away, but your anti-car agenda is very short sighted and really screams more of jealousy than environmental concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Jesus Christ we tried to build a Childrens Hospital and its going to bankrupt the country, A nuclear power plant is not something I want them overseeing.:pac:

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Jesus Christ we tried to build a Childrens Hospital and its going to bankrupt the country, A nuclear power plant is not something I want them overseeing.:pac:

Ardnacrusha was built more or less on time and within budget. It's amazing how a thing like that could be costed accurately before desk calculators, let alone computers.

you hate cars , we get it. Cars are necessary and a modern convenience and lifeline for many. Thankfully they're not going away, but your anti-car agenda is very short sighted and really screams more of jealousy than environmental concern.

Do you suggest we just carry on trying to get everyone in to cars? Dublin is one of the most congested cities in the world, it's only going to get worse if we keep pushing the car agenda.
    What am I jealous of now?!

Do you suggest we just carry on trying to get everyone in to cars? Dublin is one of the most congested cities in the world, it's only going to get worse if we keep pushing the car agenda.
    What am I jealous of now?!

What is the "car agenda?"

People supposed to get to travel or work on what?
    Push bikes?
    Donkeys?

Oh, not everyone lives in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

There are a number of problems for electrical engineers designing and maintaining the electrical grid that are inescapable concerning renewables— they are uneconomic (investment always falls when subsidies dry up), intermittency (requiring underutilised backup generation that must be maintained or not), and provide no grid inertia (which is automatic with big fossil fuel fired generators).

The push to unreliable random energy generation sources has grown in Ireland, the same is true across Western Europe and if the fossil fuel plants are ever phased out, good luck obtaining the power via the interconnectors at a price you can afford. If you think you can build a nuclear plant, then get ready for a 10 to 15 year slog created by the NIMBY political quagmire that ensues.

Wind turbines have their limits as outlined in this video presentation.

More unreliables = more expensive electricity. Good luck putting EVs on the road, that free ride has come to an end.

elctricity-prices-eu-country.png

What happens when there is no wind, this happens across the British Isles and can last for several weeks. This is from a few days earlier this year in Ireland.

random01.png

random02.png

The Hydrogen economy is the latest unicorn being pushed and that has holes as well.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

That pie chart is basically the master plans for how to destroy Ireland's security of supply.
    Coal/Moneypoint is gone in 2025 if not earlier.
    Other is partly peat.
    Greens are doing their level best to ensure that we can't keep the gas turbines running with domestically produced gas.
    The 4% renewables was mostly ArdNaCrusha and is only 4% because it continues to spin through the night. When it was needed during the day it would have been less than 2%.

Advertisement