Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag Climatise Document

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea but we can’t argue that measuring some of the activities isn’t possible. That’s like saying science is pointless let’s call everything “an art”

And then there's some that can't.

Give me a machine that can 'smell' soil and it comes back with a figure in a millisecond.
    I ain't messing that's where we've gone now. The nose is getting to know good soil.
    Same goes for biology brews.
    It has a pleasant sweet kind of a citrus smell.

*the country looks on as if I've two heads..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,530 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Give me a machine that can 'smell' soil and it comes back with a figure in a millisecond.
    I ain't messing that's where we've gone now. The nose is getting to know good soil.

Absolutely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭emaherx

Might not be there yet but it's getting close ;)
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ai-mimics-how-mammals-smell-superior-recognizing-scents

No, no, that happened with the underground lighting for soil :D
    Farmers collect data everyday.
    We're up to our eyes on grass colour, grass quantity, brix, after grazing height, cow condition, cow contentness, milk yield, fat, protein, scc, tbc, slurry colour, slurry smell, grass growth, slurry consistency, soil colour, worm numbers, soil dept.
    All this occurs everyday. It's when the farmer collects that information gives it someone else they sell that information on to a company and that company sells it back to the farmer with that company's plan is what most have issue with.

There's farmers doing year plans and buying their inputs based on what companies are telling them for the next year. It takes away farmer autonomy and chance to reduce their inputs based on day to day management and those eyes on the ground. Any way tangent gone off on..

This is on purpose. Control is what they want, they're not interested in the welfare or well being of the farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭alps

You need to have a serious talk with yourselves..

• Advertisement

alps wrote: »
    You need to have a serious talk with yourselves..

I must look for that fella with the cabbages in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maurice J Ryan

You should consider Biochar applied to slurry tanks and then spread on the land. This will ensure the efficacy of nitrogen and reduce the chemical usage on the farm - it also captures and stores more carbon so surely a positive all round?

You should consider Biochar applied to slurry tanks and then spread on the land. This will ensure the efficacy of nitrogen and reduce the chemical usage on the farm - it also captures and stores more carbon so surely a positive all round?

Welcome to Boards Maurice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Until you cut the crop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭endainoz

Until you cut the crop

Your going to have to elaborate on such a vague point.

• Advertisement

endainoz wrote: »
    Your going to have to elaborate on such a vague point.

Carbon is taken in whilst the plant, ie grass, trees, barely, is growing or in the ground but when you cut the crop the carbon is realised back to the atmosphere.

Same with ploughing which is why min till is preferred, from a carbon point of view. Bogs are also the same the carbon is sealed in.

Carbon is taken in whilst the plant, ie grass, trees, barely, is growing or in the ground but when you cut the crop the carbon is realised back to the atmosphere.

Same with ploughing which is why min till is preferred, from a carbon point of view. Bogs are also the same the carbon is sealed in.
    What's this?

20201027-170346.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Incorrect. Trees hold carbon both in the tree and roots. When they die, some, not all, that carbon is released back. Some is stored away. Grasses store the majority of their carbon in the soil. That's why permanent grassland is so important. It actually builds soil whereas tillage can lead to erosion. In tillage, only the top layers when disturbed will release the carbon stored. Underneath will be untouched.

Incorrect. Trees hold carbon both in the tree and roots. When they die, some, not all, that carbon is released back. Some is stored away. Grasses store the majority of their carbon in the soil. That's why permanent grassland is so important. It actually builds soil whereas tillage can lead to erosion. In tillage, only the top layers when disturbed will release the carbon stored. Underneath will be untouched.

You have agreed with what I’ve said.

What's this?

20201027-170346.jpg

Don’t know, what is it?

Don’t know, what is it?

The French call it Charbon.

It's the stuff you said disappears after its cut or harvested.

It'll still be there in 2000 years time.

The French call it Charbon.

It's the stuff you said disappears after its cut or harvested.

It'll still be there in 2000 years time.

Look up the carbon sink cycle

Look up the carbon sink cycle

Look up biochar. Terra preta. Carrowkeel archaeological digs.

You have agreed with what I’ve said.

They didn't really though, there is an important difference.

emaherx wrote: »
    They didn't really thought, there is an important difference.

I’m not sure I understand what you said there !

• Advertisement

I know or what roosterman71 said.

A few posts back you've claimed all the carbon is released back to the atmosphere when a crop is harvested, which is incorrect. Although maybe it's not what you ment?

A considerable amount of carbon captured by plants, in particular grass is stored in the soil and it doesn't escape to the atmosphere just because the plant is cut. The grass grows back fairly rapidly and captures more carbon.

What sort of work do you do as a matter of interest in the agri engineering business?

You've certainly raised interest in the environmental discussion on boards.

Look up biochar. Terra preta. Carrowkeel archaeological digs.

I’ve looked it up and I don’t understand how that contradicts what I’ve said. There putting charcoal, carbon back into the soil and as long as you don’t plough it up every year or burn it for energy it will last thousands of years. Oil will stay in the ground forever.

emaherx wrote: »
    I know or what roosterman71 said.

A few posts back you've claimed all the carbon is released back to the atmosphere when a crop is harvested, which is incorrect. Although maybe it's not what you ment?

A considerable amount of carbon captured by plants, in particular grass is stored in the soil and it doesn't escape to the atmosphere just because the plant is cut. The grass grows back fairly rapidly and captures more carbon.

Yeah that's what I thought they meant aswell, I'm glad I wasn't the only one a bit confused by the point.

I'm afraid that's mostly incorrect, your right about the ploughing part but not the harvesting. Carbon release does not work that way, your correct about the bogs aswell though.

I would encourage you to listen to what posters here have to say, I found it to be a very educational experience myself. But if you have your mind made up about being completely correct, I suppose nothing will change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Is it possible to buy Biochar or does it have to be made on the farm ? Also do you mix in the biochar and then agitate the slurry ?

What sort of work do you do as a matter of interest in the agri engineering business?

You've certainly raised interest in the environmental discussion on boards.

I’ve been out of Agri for a number of years but I’m looking to get back in if I can.

Advertisement