Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build house: not wired for fibre to the home

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

fungie wrote: »
    Picture of what's behind.

Co-ax not worth a fcuk with ftth. Stay with VM it might be of some use if you get a TV package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Picture of what's behind.

If that cable runs from the tv point to where the broadband modem is located then it should be possible to use it.

There are various devices you could try, but these are cheap.

(I haven't tried this technology, but there is no reason it shouldn't work.)

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Co-ax not worth a fcuk with ftth. Stay with VM it might be of some use if you get a TV package.

There are a range of devices that support IP over Coax.

There are a range of devices that support IP over Coax.

Sure there are... at about 25 Mb/s, you'd be better off using homeplugs, 2005 is long gone.

Sure there are... at about 25 Mb/s, you'd be better off using homeplugs, 2005 is long gone.

Indeed it is. Unfortunately, it appears that your knowledge is also well out of date, I suggest you check out the multimedia over coax alliance.

By the way, even 25Mb/s supports UHD TV, so what's the problem?

@OP you would be better off talking to someone with a good technical background, who could advise you. There is simply too much contradictory, and plain wrong, advice on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Indeed it is. Unfortunately, it appears that your knowledge is also well out of date, I suggest you check out the multimedia over coax alliance.

By the way, even 25Mb/s supports UHD TV, so what's the problem?

@OP you would be better off talking to someone with a good technical background, who could advise you. There is simply too much contradictory, and plain wrong, advice on this thread.

Pays for he top package from ISP. Chops it at the knees at the door to your home. Top work.

listermint wrote: »
    Pays for he top package from ISP. Chops it at the knees at the door to your home. Top work.

OMG - just read the link I posted or look at the chart:

http://www.mocalliance.org/technology/MoCA-Profiles-Chart-2020v1019BvMoCASec.png

OMG - just read the link I posted or look at the chart:

http://www.mocalliance.org/technology/MoCA-Profiles-Chart-2020v1019BvMoCASec.png

OMG..... Enough said...

OMG..... Enough said...

So, you accept that you can provide high bandwidth connectivity, in the home, using coax. Good!

So, you accept that you can provide high bandwidth connectivity, in the home, using coax. Good!

Can someone make it stop....please???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Folks the current MOCA 2.0 bonded adapters can carry 800mbs, if the OP really wants to use the coax cabling then they will be more than adequate.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-Adapter-Ethernet-Bonded-MM1000/dp/B077Y3SQXR

also id ask the developer if they ran any ethernet cable when doing the coax runs around the house, youd never know you might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

This was asked by op on another thread I explained the where what and why the thread went dead and now a repost.
    I have seen a ducted new build home for ftth this week less than 6 months old. the duct at etu went... 2 feet to one of those blank plates on other side of sitting room wall behind the sitting room door as you come into the room. Not ideally the best place for it but no drilling
    Not saying all homes are this way just saying developers can say yes we did get these homes ftth ready with ducting. Checked utility room no ducts just a bundle of cat5 cables and coax along with alarm cables dangling from cieling

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

Just a follow up to this:

I eventually got sorted. They were able to use the ducting but since there was no plugs near enough to it, a line was run outside from the duct and entered the living room. I got around the need for internal ethernet cable by using a powerline adapter from the router/modem to the tv box and works fine. Overall, I'm happy enough as things are tidy and I avoided cables being run around the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just a follow up to this:

I eventually got sorted. They were able to use the ducting but since there was no plugs near enough to it, a line was run outside from the duct and entered the living room. I got around the need for internal ethernet cable by using a powerline adapter from the router/modem to the tv box and works fine. Overall, I'm happy enough as things are tidy and I avoided cables being run around the room.

good stuff glad you got sorted. hopefully your neighbours will benefit from the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dont want to start a new thread, but just wondering if anyone can help me understand the process of getting broadband in first time to a new build. Moved in August 2019, no wired internet (as in we can get 4g mobile broadband), and in same position now. Lines did go in just before Christmas, so wondering does anyone know a timeline on when we might be set up for wired internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mushy wrote: »
    Lines did go in just before Christmas, so wondering does anyone know a timeline on when we might be set up for wired internet?

Who installed the lines, SIRO/eir/NBI?

The Cush wrote: »

KN Networks who do Eir I believe (could do more, I'm only going off a picture in WhatsApp)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mushy wrote: »
    KN Networks who do Eir I believe

They're a contractor used by the networks.

They're a contractor used by the networks.

Yeah they actually came out to us when we first moved in to set us up for broadband and phone, that's when found out about the lack of broadband lines (eir sales person clearly didnt care whether it was available or not). But was them who were out installing whatever was needed to get the houses connected up properly. Checking Vodafone daily to see if its available by now

Found out today that OpenEir were doing some work a few weeks back, speed tests apparently. Would anyone have any experience of how long it would take from that point to consumer availability?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Check availability status here:
    https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Aaron1416

Just moved into a new build in an estate of 9 other houses. Had tried to order fibre but when engineer from vodafone came out, I wasn’t home for the visit so not sure if it was Circet but reported “no infrastructure in place for fibre”

next day Circet arrive out and now we have these cables brought to outside the property. Can anyone confirm if this is the fibre line and I just have to request the install again ? Thanks

when I ring virgin media they say the house isn’t on their “system” yet

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, those are fibre cables for FTTH.

Though I’m not sure what the story with your order is, I’d contact Vodafone and check what the status of the order is.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Aaron1416

had engineer out now from both vodafone and EIR (same company) both confirmed that cabling and ducting is virgin media and they can’t use same. Rang Virgin media and they said house isn’t live on their system even with everything present….

Disappointing

Advertisement