Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build house: not wired for fibre to the home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

Why do you need a cable to the tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

The OP has two threads going across different forums and I'm still not sure what is going on. All I know is that an installer didn't use a roped duct to the ETU on the premises. You'd have to ask why, when that would be the normal route of installation

My suspicion is either the ETU and duct does not lead to the distribution point location or perhaps there was no power for the ONT on the interior wall behind the ETU.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

jt69er wrote: »
    Why do you need a cable to the tv?

Vodafone and Eir tv use the broadband connection for their tv. A cable would be required to connect these two.

fungie wrote: »
    Vodafone and Eir tv use the broadband connection for their tv. A cable would be required to connect these two.

That is an ethernet cable, not a fibre cable.

NBAiii wrote: »
    The OP has two threads going across different forums and I'm still not sure what is going on. All I know is that an installer didn't use a roped duct to the ETU on the premises. You'd have to ask why, when that would be the normal route of installation

My suspicion is either the ETU and duct does not lead to the distribution point location oe perhaps there was no power for the ONT on the interior wall behind the ETU.

Agreed, it's gone a bit messy.

There is no interior wall behind the ETU (assuming the ETU is the "Eir" box outside)

• Advertisement

That is an ethernet cable, not a fibre cable.

The type of cable is irrelevant. It's still an eyesore.

Agreed, it's gone a bit messy.

There is no interior wall behind the ETU (assuming the ETU is the "Eir" box outside)

It is. What is behind it?

Can you could perhaps try to outline what you expected would happen? Start from the outside as in where the cable was coming from and where you expected it to go.

It is. What is behind it?

Can you could perhaps try to outline what you expected would happen? Start from the outside as in where the cable was coming from and where you expected it to go.

I expected a no nonsense broadband installation to my less than 1 year old house. It has the required components to do so without additional drilling or cabling, as verified by the developer today, when they called over.

I expected a no nonsense broadband installation to my less than 1 year old house. It has the required components to do so without additional drilling or cabling, as verified by the developer today, when they called over.

I've tried to help. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

The type of cable is irrelevant. It's still an eyesore.

Run it up along the ceiling joint. Bit of moulding/soffit board etc and it's out of sight forever. The ethernet cable is plug in. When you switch provider just plug out the end and switch to new equipment. No need to be awkward just to be awkward.

• Advertisement

I've tried to help. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Good luck.

I never claimed to know what I'm talking about. I'm just applying common sense that the house is new, therefore should be equipped to handle a broadband installation. Something the developers have verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

I never claimed to know what I'm talking about. I'm just applying common sense that the house is new, therefore should be equipped to handle a broadband installation. Something the developers have verified.

From KNs point of view, their job is to get it inside the 4 walls of your house. After that it’s your problem.

Run it up along the ceiling joint. Bit of moulding/soffit board etc and it's out of sight forever. The ethernet cable is plug in. When you switch provider just plug out the end and switch to new equipment. No need to be awkward just to be awkward.

If I understand you correctly, unfortunately, due to the orientation of the room, this is isn't possible.

glack wrote: »
    From KNs point of view, their job is to get it inside the 4 walls of your house. After that it’s your problem.

That seems to be the case alright but they should be made to do it in the least invasive way possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Do you have cat 5e/6 run all around the house with ports on the walls for connections?

jd wrote: »
    Do you have cat 5e/6 run all around the house with ports on the walls for connections?

I've no idea what kind of cables run around the house being honest. There are several points around the place, but no idea what is behind them. I've attached a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

I've no idea what kind of cables run around the house being honest. There are several points around the place, but no idea what is behind them. I've attached a pic.

You wont get a meaningful response unless you unscrew that plate and post a picture of what's behind it.

dam099 wrote: »
    You wont get a meaningful response unless you unscrew that plate and post a picture of what's behind it.

I'll do it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Right heres the long and short of it.

YOU need to get ethernet cable run from whatever Peripherals (TV) you want to use it on , to the location of entry of the cable / fiber modem. That is on you, Unsightly or not its your issue to handle.

KNs job is solely to get their Cable / Fibre through the envelope of your wall inside the the building without going further. The Modem needs power too.

So if there was no power on the other side of that entry point then its not viable. If there was sockets on the wall just inside where they were proposing drilling the wall then that location is viable.

If you want it ran through the entry point then provide power to it, and ethernet to it from your peripherals.

Note - The Age of your house has no bearing on any of the above. 1 year old / 15 year old . doesnt matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭NewClareman

jd wrote: »
    listermint wrote: »
    Right heres the long and short of it.

YOU need to get ethernet cable run from whatever Peripherals (TV) you want to use it on , to the location of entry of the cable / fiber modem. That is on you, Unsightly or not its your issue to handle.

@OP

If it were me I'd only consider running ethernet cable as a last resort. The vast majority of 'Peripherals' will work fine with WiFi or, at worst, HomePLugs. (HomePlugs allow you to extend the broadband using the mains.) I use HomePlugs without issue for Netflix. I also know with certainty that at least one of the TV suppliers mentioned tested their service with HomePlugs. If they don't work in your particular case then you could consider upgrading your wifi system. There are lots of threads on how to do this.

Even if the above approaches don't work, which is unlikely, you don't need cabling all around the house. You need a single cable run from the ONT to the tv. This cable is much smaller than a coaxial cable. In my case, I ran it behind skirting when I got solid floors fitted.
    KNs job is solely to get their Cable / Fibre through the envelope of your wall inside the the building without going further. The Modem needs power too.

So if there was no power on the other side of that entry point then its not viable.

If lack of a mains socket was the issue then that should have been pointed out to the op. He then had the option of getting a socket installed and could, if necessary, have used an extension lead to allow the line be commissioned.
    The installer/technician should of course have pointed out the limitations of using that access point and that a means of connecting to the tv was required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Don’t use homeplugs , it is waste of time , they unreliable, won’t provide high speeds and most important they bad for the environment.
    They creates such a HUGE radio interference around the area I think I would shot the person who made them legal :)
    Any amateur radio hobbyist would agree with me .

alec76 wrote: »
    Don’t use homeplugs , it is waste of time , they unreliable, won’t provide high speeds and most important they bad for the environment.
    They creates such a HUGE radio interference around the area I think I would shot the person who made them legal :)
    Any amateur radio hobbyist would agree with me .

They are very reliable, provide perfectly adequate speeds and are not a HUGE source of RFI. I suggest you inform yourself about the latest versions of this technology before posting this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They are very reliable, provide perfectly adequate speeds and are not a HUGE source of RFI. I suggest you inform yourself about the latest versions of this technology before posting this nonsense.

They're ****e, they're used by people who are looking for a handy option.

Not people who are interested in real speeds.

For a man so vocal about broadband and connection and super vocal about the likes of starlink to reduce yourself to sending your internet around your home via the electrical copper cable.

It's gas.

Homeplugs....

Gas.

I suggest you inform yourself about the latest versions of this technology before posting this nonsense.
    This technology is already dead , don’t mind the latest version... With gigabit broadband packages became common ,power line adapters couldn’t reach any decent speeds and reliability very questionable.

Mesh systems with the Ethernet/AC/AX Backhaul trending last couple years , power line adapters almost like cave ages now.

This technology is already dead , don’t mind the latest version... With gigabit broadband packages became common ,power line adapters couldn’t reach any decent speeds and reliability very questionable.

Mesh systems trending last couple years , power line adapters almost like cave ages now.

So we agree then, Ethernet cables are not required.

So we agree then, Ethernet cables are not required.

Ethernet still required for the Backhaul, cheapest options to get gigabit speeds across the mesh system.
    You could buy ORBI RBK852 with AX Backhaul of course... If you willing to spend almost €1k for it.

Ethernet still required for the Backhaul, cheapest options to get gigabit speeds across the mesh system.
    You could buy ORBI RBK852 with AX Backhaul of course... If you willing to spend almost €1k for it.

I'm referring to the OP's requirement...

What's all this focus on real speeds about?
    • Are they sufficient to support the vast majority of students and homeworkers? (Yes)
    • Are they suitable for most homeworkers in high tech industries? (Yes)
    • Will HomePlugs allow the OP to access TV and other content without having to Gunter their house? (Yes)

In the real world the most demanding streaming requirement is generally watching TV, or films. If watching HD TV, 5Mbps is required, going up to 25-40Mbps for live sports in UHD. That's it.

Where high speed broadband comes in is where multiple users are doing such activities simultaneously. The reality is that most of those users wiil be in different locations or connected using WiFi.

I'm not suggesting that HomePlugs will meet every domestic need. I can only think of two, offhand: competitive gaming and downloading films/tv programs in a few seconds. Ask yourself this: can you watch that film in a few seconds? Of course not. It really doesn't matter how long the download takes, once you can start watching immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For a man so vocal about broadband and connection and super vocal about the likes of starlink to reduce yourself to sending your internet around your home via the electrical copper cable.

It's gas.

Homeplugs....

Gas.

Im with Clareman.

140Mb tPut through EoP is plenty, and Im a power user. Sometimes you just aren't able to drill.

• Advertisement

dam099 wrote: »

Picture of what's behind.

Advertisement