Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirPods Max

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭whippet

I've had a busy morning and used them quite a bit for calls ... really good for mobile calls and Siri seems to work far better. I also had a few teams calls but i'm not a big fan of big headphones when on video calls - much prefer using the computer audio and mic.

I was out and about walking with them yesterday evening and they say nicely on the head - the headband is more comfortable and the padding on the ear cups are far superior to the usual type of padding that generates sweat almost instantly.

I haven't tested battery life yet ... but so far so good ... are they worth the €620 ... i'm still not sure but lets see.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is this a real issue? Coming from a channel I don't really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

murpho999 wrote: »

Is this a real issue? Coming for a channel I don't really like.

I had to laugh when he said there could be a danger to people from the electronics shorting out. As much danger as sticking your tongue across the contacts of a fresh 9v battery - less, because the voltage is half that.

Can that mesh on the headband be removed and washed? If not, it's going to look a ghastly yellow brown colour from hair grease. I have a pair of Oakley wires, and that's what happens to the unobtainium ear socks, which thankfully can be easily removed and washed or it can even be done leaving them in-situ.

I'd be beyond surprised if the sound quality from these was even close to my in-ear wired phones, or my 1993 vintage Sony folding headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Is this a real issue? Coming for a channel I don't really like.

Apple should add "Ear air conditioning" as a stated feature.

Apple should add "Ear air conditioning" as a stated feature.

They woud have to first come up with some clever marketing term, like EarFlow, to make it seem it was a revoutionary new idea that cost millions to develop, which no one else had previously thought of, and which justified the price you were expected to pay.

• Advertisement

I’ve just been out for a brisk 90 min walk on the beach ... no condensation inside the cups for me

It's an interesting phenomenon worth hearing more about, and who knows maybe it could be an issue. But despite that YouTube guy's protestation that it's not clickbait, he certainly seems to be over-egging it in terms of his analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's an interesting phenomenon worth hearing more about, and who knows maybe it could be an issue. But despite that YouTube guy's protestation that it's not clickbait, he certainly seems to be over-egging it in terms of his analysis.

Yes, he does that all the time.

Any opportunity to criticise an Apple product he used it all the time and then makes a big deal out of a small issue.

He's trying to make out that this problem is a product wide one and should be recalled, when he doesn't really know if it's a problem at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

whippet wrote: »
    I’ve just been out for a brisk 90 min walk on the beach ... no condensation inside the cups for me

Fancy ordering me a pair from your source? 🙈🙈

eeloe wrote: »
    Fancy ordering me a pair from your source? ����

if I could get more i'd probably be able to flip them for a nice profit on ebay !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yes, he does that all the time.

Any opportunity to criticise an Apple product he used it all the time and then makes a big deal out of a small issue.

He's trying to make out that this problem is a product wide one and should be recalled, when he doesn't really know if it's a problem at all.

there's always a 'gate' when it comes to apple products (some are warranted, others are not), antennagate (iPhone 4), bendgate (iPhone 6), hissgate (iPhone 7), crackle gate (AirPods Pro).

since YouTube has become much more popular and accessible there's a rush to "be first" with these things for the views and the ad revenue that comes with it so any little thing will have a 5 minute video on it.

With regards to condensation gate (I'm sorry :pac:) this will probably turn out to be a non issue for the majority of wearers and probably only an issue for hotter climates and for people with longer/messier hair.

What Apple will do is silently offer replacements to people who experience this issue (i.e. anyone who rings Apple Support), check to see if there is an actual design flaw that can be fixed somewhat easily and fix it silently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

my order was supposed to ship in march has just shipped today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Friends shipping theirs back after a week of usage. Battery issues.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

peteeeed wrote: »
    my order was supposed to ship in march has just shipped today

Nice to see shipping times improve.

eeloe wrote: »
    Nice to see shipping times improve.

Tell my debit card haha

Just arrived :)

I was out walking yesterday and I did notice the cans get very cold !! my ears were actually quite cold under them

ive been out and about , noise cancelling is great , a transit van was right beside me going past and i turned on the noise cancelling and the engine noise totally went away , the button to switch is excellent also ive had noise cancelling headphones and there is always a slight hiss when its turned on , there is none with these
    sound is great , i listen mainly to electronic & hip hop , great big sound out of them , they are also not as big as they look in pictures and youtube videos , i got the space grey which look great
    the build is really sturdy and adjusting them to the right fit really feels like they will never move on their own
    if you are playing anything on them they will stop as soon as you take them off/reset them on your neck and start back up once you place them on your ears
    i love them

the one downside is what has been discussed everywhere , the case is not really a case , flimsy and pointless

the one downside is what has been discussed everywhere , the case is not really a case , flimsy and pointless

The first 3rd party case is available.

https://www.sfbags.com/products/airpods-max-shield-case

Bit pricy at $89 or $99, but I assume once the Chinese get in on the act, there'll be reasonably priced ones on the market.

The first 3rd party case is available.

https://www.sfbags.com/products/airpods-max-shield-case

Bit pricy at $89 or $99, but I assume once the Chinese get in on the act, there'll be reasonably priced ones on the market.

as there's no charging in the case itself as long as any 3rd party case leaves space for the lightning connector to get through , anything is better than the apple supplied one . anything hard shell would be perfect

• Advertisement

as there's no charging in the case itself as long as any 3rd party case leave space for the lightning connector to get through , anything is better than the apple supplied one . anything hard shell would be perfect

Yeah, and I think it's just a properly positioned magnet that puts them into low power sleep mode, so that shouldn't be hard to implement.

just had a go with the spatial audio on my apple tv watching Tenet . really impressive , really clear and gunshots going off all round me

just had a go with the spatial audio on my apple tv watching Tenet . really impressive , really clear and gunshots going off all round me

How do I know if a show has spatial audio ... or is that a stupid question ?

How do I know if a show has spatial audio ... or is that a stupid question ?

i think its anything in 5.1, 7.1, Dolby Atmos
    actually i just looked up that spatial audio is only available on iPhone or iPad , i'm a dummy i've was just enjoying good sound apparently :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea Spatial Audio is an Apple thing, it's not a standard, so will only work on Apple Devices.

Except bizarrely it doesn't work with Apple TV, cause sure why would you want spacial audio with your TV? :rolleyes:

awec wrote: »
    Yea Spatial Audio is an Apple thing, it's not a standard, so will only work on Apple Devices.

Except bizarrely it doesn't work with Apple TV, cause sure why would you want spacial audio with your TV? :rolleyes:

Apple's got to have some excuse to make you buy the next ATV. There is nothing new here that I can see, it's just soundfield panning, something games have had for a very long time and VR has had for years.

on another note - my airpod pro's developed that rattling sound in the right bud .... I logged a support ticket via chat yesterday at about 3pm and UPS just arrived at my door with the replacement unit

Do any of the other major tech companies have turnaround times like that on consumer goods ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

on another note - my airpod pro's developed that rattling sound in the right bud .... I logged a support ticket via chat yesterday at about 3pm and UPS just arrived at my door with the replacement unit

Do any of the other major tech companies have turnaround times like that on consumer goods ?
    Maybe amazon, but they have such a huge inventory that it's much much harder. Apple with a much more limited inventory can do it much much quicker

It's quite something. I had a regular AirPod that wouldn't connect last year, still within warranty. Got on to support one evening and had a courier at my door the next day at midday with a replacement. He also had a box to collect the defective one there and then. Completely hassle free.

• Advertisement

It's quite something. I had a regular AirPod that wouldn't connect last year, still within warranty. Got on to support one evening and had a courier at my door the next day at midday with a replacement. He also had a box to collect the defective one there and then. Completely hassle free.

They are not always so obliging. I had the cable on my MBPR fall apart after about 16 months:

MBPR-Power-cable.jpg

When I rang to ask for a replacement power brick, they said it was outside the 12 month warranty and refused. I said we are in the EU and 2 years is the minimum and they still refused. I said I would take them to the small claims court and asked to speak with a supervisor. To even get that far they made me pay for a support call due to it being out of 'their' warranty. They made me pay €80 for a new power brick and then sent me a replacement, because they wanted the original returned. The money was a hostage. The replacement arrived about a week later and I sent back the defective one and two weeks or so after that they refunded me the cost of the support call and the €80, so all was good in the end, but the experience was'nt great.

The replacement cable went the same way about 18 months later, but was now past the EU warranty.

Advertisement