Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirPods Max

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I'm a sucker for all things mac ... but I couldn't come close to justifying that

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Wow, just wow.

I was fully on board with AirPods train back in 2016 but christ that price I can buy two pairs of the Sony's XM4's

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

Not sure about the design. But looks like they used parts from the watch, like the Digital Crown ?

Also what the hell is this, looks like a padded bra :eek:
    apple_airpods-max_smart-case-blue_12082020_big.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

You’d have to be delusional to pay that money for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

lightning connection - so no wireless charging.

I have the AirPods pro - love them ... for over ear I have the Surface Headphone which I thought were pricey at half the price of these.

I can't get my head around the crown from the watch ... that just seems lazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Wow, can’t justify the price of them. They probably do sound amazing but my AirPod Pros are perfect.

drogon. wrote: »
    Not sure about the design. But looks like they used parts from the watch, like the Digital Crown ?

And the fabric mesh is straight from a home pod. they look super comfortable to be fair and probably sound and work like a dream. but 619 euros no way.

* I'll fully expect I'll buy these when I start travelling again though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They'd want to listen to music for you while you're doing other things for that price.

I won't lie, the VERY same thought crossed my mind... but I will do everything to make myself believe that my Bose are sufficient.

**I have made many delusional purchases in my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭turfthrower

The price of these would take you pretty much anywhere in the world, certainly three quarters of the way there.

That aside, they look great, and I'm sure they sound great. But I'd feel grubby paying that much money for them.

• Advertisement

The price of these would take you pretty much anywhere in the world, certainly three quarters of the way there.

I don't pay for my travel, however I did regularly spend 10-15 hour flights with old - falling apart - QC25's and would be doing flights like this every 4-6 weeks so if these are significantly better than the rest they'll be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Crazy price and ridiculous looking recessed headband.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

No doubt they probably will be a great sounding and solid product. But that price has outpriced the majority of interested buyers I’d imagine.

At half the price or around €300-€350 I could see people picking a set up, but not at the current RRP.

Similar to the HomePod, I’d say most people will wait for the mini version :p

Crazy price and ridiculous looking recessed headband.

Funny, I think that looks quite smart. But to each their own. Obviously, the key question is the audio quality followed very closely by how comfortable they are to wear for extended periods.

And I agree with the person who said a price tag of 300 to 350 would have swung it for me. That would still be the most expensive set of headphones I'd have ever bought. 620 is out of the question sadly.

I think the headband looks fine, but I don't like the look of the cans themselves. They look like the case something goes into, rather than the thing itself. Buttons and a digital crown are weird choices - I would have thought all that blank surface would be touch sensitive and respond to gestures.

€620 is a crazy price. I spent €350 on Bose QC 35s that are still going strong (and you can get them cheaper now). That's my absolute max if I was in the market for a replacement. I'm sure they sound great and are very comfortable, but a pair of QC35s or Sony WH-1000XM3s and a pair of AirPod Pros gets you a lot more for a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

whippet wrote: »

I can't get my head around the crown from the watch ... that just seems lazy

I’d be willing to bet good money that’s not what they originally wanted for the product. Unlike lightning, I mean ffs get rid of it for USB-C, they’re planning on getting rid of it for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I like the look, wonder what the reviews will be like but wowsers thats expensive

The more I look at them, the more the carry case or whatever it is makes it look like a weird handbag.

My gut tells me, especially with the price point. Apple is aiming for this to be a fashion statement, similar to beats being worn around the neck years ago. I still can't get over the case for it, looks like a padded bra :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't pay for my travel, however I did regularly spend 10-15 hour flights with old - falling apart - QC25's and would be doing flights like this every 4-6 weeks so if these are significantly better than the rest they'll be worth it.

There isn't a planet they can sound significantly better than the bose or Sony equivalent.

Not a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,299 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

drogon. wrote: »
    My gut tells me, especially with the price point. Apple is aiming for this to be a fashion statement, similar to beats being worn around the neck years ago. I still can't get over the case for it, looks like a padded bra :pac:

Yes I can see a host of footballers and celebs who will be comped them being pictured wearing them just like Beats years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the weight

The AirPods Max 385g
    Sony WH-1000XM4 are 254g

thats a big difference

The specs are crazy though, over engineered as usual by Apple. Has 2 H1 chips !

https://www.apple.com/ie/airpods-max/specs/
    Optical sensor (each ear cup)
    Position sensor (each ear cup)
    Case-detect sensor (each ear cup)
    Accelerometer (each ear cup)
    Gyroscope (left ear cup)

Nine microphones in total:
    Eight microphones for Active Noise Cancellation
    Three microphones for voice pickup (two shared with Active Noise Cancellation and one additional microphone)

Apple H1 headphone chip (each ear cup)

listermint wrote: »
    There isn't a planet they can sound significantly better than the bose or Sony equivalent.

Not a hope.

I bet money on it the reviews will say different in the coming weeks but will caveat a purchase of these due to their price.

i.e. they'll sound as good if not better but do they sound twice as good as they're twice the price? no.

Dolby Atmos is one thing they have that their rivals don’t. But that’s only going to be an advantage listening to movies that have it, and won’t be any benefit when streaming music or podcasts. Plus it’s available in the AirPod Pros for much less. So I don’t know if it’s going to be enough for people to spend the premium on (it isn’t for me).

(Also, I don’t know how successful Atmos is on the APPs.)

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yeah not doubting these are going to sound good, but the price point is bonkers.

I think HomePod Mini sounds good and the main HomePod sounds fantastic. Obviously Apple has invested heavily in its audio department and I think it's probably a given that these will sound amazing.

But as others have pointed out, there's gonna be a big Apple tax on these. It doesn't cost 620 euro to purchase great sounding headphones. It costs half that. So what's the money buying you? Okay, it buys you into the Apple ecosystem and maybe that's worth an extra 50 euro or so. Maybe.

But that's still 270 euro of value that's missing. Where's that going?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,865 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

**** i've been waiting for this because I hate in earbuds but the pricing is crazy and I can justify that

Can anyone advice a better alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Headshot wrote: »
    **** i've been waiting for this because I hate in earbuds but the pricing is crazy and I can justify that

Can anyone advice a better alternative?

Bose QC35s seem to be the way to go

I have the Bose QC35 (first gen, not the newer ii model) and they’re excellent. On any business flight, you’ll see all the frequent fliers wearing them. That’s simply because they’re exceptionally comfortable, sound great and the noise cancelling is second to none.

Sony WH-1000XM4 would be another very worthy choice.

I am very interested in seeing the reviews of the AirPod Max, though. Just to see if there’s anything that could even remotely justify the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,865 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bose QC35s seem to be the way to go

I presume you can use Siri with them ya?

Advertisement