Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need to make some serious changes in my life, I need advice

Options
  • 06-12-2020 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm going to try and cut the sh*t, I'm not where I want to be in life and I'm the sole cause, I've been given each and every opportunity and frankly I just haven't seized them.

From the outside it looks fine, I'm in college and as far as anyone can tell all is well.

I hate college, it's been the biggest mistake of my life, a close second is going back.

Long story short I got into my first choice course, a business degree.
    Didn't care for it, found that 80% of it was maths, stats, econ, accounting and I hate(d) them all equally.
    So I wasted some time but ultimately I dropped out.

I went working with my uncle who's a carpenter by trade for a brief while and I thought to myself 'yeah the trades seem like a good shout'.
    I thought I'd be slick and go into an electrician apprenticeship with a large industrial outfit, in my head I was thinking; it pays more, it's more technical, more routes for advancement, respectable etc..
    I knew from day 1 it wasn't for me but I stayed with it for 4 months to say I at least tried, I left after the trail period when i was asked to sign up.

I had notions of going back to Uni for engineering (somehow forgetting my distain for maths), It seemed like I copped on at the last second and decided I'd make another go at a business degree, but this time in a different college with less of the stuff I hated.

Honestly I made it through 2nd year because it was easy, I haven't studied for a test in my life, the second a module pops up that I find difficult I'm screwed because I genuinely can't study, I don't have the attention span for it.
    I never have and I'm starting to realise and accept that college just isn't for me, there's nothing beyond the booze and the women that I've enjoyed, it taken me far too long to realise that college isn't for me.

I won't be continuing, I'll either drop out after Christmas or I just won't go onto the following year, I have zero interest and I don't think I'll ever use it.
    I'm only in it to keep my (lovely) parents happy and to at least feel like I'm 'working' towards something while doing sweet f*ck all.

I think that learning a trade or a skill is still my best option, but it certainly won't be as an electrician.

I like working with my hands, I like seeing a finished product, I have a great eye for detail (noticing tiles aren't centred, doors are crooked, handles aren't on straight etc.).
    I have zero intentions of spending the rest of my life in an office.
    I know that's not the only route from a business degree but sales doesn't really interest me, and I have absolutely no intention of pursing any further education, plus I'd be lucky to scrape a 2.1 - and it certainly wouldn't be due to any effort on my part.
    I have an exam tomorrow morning - I have absolutely no interest.

I think I just need to pick something, stick at it, graft and shut up.

My end goal has always been entrepreneurship, I want to own my own business.
    I know that much at least, you could argue that I'm not fit for it and I'd say I honestly don't care, I've always wanted to start my own company and grow it into something impressive and successful, that's what I strive towards, that's what keeps me up at night - thinking how will I get to that.

I'm becoming a fan of Jordan Peterson (leaving aside the political stuff), he talks a lot about responsibility and I feel that's what I need, essentially a kick up the hole and a tear in my safety net.

I think I've brought all of this on myself, I've grown up comfortably and I haven't pushed myself in any real way, I know I need to start doing that for my own sake.
    I want to start.
    I'm not dreadfully unhappy but I'm not in any way fulfilled, I'm restless and p*ssed off at myself, I'm doing nothing I'm actually proud of, I'm getting no closer to where I want to be. I'm essentially a waste of space, I need to really cop on.

Here's what I think I need to do.
    Get out of college,
    Get into a trade, something I get satisfaction from, or that I can see myself enjoying once qualified, I'm expecting to deal with **** as an apprentice, that's just a given but I just don't want to dread waking up in the morning..

I just hope I get in with someone who's sound, I'd go with my uncle but he's over an hours drive away and work can be further afield again, I'm still considering it though, is the driving worth it to work with someone who I know and get on with?
    If I could afford to I'd commute for a year and move down as a 2nd year apprentice.. I could possibly live with his family but I don't know if they want that, I just know I'd like to work with him.

Beyond that I just need to graft, put my head down and just work, stop looking for the next best thing and just accept where I am.. I need to pick my limitations, I've seen nothing but limitless opportunities but that's useless unless I pick one.

From there it's a case of finishing my 4 years and hopefully starting out on my own.

I'm just looking for advice, am I missing anything here?

-Get into something I like, work exceptionally hard (for once), stop looking for excuses, ways out and short cuts..

Why carpentry, why would I work hard at that and not college?
    I enjoy working with my hands, it's concrete, there's no kitchen there and then you build one piece by piece, your ability is measurable, it's not open for interpretation, it's satisfying, it's employable.

I'm just so sick of my current situation, beyond college it's not that bad, but it's not where I want to be in any sense of the word..

I'd appreciate some outside input.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Drewgerger

Life will be very tough for you if you don't have a degree you will be moving from job to job and be unemployed alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Drewgerger wrote: »
    Life will be very tough for you if you don't have a degree you will be moving from job to job and be unemployed alot

That's why I'm planning on getting a trade.

I really don't want to just aimlessly work minimum wage jobs, I want/need to feel like I'm progressing towards something.

A friend of mine works full time in McDonalds, he's happy out - that's not for me, not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

That’s a sweeping generalisation, and too broad to be in anyway meaningful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It sound like you’ve put a lot of thought into what you don’t want to do, rather than what you do want to do. That’s not a path to success.

You want to be an entrepreneur. First skill you’ll need - before any other - is to identify your vision and work through anything - literally anything - to get to it. Forget about disliking maths and dropping out. You’ll have to be willing to put the head down and work through much more unpleasant and tedious stuff to make it.

There’s no point in lying awake at night dreaming of future success, while you spend your days failing at what your doing right now. Success breeds success. You say you want to pick something and stick to it. Look at where you are. Pick your degree. It’s right there in front of you, you’re half way through it. Your plan is to give it up now and start something else (you don’t know what) that you will succeed at. That’s just kicking the can down the road.

Sure, college isn’t for everyone. And not everyone needs a degree. But it’s what you have right now, and a degree will never hold you back. If you were on here saying you wanted to drop out because you have some other concrete plan, I’d be saying “go for it”. But you don’t. So don’t. You’ve tried that already and it didn’t work.

You can change. You can focus and succeed. You can become an entrepreneur. But you won’t do any of that by quitting every time you find the going tough or boring. If you want to change, start now. Don’t be putting it off to your next endeavour. Get your degree and spend some time figuring out what it is you want to be an entrepreneur at, and use the success you achieve in college to springboard you to that once you have the vision clear in your head.

It sound like you’ve put a lot of thought into what you don’t want to do, rather than what you do want to do. That’s not a path to success.

You want to be an entrepreneur. First skill you’ll need - before any other - is to identify your vision and work through anything - literally anything - to get to it. Forget about disliking maths and dropping out. You’ll have to be willing to put the head down and work through much more unpleasant and tedious stuff to make it.

There’s no point in lying awake at night dreaming of future success, while you spend your days failing at what your doing right now. Success breeds success. You say you want to pick something and stick to it. Look at where you are. Pick your degree. It’s right there in front of you, you’re half way through it. Your plan is to give it up now and start something else (you don’t know what) that you will succeed at. That’s just kicking the can down the road.

Sure, college isn’t for everyone. And not everyone needs a degree. But it’s what you have right now, and a degree will never hold you back. If you were on here saying you wanted to drop out because you have some other concrete plan, I’d be saying “go for it”. But you don’t. So don’t.

You can change. You can focus and succeed. You can become an entrepreneur. But you won’t do any of that by quitting every time you find the going tough or boring. If you want to change, start now. Don’t be putting it off to your next endeavour. Get your degree and spend some time figuring out what it is you want to be an entrepreneur at, and use the success you achieve in college to springboard you to that once you have the vision clear in your head.

I've put a decent amount of thought into this because I honestly can't think of anything else.

I've put enough thought into it to know that college isn't for me.
    I've spent a lot of time thinking about what I want and beyond the general 'I want to own my own business' I've come up with nothing.
    I just know I like carpentry, I've enjoyed the time I've spent doing it, it's heavy work but I can live with it.

Maybe it won't be carpentry, but it certainly won't be college.

I've said this to my parents and naturally they're p*ssed about it, 'how do you know now? Why didn't you know 4 years ago when you started?" - I did, I just thought I'd get through it, its the done thing, it's the right track, but it's absolutely not for me.
    I've hated every minute I've wasted in college and I don't intend to waste anymore.

If I could take back the last 4 years of my life I would, or even if I just knew 4 years ago what college is like and what it entails - I wouldn't have wasted those 4 years.
    You could argue 'it's only a waste if you don't get your degree'.
    1 - There's no guarantee I'll get my degree or pass these modules I have zero interest in.
    2 - It's only useful if I use it - I have no intention of doing that.
    It's a scrap of paper, if I did somehow or for some reason get through and come out with a degree I'd throw it in the bin purely for the symbolism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

If you want to run your own successful business, a degree in business (accounting) is a good background to have.

Marketing
    Economics
    Accounting
    Payroll
    Tax
    Etc

Even if you go into a trade, and you have a plan to expand to become a bigger player, the understanding of the above will stand to you.

What I'm hearing from your post is an inability to commit and an inability to do what you don't want to do. That's not a criticism.... I'm guilty of both myself. I switched courses, moved around jobs, set up a business.

Like you I've always enjoyed working with my hands.... but on freezing cold days like today when I see guys building houses outdoors etc, I figure that it wasn't for me.

Have you got any career guidance advice or seeked out advice from parents/uncles/aunts ... even your college lecturers....?

There's nothing wrong with wanting a trade - just make sure its the right one for you before jumping into it.

MrMiata wrote: »

There's no guarantee I'll get my degree or pass these modules I have zero interest in.

It's a scrap of paper, if I did somehow or for some reason get through and come out with a degree I'd throw it in the bin purely for the symbolism.

In relation to the first statement..... every course I've ever done had modules I have had no interest in. Stats in marketing... and logistics now that I think of it. It didn't stop me getting my degree and then my Masters, which again had modules I had no interest in.

That's life. I'm sure carpentry has similar.

In relation to your second statement, it's a measure of work done over 3/4 years and it's an achievement...... it's a bit of a childish statement to make really.

When asked by a future employer 'how come you came to carpentry a bit late?' they might be more impressed hearing 'I wanted to get a good understanding of business before entering a trade so I got a business degree. I lost interest half way through and wanted to start carpentry earlier but I committed to getting my degree and I'm very proud of the achievement'

zoobizoo wrote: »
    If you want to run your own successful business, a degree in business (accounting) is a good background to have.

Marketing
    Economics
    Accounting
    Payroll
    Tax
    Etc

Even if you go into a trade, and you have a plan to expand to become a bigger player, the understanding of the above will stand to you.

What I'm hearing from your post is an inability to commit and an inability to do what you don't want to do. That's not a criticism.... I'm guilty of both myself. I switched courses, moved around jobs, set up a business.

Like you I've always enjoyed working with my hands.... but on freezing cold days like today when I see guys building houses outdoors etc, I figure that it wasn't for me.

Have you got any career guidance advice or seeked out advice from parents/uncles/aunts ... even your college lecturers....?

There's nothing wrong with wanting a trade - just make sure its the right one for you before jumping into it.

Ignoring everything else if I was being pragmatic and I was in my current situation, I'd go down the route of accounting because as you said - it'd really help.
    But I don't like accounting, not every successful entrepreneur has, some haven't even been able to do basic balance sheets - I can, but I'm not getting a degree in it.
    I'm not getting a degree, that's end of.

I've spoken to career guidance counsellors who recommended social care - Why?
    Not a clue, doesn't interest me, I told her that and she said 'consider it', I did, not for me.

Parents aren't helpful, aunties and uncles (beyond the carpenter), just waffle on about how college is the best time of your life and how their kids love it.
    Lectures I don't feel comfortable approaching, I don't know them.
    I'm sure they'd all say get your degree.
    For once I'm going with my own instincts - college isn't for me.
    I'm not going to torment myself any longer, I'm deeply unhappy in a college environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The first bit of advice I'd give you is check with your college, if you finish this year you might get some kind of cert or diploma for doing the three years (that's if I've read correctly that you're midway through third year?). No matter how much you dislike it or would prefer to be elsewhere, its definitely worth getting whatever certification and recognition you can for the work you've already put in.
    This bit stuck out for me 'the second a module pops up that I find difficult I'm screwed because I genuinely can't study, I don't have the attention span for it'. Any course you study or indeed job you do will have elements that you find difficult, or boring, or just hate for whatever reason. And that doesn't matter, you just have to get on with it. There is no such thing as the perfect course, or perfect job.
    Really though, fair play for thinking and trying to plan what you want to do with your future. Far too many people go on to college and university because its what everyone does, study something they have just a passing interest in, struggle on through and then look back on 4 wasted years at the end, with a degree that they have no interest in using, and this is a real killer when it comes to motivating yourself to figure out your next step.
    It does sound that business probably isn't for you. My advice would be to not quit your course until you know exactly what you you're going to do next. And you'd probably benefit from chatting with a career guidance counsellor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Is it a 3 year degree or 4 years?

Surely if it's 3 years, 6 more months won't kill you and at least you'll have it then. It's a starting point for a lot and will also stand to you.

If it's a 4 year degree, at least you'll have a diploma in 6 months. If you ever decide that you need a degree you can do the final year part time at night.

The next 6 months is still very unsure given covid etc and a lot of employers will be reluctant to take on staff. Yes, trades are a little different but there's no guarantee.

Running your own business will require far more willpower and commitment than finishing college. If you really don't know what you want to do, maybe just buckle down and finish something before you make a move. I know this isn't what you want to hear but it's still what I consider your best option. Also, there's nothing wrong with a 2.1 degree.

• Advertisement

MrMiata wrote: »
    I'm not getting a degree, that's end of.

I've spoken to career guidance counsellors who recommended social care - Why?

I'm not going to torment myself any longer, I'm deeply unhappy in a college environment.

Have you ever done anything entrepreneurial?

When I was 12 I brought fireworks back from holiday in France and sold then x 10 times the cost price to my friends.

I set up a few different small businesses in my 30s. My marketing background helped immensely and I've seen good businesses that I've worked for fall down in that departmentment as the owners think that they know everything.

When I closed my business, as it wasn't making enough money any more, I had my marketing masters to fall back on.

Did you ask the career person why she advised the social care course? Were you not curious?

It’s a 4 year.
    That’s my plan - I’d ideally come out after this year.
    The problem is that I’ve a couple exams this year (and continuous assessment modules I’ve already submitted but awaiting grades for) that I don’t know if I’ll pass.
    They’ve been horrible, if I fail I don’t think I’ll pass the repeats (especially the CA because I’ll have to do the same thing but without lecturer input/guidance).
    If I pass these exams, or if I’ve only got to repeat something I can see myself passing I’ll finish out the year.
    If not I won’t go into 2nd semester and throw away even more money..

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Have you ever done anything entrepreneurial?

When I was 12 I brought fireworks back from holiday in France and sold then x 10 times the cost price to my friends.

I set up a few different small businesses in my 30s. My marketing background helped immensely and I've seen good businesses that I've worked for fall down in that departmentment as the owners think that they know everything.

When I closed my business, as it wasn't making enough money any more, I had my marketing masters to fall back on.

Did you ask the career person why she advised the social care course? Were you not curious?

I have, I've bought and sold guitars for years, I've done the same with clothes (designer clothes), same with cars - Mx-5s.
    I've helped my father with his side business (phone repair), mainly with Facebook advertising and the likes, but that's his claim to fame, not mine.

I did ask her, she said it was because she said:
    I'd be good at dealing with the others, especially the varied bunch you'd meet in that line of work.
    I'm quite pragmatic and goal oriented, I like helping others and I'm good with stress.
    That seemed quite general though.. I certainly couldn't see myself as a social care worker, a lot of my friends are social care workers and that just doesn't seem like my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

You'll figure it out Op. Use your time to try things, experiment. Something will stick, you'll find your thing and forge your own path. The notion that you need a degree is absolute nonsense, and I have a degree. Long before education became the idol that it is in society people were forging their own paths in life. Some of the most successful people in the world will tell you that the idea you need a degree is a lie. Take your time to find out who you really are, it's worth it in the long run even though it may appear that others are passing you by. They're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

There seems to be a bit of a pattern of not doing enough research into something, discovering that it contains things you find difficult or boring, and then just bailing on it, and going for something completely different (or returning to something you had discounted as definitely not for you).

These are not traits that will stand to you if you genuinely want to set up your own business. You’ll need to be determined, and stick with something - whether it provides short term kicks or not. As another poster pointed out, developing your understanding of maths and accounting would be very much and advantage. I’m not saying that to be cruel, but it just seems like ‘entrepreneur’ is another under-researched blue sky idea.

Why do you want to set up your own business? Or is it a somewhat idealistic notion of “being an entrepreneur”. Like would you be happy with your own one man operation business?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

A friend of mine is a 3rd year apprentice carpenter, and is a little older coming towards 30. The guy he is doing the apprenticeship with is a fairly traditional guy doing a lot of the run of the mill stuff like kitchens and wardrobes. My friend is not particularly interested in that stuff but is picking up good skills and is doing a nice little trade doing custom bespoke furniture, high end stuff. His plan when he's finished the apprenticeship is to start his own bespoke furniture company.

I mention this as it's a way you could combine your enjoyment of carpentry and working with your hands with the challenge of running your own business. Doesn't have to be customer furniture, could be a different aspect of carpentry.

You're never too old to start an apprenticeship either. Even though the money is not great at the start, you're still earning and learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There definitely is a pattern here and if you don't learn from it you're doomed to repeat it unfortunately.

You started a college course and quit.

Then started a trade and quit.

Now you think your best option might be to quit your college course again and start a trade?

If that didn't work the first time, why do you think it will work this time?

I don't meant to be overly harsh by the way and you do seem to be noticing that you need to change your ways, but quitting what you're currently doing (again) because of some grand epiphany might not be the best course of action and just an easy way out of a situation you'rw currently finding difficult.

We all go through phases during courses where we think it's not for us, too difficult or that we made a mistake. Do remember that there were reasons you chose the course in the first place that seemed appealing at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

You sound like my brother, always had notions of making it big but never had the work ethic, he'd start something new and become frustrated that it's not happening quick enough and then either quit or be fired for making delusional demands beyond his position.

Soon it will come a time when this will really start affecting your life in terms of relationships and if you ever want to buy somewhere. The older women get they look for solidity and genuine ambition in a partner not someone who has a new flight of fancy every ten mins.

Nothing in life comes easy and you seem to want it that way, the minute anything becomes difficult you up and leave. Accepting you're not good studying Is just a cop out, very few people actually enjoy it and would prefer to be doing more fun activities but it's a means to an end and people persevere through it. "Its not for me" is a juvenile attitude you need to shake off if you ever want to do anything with your life.

qwerty13 wrote: »
    There seems to be a bit of a pattern of not doing enough research into something, discovering that it contains things you find difficult or boring, and then just bailing on it, and going for something completely different (or returning to something you had discounted as definitely not for you).

These are not traits that will stand to you if you genuinely want to set up your own business. You’ll need to be determined, and stick with something - whether it provides short term kicks or not. As another poster pointed out, developing your understanding of maths and accounting would be very much and advantage. I’m not saying that to be cruel, but it just seems like ‘entrepreneur’ is another under-researched blue sky idea.

Why do you want to set up your own business? Or is it a somewhat idealistic notion of “being an entrepreneur”. Like would you be happy with your own one man operation business?

I wouldn't say I've returned (or am about to return) to anything I already discounted.
    I wrote off the idea of an electrician apprenticeship, but not all apprenticeships.
    I wrote off that college course, but when I found a business degree with far less maths based elements I thought that was a real goer..

Now I'm realising a 4 year college degree just is not what I want.

I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur, the people who I respect and admire are all entrepreneurs.
    If not entrepreneurship then I don't know why I'm doing anything, that's the only concrete idea I've had through all this sh*t, it's the end goal.
    I want to work for myself, I'd be happy with a one man operation but I'd want to expand, I wouldn't be outright content.
    I want to run a business.
    I aspire to be like the Comer brothers in the sense that they went from plastering to incredibly successful property developers.

I've always said that to my parents, if I started selling cars, I'd want to be bigger than Colm Quinn, if I was building kitchens I'd want to be bigger than Cash & Carry.
    I like/need to be kept busy, I don't switch off, I want to work towards that level of success, frankly I'd like the nice cars and big houses, but that's a tiny justification for putting in that amount of work.
    I've thought to myself 'what would make you happy', and that's the answer, not the cars, but the success, building something from nothing and having it succeed.
    I've failed all my life, I'm comfortable with it, if it collapses I'll build it up again, I won't be turning around looking for my college degree to pick me up.

TheadoreT wrote: »
    You sound like my brother, always had notions of making it big but never had the work ethic, he'd start something new and become frustrated that it's not happening quick enough and then either quit or be fired for making delusional demands beyond his position.

Soon it will come a time when this will really start affecting your life in terms of relationships and if you ever want to buy somewhere. The older women get they look for solidity and genuine ambition in a partner not someone who has a new flight of fancy every ten mins.

Nothing in life comes easy and you seem to want it that way, the minute anything becomes difficult you up and leave. Accepting you're not good studying Is just a cop out, very few people actually enjoy it and would prefer to be doing more fun activities but it's a means to an end and people persevere through it. "Its not for me" is a juvenile attitude you need to shake off if you ever want to do anything with your life.

I agree (bar the disillusioned demands bit), that sounds like me.

That's why I want/need to cop on and learn what hard work really is.
    My genuine ambition is entrepreneurship/starting my own business.

That being said - I'm not continuing with or going back to college, I'm done flogging that dead horse, it won't get me anywhere, I need to go from where I am.
    That's why I'm looking at getting a trade/working construction.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    There definitely is a pattern here and if you don't learn from it you're doomed to repeat it unfortunately.

You started a college course and quit.

Then started a trade and quit.

Now you think your best option might be to quit your college course again and start a trade?

If that didn't work the first time, why do you think it will work this time?

I don't meant to be overly harsh by the way and you do seem to be noticing that you need to change your ways, but quitting what you're currently doing (again) because of some grand epiphany might not be the best course of action and just an easy way out of a situation you'rw currently finding difficult.

We all go through phases during courses where we think it's not for us, too difficult or that we made a mistake. Do remember that there were reasons you chose the course in the first place that seemed appealing at the time.

It'd be a different trade?

I think I was on the right track last time just in the wrong apprenticeship for me.

I know what you're saying but this isn't some grand epiphany, it's a long coming realisation.

Those reasons are dead and gone, I'm not disillusioned anymore (at least not with business degrees!).

It's hard to explain to a stranger, but trust me when I say college aint it.
    I'm far from an idiot so I'm not making an idiots mistake in continuing with something that's costing me money and wasting my time.
    If I could erase the last 4 years of my life I would, knowing the simple truth that college isn't for me I would have saved myself the worst 4 years of my life.
    There's nothing for me there, I've moved on.

I know what you're saying and honestly, thank you for taking the time to help.

My situation is I've buried the hatchet regarding college - so where do I go from here? Keeping those previously mentioned goals in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

As an apprentice (carpenter) you will be expected to pass exams both theory and practical.Back in my day 30years ago it was either 1 day a week in college for 3 years or a 3month stint each year for 3 years.Either way you need to pass your exams

mick121 wrote: »
    As an apprentice (carpenter) you will be expected to pass exams both theory and practical.Back in my day 30years ago it was either 1 day a week in college for 3 years or a 3month stint each year for 3 years.Either way you need to pass your exams

I know, I've spoken to a couple of people about them they've all said I should be fine with that/it's not overly difficult.
    In comparison when I was asking about the electricians exams I heard from multiple people how they failed elements and seriously struggled to scrape a pass.

I think it'd be more up my street than the exams I have in my bachelor of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Dropping out of several courses doesn't look great on a CV, I'd advise you to stick your current course out to the end.

How do you know you're going to enjoy entrepreneurship? If you start on that path and don't like it then what do you have to fall back on?

Also if you're looking to be an entrepreneur surely completing the business course is the way to go? I'd imagine there would be some form of entrepreneurship modules/electives which would give you a feel for it.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I don’t have a degree and have had 2 jobs in 23 years and I left the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I disagree with this completely. Allot of people with degrees are unemployed or moving from job to job. A degree is not going to fix your problems.
    If I was you I would get a trade, work in that for a couple of years, maybe go abroad working as a builder or carpenter then come back in a few years. At that stage if you want to go back to college, the option is always there if its something you can afford to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

XsApollo wrote: »
    I don’t have a degree and have had 2 jobs in 23 years and I left the first one.

Comparing things now to how they where 23 years ago is not a fair comparison. I wouldnt even compare now to 15 years ago. Young people starting out will find it more challenging to get employment with or without a degree and its not possible to walk into ant job, besides stacking shelves with only a leaving cert.

El Sueño wrote: »
    Dropping out of several courses doesn't look great on a CV, I'd advise you to stick your current course out to the end.

How do you know you're going to enjoy entrepreneurship? If you start on that path and don't like it then what do you have to fall back on?

Also if you're looking to be an entrepreneur surely completing the business course is the way to go? I'd imagine there would be some form of entrepreneurship modules/electives which would give you a feel for it.

Best of luck

Thank you.

I'm not going to change my mind regarding college - It's not for me.
    I trust myself to know that when I say - I regret ever going to college, I feel like I've wasted 4 years of my life on it and if I could I'd start over from the day I got my Leaving Cert results.
    There's nothing there for me, I'm done with that chapter of my life.

I also trust myself to know that entrepreneurship is for me, I can't live my life wondering 'what if it's not for me, what if I fail, then what?' - that gets me no where, doubt serves no purpose other than to push me towards what I feel is right.

I am trying to make changes in my life as I see fit.

I'm sick of living my life in fear.
    I'm terrified that I'll never amount to anything of value.
    That my best years are behind me.
    That I'll be riddled with regret.
    That I won't be happy for any substantial amount of time.
    That I'll disappoint my parents, and myself.

They're all real concerns and possibilities, but if I do nothing they're eventualities.

I need to treat myself like someone I am responsible for helping, not my own worst enemy.
    I need to pick a measurable, achievable goal - starting my own business.
    I need to get away from that child like notion that I can be whoever I want to be, that's useless unless you pick something to be.
    I need to stick at it and work hard, I know that's easier said than done.
    I need discipline and routine, I need goals and realistic ambitions.

I need to get out into the world.

I disagree with this completely. Allot of people with degrees are unemployed or moving from job to job. A degree is not going to fix your problems.
    If I was you I would get a trade, work in that for a couple of years, maybe go abroad working as a builder or carpenter then come back in a few years. At that stage if you want to go back to college, the option is always there if its something you can afford to do.

I've always loved the idea of moving to Canada, haven't a clue why but when every lad I knew was high-tailing it off to Aus, I was thinking 'if that was me, I'd go to Canada'.

That's what I'm thinking - Get a trade, go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭9db3xj7z41fs5u

Being an “entrepreneur” is an extremely tough route! It is not a case of watching the Social Network and thinking that will be me. It is a lot of rejection, hard-work (I wish that I could tell you the last time that I went to bed before midnight), uncertainty and bull****. You can put 3-4 years of your life in, with very little to show for it and no guarantees for the future. I am lucky enough to have a degree that will ensure that I have a job. I think that the uncertainty of being an entrepreneur without this fact would drive me insane. I know that I can pay my bills at the end of the month. People talk a good game. But the reality is very different! Get your degree and have your fall back plan. There is no easy route! However, hard work never feels bad when you are passionate about what you do. Finding that passion is key.

Advertisement