Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Just back from Lidl Shankill and no Guinness on the shelf I asked a member of staff and they brought them out from the back €20 a slab they are walking out the door and limit of 2 per customer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

went to lidi coolock plenty of stock 2 per customer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

casio4 wrote: »
    Just back from Lidl Shankill and no Guinness on the shelf I asked a member of staff and they brought them out from the back €20 a slab they are walking out the door and limit of 2 per customer

Plenty in Lidl Stillorgan, didn't see any limit signs.

Lidl Pottery Road €28 a slab of Guinness

I just asked the manager in Lidl why are the slabs different prices in different stores? she said they're not if you scan the slab it is €20 the discount is taken at the till. I can confirm this as the label on the shelf said €28 and I brought 2 slabs to the till and they each scanned at €20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭pedatron

Picked up 2 in Thurles. Stacked up in the middle of the aisle and marked at €20. Budweiser the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Loads in Cork, Carling, Guinness, Bud and Molston. 20 each.
    I got over charged by 55 euro at the till and had to go back in and get a refund.
    :(

18 Hop House was there too for 23 0r 20 I can't remember unless someone else can correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    St. Patrick banished the 470ml cans

LOL.. Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

Thanks OP

Picked up a few Slabs this evening, Guinness and Carlsberg, both marked up at €20..
    Also picked up a jameson 70cl for €20 (lidl)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

casio4 wrote: »
    I just asked the manager in Lidl why are the slabs different prices in different stores? she said they're not if you scan the slab it is €20 the discount is taken at the till. I can confirm this as the label on the shelf said €28 and I brought 2 slabs to the till and they each scanned at €20

Mine scanned at €28 a slab but when totalled up...drops back to €20

It says on the receipt 28 reduced to 20
    Never saw the Jameson damn

Loads in Cork, Carling, Guinness, Bud and Molston. 20 each.
    I got over charged by 55 euro at the till and had to go back in and get a refund.
    :(

Pity it wasn't Tesco, you would have got Double the Difference!" ;).

okidoki987 wrote: »

They charged me for 75 muffins. I know I'm a bit chubby but come on like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

okidoki987 wrote: »

Thought they stopped that

Hoboo wrote: »
    Thought they stopped that

No.
    It's on request and not advertised.
    Asked in a Tesco shop recently and was told "only if you ask".
    I then contacted Tesco HQ and was told "yes, we do still do it".

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

1L Smirnoff listing as 20 euro on tesco.ie.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

A magnum of Prosecco for €15 this weekend only at Supervalu. Its actually their normal Griffin branded one which is tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Slabs in lidl now €24. Yesterday only @ €20. So they told me anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Yep seeing this now instore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Joejopper

whodafunk wrote: »
    Yep seeing this now instore

Gone up to €28 in Galway for the slab of 24 cans

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

can they discount for 1 day only ? thought under the new laws they had to leave the discounted prices for a number of days.

I'm not complaining, I'm all for offering good deals as often as they can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

2smiggy wrote: »
    can they discount for 1 day only ? thought under the new laws they had to leave the discounted prices for a number of days.

I'm not complaining, I'm all for offering good deals as often as they can

Think they use until stocks depleted to get around this.

They may have allowed the shelves go dry and then packed the new truckload at the new price.

Total assumption but seems to be the way it goes, LIDL often have deals that only run for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,973 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Think they use until stocks depleted to get around this.
    They may have allowed the shelves go dry and then packed the new truckload at the new price.
    Total assumption but seems to be the way it goes, LIDL often have deals that only run for a few days.

If it's the same product restocked then it would have to be available at the lower price. I don't see how that couldn't be a breach of the legislation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Can confirm. €28 down to €24 in my Lidl.

No sign of €20.

Pricks

....still cheap though. Bought 2 slabs. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If it's the same product restocked then it would have to be available at the lower price. I don't see how that couldn't be a breach of the legislation.

Was just about to head over to Lidl to pick up a few slabs. A 1 day promotion is clearly not allowed under the new legislation. Can any lawyers out there confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Can others verify the Lidl prices?

Was in my local Lidl at 11am and headed straight for the slabs.

No prices on display, so asked a staff member.

He said all €25 except Guinness €28, so I went to Tesco for Guinness/

Was in conversation with a guy on Whatsapp:

HI K your chatting with H, The store have confirmed in the morning the price was scanning incorrectly and was amended in the afternoon down to the advertised price of €20, This was a one day offer and they price has returned to the normal price of €24 now. I do apologise fore the confusion.

Was in 5 Lidl's today looking for something and every one had the slabs at €24.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

SkatesOn wrote: »
    Was just about to head over to Lidl to pick up a few slabs. A 1 day promotion is clearly not allowed under the new legislation. Can any lawyers out there confirm?

Looks like Lidl have found a "loophole" in the legislation:

"A person shall not sell or supply, or cause to be sold or supplied, an alcohol product for a period of 3 days or less at a price less than that being charged for the alcohol product on the day before the commencement of the period concerned."

Because the product (in this case slabs of Bud, Guinness & Carlsberg) was not available on the day before the promotion commenced, this regulation doesn't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

SkatesOn wrote: »
    Looks like Lidl have found a "loophole" in the legislation:

"A person shall not sell or supply, or cause to be sold or supplied, an alcohol product for a period of 3 days or less at a price less than that being charged for the alcohol product on the day before the commencement of the period concerned."

Because the product (in this case slabs of Bud, Guinness & Carlsberg) was not available on the day before the promotion commenced, this regulation doesn't apply.

Interesting

Advertisement