Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

Does anyone reckon they might eventually get around this by selling beer brewing kits at some off licenses and supermarkets? I've been brewing for a few years (hence being far less active on this thread than pre-2018 :D:D:D ) so I'm biased but it does seem like a no brainer - replace or augment the bottom shelf stuff with simple ingredient kits which make 40 500ml bottles for c.€15 in a month or so. I'm actually amazed breweries haven't started making their own pre-hopped malt extracts for this purpose, it would be literally impossible to regulate as all of the ingredients are used every day in regular cooking - particularly if you're making homebrew cider.

Imagine walking into an Offie and buying a box for €30 which would make 40 bottles of Brewdog or O'Haras in a couple of weeks? Would be a complete game changer. Apart from the sugar tax I really don't see any way they could regulate this price-wise without it also effecting basic cooking and baking ingredients.

Very much thinking of those grape packages they sold in the US during prohibition, upon which there was apparently a note to the effect of "WARNING: Do not boil the contents of this box, add yeast, and leave in a sealed container for several weeks - you may inadvertently create an illegal alcoholic beverage" :D

Great Post.. Reminds of my late teenage years in the late 1980's when we were all on the dole and penniless.
    A few friends of mine were into the home brew scene and other substances I can't mention here.
    We used to have great sessions trying out the lagers and ales, I must admit they were stronger than the piss water we all buy nowadays in cans and bottles.
    I agree with you in that the home brew would be virtually impossible to tax, but I feel we have become too lazy to even try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 NickB1337

Will these new regulations impact the typical 4 for €10 or 3 for €9 beers? Or even the price of slabs compared to individual cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

NickB1337 wrote: »
    Will these new regulations impact the typical 4 for €10 or 3 for €9 beers? Or even the price of slabs compared to individual cans?

the multi-buy offers are finished. Unless tesco etc reduce the price back to around €2.50 a bottle will there be any demand for the bigger beer and cider bottles?
    Slab offers can continue as long as they are for more than 3 days.
    minimum pricing is the final dagger though which is still TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Dunnes have dropped a lot of their prices to around 2.60 a bottle, tesco still wants 3 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Impacted alright:(

Peroni 660ml bottle which was normally 4 for a tenner in Tesco are now 3.59 each.

Smithwicks x 500ml which was normally 4 for a tenner also in Tesco are now 3.24 each.

Obriens done 5 for 10 euro on the 500ml Smithwicks bottle which I am partial to, I will stick my head in the door there over the weekend to see what their price tactic is now on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭sully123

Shelf full of Staropramen in tesco Merrion right now

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

I think we'll see more 6 pack SKUs particularly from Irish craft beer companies, which would ironically increase the amount of beer people buy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Gaw_ wrote: »
    I think we'll see more 6 pack SKUs particularly from Irish craft beer companies, which would ironically increase the amount of beer people buy

And packaging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Gaw_ wrote: »

Already see it in some of the bigger international companys. Brewdog available in a 4 pack and I think Sierra Nevada. Just cant Mix and Match :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Impacted alright:(

Peroni 660ml bottle which was normally 4 for a tenner in Tesco are now 3.59 each.

Smithwicks x 500ml which was normally 4 for a tenner also in Tesco are now 3.24 each.

Obriens done 5 for 10 euro on the 500ml Smithwicks bottle which I am partial to, I will stick my head in the door there over the weekend to see what their price tactic is now on it.

Go to Duness if looking to buy smithwicks. Got it for 2.55 last week

2.75 a bottle in SV.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/search/allaisles?q=Smithwicks

• Advertisement

Ha there might be a positive to this new rule, smithwicks bring back their 330ml blonde cans to sell it as a pack. Or sell their bottles in a pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

fin12 wrote: »
    Go to Duness if looking to buy smithwicks. Got it for 2.55 last week

2.75 a bottle in SV.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/search/allaisles?q=Smithwicks

€2 per bottle in O'Briens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Looking at Craft Central online there and they have marked beers down by 16% of the RRP, couple of examples;
    - 3 x O'Brother Sinner IPAs are usually 3 for 9 Euro, Craft Central have it at 3 Euro a can. Joyce's here in Galway have it at 3.44, where it was always 3 for 9.
    - 4 x Eight Degrees Citra are usually 4 for 10 Euro in most places, it is down to 2.50 a can on Craft Central.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

4 cans of Lomza for 5 euro in Tesco this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Wineman wrote: »
    €2 per bottle in O'Briens

Thanks for the heads up on that , picked up 500ml bottles of smithwicks 2 euro each , fair play to O’Brien’s for reducing the price to keep the 5 for 10 offer going as such , you can now choose to buy less if you want and only pay 2 euro a bottle .

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up on that , picked up 500ml bottles of smithwicks 2 euro each , fair play to O’Brien’s for reducing the price to keep the 5 for 10 offer going as such , you can now choose to buy less if you want and only pay 2 euro a bottle .

Pity there’s no o Brien’s near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hy Gieni

Guinness 500ml €23 in Dunnes this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

Hy Gieni wrote: »
    which dunnes was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

GOT SOME TODAY IN DUNNES 25 EURO A SLAB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭elperello

GOT SOME TODAY IN DUNNES 25 EURO A SLAB

I saw that too.

Also Heineken and Carlsberg 24x500ml €25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

My Dunnes is also gone to 25

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

TheDriver wrote: »
    My Dunnes is also gone to 25

That's shocking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Claude Greengrass

sully123 wrote: »
    Got 10 Staropramen 660ml delivered today from tesco. Came in a box of 12 with 2 taken out. But yeah, never seen the box out on the floor.

As previously mentioned, it's on for 1euro atm

Any of these left in Dublin?

The 470ml are 23, the 500ml are 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The 470ml are 23, the 500ml are 25.

Think there's a decimal point missing in the price of the 470ml :rolleyes:.

Bit of a warning: A few shops, including Spar and Supervalu, have started doing promotions where they're giving out free pint glasses with Guinness logos etc. on them. They're just in time for the 6 nations, presumably, as they have rugby stuff on them as well. It just so happens that an over excited puppy smashed both of my Guinness glasses recently, so I was over the moon. I picked up an 8-pack and asked the girl if I could have two glasses, seeing as they have loads left.

They're not pint glasses, or even 500ml glasses. They're designed for the 470ml cans, so when you try to show off in front of the missus and pour the entire can into the glass in one foul swoop as you normally do, the extra 30ml ends up allover the kitchen table. If you then proceed to have a few more and get ar meisce, you might even forget that the cans are too big for the glass and end up doing it again. For every can. Like a dope :o

Apologies for the lack of bargains, thought I'd save you all the trouble of looking like a drunken mess. Or 'more' of a drunken mess than usual. Godspeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Claude Greengrass

Anyone order beer from the UK this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 onanor

Anyone order beer from the UK this month?

I ordered from brewdog a bunch last year - but they no longer offer delivery to here it seems
    Ive emailed for clarity - couldnt beat 48 cans for 60EU delivered :(

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Any of these left in Dublin?
    Plenty in Tralee today so I imagine there should be no shortage elsewhere. Still €1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,121 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tennent's Lager 500ml cans €1 each in Tesco Coonagh, Limerick this evening if that's your poison. Not listed on their website so not sure if it's nationwide.

Advertisement