Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

10 VW Polo - timing chain stretched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭User1998

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The big problem is that that 1.2 engine sounds like a bag of spanners at the best of times.

Yep. Every Polo I buy I’m convinced the chain is on its way out because of how bad it sounds on start up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

The big problem is that that 1.2 engine sounds like a bag of spanners at the best of times.

I hate chain driven 3 cylinders...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oops! wrote: »
    I hate chain driven 3 cylinders...

You should hear the 1.2 TDI

:eek:

You should hear the 1.2 TDI

:eek:

I have, and been up to my elbows in a few of them... Dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I have, and been up to my elbows in a few of them... Dirt.

Definitely, same for the petrols.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Definitely, same for the petrols.

The diesel sounds like it’s thrown a rod. From factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Unfortunately, that is a popular issue with those Polos, which makes finding a second hand engine very hard, I think your best option is to get the current engine refurbished, whether that by with VW or another provider.

It's disappointing to see this with people who have stayed the course, bought from a dealer and serviced with a dealer right through. If you've been working with the same dealer all along i'd try and put that case to them locally and see they offer the repair for a more competitive price. Dealers can authorise goodwill themselves up to cars 7 years of age but after that point all goodwill is cut off, bar local discount.

Responsibility landing with the dealer is untrue and going legal is an utter waste of time, it's 10 years old, it's your baby. It doesn't take away from the unfortunate nature of things, you done things right in the hope of reliability and it's let you down, that and you'd like to think a chain would last more than 10 years/100k kms. That being said, it is what it is now.

Agree with Colm, trading in wouldn't be the best move here financially.

I would push the dealer for a better price.

I've seen the timing chain in this engine (albeit as fitted to a Seat Ibiza) and without exaggerating, I think it 's fair to say it's about the size and strength of something I have on my push bike.

It is no surprise that these fail - they were simply not designed to have a service life to match the car. At least VW / Seat / Skoda installed the engine so that access to the chain is not in the BMW N47/520d league ...

VW should have either used a belt that is easily replaceable or they should have designed a chain that will last the natural life of the car.

But then, this is VW we are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭CoBo55

route66 wrote: »
    I've seen the timing chain in this engine (albeit as fitted to a Seat Ibiza) and without exaggerating, I think it 's fair to say it's about the size and strength of something I have on my push bike.

It is no surprise that these fail - they were simply not designed to have a service life to match the car. At least VW / Seat / Skoda installed the engine so that access to the chain is not in the BMW N47/520d league ...

VW should have either used a belt that is easily replaceable or they should have designed a chain that will last the natural life of the car.

But then, this is VW we are talking about

Not as puny as the BMW chain...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I had an Ibiza with this engine and the chain slipped on a cold morning when I only had about 50k miles on the clock .. luckily it didn’t do any damage and a new tensioner sorted it. The mechanic at the time told me the tensioner was as fragile as anything he’d seen.

Absolute pig of an engine and a few years later it dies a death all on its own ... scrapped with 75k miles on the clock ... full service history to go with it too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Turn off the radio to hear more,hehe

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The 3 cylinder in my VW Up! sounds better than my last few 4 pots. In fact I go as far as saying it sounds rather nice

I love a 3 pot.

The 1.2 TDI is shocking though.

https://youtu.be/4N-qXEzSNgQ

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wholesome19

Hi, for anyone interested this is the latest update. Essentially loads of back and forth...VW stood up to the plate and gave goodwill of €1250 - which is really good of them! So fair play VW!

Anyway, went back to the dealer, and the final quote €3600. I was weighing up my options and showed the quote to an independent mechanic. He said that the dealership weren't completing the full job, only replacing the cylinder head and the chain. Not fixing the big end bearing. So I went back to query both the labour costs and the extent of the repair and they said:

The labour costs would be split as the below, due to the substantial work involved and the numerous parts that need to be removed and refitted, so couldn't individually break down the hours

Labour costs:
    Timing Chain Replacement – 8 hour
    Cylinder Head – 4 hours

In regards to the big end bearing, that is located at the bottom of the engine and the repair of my vehicle is related to the top of the engine. Obviously, the repair had been noted by the qualified VW technicians, and although ' they don't have a crystal ball' that this is the solution they have advised is required to repair the vehicle.

Like what do you think, does that sound right about the repair, or is the independent mechanic right. Am I wrong in thinking that they should be able to provide the full extent of what needs to be done? The crystal ball comment seems a bit wishy-washy considering the cost of €3600. The independent mechanic has advised me that all they will do is pressurise the engine to get the car working but it won't be a long-term fix.

So I think im going to get it out of there, but want to make sure I'm not over-reacting.

So any advice welcome.

How much do you have to pony up?

How much do you have to pony up?

2400 due to the goodwill - at this stage I don't mind doing that. Even tho its a lot...its more I just want the job done right, what do you think?

I think your blinded by their bull****e and are still paying through the nose for the job.... But sure whatever your happy with.

I think your blinded by their bull****e and are still paying through the nose for the job.... But sure whatever your happy with.

Blinded is an understatement! I'm well over their bull**** at this stage - I'm just trying to get a gauge of how much BS and what I really want to know is, if they are actually doing the job at all?

Or is it a patch job like the other guy said?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

2400 not buy a working engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sounds like madness to me.
    Id look for an engine, fit new chain then install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

New engine surely

mickdw wrote: »
    Sounds like madness to me.
    Id look for an engine, fit new chain then install.

That's what the independent mechanic has suggested - so going with him. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting to what the dealers were saying, as my gut was like this isn't right...but I only have limited knowledge of cars.

Thanks, everyone for your help - really genuinely appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The dealer is doing well out of that "goodwill" imo, it's probably the only reason they and VW are entertaining that work on a 10 year old car in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

10 year old Polo with a bad engine. I wouldn't even bother fixing that car tbh. Not worth it. You'd have a better car bought for the cost of the repair. Scrap it.

I would never trust an engine that had someone fiddling around replacing the big end bearings. They way I'd see it is that it would be an engine that has been interfered with. I know now someone will say "oh but it's a main dealer with highly trained technicians" and so on, but at the end of the day that is only all plumás and spoofery - a lot of the time they haven't a notion and are only chancing this and that, or let some dimwitted apprentice work on it.

They are quoting you 2400 because they don't want to do it and want you to either buy a new car off them, or go away and get it fixed elsewhere.

10 year old Polo with a bad engine. I wouldn't even bother fixing that car tbh. Not worth it. You'd have a better car bought for the cost of the repair. Scrap it.

How much does it cost to scrap it? I think il try the new engine, as I need a car at the moment & can't afford a new one right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

How much does it cost to scrap it? I think il try the new engine, as I need a car at the moment & can't afford a new one right now.

It doesn't cost anything to scrap it. Just bring it to a licenced dismantlers and get a certificate of destruction. You might even get paid some small amount for it, but for a 10 year old Polo, it would not be much. Maybe €50.

If it were me I'd probably dump it in the dealer's yard with a boot full of rubbish after I'd put every potentially useful part of it beyond re-use, and cut up the wiring harness.

I would never trust an engine that had someone fiddling around replacing the big end bearings. They way I'd see it is that it would be an engine that has been interfered with. I know now someone will say "oh but it's a main dealer with highly trained technicians" and so on, but at the end of the day that is only all plumás and spoofery - a lot of the time they haven't a notion and are only chancing this and that, or let some dimwitted apprentice work on it.

They are quoting you 2400 because they don't want to do it and want you to either buy a new car off them, or go away and get it fixed elsewhere.

Yeah I think your right on the cost - that they dont want to do the job, as they have made it that hard for us.

The mechanic fitting the engine is a family friend, so while it might be frankensteins monster - if it can last me a little while Id be happy. Or do you think it could be potentially dangerous?

Even a 10 Polo is still worth fixing scrapping wouldn’t make financial sense given what the car is worth fixed.

If you can get a known working engine and get a timing chain fitted to it as a preventative measure - that would be the best solution in my mind.

My car is 10 years old, worth 3k. has 50k on the clock, and is in great nick. Suzuki Swift.
    So you can afford a good car, just not a new one off a dealer.

Something like this
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/suzuki-swift-1-3-petrol/26599467

Edit: 7 previous owners! Anyway point is you have options

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Blinded is an understatement! I'm well over their bull**** at this stage - I'm just trying to get a gauge of how much BS and what I really want to know is, if they are actually doing the job at all?

Or is it a patch job like the other guy said?

IMO the independent mechanic is talking through his rear end.

WTF is he on about bottom end bearings? "Pressurizing the engine", what even is that?

For one, he hasn't seen the car, for two how could a timing chain breaking damage the bottom end bearings and for three what the hell is pressurizing?

Lads are great at chipping in shoddy, shoddy work Ted opinions when the job has nothing got to do with their workshop. It's very easy to put another workshop down when they aren't their to say their piece.

For what it's worth, VW's goodwill is usually distributed in 70/30 portions between parties so while the job is expensive-ish it does sound like someone somewhere is actually coming to the table.

€2400 for a reputable outfit to fix the engine and put two years warranty on the work is a good option. You're getting back a car you know to be good. Anything you buy for a couple of grand could be just another ****heap down the line. Your Polo will give years of good service again after the repair.

• Advertisement

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Something like this
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/suzuki-swift-1-3-petrol/26599467

Edit: 7 previous owners! Anyway point is you have options

Yes 100% have options, more what I mean - is right now I don't have the luxury to take a chance. So your car is perfect as you know its been with a good user, low milege - but going to buy one on the open market. I will be taking a chance that the are offering a similar decent style car.

Advertisement