Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age 50 and want totally change career - ideas

Comments

It's a great thing, they have all the options going forward.
    If he was contracting with an occupational pension scheme access from 50 should be possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Augeo wrote: »
    Their kids are grown up ?
    Did his wife not work?

She did.
    Was let go at the start of covid anyway. Still not working.
    Her wage was peanuts compared to his anyway.
    I used to wonder why she bothered.

It's a great thing, they have all the options going forward.
    If he was contracting with an occupational pension scheme access from 50 should be possible.

Dont think he needs to tap the pension for a good few years anyway. But it would be an option if he needed it alright. I guess he will do that when he runs out of money in the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I have met some fascinating taxi-drivers over the years, who came late into the game. You’re self-employed (though there are obviously huge disadvantages) and meet people every day.

The taxi game is dead, I would not be recommending , plus your self employed.

Dublin was already over subscribed even before covid -19 kicked in late Feb/ early March, 13,000 licences approx. Shifts were horrible (12 hours), plus your dealing with all sorts according to my neighbour.

A neighbour of mine who is a taxi driver has the overhead Taxi sign taken down since March and is now doing deliveries .
    Financially he is under pressure since covid kicked in.

I think Homecare is a growth industry but as another poster said, you have to be a certain personality type to work in the Homecare sector

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Kinda off topic. Was doing a bit of work recently on a roof , sun shining, radio on, working away happy with life.

Up comes an IT guy from one of the floors below for a smoke, got chatting to him, nice fella.

Now for me this was a classic case of the grass is always greener. For me I've often dreamt of working in an office and for him, he mentioned how nice it would be to be working up on the rooftops in the sunshine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This is why multiple micro incomes is attractive. You have enough variety to keep you interested.

I've been the guy on the roof in miserable conditions and I've been the guy in the office on sunny days.

Physical labor takes its toll as does sitting at a desk for years. Too much of either is not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

JimmyVik wrote: »
    He has done everything. One of the pony tail generation :)
    He was big in to Java at one point, then .net.
    Like myself he found those interesting and fun until the last 10 years or so.
    No freedom anymore to be creative, among other things.

That's interesting. What do you think changed for him, or for you for that matter around that time? Abuse of scrum by any chance?

dazberry wrote: »
    That's interesting. What do you think changed for him, or for you for that matter around that time? Abuse of scrum by any chance?

Scrum is a joke. Honestly, Anyone who evangelizes scrum does not have a clue.

Agile now is some term companies spit out to justify not having a clue how to efficiently do whatever they are trying to do.

But in general IT is now full of metrics and buzz words. It has ruined the whole sector.
    People are more interested in reports than clever code or processes.

And when I was in management for a few years in a couple of different companies I found myself pandering to the almighty metrics because it was easier to just cave in than argue with those clueless idiots looking for it. In the end i left and went back contracting. Some jobs were good but they were all headed the same way. Then I went back to a company I worked for before after getting an offer i couldnt refuse, but sure that place is gone the same way.

Most people I know who are in IT feel the same way. Some dont, bu they are the minority I would say among the people i went to uni or ever worked with who i am still in contact with. Lots have actually left IT already.

In general the concensus is that there is just too much now to handle. You go into a company as a .net developer to do a project. Its fine while you do that project but over time then they start throwing other things which are IT related but not what you do or want to be doing at you. You do this for a while, and before you know it all sorts of weird IT systems, third party products, internal fcuk ups etc are all piled on top of the developers, because they are they ones who are used to going off and learning how to deal with new ideas. But too much is too much. And its getting more common.

Sorry. Thats my opinion :)
    I know you asked about my brothers but his is similar. Except he got paid a lot more, so he put up with more before he gave up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

beauf wrote: »
    This is why multiple micro incomes is attractive. You have enough variety to keep you interested.

I've been the guy on the roof in miserable conditions and I've been the guy in the office on sunny days.

Physical labor takes its toll as does sitting at a desk for years. Too much of either is not good.

So true. You hit the nail on the head.

Scrum is a joke. Honestly, Anyone who evangelizes scrum does not have a clue.

Agile now is some term companies spit out to justify not having a clue how to efficiently do whatever they are trying to do.....

True, misused and mis understood. I've heard HR and Business using "agile" without any understanding of the methodology. Scrum has its place. But is just another way of doing things, its not the only way.

And when I was in management for a few years in a couple of different companies I found myself pandering to the almighty metrics because it was easier to just cave in than argue with those clueless idiots looking for it.....

I find metrics very useful. But also find ourselves producing vast metrics for people unable to analysis or interpret them.
    ...all sorts of weird IT systems, third party products, internal fcuk ups etc are all piled on top of the developers, because they are they ones who are used to going off and learning how to deal with new ideas. But too much is too much. And its getting more common.

I have a slightly different view point. A lot of developers are intellectually arrogant. Often they think they can do everyone else's job better, so take on these roles. So if you walk into a place and find this, blame the predecessor.

There's also the flip side. Where companies stack different jobs into the one role, to save money. So you end up taking on work that should really been done by a few people, on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Supercell wrote: »
    I've often thought if money wasn't a consideration I'd go back to work in McDonald's as a "crew member", did that during my college years and loved the craic and the buzz of the lunch/dinner "rush". Unfortunately with a mortgage and three kids that's not an option at the moment.

:D:D
    I worked in garden centre in Woodies when I was in college.

Fantastic job, helping people buy plants and bringing compost out to people's cars. Zero stress. Work ended at the end of my shift. Only thing I worried about was watering the bedding.

Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Back in 2001 I was agency driver in London and while most the work was crap like driving the bread delivery lorry to supermarkets around London I did spend 3 glorious months working in car storage facility near Heathrow. The cars stored there ranged from classic cars to high end sports and luxury cars. My job was to take the cars out on the track and do a couple of miles each month when they were left standing or to drop a car off at the airport or the home of an owner in London.

Dropping of a highly modified Mercedes G wagon to the Heathrow VIP area for a Saudi Crown prince or a rare 911 to a Hollywood A list celeb was all in the days work. Also taking a Mercedes 300sl or Jaguar 120 around a track for a spirited drive brought a smile to my face that stayed for days and still brings a smile to my face today thinking back. Its been a while since I thought about that job, it was less of a job and more of an experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

Good luck with your decision, the civil service in some depts has outsourced some IT staff I think which reduces the possibility of ending up in that area.

Having said that with the increasing importance of IT in public admin, such a background could be helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Agile now is some term companies spit out to justify not having a clue how to efficiently do whatever they are trying to do.

But in general IT is now full of metrics and buzz words. It has ruined the whole sector.
    People are more interested in reports than clever code or processes.

Absolutely, I hear "Agile" used as synonym for clueless one more time I'll scream. The entire sector been swamped with BS merchants, our place now has at least twice as many project managers, evangelists, business solution architects and assorted other IT gypsies as they do technical staff, all of whom are hurling from the ditch. I really feel like I want out at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

Fantastic thread and as a recent member of club 50 I had been putting a lot of thought into work life balance change in recent years. My first job out of college was actually civil service and while I loved the work I absolutely hated the nepotistic office politics and political interference, and when the really sound office boss who hired me retired the whole job turned into shít sandwich I was glad to escape.

I worked in a few different roles in the private sector, mostly in infrastructural development and while I enjoyed it for a few decades I've gotten really bored of winters outdoors, long drives and long days. Summers were great but overall I really want to work shorter hours and days from now on.

Someone I used to work with jumped to training to be a paramedic when they were 40 and they love it, although they admit the nightshifts get tougher as they get older. I'm thinking toward ambulance transfer training which would have a more monday - friday schedule without night shifts.

I did voluntary ambulance for years before at sporting events etc so am already used to it. I actually enjoyed that voluntary work far more than my career at the time.

Another friend who worked in communications IT for decades switched to homecare in recent years and loves it. He's loves doing agency work as the hours are always there he can structure his days to suit quiet tee times as he loves golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Hi OP, I've been following your with initially detached interest.

I took a look at the Civil Service jobs link from the beginning. There's a job that really sparked my imagination: Assistant Harbour Master in Donegal. It just sounds so different.

Anyway all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stefglory

doc22 wrote: »
    An SNA is a handy number, long paid holidays, short working hours, no teaching responsibilities, short evening course to qualify as one and pay tops out at 40k. Only problem is getting a job as one.

This all sounds great but it is incredibly hard to get a job and the job security is almost zero. You can basically be cut mid year if your assigned child moves school. (there was talk of SNAs being assigned to the school v a child, I'm not sure if that is in place yet). I have worked as an SNA in the early 00s and went back to it in recent years as a sub and was very lucky to get a good bit of work but honestly I found it pretty soul crushing. The work itself is usually grand. Some behaviour can be very hard to deal with and the school I was in had more of that than probably most schools but I could deal with that (once I adjusted to it, the first few weeks was yikes!!) . It's everything else that is exhausting. The lack of support, the staff politics, the us v them divide between teachers and SNAs (that was a huge downer in the early 00s so I'd hoped it was better but unfortunately it wasn't really). I'm a member of an Sna group and it seems things have been even more stressful over COVID but I guess thats most jobs. Also if it comes to an issue between you or a teacher or even you and a child, the principal will always back them. It's quite a vulnerable position to be honest, just from seeing other people's experiences.

While there's no arguing that the holidays are great, the fewer hours don't really make much difference because it can be so intense that you end up just as exhausted from working a general 9-5, especially when you are working with complex needs (if you're working in autistic units etc you have to be very well trained. Even in standard schools you often have to work with wheelchair users, non verbal, ADHD students. There's toileting, sometimes you have to give medication. It's not just sitting beside a student helping the to read. You can often have huge responsibility and you just have to get on with it, it can get intense if you don't have much experience)

You could get lucky and get into an amazing school with lovely supportive staff. There's good and bad in every job I guess but I did find it kind of soul crushing towards the end. Its a very limited role where you're generally not given any room to use initiative. You have to follow the teachers instructions and if you're working in a secondary school you'll have to deal with a lot of them. And a lot of them can be a pain in the h*le. When I first started the best piece of advice i got from another Sna was something like "don't take it personally if they're short with you" and it was very apt. You can feel like you're back in school yourself sometimes.

I know I'm being pretty negative but it's an honest account. The positives are pretty obvious I think. If you like working with children/teenagers you will know what to expect there. If you're used to having to deal with a lot of bureaucracy and annoying colleagues then it won't be too bad and at least you'll get an extra few weeks break from them!

I know a few trying to get SNA jobs. Done all the courses. Some of have got jobs most haven't. Some have had bits of work, but not enough to replace another job. Many have stopped trying and got jobs elsewhere.

SNA is a vocation surely and not something to be done for perceived handy lifestyle benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

SNA is a vocation surely and not something to be done for perceived handy lifestyle benefits.

An ex' g/f of mine was a SNA. To be fair...it was a cushy enough number. Even she would acknowledge it. Now, you did have to deal with very ill children and limited life expectancy.

She also picked up a handy couple of grand every year during the term holidays for looking after kids. Not on the side but legit. In other words a sort of respite thing...a few hours a day for maybe for 1 week. It was an easy €1000 essentially babysitting less vunerable kids so knew anyway.

She was on about €27k a year and that was 15 years ago.

• Advertisement

xlogo wrote: »
    So is teaching but that hasn't stopped many.

Look, let's call a spade a spade.

99.999% of secondary school teachers are general BA graduates who didnt have a clue what to do with themselves and signed up for the HDip for the hell of it.

I'm not sure what you mean. Any job has to be viable. Both economically and also around commitments like family. I'm not sure I'd call it handy. Even if there are people who have the empathy and aptitude for it, and its a job that they like. Why call it a vocation?

99.999% of secondary school teachers are general BA graduates who didnt have a clue what to do with themselves and signed up for the HDip for the hell of it.

I disagree. When I think about my own teachers I can remember a few who were punching the clock. But they weren't the vast majority no way. There were also very dedicated teachers.

I disagree. When I think about my own teachers I can remember a few who were punching the clock. But they weren't the vast majority no way. There were also very dedicated teachers.

Well to be fair I should have clarified my post by sayng that they started out as BA graduates not knowing what to do. No doubt most (I would like to think) will commit 100% to being a dedicated teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Any teachers I had at secondary school were chancers who could never have made a living doing anything else. How they even passed the BA and H Dip is a wonder to me. I often think they must have hired impersonators or else used someone else's paperwork and name to get the jobs.

I'm not sure what you mean. Any job has to be viable. Both economically and also around commitments like family. I'm not sure I'd call it handy. Even if there are people who have the empathy and aptitude for it, and its a job that they like. Why call it a vocation?

I was posting because someone said it was handy ............
    doc22 wrote: »
    An SNA is a handy number..........

I'd consider any profession where the job involves dealing with kids with additional and often significant care needs a vocation. The literal definition of a vocation is "a strong feeling of suitability for a particular career or occupation".

I can't really see why anyone would question why I'd see an SNA role as a vocation...... you mention yourself empathy is required for the role. Not everyone has that and it can't be mustered just because the shifts suit their life.

I was posting because someone said it was handy ............

I'd consider any profession where the job involves dealing with kids with additional and often significant care needs a vocation. The literal definition of a vocation is "a strong feeling of suitability for a particular career or occupation".

I can't really see why anyone would question why I'd see an SNA role as a vocation...... you mention yourself empathy is required for the role. Not everyone has that and it can't be mustered just because the shifts suit their life.

Usually when people say it's a vocation it's usually used as an excuse for poor conditions and pay. I wasn't sure which side of the fence your comment was going....

If someone takes a job because it suits them that doesn't mean they will be bad at it. For many people a job is a job, and they do it well regardless of not having any special interest in it.

Though I think it would be difficult to be an SNA unless you had an empathy for it. Then again I've met all sorts of medical professionals who seems to dislike helping people.

I just realised a husband of my wife's buddy left IT a few years back and retrained as a primary school teaching assistant (this is England). To be fair he has just turned 40 and inherited a couple of rental properties to see him through the training.

To be honest I havent a clue what IT he did but I don't think he was up to much within IT as he was on rubbish money...£15k a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Apart from the science teachers. And the Home Ec teachers. And the Maths teachers. And the PE teachers.

99.999% of statistics are pure nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Oh totally! I am victim of my own success and have nobody to blame but myself. Hence the reason to pay things down. Hold on to the cars a few years longer. Thankfully there has been no hoidays this year and the last thing I bought for myself as a lotto ticket!!!! €200 million tonight!!!!!

Didn't win the lotto

Didn't win the money/car/money or the phone on R Kings.

Still working, still hate my job to the point where I am now being micro managed and asked for reports about reports.

I actually wish they would sack me!

Doing my best not to get sucked into boards arguments at the same time.

I really need to see this movie...

https://youtu.be/2IvEDtL27sY

I really need to see this movie...

https://youtu.be/2IvEDtL27sY

Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking!!!!

The joys of doing a job and not giving a single fook when the day was over!

Jaysus how did this thread turn into a teacher bashing thread. Its like a virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The number of individuals who are living their life .. next year they will change jobs, buy a home, have a baby, etc its never the right time its always next year what if next year never comes? it seems to be a mixture of the grass is greener as a coping mechanism and a lot of if only's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JoeBagga

First, consider that whatever you change to, it's best to have some knowledge on the subject. That having been said (and I'll explain why), what about taking some money and day trading? I know people will say, oh yea I did that before. But "doing" something and "making a career" out of something are two totally different things. I played basketball before but I'm not in the NBA as my full time career. Similarly, what about getting some education on how to really day trade and work in your pajamas every day? Just a thought. I like it myself and it took me some time to get the hang of it. But I used a simulated trading platform to practice with and got some really good education from a friend of mine who's been a pro for years now...not a stock picker....but an actual, full time trader.

• Advertisement

JoeBagga wrote: »
    First, consider that whatever you change to, it's best to have some knowledge on the subject. That having been said (and I'll explain why), what about taking some money and day trading? I know people will say, oh yea I did that before. But "doing" something and "making a career" out of something are two totally different things. I played basketball before but I'm not in the NBA as my full time career. Similarly, what about getting some education on how to really day trade and work in your pajamas every day? Just a thought. I like it myself and it took me some time to get the hang of it. But I used a simulated trading platform to practice with and got some really good education from a friend of mine who's been a pro for years now...not a stock picker....but an actual, full time trader.

I have an uncle who sold his mortgage free house for €750,000 and started renting about 5 years ago. He did very well up to that point and was already living the life of a successful man.

Fancied himself as a day trader because he made a few hundred here and there in the markets.

Fast forward and now he has to move to a smaller rental and is asking his brothers and sisters for loans all the time.
    His day trading went very badly.

However i know a lot of people who just invested in ETFs in the same timeframe and didnt trade, they just left what they put in every month.
    Their investments are doing very well now.

Day trading is not as thing to be doing in your retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Jaysus how did this thread turn into a teacher bashing thread. Its like a virus.

some people just cannot help exposing their ignorance unfortunately.
    This thread is littered with uninformed tropes about public service etc, by the usual suspects. You'll always get it. Hasn't spoiled a good thread though.

Indeed, most folk who turn to it are just gambling and doing well as there's a rising tide in equities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

some people just cannot help exposing their ignorance unfortunately.
    Boards.ie is littered with uninformed tropes about public service etc, by the usual suspects. You'll always get it. Hasn't spoiled a good thread though.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have an uncle who sold his mortgage free house for €750,000 and started renting about 5 years ago. He did very well up to that point and was already living the life of a successful man.

Fancied himself as a day trader because he made a few hundred here and there in the markets.

Fast forward and now he has to move to a smaller rental and is asking his brothers and sisters for loans all the time.
    His day trading went very badly.

However i know a lot of people who just invested in ETFs in the same timeframe and didnt trade, they just left what they put in every month.
    Their investments are doing very well now.

It's stupid to sell your home and rent. Could have downsized to a smaller house outright down the country mortgage-free and used the excess money for whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

It's stupid to sell your home and rent. Could have downsized to a smaller house outright down the country mortgage-free and used the excess money for whatever.
    I think that person lost ownership of what they had because of their day trading debts and as a consequence ended up renting a much smaller habitat than what they had been used to.

I applied for the emergency call taker job with the Garda.

Be a massive step down but I think I might be happer!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I applied for the emergency call taker job with the Garda.

Be a massive step down but I think I might be happer!

Constantly interacting with people who are probably having the worst day of their life.... I think you'd need to be very good at tuning out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Constantly interacting with people who are probably having the worst day of their life.... I think you'd need to be very good at tuning out.

That was my thought too, i'd imagine that could be a very stressful job indeed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

It's why people burn out on a busy help desk especially in IT. Also because the work never ends. So theres no start, middle and end. I think people should rotate through those kinda jobs. Not be permanently in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You can, and people do. The public service is one of the few options that don't discriminate on age. Others don't admit it, but they do.

Otherwise homecare: males are scarce in the sector, so valued. But you're got to be a certain type of personality.

Or self-employment.

Tbh, i wouldn't recommend that. I wouldn't go there as the potential for spurious accusations is far to high. I think that is one of the reasons why males are largely absent from the care and education sectors, bar the few who got into it years ago.

There is big demand for DIY and general gardening and maintenance. Especially for older people. I know a few people who dropped out of IT, bought a small van and do odd jobs and DIY stuff for people. Bathrooms, tiling, decorating, gardening etc.

Assuming you are fit and able. But obviously you have to manage it within your fitness levels, for the next 10~20 yrs or so.

There is big demand for DIY and general gardening and maintenance. Especially for older people. I know a few people who dropped out of IT, bought a small van and do odd jobs and DIY stuff for people. Bathrooms, tiling, decorating, gardening etc. ............

Most folk woildn't have anywhere near the skillset for tiling and it's not too easy physically either.

Jim2007 wrote: »

I found myself looking at lidl jobs last night!

My hatred for my current job is reaching new lows.

Hence the bit you removed from the quote for some reason.
    Assuming you are fit and able. But obviously you have to manage it within your fitness levels, for the next 10~20 yrs or so.

Most builders, tradesmen are getting out of the game at 50+. But people in non physical jobs, might still be able for light work going forward. You're not going to become a Brickie at 50, or a plasterer.

I'm not suggesting take on tiling a wet room. But you tend to get asked to do splash backs and bits like that. Besides you can just tell them to get someone else to do the tiling if not something you want to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement