Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age 50 and want totally change career - ideas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

He is far too old for an apprenticeship as a plumber or an electrician. There is good money in plumbing but it is physically demanding.

Im not even his age and im getting aches and pains where i never even thought of :) I imagine it only gets worse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

This is one of the nicest threads ive ever participated in :) Im enjoying it. Lets not bicker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Its an interesting discussion JimmyVIk, but as I find myself being harassed I am going to exit.

Best of luck with your future career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭bullpost

There are nice jobs like museum attendants which come up now and again and would be nice and stress-free. I've seen these guys having great chats with visitors in places like Chester Beatty and fancied it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

bullpost wrote: »
    There are nice jobs like museum attendants which come up now and again and would be nice and stress-free. I've seen these guys having great chats with visitors in places like Chester Beatty and fancied it myself.

Anyone I know who ever got those jobs had their tongue well into a TDs ass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Is there anything good to be said for gaining a TEFL or equivalent, or how does that sector stand these days ?

If I were to recommend a trade to a 50yr-old (:)which I wouldn't :)) it would be Electrical Instrumentation.

https://apprenticeship.ie/career-seekers/get-started/learn-more/electrical/Electrical-Instrumentation-L6

How you are going to get an employer to take you on though ?

Listening to a lot of people talking about their workplace experiences, I'd say a counsellor would never be out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

IT is very broad, how about a different job in IT?... im 43 working in IT 20 years but have moved around areas.... some i despised...some i love as the position im in now...
    Maybe i wont feel this way in 10 years...

for those saying teaching, isnt that a 4 year degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

jobless wrote: »
    for those saying teaching, isnt that a 4 year degree?

You can do 2 years conversion courses, Masters of Education.

You could lecture in an IT with no extra qualification though. Positions are rare enough and competition would be stiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I am in a similar age bracket, 4 years ago I decided to give up with IT. 15 years working for a Service Provider can wear you down a lot so I decided to either join a software vender or leave full stop. I now work for a software vender and its such a refreshing change that I would say I will be happy for at least 5 years in my current role as I work far less hours and stress is non existent.

I still kicked off plan b, I bought my wife's family 77 acre farm and trying a few business ideas like a snail farm, bees (honey) and timber coppicing for wood chip burners. I also sell a lot of silage bails and get EU money for returning parts of it back to nature. If you do not need to rely on a regular income its very rewarding and driving a small tractor is very therapeutic when you are not relying on making a full living from it.

I also kicked off plan C, I started day trading stocks and continue this as a hobby today. It needs a lot of initial investment to day trade but its a fascinating "job" and gets more exciting than it should when one of your picks makes the play you planned for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Remember there was one lad in our office who was always in 30 minutes before everyone else. This was in 2008 or so.

When the job cuts came, he was the first one to go.

Makes sense, he was just taking up more space more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Learn to become a barber. people will always need haircuts and you can do it anywhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I know the feeling. What you do would depend on what your interests are and your skills.

Can you paint? Are you a writer? Do you like dealing with the public?? Say a shop or similar. Consultant IT as a self-employed person?

Knew a lad who did extra as a viking or whatever in film/TV. Did alright too working most of the year and he wasn't good looking or anything, overweight and hairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

Has he considered having a career break? Re-charge that way and go back to his in-demand well-paying job rather than starting at the bottom in something else. Or are there different areas of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Lecturing or teaching the likes of an adults back education course would be rewarding.

He should also have a look at state boards, not a job as such but if he can afford a pay cut there are decent packages for directors on certain boards and he could semi retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I'm in a similiar age to the op and changing career. My solution is, I'm applying to join the civil service. Feel my age is starting to push on , so want to go somewhere where I'm guaranteed a job for the rest of my working life. The working life balance the cs will offer also appeals to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

What a balanced thread and an interesting read (especially with a bit of private v public thrown in). It takes bravery and an element of financial stability to think about changing careers. Be careful of grass is greener syndrome. Every career and job has stresses, difficulties and bad times. My dream outlet has always been postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

What a balanced thread and an interesting read (especially with a bit of private v public thrown in). It takes bravery and an element of financial stability to think about changing careers. Be careful of grass is greener syndrome. Every career and job has stresses, difficulties and bad times. My dream outlet has always been postman.

i always thought if i were a postman it wouldnt have to drag my ass to the gym as often, on my postman bike id be as fit as a fiddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

On the Civil Service - it all depends where you end up. I frankly love the job and while the money isn't great it's not that hard to get to HEO level where you'd be above the average industrial wage.

I know he's looking from a break from IT but there are sometime specific IT CS recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

JimmyVik wrote: »
    He wouldnt mind a pay cut. He is comfortable enough and has put money away for his pension already. He just wants a change.

It would be hilarious if he ended up back in IT :)

I just had a browse of that website and the jobs all seem kind of specific on it. I think his problem is he wants out of IT but he doesnt know anything else at this stage.

There's no guarantees of them using his skills.

I've been in 3 departments. Only 1 wanted me because of my background. The others I was looking after building maintenance and in a call centre.
    It's a case, of where are you in the list. What job is next to be filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I came across the most stress-free job on holiday in Kerry two years ago, two council worker in a council truck traveling remote beaches and changing the bins we met them having their lunch on the beach. They were out for most of the day no one bothering them.

Trades, maintenance on the mec and elec in some ultramodern building it will be warm and clean and very little on your back trying to work above your head, followed by being on the maintenance team in some small HSE organisation not completely stress-free but not bad and a good pension.

School caretaker is not a bad job if you are looking for something reasonable stress-free.

Delivery drive for SuperValue in a small town, the same people order all the time as long as you know the area its a doodle.

Consigage or want ever thy call them in an office building sorting our keys a bit of very light maintenance.

My husband office when it was open has this staff that went around collecting cups from desks, washing them in the dishwasher, buying milk, and cleaning the canteen completely stress free job

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t turn my back on IT just yet- a lot of businesses need IT advice- I’d be looking to get on board a medium to large company who need someone who can translate to the board of directors the investments etc they’re about to make in IT- there are many bad decisions made every day at director level because of their lack of IT knowledge.

other suggestions:
    Work with small businesses only as an IT advisor. Offer an IT audit service-

Do you have qualifications experience in SCRUM Lean, Agile etc? Good project managers are hard to come by - you know the tech stuff so moving to the PM side of the house may be a better experience

Renewable energy is a fast growing industry- your IT knowledge coupled with say a masters in this area may get you a decent job

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I know a guy who designs web sites and deals with business IT issues for half the businesses in my town, he is always busy as most people in business like myself haven't a clue about such things. The guy is self taught.

ellejay wrote: »
    A cousin quit accounting and started their own dog grooming business.
    45 quid a pop!

What are his hobbies or interests, a lot would depend on them.

Any idea of net pay per annum? I think the mobile dog groomers in their all equipped vans are a great idea- they drive up to your door and an hour later all done. Like any business you need a large network of regular clients. Set up costs would be high enough in terms of van conversion, I’m sure insurance isn’t cheap either but once you’ve that done, it could be a nice earner- don’t think you’d get rich from it though, you’d certInly need something like a small pension or higher main income coming in too if you’re 50+

Any idea of net pay per annum? I think the mobile dog groomers in their all equipped vans are a great idea- they drive up to your door and an hour later all done. Like any business you need a large network of regular clients. Set up costs would be high enough in terms of van conversion, I’m sure insurance isn’t cheap either but once you’ve that done, it could be a nice earner- don’t think you’d get rich from it though, you’d certInly need something like a small pension or higher main income coming in too if you’re 50+

I don't think the op is looking to make much money, it's more about a different less stressful job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There's no guarantees of them using his skills.

I've been in 3 departments. Only 1 wanted me because of my background. The others I was looking after building maintenance and in a call centre.
    It's a case, of where are you in the list. What job is next to be filled.

In general the Civil Service is not interested in your skills. As you said it's the next job to be filled.

saabsaab wrote: »
    In general the Civil Service is not interested in your skills. As you said it's the next job to be filled.

The Civil service will go out of its way not to use your skills so you don't show up the people who are pretending they have those skills.

I frankly love the job and while the money isn't great it's not that hard to get to HEO level where you'd be above the average industrial wage.

Money not great? I know a guy who joined the Civil Service at 18 as a clerical assistant. He had 5 passes in his Leaving. Within 20 years he was a millionaire with two degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Money not great? I know a guy who joined the Civil Service at 18 as a clerical assistant. He had 5 passes in his Leaving. Within 20 years he was a millionaire with two degrees.

HEO Salary scale:

Higher executive officer (PPC)
    49,845 – 51,303 – 52,756 – 54,210 – 55,669 – 57,123 – 58,578 – LSI 1 60, 679 – LSI 2 62,776

I think it takes 13 years to get to the top of it.

What a silly post, no one joined the civil services at 18 any more fair play for doing the degrees, no one becomes a millionaire from the salary in the civil service.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    What a stupid post, no one joined the civil services at 18 any more fair play for doing the degrees, no one becomes a millionaire from the salary in the civil service.

At that time people of 16 or 17 joined the Civil Service. Some grades even had age related salary with an under 18 rate and an over 18 rate. This guy got into a place with allowances and overtime and saved like a demon. He got the civil service to pay most of the fees for his courses. He got time off to go to lectures and to study. He also studied on the job.

Advertisement