Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Should we worry that they don't seem to be coming ashore?!

the models are usually fairly poor at handling streamers going inland. The showers will get well inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

They do move inland off the east coast, that’s what tends to happen with the Irish Sea streamers. You would have to think if that played out there would be a decent covering in eastern counties, although for once it doesn’t suggest as good for Wicklow
    I never understand why they don’t move inland like the U.K.!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Forecast snow for Midday Tuesday 9th Feb over 3 consecutive runs of the ECMWF model. Latest run on the left - earlier runs from Monday 3rd Feb on the right.

For the latest update on the cold spell next week visit the Met Eireann Meteorologist commentary at https://www.met.ie/forecasts/meteorologists-commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Gonzo wrote: »
    the models are usually fairly poor at handling streamers going inland. The showers will get well inland.

How far inland are you thinking, I.e Carlow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I would presume the fact that the north sea is bigger then the Irish sea would help with bigger convection and bigger showers that can make it further inland in the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Southern/Central Great Britain is flatter and the North Sea is wider than the Irish Sea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cw85 wrote: »
    How far inland are you thinking, I.e Carlow?

hard to say right now since this is still a few days away. Carlow should get some snowers but the Wales shadow could limit the shower potential. This could change before Monday.

the all important ECM 12z is rolling out. Looking very positive in this early stage with the cold getting in quicker.

ECM 00z:

ECMOPUK00_72_2.png

ECM 12z:

ECMOPUK12_72_2.png

hopefully the rest of the run is very positive with an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

EC 96 hrs...this will help enhance shower activity for Monday anyway

ECM1-96.GIF?04-0

Difference with GFS...

gfs-0-96.png?12

getting a bit ropey around 144 hours with the ECM, bit more of a SE wind compared to the 00z. SW Ireland and southern England/Wales getting milder compared to this mornings run.

ECM 00z:

ECMOPUK00_144_2.png

ECM 12z:
    ECMOPUK12_144_2.png

The mild from the south is further north on the latest run

• Advertisement

ECM keeps the cold air until midweek. Looks like a quick enough breakdown down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

@ Gonzo bear in mind the 12s are 12hours later on both your images above.
    The change is minimal and mostly relates to that 12hours imo

ECM a bit of an upgrade earlier on but a downgrade in terms of duration compared to earlier. Mild moving swiftly up from the south Wednesday evening. It's all over by Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes indeed Thursday is poor now on both gfs and ecm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

ECM good to 144. By 168hrs, its nearly over, mild air pushing up. Of course, will it make it? Odds favour yes. Three days wonder. Enjoy it. But it won't be prolonged.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

ECM good to 144. By 168hrs, its nearly over, mild air pushing up. Of course, will it make it? Odds favour yes. Three days wonder. Enjoy it. But it won't be prolonged.

We are still getting a 3-4 day proper spell of weather. Anything after 4 days is rather annoying tbh. I’ll take it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    We are still getting a 3-4 day proper spell of weather. Anything after 4 days is rather annoying tbh. I’ll take it

Yes, I'll take it too. If I get anything out of it,snow wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Hows that system looking for Wednesday though? is it slow moving???

yep it is looking like a 2 to 3 day event with a swift return of mild for now. There is still time for this to change. One of the main reasons for the downgrade on GFS and ECM is the tracking of those lows in the Atlantic, they are further north on this afternoons runs so we lose the cold air quicker compared to last night/mornings models. We do not want these lows to track any further north on tomorrow's models.

144 is miles away in fairness, that’s nearly a week away. We won’t know what next Thursday will be like until probably Sunday. Hard to take charts seriously beyond 5 days I think, even met Éireann rarely go beyond 4-5 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

6 days away. We may have upgrades over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

CFS says more to come.

dFOAcT6.png

Arduach wrote: »
    6 days away. We may have upgrades over night.

entirely possible. Overall this is still knife edge stuff, the smallest differences can upgrade or downgrade this cold spell by quiet a bit. As of now everything from Tuesday is up in the air.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

ECM 12z another very positive run. I wouldn't be too concerned about charts at 168hrs and beyond. Cold to the level we will be getting has a tendency to stick around and not be pushed away so easily. We are in a good place to get a proper cold spell for 3 to 4 days at least. The outcome beyond that still very uncertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Gonzo wrote: »
    entirely possible. Overall this is still knife edge stuff, the smallest differences can upgrade or downgrade this cold spell by quiet a bit. As of now everything from Tuesday is up in the air.

What’s causing this to drift north as opposed to other low on Tuesday to slide south? Is it heights changing in Greenland?

You'd have to be off your head at the moment taking anything at day 4 or 5 onward at face value.

Going to be back and forth next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I personally like the slight upgrade of the cold airmass on 12z EC, getting rid of that marginality with 850 temps at -9 or -10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Foolish to make statements like this so far out.

You'd have to be off your head at the moment taking anything at day 4 or 5 onward at face value.

Going to be back and forth next couple of days.

todays GFS 12z illustrates that perfectly. Huge scatter from Tuesday 9th.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=12&date=2021-02-04&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

The ensemble for London is even worse with huge scatter from Saturday. The GFS is really struggling from this weekend in general.

• Advertisement

Usual glass half empty nonsense with little to back it up, particularly in a time frame nearly a week away
    mcburns07 wrote: »
    Foolish to make statements like this so far out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement