Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

Daz_ wrote: »
    And I thought this was supposed to be the technical model discussion forum ...

It's a Fantasy Island Model Discussion, AuntySnow has given his opinion on what he thinks in a few weeks time based on model runs! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Jizique

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Right I've made my mind up on this
    The solution has more tweaks to come in the same direction in my opinion
    The trend seems to be forwards and backwards but momentum along the same road to the country eventually covered in minus 10s and 11's about mid fdbruaryish I'd expect maybe sooner
    Less marginality with each brush with cold as they come,from here on , I would think before the main event(s)

Rising temperatures this week according to Siobhan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Always a good sign to see Met Eireann oblivious to the upcoming cold spell!! Watch them come kicking and screaming to our train of thought as the week goes on.
    Almost more fun than seeing snow on the ground lol☺

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

EC at day 10. Quite the spectacle to see almost the entire north American continent, along with the good part of the European continent, under cooler than average conditions at the same time.

ECMAVGNH12_240_34.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Daz_ wrote: »
    And I thought this was supposed to be the technical model discussion forum ...

Forecasting is not just looking at models. In fact, models are actually well down the order when it comes to forecasting and should only be used as a last check to refine what you think will happen based on knowledge, experience, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Forecasting is not just looking at models. In fact, models are actually well down the order when it comes to forecasting and should only be used as a last check to refine what you think will happen based on knowledge, experience, etc.

Now you tell us..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

18z has the low further west and weakening much faster

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭bazlers

A nation holds its breath!

bazlers wrote: »
    A nation holds its breath!

Gfs O’Leary against ECM Lung (I think) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

Are we there yet
    Are we there yet
    Are we there yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Turning chilly by Saturday on latest GFS

gfs-1-138.png?18?18

GFS holds firm and is an upgrade on the 12z

sfggfg.png

Run of the week coming up from the pub run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

-12c uppers into eastern Northern Ireland, I don't think they'll make it further south though.

gfseuw-1-162.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The 18z has been down the pub all day, probably a Leeds fan.

surely it's going to be an outlier? it feels too good to be true and might be close to my personal definition of a beasterly! here it is at T192.

gfsnh-0-192.png?18

Edit: It actually brings widespread -12c uppers on Sunday, I somehow missed that! I want to wish for slightly lower thicknesses but maybe that's a bit cheeky!

18_162_ukthickness850.png

gfs-0-180.png

• Registered Users Posts: 26 T2Pauly

If these come to fruition will the Irish Sea snow machine be in full flow from Saturday ? Hoping we get buried ❄️ ❄️

Artane2002 wrote: »
    -12c uppers into eastern Northern Ireland, I don't think they'll make it further south though.

gfseuw-1-162.png?18
    Gfs O’Leary against ECM Lung (I think) ...

Yes its there! ; ) exceeded expectations. Need it to hold steady now and ECM to be a good boy and do as we tell it..

All go to bed happy to find that when we wake up the 00z runs have done a complete u-turn. We never learn!

• Advertisement

All go to bed happy to find that when we wake up the 00z runs have done a complete u-turn. We never learn!

Correct and we dry our tears and start all over again. Nice to see though.

gfseuw-1-162.png?18
    Your spot on!! Remains -11 everywhere else!

the -11s around most of the country could be rounded down to -12c so I'd be happy to be wrong this one time ;)

Still not convinced.
    Burnt too many times and heights remain flimsy.
    It could easily end up just dry and cold or Atlantic winning out.
    The trend is our friend for now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

the -11s around most of the country could be rounded down to -12c so I'd be happy to be wrong this one time ;)

Where are you seeing the -11 uppers figure on that chart? Or is this an in joke?

Still not convinced.
    Burnt too many times and heights remain flimsy.
    It could easily end up just dry and cold or Atlantic winning out.
    The trend is our friend for now!!

I'm also unconvinced but surprisingly it's not a cold outlier! There are nine runs that go colder than the op, with perturbation 11 bringing -14.5c uppers and the mean is -8.4c at its lowest. it'll probably be back down to earth on the 0z though?
    Where are you seeing the -11 uppers figure on that chart? Or is this an in joke?

I posted a chart from theweatheroutlook showing the -11/-12c uppers. it's at the top of the page if you're on the desktop website.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

icon-0-120.png?31-18

Setting up fairly nicely on ICON

gfs-0-180.png
    Beautiful chart
    A low heading SE for where the pesky iberian high used be
    I suppose I don't have to tell anyone what a northeasterly in -10 to -12 uppers would do from Louth to waterford
    Probably give them only few hour's to call friends in the next county inland warning them of what's coming before communications go down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

oohhh I have the OP for the build up thread ready and a full explanation of how this will compare to Tom Crean's Antarctic expedition for the average Joe :D

Just need the ECM on board

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

The Irish sea would be balmy compared to those temps!
    Snow machine on switch at the ready!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement