Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Can confirm it was mostly a slush fest when I lived in east Anglia. It actually snowed about 5 times a winter (didn’t lie) but was mostly around 8-12c. Contrast that to here where we pretty much have periodic cold spells each winter month and are guaranteed at least a few days of snow cover.

They always say it’s colder there than Northern Ireland but we get far more snow.

I remember being at a ice sculpture competition near the Thames during an easterly back in 2012, it felt colder than most easterlies i've experienced here. As you say though, it's definitely not the place to be if you like to see snow regularly. In my time there I saw sod all snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I remember being at a ice sculpture competition near the Thames during an easterly back in 2012, it felt colder than most easterlies i've experienced here. As you say though, it's definitely not the place to be if you like to see snow regularly. In my time there I saw sod all snow.
    I have lived in both Manchester (born there) and S. Yorks, and there is world of difference between both climates. Yorkshire much better for snow than here, but Manchester is even worse.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭circadian

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I have lived in both Manchester (born there) and S. Yorks, and there is world of difference between both climates. Yorkshire much better for snow than here, but Manchester is even worse.

Yeah I've lived around those areas too, Huddersfield/Halifax in particular always yielded great snow being in the Pennines and all that.

Manchester despite being a great city, the weather was more often than not muck of the highest order.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Manchester still does better than most of Ireland tho, certainly Dublin for snow in winter and warmth in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The weather in Manchester is very grim, certainly the times I was there. Glasgow is utterly horrendous. Never stops raining. While the Scottish highlands get a lot of snow I was surprised how little proper snow Glasgow and Edinburgh get.

quote="circadian;115757886"]Yeah I've lived around those areas too, Huddersfield/Halifax in particular always yielded great snow being in the Pennines and all that.

Manchester despite being a great city, the weather was more often than not muck of the highest order.[/quote]

• Advertisement

Not sure about that, Manchester gets little snow and their summers are definitely not good by any stretch. During a heat wave maybe but that’s more the south east east of England. Manchester has a miserable climate. They average over 900 mm of rain annually, Dublin closer to 700mm average.

That’s not to say Dublin has a good climate! It’s better than many parts of UK though. Scotland and northern half of England have abysmal weather,
    Gonzo wrote: »
    Manchester still does better than most of Ireland tho, certainly Dublin for snow in winter and warmth in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

they average over 900 mm of rain annually, Dublin closer to 700mm average.

Most of Ireland averages over 1000mm.

Gonzo is partly right. Manchester can occasionally get a skim of those SE England heatwaves, but all in all, it's climate is very similar to ours on a day by day basis (it's practically an Irish city anyway!)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I've never really been but I would have thought Dublin gets better summers than Manchester, looking at wikipedia they seem broadly comparable though, Manchester slightly warmer but Dublin drier so I'd probably take Dublin as the better.

I lived in SE England for a few years as well and saw next to no snow, winters aren't as miserable as we get in Ireland but they're deathly boring, just endless cloud and the odd day of light rain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

This is a technical discussion thread for FI models. I and am sure a lot more have no interest in whether the Manchester or South Yorkshire climate is more conductive to snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ok back to the discussion of charts, the GFS 12z has just begun rolling, so let's see what this brings over the next 90 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

This is a technical discussion thread for FI models. I and am sure a lot more have no interest in whether Manchester or South Yorkshires climate is more conductive to snow.

Indeed it is! Nothing too interesting on the models though, great synoptics in a normal winter with a blocked Atlantic and persistent northerlies & easterlies but there's just no cold air to draw from anywhere within a thousand miles

And looking at the bigger picture, the PV lobe currently over Canada looks set to migrate towards Siberia so it looks like we'll be fighting over scraps rather than seeing any deep cold spell in the next while

anim_qvi7.gif

Yes but Dublin has a better and drier climate than Manchester. I was referring to Dublin specifically but west / south west of Ireland certainly wetter
    Most of Ireland averages over 1000mm.

Gonzo is partly right. Manchester can occasionally get a skim of those SE England heatwaves, but all in all, it's climate is very similar to ours on a day by day basis (it's practically an Irish city anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    ok back to the discussion of charts, the GFS 12z has just begun rolling, so let's see what this brings over the next 90 minutes.

If those uppers with the east, northeast flow can drop a few degrees will be crucial,

-6,-7 just aint enough, -8,-9 is a different ball game.

I think looking towards mid January, it looks very promising
    Indeed it is! Nothing too interesting on the models though, great synoptics in a normal winter with a blocked Atlantic and persistent northerlies & easterlies but there's just no cold air to draw from anywhere within a thousand miles

And looking at the bigger picture, the PV lobe currently over Canada looks set to migrate towards Siberia so it looks like we'll be fighting over scraps rather than seeing any deep cold spell in the next while

anim_qvi7.gif

If those uppers with the east, northeast flow can drop a few degrees will be crucial,

-6,-7 just aint enough, -8,-9 is a different ball game.

I don't feel totally comfortable with an easterly until we start to see the -10 uppers appearing very close to us or over us. Anything below -8C is usually marginal with rain near the coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

All the models have the "trigger" low here in common to our northwest around 144 hrs.

Seems to all hinge on how that is going to drop. I guess having it drop right down over us is probably the best path. We absolutely don't want it too far west. We could do with a lowering of pressure over western Russia as well.

gfs-0-144.png?12

UW144-21.GIF?31-17

UKMO probably best for us so far.

This is how we want that to evolve...the low pressure slipping south smartly and an easterly flow in it's wake much more potent

gem-0-240.png?12

Actually GEM above (never too far away from ECM) is carrying a lot of cold air and snow with that system.

Afterward the beast is on track...

gem-1-240.png?12

GEM goes with a dusting in most places by the 10th of January. Hopefully this will upgrade more closer to the time.

GEMOPUK12_240_25.png

GFS goes for a low to moderate covering across the eastern half of Ireland by the same day.

240-780PUK.GIF?31-12

234-778PUK.GIF?31-12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

this is just a single perturbation and almost certainly an outlier so not to be taken seriously at all but WOW

gens-26-0-216.png

Artane2002 wrote: »
    this is just a single perturbation and almost certainly an outlier so not to be taken seriously at all but WOW

gens-26-0-216.png

yeah it's absolutely on it's own, -18 uppers across the country, about as likely as +20 uppers in August. Majority of the models are between 0C and -8C.

• Advertisement

Good ECM so far. Increasing risk of snow showers in the east next week particularly around Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Good ECM so far. Increasing risk of snow showers in the east next week particularly around Tuesday.

Into the freezer😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Into the freezer😉

It's good around Tuesday but less cold Wednesday. And the old problem of no deep cold continues. It's locked up there way up in Greenland, not much over Scandi and E Europe. SSW remains the hope. Still out of range of ECM so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ECM is trying to open the freezer door! Will it succeed?

537822.gif

Villain wrote: »

537822.gif

Did you just jinx it?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

537822.gif

I think we'd better bin this run.... Big low to the NW at 216. Can't be right surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Did you just jinx it?:P

Haha! Looks like it, very odd end to that run but just goes to show how FI can go.

Haha! Looks like it, very odd end to that run but just goes to show how FI can go.

Ironically the 240hr chart would give a dump of snow to Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

so am i right in saying "uppers" or the higher elevation weather is the key to all weather? i.e. it's where forecasting begins?

• Advertisement

uppers not great on that ECM, mostly holding between -3 and -6C, gets to -7C briefly and a mild end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement