Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Considering we're discussing Thursday, should these not be in the up to 120hrs thread? Would be useful to separate this event from possible much more uncertain future events.

Not that Thursday is certain by any means!

I think the whole forum is a mess right now! Difficult to follow anything if you're not watching every single post as it goes. Some better organisation would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I think the whole forum is a mess right now! Difficult to follow anything if you're not watching every single post as it goes. Some better organisation would go a long way.

Agreed for sure syranbruen, as many know I'm a regular contributor here however it's very messy at the moment and as you say difficult to follow, some resultant headaches and it's kinda taking the joy out of the forum really.

A dedicated technical thread really should be enacted, not due to any severity of event but simply due to the sheer volume of posting. Posts seem to be split between 4 different threads all in relation to the upcoming event this week and it's quite nightmarish.

Apologies as this is massively off topic, and even perhaps contributing to the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

Agreed for sure syranbruen, as many know I'm a regular contributor here however it's very messy at the moment and as you say difficult to follow, some resultant headaches and it's kinda taking the joy out of the forum really.

A dedicated technical thread really should be enacted, not due to any severity of event but simply due to the sheer volume of posting. Posts seem to be split between 4 different threads all in relation to the upcoming event this week and it's quite nightmarish.

Apologies as this is massively off topic, and even perhaps contributing to the problem!

Agreed except there are already technical threads set up. The <120 hour thread is sufficient for discussing Thursday's potential surely?. The "potential easterly sunday" chat thread needs a title edit or a new thread, we're already under an easterly and it's almost Monday!

Also apologies for OT post!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

<snip> does not meet standards of posting for this forum .

Removed by mod team

Rougies wrote: »
    Agreed except there are already technical threads set up. The <120 hour thread is sufficient for discussing Thursday's potential surely?. The "potential easterly sunday" chat thread needs a title edit or a new thread, we're already under an easterly and it's almost Monday!

Also apologies for OT post!

Considering we've already started and this will probably cleaned up, I don't see the harm in replying.

Yes I agree we have technical threads, however as we see this chat of Thursday is beginning to split between 2 technical threads and any chat of further out is being lost, hence my reasoning of having a separate technical thread for the event itself. The creiteria for setting up a technical thread should not be based on the severity of the event, rather the volume of posting, it is a forum after all!

I agree with the need for the change in name of thread, there's nothing potential about it, it's here! However a drop in the ocean compared to the other issues imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't agree that the forum is confusing right now. We have a thread dedicated to the cold and snow potential of the next few days, however it is getting very long at this stage with already over 100 pages in that thread and barely a flake has fallen anywhere. There are 2 technical threads, one for everything up to next week and the other one for fantasy island 120+ hours.

My personal opinion is creating a 3rd technical thread for a few days of streamers is a bit over the top and may lead to even more confusion. We have done this in the past for rare occasions and only in cases when there is a major nationwide weather event taking place. We did it for December 2010 and I think we did it for 2018 as well.

However, I don't see a problem with a new thread being created for Tuesday to Friday about the snow risk that can be used to discuss unfolding events with the streamers and Thursday's snow potential, but not a dedicated technical thread. The current thread is already over 100 pages and includes over a week of roller coasting. I don't see a problem with a new thread dedicated to this weeks snow for general discussion, photos of snow and of course the charts and radar reports.

Gonzo wrote: »
    There are 2 technical threads, one for everything up to next week and the other one for fantasy island 120+ hours.

Which is fair enough Gonzo, however this is the 120+ thread, and everyone's talking about Thursday here!

Fair enough about setting up a dedicated picture/discussion thread, I think that would be sufficient to solve alot of issues as opposed to a strictly technical thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Taking onboard some of the suggestions, please post here for the next few days for this week's event: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058157847

Only post and discuss charts beyond Friday here please!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The problem here rite now is the emotional reactions to each and every run by some posters , cries of winter is truly here to winter is over is the space of 24 hours .

If folks could lesson the dramatic posts it would be easier to follow , also the folks demanding this and that of the moderation team remember we are volunteers , with families and life’s going on out side of the forum and perhaps the demanding attitudes you show many be more of a problem than what you complain about .

The problem here rite now is the emotional reactions to each and every run by some posters , cries of winter is truly here to winter is over is the space of 24 hours .

If folks could lesson the dramatic posts it would be easier to follow , also the folks demanding this and that of the moderation team remember we are volunteers , with families and life’s going on out side of the forum and perhaps the demanding attitudes you show many be more of a problem than what you complain about .

I can't entirely disagree with you pistolpetes11, however at the end of the day, the threads have become quite messy (which, moderators have made a good effort this evening, comments taken on board and action taken, much appreciated) and there is levels of trolling that are higher than most previous events. It's getting very tiresome to read, and while a subjective view, many of us feel it's gone too far with some users, some of whom appear to be just be on the forum to wind up others and cause havoc.

Moderators are people, with their own lives and I can only imagine how tiresome it can be to wade their way through pages and pages of very similar posts. I'm not sure of any perfect solution here, perhaps a harder stance on general bickering and trolling? It's clear to see efforts are being made. I'm also not sure how many are demanding action or having demanding attitudes and I think that's a bit unfair to say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I can't entirely disagree with you pistolpetes11, however at the end of the day, the threads have become quite messy (which, moderators have made a good effort this evening, comments taken on board and action taken, much appreciated) and there is levels of trolling that are higher than most previous events. It's getting very tiresome to read, and while a subjective view, many of us feel it's gone too far with some users, some of whom appear to be just be on the forum to wind up others and cause havoc.

Moderators are people, with their own lives and I can only imagine how tiresome it can be to wade their way through pages and pages of very similar posts. I'm not sure of any perfect solution here, perhaps a harder stance on general bickering and trolling? It's clear to see efforts are being made. I'm also not sure how many are demanding action or having demanding attitudes and I think that's a bit unfair to say.

Be assured you don’t see the reported posts , so it’s quite fair to say .

I think also folks need to more mindful of the times we are living in , people are suffering through these trying times and all may not appear what it seems on the surface .

Some posters maybe, articulate there opinions different to others but it does not lessen there opinion or there knowledge , this always has been and always will be an open and inclusive space .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dazler97

That precipitation will not be "sleety" on Thursday, Friday :D

102-574UK.GIF?07-18

114-779UK.GIF?07-18

102-7UK.GIF?07-18

102-778UK.GIF?07-

A proper event there for a line north of roughly Wexford to Galway.

Omg yes I want that chart to happen perfect for my location in Carrick on Shannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

GFS 00z.shows classic battleground scenario between a deep Atlantic low and strong Scandinavian high pressure. We get squeezed between the two after this coming weekend. Anything can happen in that scenario. Cold southeast winds and frontal zones attacking from the southwest but unable to blast through. Rain sleet snow, or nothing at all may result. I've said it before, it's very 1947 esque but we don't have a quite a strong enough cold pool to the east. Very interesting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The GEM evolution looks quite plausible with all this energy in the Atlantic. The frigid easterly looks off the table. As does the Greenland High. The ECM and GFS both give opportunities for snow but will it actually be cold enough to give all snow, rather than a wintry mix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

GFS 06z again showing, a battle between deep low pressure in the eastern/mid North Atlantic, and strong High pressure over Scandinavia. We get squeezed but the upper air temps don't support wintry precip after this weekend. I hate to say cold rain, but it may come to that. Very strong southeasterlies too. The very cold weather gets shunted over the Balkans and SE Europe. It's a fascinating battle, but can the synoptics shift the very cold weather directly toward us? It can, and as ever, more runs needed to tease it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Way out in la la land. But greeny high and low going under.

gfsnh-0-348.png

GFS 06z again showing, a battle between deep low pressure in the eastern/mid North Atlantic, and strong High pressure over Scandinavia. We get squeezed but the upper air temps don't support wintry precip after this weekend. I hate to say cold rain, but it may come to that. Very strong southeasterlies too. The very cold weather gets shunted over the Balkans and SE Europe. It's a fascinating battle, but can the synoptics shift the very cold weather directly toward us? It can, and as ever, more runs needed to tease it out.

There has been a clear trend away from what the GFS was showing up to a couple of days ago.

I have my doubts we will return to charts showing deep cold, at least not through the easterly route anyway. With this in mind it will be interesting to see if tonights ECM also shows the Greenland High option again in the latter stage of its run.

24325202_ECH1-144(10).gif.2c488787937aeba20b2f1e05144595dc.gif

Well the ECM is trying to bring back the cold, but i think it won't quite make it on this run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

At 168 it looks like it might

At 168 it looks like it might

Yes. Energy seems to be going under! I thought that low would flatten it.

• Advertisement

Looks to be going to Greenland at day 10

ECH1-240_yys4.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That ECM is very interesting for the weekend and early next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It’s shaping up nicely, I am telling you some big snow is gonna happen, have that feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

It’s shaping up nicely, I am telling you some big snow is gonna happen, have that feeling

Love your confidence Slasher!
    I share it for what it's worth.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

anim_uar2.gif

Some crazy Atlantic blocking. In the right position it could be beautiful

anim_jiq8.gif

I'm praying it happens after all February may be technically spring but its also the coldest month of the year and also the most likely month for snow so bring it on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Dazler97 wrote: »
    I'm praying it happens after all February may be technically spring but its also the coldest month of the year and also the most likely month for snow so bring it on...

Technically it's always winter meteorologically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

Arduach wrote: »

And astronomically too but I will admit this is a meteorological section of Boards so happy to go by that calendar. Any other calendar only leads to confusion, especially with regards to record keeping.

Basically, winter is technically winter in most places that have 4 seasons except for people that still follow the Pagan calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Another downgrade for Thursday's snow on the ECM. Brings it in much later and doesn't last as long as it's 00z run.

All in all this week has been a flop in my eyes. Disappointing but it's only weather.

• Advertisement

Arduach wrote: »

Yes haha especially if this feckin country lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement