Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭TRC10

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Everyone bar Henderson is back in training or will have returned by the end of the week. If that's the case then I expect Furlong, VDF and Ryan go straight into the starting XV. Farrell says he's hopeful Henderson will be fit for the Wales fixture, but I don't think he'd risk someone who hasn't played for his province in months or trained fully with Ireland.

https://www.the42.ie/carbery-henderson-ireland-5664910-Jan2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If everyone except Henderson is fit, then really the only selection debates are;

• Ringrose or Aki
    • Who plays on the wings

I'm sure we'll find something to row about though.

Hopefully Hendo is at least fit enough to get time off the bench, get him primed for France.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Had heard he was doubtful? If fit, him at 7 and POM at 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Will also be debate over who starts 9.

For me I believe Murray will be back in at scrum half.

While JGP brings "somethng different" I belive Murray is a better all round player.

Id have Murray as a more accurate SH. Better defender, better decision maker, better kicker, better box kicker and more of a leader within the team. Better back field defender. If sexton calf tightens up I'd prefer to have Murray taking the kick at goal than ringrose or any of the other options.

While JGP has some positive attritubites he is not better rugby player than Murray.

His accuracy of pass especially left to right is sketchy and his defending is not as good as Murray. Last years 6 nations game v France particularly highlighted that.

People won't agree obviously but I say that as more of a leinster fan than a munster fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The November series was all about finally establishing and bedding in the style of rugby Farrell wants from his Ireland side. Seeing as JGP started the most important games of that series and played extremely well in them, I can't see him not being our starting 9 for the Wales game.

I don't think he's guaranteed to be a starter for the entire Championship. But he has a lot of credit in the bank right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Also At the time before the Japan match Murray was also lacking game time after not playing in the lead up to the november games because of his involvement with the lions.

Now Murray has started in the last 4 H-cup games for munster since November and due to cancellations JGP has started just 1 game in nearly 7 weeks. A training match v montpellier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

How anyone could want Murray starting after watching the struggles in the Argentina game is beyond. Night and day difference in tempo from jgp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I doubt Murray starts. Unless JGP picks up an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Reading online that only Henderson isnt going to be available as it stands. Pack will pretty much pick itself at that.

Porter Kelleher Furlong

Ryan Beirne

Doris Conan VDF

backline a bit more up for grabs I’d think

I think 9/10 will be as expected and 2 from 3 in the centre. Keenan nailed on and the wings might fall a few ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The lack of gametime won't determine much IMO. AF clearly wants us playing a different way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Now Murray has started in the last 4 H-cup games for munster since November and due to cancellations JGP has started just 1 game in nearly 7 weeks. A training match v montpellier.

?? Murray has played four games since November and JGP has played three. This won't come into the equation, just like it wasn't an issue for the November games.

There are plenty of reasons to pick Murray, and it wouldn't be a shock if he was picked, but it would mean another change in game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

No he didn't he was in his right position, it was a good pass last man is always fullback. He nearly got back for the chip through but Jordan got a good bounce. It was simply good attack by NZ.

There’s a slight difference in that Murray had only played 40 mins before the November games, so JGP had more rugby then.

But even still, I’d have expected JGP to start then, the same as I expect him to start now (even given Murray’s good form over the last few games. Some of his passing and service has been much improved).

It's very noticeable how different we play with JGP at 9 rather than Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

I would say most likely it will be. Sexton IMHO is still the clear number 1 at 10. We badly need someone to emerge as his clear successor but it just has not happened so far and nobody looks even close to clearly being the man to take over from Sexton at the moment.

Nobody bar Carty and Burns are getting the game time to 'emerge'. And I'd argue Carty has emerged as a viable successor this season.

Leinster and Munster have a new 10 every week which makes it impossible for anyone to really put themselves in the shop window.

Ben Healy was really good v Wasps, and if he get's a run of games I think he could become a serious option. But the problem is they might just start Crowley this week and Carbery will probably go straight back in after the 6N, so it's impossible for anyone to get any rhythm, which is so important for a 10.

That's why I think one of the young lads at Munster needs to go up north, because in Burns (who is a decent player and get's a lot of unfair stick) we have a guy playing every week who we know isn't good enough for Ireland, so from an Irish point of view that game time is being wasted when it could be going to a young 10 with higher potential.

And btw I don't think the IRFU should be forcing any moves, but Healy or Crowley need to think about their own careers and their international ambitions. Because it's lack of game time that's holding them back and there's not enough of it at Munster for the both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Now that Carbery is back in training there’s a decision to be made about who gets the fly half bench spot. Farrell has Carbery in the squad so I’ve no doubt he’ll be in the match day squads at least for the last 3 games. The question is does he go straight in on the bench against Wales or does Carty get the chance.

On the wings with Lowe out I think Conway and Baloucoune starting is the way to go. Larmour filling the number 23 jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

if Murray starts we are back to square one. it would be utter madness. you can't be chopping and changing your nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Good to have you back Niall. You're as bubbly and positive as ever I see

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

ha

i don't think he will start Murray so its all moot

theres not much to complain about. strong squad, rewarding form etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I agree tbf - don't see Murray starting bar injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

New Law at scrums to be trialed during 6N

Frum English Times

-------------------

The law trial is designed to ensure that the packs hold their own weight on the bind phase, retaining a small gap between the front rows, and do not begin applying pressure until they engage. It will be mandatory for hookers in the men’s, women’s and under-20 Six Nations to keep one foot forward during the bind phase of the scrum engagement sequence, acting as a brake.

If the hooker has both feet back it is impossible for the pack to hold its weight and axial loading is the inevitable outcome. The punishment for a hooker not using a brake foot will be a free kick.

-------------------

One of the potential factors for further examination is whether the locks need to take a split stand — with only one knee on the floor — because rising up from both knees pushes weight forward on to the front row. “This is a complicated area. There is no quick fix,” Quinlan said.

-----------------

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Why are they so resistant to sequential binding? It's the obvious way to resolve issues of stability and early pushing.

Personally don't think we'll see either go anywhere before the end of next season at the earliest because of 1) Carbery's continued injury issues and 2) the outgoing coach; they may back themselves to become the starting 10 under whoever comes in.

If anyone, it'll be Jake Flannery leaving first I'd imagine.

• Administrators Posts: 53,483 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You mean the second rows not binding until the 2 front rows have already bound?

I'd actually flip that the other way and suggest that the coaching stability up at Ulster, the good brand of rugby and the strong likelihood of game time given their 10 situation, would make it an appealing option for Healy or Crowley.

Has Healy renewed his contract yet? His performance v Wasps will have Townsend sniffing around.

• Advertisement

Healy signed another 1 year contract this year keeping him here until 2023. Same as previously mentioned, I think Flannery will be the one to leave. He signed a 1 year contract this year and hasn't played a minute yet. He was an unused sub in the game away to Castres. Think he may also have been an unused sub earlier in the season.

Advertisement