Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

aloooof wrote: »
    Or a dodgy law firm.
    Sounds like the law firm from hell.

I suppose imitation is the greatest form of flattery! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I suppose imitation is the greatest form of flattery! :pac:

That was obviously dawdling around my subconscious the last while.

Whatever’s out that, I’d like to hear Christy Moore’s version of Covid, Coffee and Cosby.

Actually, on second thoughts… yer grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

For me, it'd all depend on the rest of the selection. If you put Hume at 13, an experienced wing makes sense. If you have more experience at 13, you gain more from looking at a new winger. You want to blood as many players as you can into a team that plays as similarly as possible to the first team. It's a balancing act.

Or maybe playing a 13-14 combo that know each other from provincial rugby makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

For me, it'd all depend on the rest of the selection. If you put Hume at 13, an experienced wing makes sense. If you have more experience at 13, you gain more from looking at a new winger. You want to blood as many players as you can into a team that plays as similarly as possible to the first team. It's a balancing act.

Fast forward 12 months and Baloucoune is more likely to be in the Irish 23 than James Hume as Ringrose, Henshaw and Aki will be hard to shift. Given Earls's age there is going to be a gap on the right wing sooner rather than later, so I'd say getting Baloucoune exposure is more important. But ideally the two of them will get a run on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

With Farrell gone, no matter who starts in the center it will be a first cap. Or certainly a first cap in the center if they start Daly there. That might influence the decision of wether Baloucoune starts or benches.

• Advertisement

Isn't Addison available?

bilston wrote: »
    Fast forward 12 months and Baloucoune is more likely to be in the Irish 23 than James Hume as Ringrose, Henshaw and Aki will be hard to shift. Given Earls's age there is going to be a gap on the right wing sooner rather than later, so I'd say getting Baloucoune exposure is more important. But ideally the two of them will get a run on Saturday.

Since Earls is aging in reverse, we have a good 14 or so years to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Isn't Addison available?

Yeah, think he was suspended for Japan?

Will be interesting to see if he's viewed as a centre or a full back.

Stockdale, JGP, Joey, Stu, Addison, Baloucone, Deegan for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stockdale, JGP, Joey, Stu, Addison, Baloucone, Deegan for me anyway.

Is this a backline? I'm confused, but particularly thrown by Deegan's inclusion!

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Is this a backline? I'm confused, but particularly thrown by Deegan's inclusion!

Apologies. I conflate all these Leinster boys with preposterous Christian names.

Keenan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Isn't Addison available?

Completely forgot about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

My selection below but expecting that’s way too many changes to be close, Farrell will probably not make nearly as many changes.

Byrne, Heffernan, O’Toole,
    Baird, Ryan,
    Wycherley, Coombes, Boyle,
    Gibson-Park, H. Byrne,
    Stockdale, Daly, Addison, Baloucoune,
    Keenan.

Herring, Dooley, Ryan, Moloney, Timoney, Blade, Carbery, Hume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

TRC10 wrote: »
    You just know Conway will start on the right wing...

This thread could be ugly this time on Thursday

explain why that is a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Because people would be unhappy if Baloucoune doesn't feature

Because people would be unhappy if Baloucoune doesn't feature

theres another wing and a bench spot though

and up until his recent drop in form, conway was probably irelands best winger for the last few years

he wasnt great this season at all but he deserves another go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭TRC10

Because Conway is 30 and has been off form since October 2020 and Baloucoune has been in great form, scored 3 tries in 7 starts for Ulster when Conway has scored 1 I think all season, is great in defense and in the air and is 23 with heaps of potential and these summer games are for blooding new players who will be part of the team at the World Cup and we're learning nothing by starting Conway in a one off summer test at home to the USA. It would be a huge opportunity missed if Baloucoune doesn't start. He'd be there on merit too. He's been electric for Ulster. His 2 finishes vs Leinster in February were world class.

and up until his recent drop in form, conway was probably irelands best winger for the last few years

What Conway deserves doesn't supersede what Ireland need.

I'm a huge Conway fan, always have been. He should have been starting at the World Cup as he was the best winger. But the reality is his form fell off a cliff and Baloucoune has been much better.

Let Conway play his way back to form for Munster. But in the meantime, Ireland have a world cup to plan for and this USA game is the perfect opportunity for Baloucoune to get a start.

stockdale and larmour got starts last week despite not being in great form, if they started then conway deserves a start
    But the reality is his form fell off a cliff and Baloucoune has been much better.
    hyperbole. the reality is he got injured and probably came back much too early. he was average at best for a while and was getting back into good form towards the end of the season. not amazing form, but good enough for someone with the credit in the bank that he has to deserve another shot
    Let Conway play his way back to form for Munster. But in the meantime, Ireland have a world cup to plan for and this USA game is the perfect opportunity for Baloucoune to get a start.
    then why single out conway in the post (i cant remember if it was yours originally or if it was another poster)? why not just say i hope RB gets to start next week rather than dragging down a player who has largely been fantastic in every opportunity hes been given?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is zero point in playing Conway against the USA, what he "deserves" is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

And what Ireland need is ultimately up to Farrell. Maybe that'll be Conway.

In any case, I think Balacoune will start (and fwiw, would also prefer him to start). But getting annoyed about a single selection before the squad is even announced isn't really worth it, imo.

stockdale and larmour got starts last week despite not being in great form, if they started then conway deserves a start

Because last week we were playing a far better team than the USA and Farrell clearly deliberately only selected already established players. Larmour has been in very good form, soring braces against the European champions. And Stockdale has been playing out of position at 15 for Ulster but is one of our most prolific try scorers ever.
    hyperbole. the reality is he got injured and probably came back much too early. he was average at best for a while and was getting back into good form towards the end of the season. not amazing form, but good enough for someone with the credit in the bank that he has to deserve another shot

Again, he might deserve a shot, but Ireland would benefit far more from starting RB against the States.
    then why single out conway in the post

Because it's either Conway or Baloucoune who'll be starting at 14 this week.

And what Ireland need is ultimately up to Farrell.

Ok but isn't the whole point of the thread for everyone to have opinions and discuss them?

If the response is always "well ultimately everything is up to Farrell" what's the point in discussing anything?

And what Ireland need is ultimately up to Farrell. Maybe that'll be Conway.

In any case, I think Balacoune will start (and fwiw, would also prefer him to start). But getting annoyed about a single selection before the squad is even announced isn't really worth it, imo.
    nail on the head here
    And Stockdale has been playing out of position at 15 for Ulster but is one of our most prolific try scorers ever.
    and conway is one of munsters top try scorers....... (arguably playing out of position too but at this stage not really)
    Again, he might deserve a shot, but Ireland would benefit far more from starting RB against the States.
    that depends on what the pecking order actually is going forward
    Because it's either Conway or Baloucoune who'll be starting at 14 this week.
    that wasnt my point, im saying why drag another player down rather than just say you want RB to start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Recipe for improving a squad - Pick on form and if a decision is in the balance pick the younger player.

Ok but isn't the whole point of the thread for everyone to have opinions and discuss them?

If the response is always "well ultimately everything is up to Farrell" what's the point in discussing anything?

Ah look, I just don't see much point in getting annoyed about a selection decision that hasn't even happened yet.

Particularly when Farrell, more than any of his predecessors, seems willing to give inexperienced and young lads a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ah look, I just don't see much point in getting annoyed about a selection decision that hasn't even happened yet.

Particularly when Farrell, more than any of his predecessors, seems willing to give inexperienced and young lads a go.

Before the last WC there was a rumour Aki wasn’t getting picked and we had someone jumping up and down claiming they weren’t going to watch the the matches. This nonsense keeps happening, people decide who should be in a team, talk it up for weeks to the point where they’ve basically decided it’s a sure thing, then when it doesn’t happen they are going on like shiny new toy has been dropped. Every year against Italy we get a list of who should play then when it’s only a couple of changes it’s outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I think I would go with:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Finlay Bealham
    4. Quinn Roux/Jean Kleyn
    5. James Ryan
    6. Fineen Wycherley
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Joey Carbery
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    12. Stuart McCloskey
    13. James Hume
    14. Robert Baloucoune
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. Rob Herring
    17. Edward Byrne
    18. Tom O'Toole
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Gavin Coombes
    21. Craig Casey
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Tom Daly

Daly covering the centres. Wing covered by Hume or Gibson-Park switching there. And fullback covered by Carbery.

I think they should switch Ryan to loosehead lock and call in Kleyn or preferably Roux to play tighthead lock.

nail on the head here

Forgive me if the "In Farrell we trust" mantra has yet to be instilled in me
    that wasnt my point, im saying why drag another player down rather than just say you want RB to start

Dragging him down? By pointing out he's been off form, seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am almost certain I am being baited here.

But Roux has signed for Toulon, so should not be picked.

Advertisement