Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2020: ROUND 15 bahrain GP1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I can't understand how he managed to get out of the car but thank god he's OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

So lucky to be at the start of the race too, i know he got away himself but that safety/medical car was on the scene so quick as it was the first lap.

The marshall and his extinguisher was pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Jesus. Watching him trying to get out of the car is a hard watch.

The only other time I had that feeling was watching 9/11.

Question is what happened to his car to veer off like that?
    Grosjean happened.
    geotrig wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's more or less protocol these days to not show replays for big crashed shunts until all is seen to be ok? There was so much happening it's hard to make out what happened from what I've seen so far
    It being near a marshall post would be something they'd need to check a few times to make sure none of them were hurt.
    H3llR4iser wrote: »
    How the hell do they still allow steel guard rails around a racetrack - it's been proven time and again they're just unsuitable for the job, as they tend to "grab and slice" - exactly like happened here. Even a concrete wall would've been a much better solution there - the car sliding across it and dispersing energy.
    For the millions upon millions they spend it's baffling. In this case though it was head-on which the HANS may not have been enough to save him.
    Also, the chassis did its job to a T - breaking at the designated stress point (behind the driver). Magnificient engineering.
    I'm wondering why the front of the car burned so much, the flammable stuff should/would be apart from the survival part of the car. Unless the fuel got jettisoned forward into the front half of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Thank **** he got out. Without the Halo his head would've come clean off, without the HANS he probably would've been badly knocked out (at an absolute minimum) and the extraction would have been difficult.

100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

That looks like Grosjeans last F1 race. Broken ribs, don't see him coming back

Anyway, back to racing. Bottas is ****ing pathetic. :pac: Do they still go back to original starting grid if there's a red flag on lap 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Suspected broken ribs which is not surprising

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Reports saying he has broken ribs, he did some job to get out of the car in that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Sky saying broken ribs for him. Man he is so lucky .
    At least he walked away . I cannot see him racing again
    What a terrible way to end your F1 career .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

antodeco wrote: »

If that's the case really is an awful way to finish off your f1 career

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Steiner

"We got lucky today and id rather have this luck then racing luck"

Spot on Gunther.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Grosjean happened.

QFT, unfortunately. He kept the same steering angle in after the kink as he had through the kink which basically led him straight to the scene of the contact with Kvyat's left front.
    Do they still go back to original starting grid if there's a red flag on lap 1?

Nope. Race is suspended, they will restart on Lap 3 in the order at the time of the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Unbelievable.. Poor Romain Grosjean, feel sorry for him... wish him all the best and a speedy recovery. We could be seeing Hulkenberg or maybe Kubica make another return to f1... could we even see Schumacher in Abu Dhabi??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭geotrig

Joeface wrote: »
    Sky saying broken ribs for him. Man he is so lucky .
    At least he walked away . I cannot see him racing again
    What a terrible way to end your F1 career .

No he is alive so a good way to end your f1 carrer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

PsychoPete wrote: »
    If that's the case really is an awful way to finish off your f1 career

Not to sound harsh but so many have had their last race after an impact like that for other reasons. He walked away from his last F1 race, he will be over the moon.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

How has Karun spotted that piece of debris?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

For the millions upon millions they spend it's baffling. In this case though it was head-on which the HANS may not have been enough to save him.
    Also, the chassis did its job to a T - breaking at the designated stress point (behind the driver). Magnificient engineering.
    I'm wondering why the front of the car burned so much, the flammable stuff should/would be apart from the survival part of the car. Unless the fuel got jettisoned forward into the front half of the car.

Fuel all around - it did indeed get jettisoned to the front, it's just physics.

Let's be clear - the culprit here, making the accident orders of magnitude worse than it was, is 100% the flimsy steel guard rail in that place. It failed in more ways than one - it broke immediately, allowing the front of the car through, then grabbed on it, creating enough shock to tear apart the rear of the car. This (and the fact they tend to dismember motorbikers) is the reason why not even ordinary newly constructed motorways use them anymore, opting instead for concrete jersey barriers.

And the worst thing is that this isn't an old school track, this is newly built.

Bit of debris got near his tyre just before he turned sharply to the right

antodeco wrote: »

When you think of the close calls he's been in it should have happened a while ago.
    I know there has to an element of "fearlessness" for F1/racing drivers but they all need a massive wake-up call. That accident was caused by Grosjean doing something that you would get a bollocking for in your first driving lesson. Bianchi's accident was caused by going at 150mph in torrential rain through an area that the told him to slow down and prepare to stop in.

Speeds keep increasing with fewer consequences. Eventually (should already be the case really) there'll be no barrier that isn't SAFER or Tecpro. At some point after that a car will lift off or flip over a barrier and the only option will be to have a couple of hundred meter exclusion zone around the circuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Trampas

His glove on right hand looks half on when getting over barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

When you think of the close calls he's been in it should have happened a while ago.
    I know there has to an element of "fearlessness" for F1/racing drivers but they all need a massive wake-up call. That accident was caused by Grosjean doing something that you would get a bollocking for in your first driving lesson. Bianchi's accident was caused by going at 150mph in torrential rain through an area that the told him to slow down and prepare to stop in.

Speeds keep increasing with fewer consequences. Eventually (should already be the case really) there'll be no barrier that isn't SAFER or Tecpro. At some point after that a car will lift off or flip over a barrier and the only option will be to have a couple of hundred meter exclusion zone around the circuit.

I think you are spot on, and this incident will be the catalyst.

I expect they will mandate it from next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Fair play to the medic fighting the heat to help him out. All first on the scene did a great job. Fair play to them.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Loving these anecdotes about the medical car staff here.

Fair play to the medic fighting the heat to help him out. All first on the scene did a great job. Fair play to them.

He was very 'lucky' that the crash happened on the first lap and the safety car was still out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Shocking start from Bottas, nothing new there I suppose

Reckon a few guys will switch to hard tyres now and try a 1 stop

Incidentally apart from Grosean that was a very scrappy opening lap

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Shocking start from Bottas, nothing new there I suppose

Lewis Max on front row

Sergio right behind Lewis

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Fuel all around - it did indeed get jettisoned to the front, it's just physics.
    It's a very strange one, usually with high speed accidents you're not expecting a car to become stuck like that.
    Let's be clear - the culprit here, making the accident orders of magnitude worse than it was, is 100% the flimsy steel guard rail in that place. It failed in more ways than one - it broke immediately, allowing the front of the car through, then grabbed on it, creating enough shock to tear apart the rear of the car. This (and the fact they tend to dismember motorbikers) is the reason why not even ordinary newly constructed motorways use them anymore, opting instead for concrete jersey barriers.

And the worst thing is that this isn't an old school track, this is newly built.
    I agree those barriers shouldn't be around BUT, a few years ago with a higher nose, the car doesn't get wedged like that. A concrete barrier there with a head-on accident and you're talking massive, massive head injuries.

Advertisement