Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2020: ROUND 15 bahrain GP1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Feeling sick to the stomach seeing the aftermath.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Fearing the worst when they didn't show a replay. Thank **** he's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Very lucky boy - he caused it too by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

So relieved to see him get out, when we didn't see a replay i feared the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

How he walks away from that god only knows. Worst crash I have ever seen. Great engineering saved his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Question is what happened to his car to veer off like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Why? Should be grand.

That barrier could take several hours minimum to repair. It's nearly 6pm over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Obviously that barrier is not designed to take that kind of impact, it is a freak accident that has took the car into it at that angle.

The more i see it the more i wonder how the hell he got out - looks like he was on the other side of the barrier? but it looks like the halo was lodged in the barriers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭geotrig

I'm assuming it's more or less protocol these days to not show replays for big crashed shunts until all is seen to be ok? There was so much happening it's hard to make out what happened from what I've seen so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

How the hell do they still allow steel guard rails around a racetrack - it's been proven time and again they're just unsuitable for the job, as they tend to "grab and slice" - exactly like happened here. Even a concrete wall would've been a much better solution there - the car sliding across it and dispersing energy.

Also, the chassis did its job to a T - breaking at the designated stress point (behind the driver). Magnificient engineering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

He cut across and his rear wheel launched off the front wheel of his teamate i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭sioda

Holy hell watching F1 for 30 years that's one of the worst and he walked away unreal

From the helicopter shot is looks like he cut across another driver and clipped him with his right rear tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That last replay looks lile his right rear is wobbling before he hits Kyvat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Did he just try to cut across the pack and end up hittibg Kvyat or did something on the car fail

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

He clipped Kvyat and lost control.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

geotrig wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's more or less protocol these days to not show replays for big crashed shunts until all is seen to be ok? There was so much happening it's hard to make out what happened from what I've seen so far

Yeah that’s generally the case in all sport. Even in soccer they won’t show a replay if it’s a really bad leg break.

He cut across and his rear wheel launched off the front wheel of his teamate i think.

Yeah the first replays it looked like he veered off wildly like something mechanically before he clipped Kvyat

Jaysus Kvyat must be absolutely shook after that

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    That last replay looks lile his right rear is wobbling before he hits Kyvat

Yeah I genuinely think there looks to be a sudden failure of sorts there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Unbelievable how he walked away from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Wow. That really is insane

Screenshot-20201129-143131.jpg

Faugheen wrote: »
    Yeah I genuinely think there looks to be a sudden failure of sorts there.

That's what I was thinking. It was a very random cut across with such a little gap. It was either a rookie mistake or something pulled him to the right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Looking at the shots of the front half of the car, it is just astonishing that he walked away...

I wonder what the psychological impact of a crash like that is on a driver.

It would be enough to make some hang up the gloves.

Fire usually isn't that big of a deal now, the fireproofs really do their jobs but it really drives home the scale of the impacts which usually don't look particularly bad.

Slightly different one above, Indycars at the time had safety cells which separated from the flammable area/fluid of the car.

Thank **** he got out. Without the Halo his head would've come clean off, without the HANS he probably would've been badly knocked out (at an absolute minimum) and the extraction would have been difficult.

Might be worth revisiting the low nose design. And maybe a reminder to drivers to look in their mirrors before manoeuvring.

Tzardine wrote: »
    I wonder what the psychological impact of a crash like that is on a driver.

It would be enough to make some hang up the gloves.

Honestly wonder how the other drivers are feeling. Dont think anyone would blame them for not racing again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Cant see the race restarting, that barrier is in bits, and even if they fix it, it is shown to be at the wrong angle to the track.

The HALO saved his life there. i cant see Romain racing again in f1 - two more races - what's the point.

Holy ****. He sat in that for a long time. He is amazingly lucky.

That was hard to watch.

The more I look at it the worse it is. How has Romain survived that??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Jesus, he was sitting in a ball of fire

Advertisement