Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x07 - 'Unification III' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

Jesus Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Jesus Christ

How long before someone says Mikey is bigger than Jesus ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why isn't the blonde one the xo? Tilly is nice but makes no sense and is always crying. If there was a hr dept in the place they'd all be in trouble

Stop whispering, burnham. Thank god I have subtitles. Surprised nobody is pulling her up on it. I mean if it were real

Is this milat qoat people the ones from Picard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

When they try to return to their own time they go too far into the past and Mikey becomes Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I assume someone on board is researching all the old sports results so when they get back they can live off the betting profits.

Biff's almanac.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The stakes are so much higher now? Than saving all sentient life in the universe?!

Jesus Mike burnham is even the saviour of spock now. Give me a break

"just say yes" lads if you need a prop up party for someone like this (crying again) maybe she shouldn't be xo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭pah

Right I'm out, for real this time. I'll check back at the end of the season to see if it's improved but I just can't watch anymore. Few good episodes here and there but season 3 has been atrocious.

Nice to see Nimoy but the whole "how much was Spock who he was because of you Mikey" at the end just finished me off. I mean even within the continuity of it's own sh1t stirring retconning universe they didn't have a great relationship and they only reconciled for 5 minutes before she fuçked off to the future :mad: :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

corkie wrote: »
    When was it ever said that it was soundproof? Georgiou talked to Leland last season when he was locked in it? (Probably activated an Intercom?)

What was the point of them going in there if it wasn't more private, I.e. soundproof?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have to say that this season is beyond disappointing, it's actually totally c*rap.

I have been on here from time to time and never let rip like others cuz I did like some of it and so ignored things I'd be within my rights to criticise but I have now lost total interest in it altogether. Last weeks episode was the tipping point.

I probably will watch it till the end of the season but you know what, I hope it gets dismal ratings and consequently scrapped altogether. It's an embarrassment to the Star Trek franchise.

I'm watching it, now, out of a morbid curiosity around how bad it can get.

How do they manage to touch on so many good things and get them all so wrong. Vulcan's termination of membership, Vulcan/Romulan reunification (would have hoped Picard touched on this, to be honest), Vulcan society unrest after the reunification.

Because of course only Burnham can go to Ni'var (Vulcan FFS), of course the one time that others try to use her saviour-hood she tries to refuse.
    Because of course her mother, in all the places in the universe (time and space), is on Vulcan.
    Because of course her human mother gets accepted as a Romulan warrior nun.
    Because of course Burnham (of 900 years ago tech) is the only one to see time discrepancies.
    Because of course the newly unified society is ready to fall apart, but for a few words from Burnham.
    Because they had to make Spock only be Spock because of his interaction with Burnham.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Oh if you think that's a loose end they never wrapped up I'm guessing you've yet to see the magic AI space station that repairs ships! Dead Stop, great little episode....I may have rewatched a small bit of older Trek series during lockdown Mk 1!
    corkie wrote: »
    Shows how good old trek shows where that I have good memories of that episode 18 years later. Discovery probably won't leave such an impression.

Re-watched Season 2 of discovery recently and had forgotten most episodes in the year. General memories of the overall plot but not specific episodes.

Just watched it this morning, looks like I missed huge chunks after season 1. At least its something to do over Christmas.

Funny watching this, I would have pinned Enterprise as very weak but it highlights huge issues with Discovery, even Archers attitude to their investigation, and what appears to be a minor (in comparison to Michaels) bit of boldness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Does anyone else remember in The Next Generation when they tried doing the whole Wesley is some kinda great God type dealio with the Traveler, and the fans and cast hated it so they totally moved on from the whole idea.

Why the hell, after 3 god damn seasons are Discovery still pushing this nonsense with Burnham.

I'm not a fan of Tilly being the XO, but it's a character progression. Sure, in any real sense it makes no sense to make an Ensign the First Officer, other than plot stuff, it would have been like making Harry Kim the First Officer because people liked him.

Saru talking to and dealing with the Vulcan command is great, he has an inherent understanding of their way of thinking.

Last week the Admiral hated Burnham, but now he wants to let her do what she wants because Spock.

Saru needed to promote Tilly to full Lt. at least.
    To be honest, she would deserve that rank at this stage.

That plus his saying I trust you, the crew trusts you, you are a quick thinker, and (yes) you follow orders would have made sense.
    In particular in that he does trust her and he judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm glad to a certain extent that there's a level of self-awareness in the writers room about how overspecced Burnham is. I like her bull being called out by her mother and Book, the "messianic complex". But they don't seem to be doing anything to rein it in.

I was genuinely hopeful that we'd see Burnham take off in search of the Burn, to pop up again every five or six episodes, looking increasingly more defeated every time.

I don't think Tilly as XO is that bad a plot point. She's way overdue a promotion to lieutenant anyway. Its sticking with the theme of disarray that Starfleet is in, and is doing it's best with what it has, dispensing of many of the formal niceties it had the privilege to follow in TNG.

I agree with a previous post though that the series is managed to limp along despite itself. It has strong episode set-ups, a whole new galaxy of possibilities to work off, but has written itself into a corner with it's reliance on a single individual who must be all things to all sentient life.

The tiniest adjustment to this episode could have saved the whole thing without changing the ending;

Burnham gets her ass handed to her. Like fully humiliated, her invoking Spock's name a complete joke because she doesn't really understand what he stood for. Her mother still helps her come to understand that she wants to be in Starfleet.

Saru's discussions with the President are what swings it. His candour, his genuineness and his respect impress her enough to trust Discovery with the data.

Same story, same outcome, but Burnham (finally) learns that solo runs and bullying people to get your way, don't always work. It would be even more devastating for her to learn this on "home ground"; that Saru succeeded in diplomacy with her adopted people, and she failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Worst episode of any Star Trek show I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

D3V!L wrote: »
    Worst episode of any Star Trek show I've ever seen.

Nah, that title still goes to TNG: Code of Honor. Even typing in to Google "that really racist episode of Star Trek TNG brings you right to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

CramCycle wrote:
    Just watched it this morning, looks like I missed huge chunks after season 1. At least its something to do over Christmas.

Ditto.... Watching that was a breath of fresh air! Starting an ENT rewatch now. I didn't dislike it as a trek show at the time but i seem to have forgotten some eps, so it's nice on two levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Nah, that title still goes to TNG: Code of Honor. Even typing in to Google "that really racist episode of Star Trek TNG brings you right to it.

TNG Sub Rosa. Rapey candle ghost on Scotland planet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

CramCycle wrote: »

Funny watching this, I would have pinned Enterprise as very weak but it highlights huge issues with Discovery, even Archers attitude to their investigation, and what appears to be a minor (in comparison to Michaels) bit of boldness.

I wasn't a big fan of Enterprise when it aired, and it was the only Trek show since TNG that I didn't watch as it aired (though that could be to do with not having the channels in college) but I have found myself dipping in and out of it in the past year or so and enjoying it more. I think it helps that out of TNG, DS9 and VOY it's the one I rewatched the least.

It is the weakest of the TNG era shows, and I think that you are seeing the issues surrounding poor development of the characters, but it did have some pretty fun episodes along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Liked the vulcan but but what was that nonsense about saying yes.
    Biggest load of cr@p ever.
    An ensign whose a first officer. Didn't even promote her.

• Advertisement

Liked the vulcan but but what was that nonsense about saying yes.
    Biggest load of cr@p ever.
    An ensign whose a first officer. Didn't even promote her.

Im Spartacus
    Im Spartacus
    Im Spartacus
    Im Spartacus and so is my wife

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

Jesus Christ

"
    Booker asks if Burnham has always focused so closely on major mysteries such as the Burn. She replies that Spock similarly observed that she takes responsibility "for everything". Booker remarks that he and Spock could have bonded over Burnham's
    "endearing messianic complex."

"

^^^ https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Unification_III_(episode)

A messiah complex (Christ complex or savior complex) is a state of mind in which an individual holds a belief that they are destined to become a savior today or in the near future. The term can also refer to a state of mind in which an individual believes that they are responsible for saving or assisting others

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wasn't a big fan of Enterprise when it aired, and it was the only Trek show since TNG that I didn't watch as it aired (though that could be to do with not having the channels in college) but I have found myself dipping in and out of it in the past year or so and enjoying it more. I think it helps that out of TNG, DS9 and VOY it's the one I rewatched the least.

It is the weakest of the TNG era shows, and I think that you are seeing the issues surrounding poor development of the characters, but it did have some pretty fun episodes along the way.

Started watching Enterprise again myself. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Season 3 run. I haven't tried rewatching other seasons yet, I have memories of them being pretty underwhelming.

Stark wrote: »
    Started watching Enterprise again myself. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Season 3 run. I haven't tried rewatching other seasons yet, I have memories of them being pretty underwhelming.

My rewatch was surprisingly good too. The early seasons have plenty of nice stand alone weird planet or monster of the week episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Reading all your comments about how bad this show/episode is gives me reason to smile. If I felt like i was in the minority and that most people liked this show then I would be depressed.

People keep comparing Discovery to the Mandalorian in terms of quality and I think it’s a fantastic comparison. The Mandalorian is a brilliant show. Discovery is so bad it is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Really disappointing. So now Burnham is the reason Spock became the man he did. My god.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

GSPfan wrote: »
    Reading all your comments about how bad this show/episode is gives me reason to smile. If I felt like i was in the minority and that most people liked this show then I would be depressed.
    I noticed this pop up on the front page of reddit. It had already been locked.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/k38q1f/i_dont_like_how_saccharine_discovery_is/
    I just sorted the comments by controversial, curious what kind of bile got it locked, but there was nothing much that I could see. So either mods who are too invested in the show not to shut down criticism, or the CBS marketing team have control of that conversation. It is not normal to lock threads without some serious drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Really disappointing. So now Burnham is the reason Spock became the man he did. My god.

This is why you have those you tubers shouting about the sjw takeover of things. I did briefly watch an interview between Will Wheaton, Wesley crusher, and S Martin Green, Mikey Spock about this episode. I think there is a a lot of BS on bought sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

Always a good thing to read three days worth of episode threads then watch the show with low expectations.

Quite enjoyed it

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »

After that insult I have decided to file DIS in with the books and fanfics in my head. It's impossible for me to join the dots from this show to other Trek

Advertisement