Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x07 - 'Unification III' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

liamtech wrote: »
    Id agree with you completely although i was probably tipped over a few weeks back -

I hated the 'Not Real Trek' brigade as it was incredibly obnoxious and arrogant in its presumption to judge (and i couldnt stand the nit picking either - ok the Klingons look different - wow, how unprecedented, cause of course they have never changed before)- that said we are all entitled to our opinion

For comparison - Compare this season with season two Discovery, and the Mandalorian this year (a three way comparison up to date as of this morning)

Season 2 Disco
    • Something serious going on with Saru
    • Ok time travel might be involved#
    • Section 31 are involved]
    • Who or what is control
    • Pike is amazing!
    • Whats the deal with Tilly and her imaginary friend

Possibly slightly weak at times but still enough to keep us interested - re-watched a few high spots and got knee deep in speculation as to whats going on

Mandalorian
    Lots of things in play
    -Thrawn is out there
    -Gideon is there too, is he in league with Thrawn
    -The lab - was that Snoke
    -Baby Yoda's back story
    -Is the Emperor gonna appear
    -Bobba Fett is alive
    -Asoka is back!

Lots of plot lines at play!! and i havent even named them all!

Disco season 3
    • Michaels mam
    • Michaels Boyfriend
    • Michaels relationship with Vulans
    • Michaels relationship with Georgiou
    • Tilly is first Officer
    • The Burn

Only one im interested in is the Burn and we are being drip fed on this, and its getting very old now -

Discovery this season has nose dived in my opinion - its bordering on pathetic, i havent felt this bad about trek since enterprise season 2/3 - and that ended badly

Welcome to the club, you do have to renounce Vic Fontaine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Speaking as a hater of this incarnation this was by far the amongst the worst pieces of trek I’ve ever seen much worse than any Vic Fontaine episode, well almost. At least he had the decency to take several disruptor blasts to the chest but I have a feeling the only way Mikey Spock is going out is if the show is canceled.

Careful pally, I liked Vic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I liked precisely the first 17 mins of that. Mystery at nivar, clear stakes... Then the admiral literally said "tell them Michael Burnham is coming"...

Just because you wink and nod at the audience - Book "your messianic complex" - doesn't mean you can then have character exploit aforementioned complex without annoying people.

Burnham arrived, invoked an ancient custom without informing her boss which could have made matters far worse, but got away with it because she is lucky her mum became a warrior monk and she whisper cried through everything.

That doesn't even mention Stamets immediately liking Tilly as xo... No.. That cynical sassy POS would not take orders from a rookie,let alone lead a you go girl party.

Michael will not follow one order from tilly.

Everything with saru and vulcun lady was good. Admiral was grand.

What happened the nacelles, they looked attached in this ep, thought they were detached?

This show angers me more than WWE, I know I shouldn't watch, it insults my intelligence, I'm just stockholmed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Speaking as a hater of this incarnation this was by far the amongst the worst pieces of trek I’ve ever seen much worse than any Vic Fontaine episode, well almost. At least he had the decency to take several disruptor blasts to the chest but I have a feeling the only way Mikey Spock is going out is if the show is canceled.

If anyone has any hope of this show being anything other than a Michael Burnham centric show then those people are not paying attention.

The only way this show ends is with her becoming Captain of Discovery or by dying in a universe saving heroic act. It’s her show.

I bet this runs for 5 years and she annoyingly whisper cries her way to the end. Whoever is directing or not directing her to act the way she acts needs to be slapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,842 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That... was tough going.
    I can't help feel that the writer was going for a Drumhead/Measure of a Man type episode, and it's just not up to that quality.

This sums up my feeling on it really... you could tell they were trying to invoke that style of Trek, but those episodes were thoughtful and well written, and most importantly actually had something to say. This one felt like someone had skimmed quickly through those, figured "nerds dig courtrooms" and scribbled this one out. Really, the whole escapade was just an excuse for Burnham to do yet more soul searching. Nothing else mattered.

Felt like Burnham didn't ask her Mom anywhere near enough questions about what the fuck she was doing there too.

Tilly... sigh.

And on top of all that, they really do seem to be suggesting that nobody, in 120 years, did this most basic bit of research that Michael's done. No-one, in 120 years, thought to check a few of the ship records for clues. I mean, it's not like they were hard to come by - hundreds of thousands of ships exploded, there must've been black boxes in every local garage sale! Sure even now, 120 years after the event, Burnham on her own has managed to pick up 3 of them in the space of a year. The fact this easily assembled piece of information seems to be news to everyone really hurts my brain.

Side query - how the bejesus in Burnham's year hanging out around the place with a slipstream ship did she not bother to go visit either - or even just ask about - Earth or Vulcan? Her two homes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

AMKC wrote: »
    Which way? To the future or to be before the Burn sometime?

Hadn't thought about forwards at the time but after seeing your question..
    yeah I'm not sure now. Could be either way. I'd been thinking it could be a go back and undo things arc. Really doesn't have to be though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Annoying thing is I really like this crew the few good moments we get with them. Maybe Burnham should f off with book and Discovery get a spin off show
    Also, anyone else annoyed with the scale of Book in his ship, and then the size of the ship in the cargo bay, then the ship must be tiny. I'll be honest, I haven't done much looking about the size compared to other ships. I would have in previous shows. It just seemed small, maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

CramCycle wrote: »
    Also, anyone else annoyed with the scale of Book in his ship, and then the size of the ship in the cargo bay, then the ship must be tiny. I'll be honest, I haven't done much looking about the size compared to other ships. I would have in previous shows. It just seemed small, maybe I'm wrong.

Bigger inside than out. This tech was shown in a 29th century ship on ENT

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Smacruairi wrote: »

That doesn't even mention Stamets immediately liking Tilly as xo... No.. That cynical sassy POS would not take orders from a rookie,let alone lead a you go girl party.

The scene in the spore drive chamber was perfect. Stamets showing all the emotions of shock, disgust, bewilderment. Then that "Just say yes" scene was just weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This sums up my feeling on it really... you could tell they were trying to invoke that style of Trek, but those episodes were thoughtful and well written, and most importantly actually had something to say. This one felt like someone had skimmed quickly through those, figured "nerds dig courtrooms" and scribbled this one out. Really, the whole escapade was just an excuse for Burnham to do yet more soul searching. Nothing else mattered.

This seems to be the consensus by some of the incredibly positive reviews I've seen online, that it's a return to older style Trek dramas, and I just don't see it.There was no legal/scientific/logical argument, no actual debate, the entire concept essentially came down to needing to point out all of Burnhams adventures and having a little cry. I think what has me coming down far harder on this episode is that you can see exactly what they were trying to do, and every Trek series has some courtroom episodes, and they failed miserably in their attempt. Either they should have spent more time putting together where Burnhams argument is going to come from, or they have a b plot looking into the divisions between the Vulcan/Romulan quorum. There is a reason that is the basic structure of all Trek courtroom episodes-moral argument, or investigation into the prosecutors. It works.

I know it's a different show, and technically not comparable, but after watching the Mandalorian last night I did say to my partner that I never thought it would come to the day when I thought a Star Wars show was far stronger than Trek. I like Discovery, I'll keep watching Discovery, but it's just very, very middling and I do struggle to find episodes that are better than "eh, grand". I'm finding with the Mandalorian, two seasons in and not far behind Discovery in terms of episodes, I can't think of a particularly bad episode off the top of my head.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    The scene in the spore drive chamber was perfect. Stamets showing all the emotions of shock, disgust, bewilderment. Then that "Just say yes" scene was just weird.

It was a to line up the “twist” at the end just like mikeys mother lined her up to take the high morale ground.

Do you have an episode number, sounds more like a Tardis than a Federation ship.

Was insinuated first by a Burnham quote and later by her mother

I thought the mother was deliberately hamming up that piece of dialogue just recall her face. Wether that was the actress doing it off her own or she was told to do it I don’t know but she did deliver a line just before “ is this what you were like when you were 12” to Mikey.

This show does unite most trek fans in their hatred of it and thus attracts them to watch it because we can’t help but watch a car crash. Trek fans then go onto social media and unwittingly make this show trend.

What I don’t understand is how the screenwriters think that creating cliche charcters like women who burst into tears constantly does anything to attract new viewers.

Do you have an episode number, sounds more like a Tardis than a Federation ship.

Future Tense, Enterprise. As far as I recall it was a reasonably good episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It was exactly like a tardis. Small shuttle with massive inside.

I'm not a huge ENT fan so I can't remember the episode

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

Future Tense (episode)

latest?cb=20051222072926&path-prefix=en

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

I think if I mentally paint over the words Star Trek: Discovery, with Michael Burnham: Space whisper, the saviour. It might help to actually remember that this isn't Star Trek.

Oh well, at least DS9 and TNG are all on Netflix...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I've given it a day to mull it over, but I'm done. Someone PM me if they kill off Burnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Stark wrote: »

The soundproof, private chat where they then had a perfect conversation with a character who was outside it?!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This seems to be the consensus by some of the incredibly positive reviews I've seen online, that it's a return to older style Trek dramas, and I just don't see it.There was no legal/scientific/logical argument, no actual debate, the entire concept essentially came down to needing to point out all of Burnhams adventures and having a little cry. I think what has me coming down far harder on this episode is that you can see exactly what they were trying to do, and every Trek series has some courtroom episodes, and they failed miserably in their attempt. Either they should have spent more time putting together where Burnhams argument is going to come from, or they have a b plot looking into the divisions between the Vulcan/Romulan quorum. There is a reason that is the basic structure of all Trek courtroom episodes-moral argument, or investigation into the prosecutors. It works.

I know it's a different show, and technically not comparable, but after watching the Mandalorian last night I did say to my partner that I never thought it would come to the day when I thought a Star Wars show was far stronger than Trek. I like Discovery, I'll keep watching Discovery, but it's just very, very middling and I do struggle to find episodes that are better than "eh, grand". I'm finding with the Mandalorian, two seasons in and not far behind Discovery in terms of episodes, I can't think of a particularly bad episode off the top of my head.

Yeah, compare that courtroom to any of the voyager or that ones, night and day.
    It was like a box ticking exercise where nobody understood the point of the exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I liked precisely the first 17 mins of that. Mystery at nivar, clear stakes...

That's been my feeling with every single episode of this season so far. Good start with interesting premises, maybe one or two references to events or places in the Star Trek canon, made me go "oh wait, maybe this one is finally good!" - then it starts going downhill.

Specifically, except maybe the first episode, I found every single episode so far to feature a middle segment that is pure filler - to the point I had to resist the urge to skip forward. Example, the whole tour of the Syndicate facility in ep.6, before they rescue Book...completely pointless and devoid of any exposition - be it around the story, the characters or whatnot.
    This seems to be the consensus by some of the incredibly positive reviews I've seen online, that it's a return to older style Trek dramas, and I just don't see it.

A LOT of discussion places online are baffling like that; It's basically the "any new Trek is good Trek!" suckers, who decide to put their hands on their ears and scream in order not to hear the criticism. I was looking around yesterday - there's an "unofficial" Discovery Reddit that is pure pathetic slobbering of the highest order. You will not find ONE single criticism to any aspects of the show - and then I realized why, the mods just kill the messages. Actually they went as far as defining this episode as "one of the best Star Trek episodes ever". I kid you not.

The biggest achievement of the show's production has been to basically shout down any criticism of the show with screams of racism/misogyny/whatever.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Yeah, compare that courtroom to any of the voyager or that ones, night and day.
    It was like a box ticking exercise where nobody understood the point of the exercise.

Precisely - and the box ticking has been with Discovery since the beginning; The first season has pretty much a "self enclosed mandatory technobabble moment" each episode - and it was so obvious and syncopated in the flow, it really looked silly. Be it Stamets explaining the spore drive, or Burnham showing how much better an engineer she is than the lead engineers, it was always clearly marked, as if the actors were reading a list of madey-uppey sciency sounding terms.

Exacly as if somebody went "oooh, these silly nerds like pretend science talk, ok, how does 'preponderation subdimensional matrix' sound?", with no understanding how the secret to it is exactly to NOT make the "technobabble" especially relevant in the discussion - so that something completely made up sounded at least plausible in the context.

corkie wrote: »

Spock never spoke of his sister (classified at end of S02) across trek series, so why did the Ni'Var know about her at all. Years in the future?

GreeBo wrote: »
    The soundproof, private chat where they then had a perfect conversation with a character who was outside it?!:rolleyes:

When was it ever said that it was soundproof? Georgiou talked to Leland last season when he was locked in it? (Probably activated an Intercom?)

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

To those who are saying they've had enough - Y'all will be back next week posting :)

Next season Burnham's whispering will have evolved to such an extent that she will only be able to communicate using a type of sign-language that she and Spock invented as children. The whole universe will be forced to learn it also. Mirror's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Previous points and when being right can be a bad thing or simply correct:
    Tilly may be made first officer. Yeah I would've preferred not to be right about this suggestion. Even if it's acting, we usually seeing acting become permanent, like Saru. Which is why you pick the experienced person. Though she did travel through a wormhole, so where would Saru find anyone else that fits that criteria? Maybe she'll be like Kirk and just go from ensign to captain in only a couple steps. (Based on the Abrams-verse) I know in my job, if my team lead is out, their duties fall to a senior member of the team.

And the second point I made was Stargate telling me 3 points weren't enough. Glad to see I learned from a tv show while the Chief Science Officer, who grew up with a Vulcan education, was taught by an ensign. Maybe that's why she got the XO job.

During that quorum, I wouldn't have minded someone from the 3rd or 4th row shouting up "We can't hear you! Speak up!"

So did Saru have a thing for the president?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Next season Burnham's whispering will have evolved to such an extent that she will only be able to communicate using a type of sign-language that she and Spock invented as children. The whole universe will be forced to learn it also. Mirror's too.

Sounds like The 100 series.

Watched it today and it made me note two clear things, one, I never actually watched all of Enterprise and two, I knew more about all of the characters even though at this point I have seen more of Discovery.

It was an okay episode and it was nice that they simply refused to wrap up loose ends, they didn't know the answers and that was that.

It was an okay episode and it was nice that they simply refused to wrap up loose ends, they didn't know the answers and that was that.

Oh if you think that's a loose end they never wrapped up I'm guessing you've yet to see the magic AI space station that repairs ships! Dead Stop, great little episode....I may have rewatched a small bit of older Trek series during lockdown Mk 1!

Oh if you think that's a loose end they never wrapped up I'm guessing you've yet to see the magic AI space station that repairs ships! Dead Stop, great little episode....I may have rewatched a small bit of older Trek series during lockdown Mk 1!

Shows how good old trek shows where that I have good memories of that episode 18 years later. Discovery probably won't leave such an impression.

Dead Stop (episode)

S02E04 Dead Stop Episode aired 9 October 2002

MV5BNGNiMmE2YWUtNmY3MC00NDk1LWFmZjgtNDRjZmJiZTg0YmU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ3MjU3NTU@._V1_UY268_CR147,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Re-watched Season 2 of discovery recently and had forgotten most episodes in the year. General memories of the overall plot but not specific episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

To those who are saying they've had enough - Y'all will be back next week posting :)

Yep, that's me. Had a moan that I was giving up on it on the overall thread. Kept watching.

Still muck, although that episode was fairly Trekish. Too much yapping though.

"Say yes"
    "Say yes"
    "Say yes"

Advertisement